What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What major film company do you think would own Gamera?

Universal
8%
Paramount
No votes
Warner Bros.
24%
Walt Disney
44%
Sony
No votes
MGM
No votes
Lionsgate
No votes
Other
24%

Total votes: 25

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: What major film studio do you think would own Gamera?

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:56 am What is with this asinine insistance that Disney (clearly that's what studio Voyager is talking about) is killing everything it touches?

I guess a point could be made about Star Wars, but modern Star Wars has always kind of sucked. Meanwhile the Marvel films still make assloads of money, and these films have turned obscure (to the mainstream) characters into household names. Doesn't seem like a franchise they've "killed".

So what else? Pixar? "Lightyear" didn't do well, can't deny that. But "Turning Red", "Luca" and "Soul" were all extremely well received when they hit streaming and would have done just fine financially if they had been released theatrically. The last two Pixar films before those - "Toy Story 4" and "Incredibles 2" made over $1 billion each at the box office. So can we stop being stupid about this?

I dont want any American studio handling Gamera. Not because the studios suck, but because it doesn't NEED to happen. Especially because I don't think an Americanized take on Gamera would reply be true to the character.
Do you think that theoretically, a movie could be ruined just by existing?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

.......what?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:50 pm .......what?
You just said that a hypothetical Hollywood Gamera film does not NEED to exist, regardless of whether or not every major studio sucks. Do you feel that a ton of heart and effort put into such a project would not be enough to justify it being made either?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 pm
You just said that a hypothetical Hollywood Gamera film does not NEED to exist, regardless of whether or not every major studio sucks. Do you feel that a ton of heart and effort put into such a project would not be enough to justify it being made either?
TBH I think with the right people involved, a Hollywood Gamera COULD be good..

But I'd much prefer if Kadokawa brought him back first, because if a hypothetical Hollywood Gamera film were to be made, it'd likely not do too well on account on most people not knowing him. Bring him back in his home country where he's at least SOMEWHAT more well known.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:58 pm

But I'd much prefer if Kadokawa brought him back first, because if a hypothetical Hollywood Gamera film were to be made, it'd likely not do too well on account on most people not knowing him. Bring him back in his home country where he's at least SOMEWHAT more well known.
With the right people involved, literally ANYTHING could be good.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

To be fair, I wasn’t just talking about Disney. Paramount’s killed HALO recently.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:37 pm To be fair, I wasn’t just talking about Disney. Paramount’s killed HALO recently.
Yet they did Sonic the Hedgehog justice twice in a row and they successfully brought back Top Gun.

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:55 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:37 pm To be fair, I wasn’t just talking about Disney. Paramount’s killed HALO recently.
Yet they did Sonic the Hedgehog justice twice in a row and they successfully brought back Top Gun.
Yeah to be fair to Paramount, Microsoft/343 have been doing everything imaginable to murder Halo for over a decade now. And as the owners of the IP, Microsoft has been perfectly approving of all that Paramount has done with the Halo series and seem excited to continue (YAY! :roll: ). So I'm not going to place much blame on Paramount other than adding to the misery by helping assemble a creative team that didn't give a flying goose turd about Halo.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:02 pm
Gigantis wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:58 pm

With the right people involved, literally ANYTHING could be good.
I mean, to be honest, Gamera is kind of an absurd concept. I could see it catching on. However, I could just as easily see it flopping. The effects would have to be good. As much as I hate to say it, I think the public would eat up a Michael Bay produced Gamera lol.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^How is it any more absurd than Godzilla?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:07 pm ^How is it any more absurd than Godzilla?
I mean, I know we're all kaiju fans in here, but are you serious?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:28 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:07 pm ^How is it any more absurd than Godzilla?
You could argue that Kaiju are as absurd a concept as one would consider superheroes.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Lol thanks for the laugh.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I question how the concept of kaijus/giant monsters is absurd because if such an event of one attacking happened, no one would sure be laughing.

Cloverfield and the original Godzilla (1954) notably depicted how terrifying a kaiju/giant monster attack on a city would be.

We only laugh now because it ain't real nor happening to us.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:11 am
Lol thanks for the laugh.
I aim to please.

Godzilla is all sorts of absurd, yes. He is not rocket powered flying turtle absurd.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:51 am
You could argue that Kaiju are as absurd a concept as one would consider superheroes.

They are, you're not wrong. There's definitely a subconscious double standard at play here. But as far as kaiju specifically go, Godzilla comes across as less absurd than Gamera simply because he's so basic. Godzilla, if we use an 'average' '60s/Heisei/Millennium/MV type incarnation as our benchmark, is essentially just an oversized dinosaur that breaths 'fire', a concept which flies because we're so familiar with it through dragons. His regeneration and internal nuclear reactor and all those other weird elements aren't relevant here because they aren't readily visible; the average non-fan could casually watch the whole series and hardly know they exist.

Gamera being an oversized turtle is a little weirder from the start just because dinosaurs are at least expected to be huge. Being bipedal is also unexpected for a turtle. The fire-breathing kind of looks stranger coming from a turtle; dinosaurs are similar to dragons, and treated like monsters in pop culture anyway. Turtles typically aren't. Then Gamera can fly via built-in rocket thrusters. That's a big leap because it's biologically impossible and not even a familiar ability to make up for it. Also, again, he's a turtle, and flying is way outside their wheelhouse. Then he can pull in his head and limbs and spin around to fly like a flying saucer, and somehow navigate perfectly while he does it. I hope the lunacy is self explanatory, there. And then on top of THAT, he is the Friend to all Children, or at least forms mystical voodoo doll connections with teenage girls. And that's not even getting into how bonkers his movies typically are, even by genre standards.

But yeah, as shadowgigan said, none of this is bad from a fan's POV. The GA may not be as forgiving.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Godzilla fits with the west’s image of a fire-breathing dragon, which is why it was able to get more recognition. The reason why the GA would have a harder time with Gamera is because he is distinctively more eastern in concept. In case you couldn’t already tell, Gamera’s inspirations lie a lot more in Asian mythology, specifically with the mythical tortoise of the north, Genbu. Genbu is one of four divine beats of the four directions, including Byakko, the white Tiger of the West, Seiryu, the azure dragon of the East and Suzuki, the Vermillion Phoenix of the South.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:49 am To be clear, by "absurd," I meant "absurd" in the most loving way possible.
Same. I love Gamera's craziness and stuff.

Quote of the Year:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:54 am I question how the concept of kaijus/giant monsters is absurd because if such an event of one attacking happened, no one would sure be laughing.

Cloverfield and the original Godzilla (1954) notably depicted how terrifying a kaiju/giant monster attack on a city would be.

We only laugh now because it ain't real nor happening to us.
Exactly this.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image