Poll: What do you think the next Gamera film should be about?

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.

What should the next Gamera film be about

Continuation of the Heisei Trilogy
8%
Continuation of Gamera the Brave
3%
Make the 2015 short a full film
23%
Godzilla crossover
10%
Something entirely new
58%

Total votes: 40

o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Poll: What do you think the next Gamera film should be about?

Post by o.supreme »

I just found the below quote from August Ragone on another message board in May 2006
That [Leoman] was originally reported in an article about Daiei fantasy films in an early 1970s issue of Cinefantastique. There were a lot of titles thrown around for almost all the films, some with "Gamera vs. (insert name) Monster (insert name)" on their covers -- before final names were decided upon, monster names were always in development, and tossed around, before they registered the final moniker to be used (the monster slated for that film was eventually named "Garasharp").

I just looked this up, and the screenplay in question was titled "Gamera vs. Twin Monster W" (Gamera tai Futari Kaiju W), which was a placeholder title. I have never seen anything official concerning that "Leoman" title, sans the aforementioned Cinefantastique retrospective (although it may have originated from one of the many names that would be tossed around for Gamera's adversaries).
This makes sense, as the actual book I have that includes "Gamera vs Leoman" (1971) was published in 1975. The author, Jeff Rovin, probably used the article August mentioned as his source.

So, even if it was a placeholder monster name, and nothing else, I'd still like to see it used on a future Gamera film, just for posterity sake 8-) .
Last edited by o.supreme on Wed May 26, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

There are no online Japanese sources that mention レオマン (assuming that's what "Leoman" was romanized from) in association with the Gamera series. The only hit from Google is the English Gamera Wiki, which is an awful website ala Gojipedia.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

o.supreme wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:48 am I just found the below quote from August Ragone on another message board in May 2006
That [Leoman] was originally reported in an article about Daiei fantasy films in an early 1970s issue of Cinefantastique. There were a lot of titles thrown around for almost all the films, some with "Gamera vs. (insert name) Monster (insert name)" on their covers -- before final names were decided upon, monster names were always in development, and tossed around, before they registered the final moniker to be used (the monster slated for that film was eventually named "Garasharp").

I just looked this up, and the screenplay in question was titled "Gamera vs. Twin Monster W" (Gamera tai Futari Kaiju W), which was a placeholder title. I have never seen anything official concerning that "Leoman" title, sans the aforementioned Cinefantastique retrospective (although it may have originated from one of the many names that would be tossed around for Gamera's adversaries).
This makes sense, as the actual book I have that includes "Gamera vs Leoman" (1971) was published in 1975. The author, Jeff Rovin, probably used the article August mentioned as his source.

So, even if it was a placeholder monster name, and nothing else, I'd still like to see it used on a future Gamera film, just for posterity sake 8-) .
Oh, I remember a similar book, unless it's the same one one you've got. It's called A Pictorial History of Science Fiction Films. It called Gamera vs. Leoman "another prehistoric fun-fest" and Rovin practically waxed poetic on Godzilla's Revenge, calling it his favorite G-film and also saying it was way better than what he called "the Saturday morning TV cartoon tripe". In fact, at the end of the book he had absolutely no kind words to say about any Saturday morning cartoon sci-fi TV shows.

In fact, I also remember, on a similar note, that Mick Martin and Marsha Porter in their book Video Movie Guide for Kids (which they never updated beyond the first edition, btw) absolutely trashed - no, insulted - Hanna-Barbera's various cartoon TV series.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed May 26, 2021 1:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Terasawa wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:01 pm There are no online Japanese sources that mention レオマン (assuming that's what "Leoman" was romanized from) in association with the Gamera series. The only hit from Google is the English Gamera Wiki, which is an awful website ala Gojipedia.
I think that was where I saw Leoman mentioned in reference to the unmade Ice-man Gamera sequel, which smelled like bull pucky immediately. I'm pretty sure the actual Leoman page on the site listed it as being the idea before Zigra like in the aforementioned Cinefatastique article and book. I don't for the life of me understand why some of these Wiki pages can't bother to fact check themselves. Why post fraudulent info? Rarely is it as interesting as the true stories about these films.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

mikelcho wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:52 pm Oh, I remember a similar book, unless it's the same one one you've got. It's called A Pictorial History of Science Fiction Films. It called Gamera vs. Leoman "another prehistoric fun-fest" and Rovin practically waxed poetic on Godzilla's Revenge, calling it his favorite G-film and also saying it was way better than what he called "the Saturday morning TV cartoon tripe". In fact, at the end of the book he had absolutely no kind words to say about any Saturday morning cartoon sci-fi TV shows.
Yep. that's the one.

One of several books I inherited it from my dad. Funny enough, I also have from the same Author (Rovin). I have a small pocket book entitled "Hollywood Dinosaur", which I cannot find at the moment, I also have the Encyclopedia of Monsters which he published in 1990 (I bought this Brand New from Walden Books). I found out later about Rovin' previous Superhero/Villain encyclopedias, but those didn't interest me so much.

As for saturday Morning cartoons...well in the 70's they were pretty bad. I mean in the 60's you had Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Herculoids, (all of which I enjoy to this day) but not much else representing sci-fi. I don't count superheroes as Sci-Fi, though i guess some people do. Filmation did what they could with a lackluster Budget, as did Marvel. yeah the content was pretty bad, but I still find it entertaining It wasn't until the 80's when creative workarounds for Violence on cartoons, and of course the abolishment of the ban against cartoons promoting toys opened the door for much better animated series (Yes most of them were 22 minute commercials in the 80's and 90's, but several of them transcended that). . Superhero animation hit their peak in the 90's, with a couple *hits* in the 2000's, but since Avengers EMH ended, Marvel's animation hasn't produced anything of note since 2012. As for DC., nothing really good on TV other than the occasional direct to home media film, and Young Justice.

Just to tie this all together... In an early episode of Justice League Unlimited Season 2. The heroes of the DC Universe find themselves fighting a familiar (but legally distinguishable) opponent 8-)

Last edited by o.supreme on Wed May 26, 2021 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:21 pm I don't for the life of me understand why some of these Wiki pages can't bother to fact check themselves. Why post fraudulent info? Rarely is it as interesting as the true stories about these films.
Probably because some of them are run by teens and preteens, which I think is the case for the Gamera Wiki. Honestly, a Gamera Wiki is pretty irrelevant since Wikizilla (the good one) covers the same content much more professionally.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

o.supreme wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:48 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:52 pm Oh, I remember a similar book, unless it's the same one one you've got. It's called A Pictorial History of Science Fiction Films. It called Gamera vs. Leoman "another prehistoric fun-fest" and Rovin practically waxed poetic on Godzilla's Revenge, calling it his favorite G-film and also saying it was way better than what he called "the Saturday morning TV cartoon tripe". In fact, at the end of the book he had absolutely no kind words to say about any Saturday morning cartoon sci-fi TV shows.
Yep. that's the one.

One of several books I inherited it from my dad. Funny enough, I also have from the same Author (Rovin). I have a small pocket book entitled "Hollywood Dinosaur", which I cannot find at the moment, I also have the Encyclopedia of Monsters which he published in 1990 (I bought this Brand New from Walden Books). I found out later about Rovin' previous Superhero/Villain encyclopedias, but those didn't interest me so much.

As for saturday Morning cartoons...well in the 70's they were pretty bad. I mean in the 60's you had Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Herculoids, (all of which I enjoy to this day) but not much else representing sci-fi. I don't count superheroes as Sci-Fi, though i guess some people do. Filmation did what they could with a lackluster Budget, as did Marvel. yeah the content was pretty bad, but I still find it entertaining It wasn't until the 80's when creative workarounds for Violence on cartoons, and of course the abolishment of the ban against cartoons promoting toys opened the door for much better animated series (Yes most of them were 22 minute commercials in the 80's and 90's, but several of them transcended that). . Superhero animation hit their peak in the 90's, with a couple *hits* in the 2000's, but since Avengers EMH ended, Marvel's animation hasn't produced anything of note since 2012. As for DC., nothing really good on TV other than the occasional direct to home media film, and Young Justice.

Just to tie this all together... In an early episode of Justice League Unlimited Season 2. The heroes of the DC Universe find themselves fighting a familiar (but legally distinguishable) opponent 8-)

Well, I wouldn't say all of the 1970s Saturday morning cartoon TV series were bad. In fact, a few of my favorites are:

*Wacky Races,
*Dastardly and Muttley in Their Flying Machines,
*The Perils of Penelope Pitstop,
*Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Groovie Goolies,
*The Ghost Busters (yes, I know, it's live action, but still...).

There were even two episodes of The ABC Weekend Special that I liked (and that I wish would be released on DVD or Blu-ray):

*"The Trouble with Miss Switch",
*"Miss Switch to the Rescue".

UPDATE: I just found out last night that the two Miss Switch specials were released on VHS as The Miss Switch Mystery Special. It's not available on DVD or Blu-ray, however, and Warner Home Video currently owns both of them. This is a perfect release for Warner Archive.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu May 27, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think that if they made a new Gamera film, they should salvage the whole "Ice Giant" idea.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

A continuation/expansion on the 2015 short.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Ive kicked around the idea of a American reboot where Gamera reawakens in the Arctic and begins to defend the world from Gyaos. He gets wounded and ends up bonding with a group of kids who nurse him back to help, before facing the main villain: a war machine the military trusts more then Gamera for being more controllable that they attempt to sell to the kids, only for it to become active and reveal according to it's programing, EVERYTHING is collateral to succed at killing the Gyaos

Added in 2 minutes 23 seconds:
I'd also love to see Brave get a continuation though

RIP Evan.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

A continuation of the Heisei Trilogy would betray the ambiguous ending of G3, and while Brave is wonderful, it works best as a standalone.

I’d have to go with something completely new, just because I personally have no interest in an official Godzilla/Gamera crossover and the only real appeal of the 2015 short becoming a full movie for me would be to see more of that tentacle monster.

Whether the new thing should have an original monster or an updated Showa kaiju that isn’t Gyaos (because of the Heisei trilogy knocking it out of the park with them), I don’t know, I’d prefer both.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Enemy wise, I think Barugon would be a good choice if you want a revamped foe. You could play off the fire vs ice aspect of the kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I want a dark “cheesy” Gamera film for the next reboot
Look at the old films

Parasite body horror, aliens wearing corpses as disgusies, attempts to eat the brains of children, a giant blood-obsessed monster feeding on people and livestock…Its like a Goosebumps book!

(Except without kids, not because I find them annoying but because the more I learn about how the industry uses child actors and spts them out.)

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Yeah...I feel like Tim Burton could have had a field day with a Mars Attacks! style Gamera film in the 90s.

I say go with something completely new...but the 2015 short was that in some regard. So 6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other between 'turn the 2015 short into a film' and 'do something completely new'

Hoping that it happens though...I feel like we are so ripe for a Gamera reboot. One that could easily look at the last few years of Godzilla films, from Shin to the Monsterverse to the Anime Trilogy....look at everything they did well and not well...and possibly make one film that somehow one-ups all of them.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I honestly think the best way to do a Godzilla and Gamera crossover would be to have rival invading aliens from eachother's franchises mind control the monster of the other company.
Like say Zigra takes control of Godzilla and the Millenians take control of Gamera.
Eventually the mind control is broken during the 2nd fight and the aliens are forced to cooperate against Gamera and Godzilla turning their attention on them.
I'd think it end with Godzilla roaring a challenge to Gamera, and Gamera, disinterested and his job done just ignoring Godzilla and flying off and leaving Godzilla to declare victory.
Animated might be the best way to do it.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Another possibility could be to combine the Showa origin with the Atlantis origin of the Heisei films. Have anthropologists research Inuit folklore and come upon a ruin that they won't let anyone near. One researcher disturbs the ruins and awakens a kaiju that is reminiscent of Zigra, but can fly. The other researchers and an Inuit priest journey to a shrine and set it on fire, waking up the only thing that can stop it, Gamera. Though Zigra is clearly the villain of the film, Gamera would be shown as less caring of human life as it seeks to destroy Zigra.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I'm in the crowd that thinks that they should start up a whole new continuity. As for Gamera's opponent, I think they should give Gyaos a break and bring in a whole new foe.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Couple of things I would prefer over others. I definitely do not want to revisit the trilogy, have a sequel to Gamera: The Brave nor do I want them to do something with that 2016 trailer. While that was good and awesome, I can already tell it'll just be the plot of GoTU with more flashy effects.

As a Godzilla fan, I will never give up my hopes for an eventual showdown. Don't care how it's done, but it can be done without hurting each other's character in the long run. Surely Godzilla would win (bow down to Toho), but damn I still want to see it. And I'd love for a few other iconic kaiju be thrown in (Godzilla tangling with a Gyaos and Gamera blasting Ghidorah please).

Gamera vs. Mecha-Gamera. I imagine we could have gotten this if Daiei didn't fizzle out in the 70s. I don't even care if it'd be a copy of Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla, I want to see a giant, mechanical Gamera armed to the teeth. Tusk missiles, chainsaw-imbedded shell edge, etc.

Destroy All Monsters Giant Kaiju. Don't act like you don't want to see a Gamera equivalent to a DAM-style movie (Super Monster doesn't count) where it brings back almost all the kaiju in one way or another.

I really want to see Barugon, Guiron, Zigra and Viras return. There's a ton of untapped potential in them. I'd love to see the Gyaos flock idea mixed more with the Showa one. Maybe have ONE large one with the "modern" look they always give Gyaos but with the colors of Showa Gyaos controlling/leading the smaller ones to populated areas to feed/reproduce. Also not against more new kaiju as well.

Just give me more Gamera.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I would very much prefer if they held back on Gyaos temporarily.