Official Ultraman Decker Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Official Ultraman Decker Thread

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:32 am
daveblackeye15 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:42 pm Is this a new tradition? Introducing the magic form with an over-powered power but won't get used again?

Z's Gamma Future: Shrinks and goes inside kaiju and blows them up from inside.
Decker's Miracle Form: Turns kaiju back into its juvenile form.
So he'll just beat all the monsters like that. Oh maybe not any robot monsters I guess.
Ultras with instant win powers they use once and never again are hardly anything new. All the way back to the very first series, Ultraman has powers that could instantly restrain violent opponents, levitate them in the air, and then slice them in half.

Decker #5 was pretty solid. Best Eleking-centric episode in a long, long time.

And yeah, skipping next episode. Can't believe they're doing a recap after only 5 god damn episodes. And bringing back one of the absolute worst parts of Trigger to do it. No thanks.
Yeah that's fair and I was being a little more humorous. I'll defend the new shows from people saying 'new powers!?' or 'will power gives them a new ability or second wind!?' Uh remember how in Ace the other Ultras are beaten and Ace gets beaten by Ace Killer then they all give him their power and he does Space Q? Never mind the meteor going to hit two parter getting wrapped up really quick suddenly.
This was a very cute Eleking.

spookymizu
Ronin

Post by spookymizu »

RE: Recap episode

I believe it's a holiday weekend in Japan next weekend. The Obon Festival is during the weekend, and many Japanese take vacations during that time. It's also Mountain Day on Thursday, so perhaps the combination of these make it a poor time to promote a new episode - much in the same way new episodes of shows won't show during Thanksgiving or Xmas in the US.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

The Eleking episode was downright adorable. I can't believe how solid (not perfect, but consistently entertaining) this show's been so far. The awfulness of Trigger came close to killing any momentum I might have for new installments, but I'm glad to say I was overreacting.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Looks like Pagos won't be alone in next week's episode. Well, unless tentacles is some new Reiwa ability that I've missed.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

After completely abandoning the Trigger Train, I'm finally watching Decker again, and I'm caught up to the Eleking episode.

A few things, overall, before more standard weekly reviews:

-I enjoy the premise of the Earth being cut off from space. That gives it more tangible goal (Earth Liberation). My only complaint as of now is that the Sphere Aliens feel like nameless blobs and generic invaders. However, I'm aware that probably over time we'll get more and more revelations as to what is going on.

-Already, the series has done something interesting. With Eleking and the alien that accomapnies it, we get a problem of other aliens being stuck on/seperated from Earth. It's a nice detail that takes advantage of the show's premise, and I hope there's more episodes that take advantage of this.

-I'm intrigued by the miracle form. I prefer it over the "yeah Ultraman gets STRONG" form that we've seen a dozen or so times.

-I hope the Monstar Weapon Creature makes a return. Cool design and there could be a lot more backstory to them,
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Decker sticks to landing yet again! Ryumon has a really interesting backstory.
Spoiler:
He grew up with rich parents, but once a monster attacked and killed them, he realized that he couldn't just be bought things in life anymore. He had to EARN them. I don't think that's been done before, so he's pretty unique.
Spoiler:
I was also about to say that "Man, it's kinda weird to have Gudon show up without Twin-Tail, but then a whole COLONY appears!.. In the background. I understand why though; the suit looks pretty stiff. Think it's about ready to retire. Telesdon was also a welcome surprise, though I could've sworn Gomess was also teased. Or maybe it was the magazine's fooling us again lol.
Next week: the return of SMILE SMILE MAN.
Spoiler:
The title makes it sounds like he's been holding out on Mars and nobody on Earth knew because the Sphere's cut off communication.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Episode 06 is prolly my favorite so far. Such an old school type of monster mash. Seeing Gudon and Pagos again was great, especially since Gudon is my all time favorite Ultra kaiju and it's been a long ass time. Curious to see how the next episode plays out and how Megalothor gets linked to the Spheres.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

So those folks in that office building totally died, right? I can't remember the last time we've gotten numerous human casualties in a series.

But yeah, real fun episode this week. Absolutely would not have been out of place during the Showa era. Shame that Twin Tail hasn't got a usable suit anymore, tho.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:35 pm Looks like Pagos won't be alone in next week's episode. Well, unless tentacles is some new Reiwa ability that I've missed.
And look at that! I was right!

Anywho, I really enjoyed this episode. Was not expecting the climactic fight to be that big. However, next week... I'm not even cautiously optimistic for the crossover, just cautiously cautious.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Liked this episode a lot. I liked when Pagos charged, and you got that perspective from inside the building. Likewise, when Pagos jumps out of the ground, a lot of cool camera work there. Fighting underground, with a lot of monsters, even if it was short, was really cool. It added a unique setting that's mostly rare in modern Ultraman shows.

What's the next episode a crossover with? The original Tiga, featuring the final monster?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:50 pm What's the next episode a crossover with? The original Tiga, featuring the final monster?
Trigger.

sorry if i missed a joke im a bit dense sometimes

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Really good episode, I was expecting a second Pagos but we just got a big monster mash, Miracle doing Miracle stuff, the underground scenes really stood out as a different setting.

Rewatching the preview for next week, I thought was a Trigger Truth key was Trigger/Decker so a new fusion form I guess?
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So I'm hearing the underground cavern was created using the Volume instead of green-screen. If true, that honestly makes that setpiece even cooler.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Volume? Like a perspective trick or some kind of tool?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:18 am Volume? Like a perspective trick or some kind of tool?
The latter. It's basically modern rear-projection, to put it simply, and it's been replacing chroma-key as the primary compositing technique in filmmaking for the past 3 years.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'll say that the underground scene did feel a bit more dynamic and interesting than most of the large artifical landscapes we've seen before. I'm not saying it's perfect, but if that tool that Cryptid Liker is talking about "volume" was really used effectively.

The modern Ultraman Franchise is so weird and a mixed bag. Occasianlly you'll have really expiremental techniques still used, and a lot of great camera work, but then you'll get flat and dull episodes.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Sphere Redking looks awesome

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

New leaks from (presumably) Televi-kun show that not only are we getting the aforementioned Sphere Red King but also...
Spoiler:
Alien Gregore, a new form of Basser, and Neosaurus!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:52 am New leaks from (presumably) Televi-kun show that not only are we getting the aforementioned Sphere Red King but also...
Spoiler:
Alien Gregore, a new form of Basser, and Neosaurus!
An actual return of Neosaurus? I'll be happy, really interested to see how they use his helix beam. I believe Gregore and a Fake Decker were part of prior toy leaks.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Neosaurus is back, confirmed! Along with our first looks at a new Deathfacer, a new Basser, Gregole and Sphere Red King!

Love the fact Neosaurus, my favorite kaiju from Dyna, is returning. Looks like they enlarged the head, which I am cool with.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year: