Why is Tsuburaya so obsessed with Gubila?

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Why is Tsuburaya so obsessed with Gubila?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey there, LegendZilla here with another thread. This time, I want to discuss a particular Ultra-kaiju of which has become quite prevalent in recent years, if not a little too much. The kaiju in question is none other than the Narwhal-esque Gubila.

This character has showed up in at least one episode of over half of every new Ultra-program made since the "New Generation Era" began with Ginga. Understandably, most audiences will be getting pretty damn tired of seeing him so frequently. Can anyone care to speculate as to why Tsuburaya Productions has become so overly reliant on this monster? I saw someone suggest that maybe Gubila suits are just easy to make. What are your theories? One idea I have is that he has the similar "cute" charm as Toho's Baragon.

Feedback will be much appreciated. Peace out.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Why is Tsuburaya so obsessed with Gubila?

Post by JAGzilla »

I haven't seen any of the New Generation shows, but I'm glad and pleasantly surprised that Gubila became popular and was revived. He was one of the more memorable kaiju from the original Ultraman show, and his design has a ton of goofy charm.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:08 pm I haven't seen any of the New Generation shows, but I'm glad and pleasantly surprised that Gubila became popular and was revived. He was one of the more memorable kaiju from the original Ultraman show, and his design has a ton of goofy charm.
There's plenty of kaiju in the franchise that match that criteria, but why must everyone be spoiled with just one?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

What makes Tsuburaya “obsessed” with Gubila? Would you say they were obsessed with Zetton or Gomora?
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm What makes Tsuburaya “obsessed” with Gubila? Would you say they were obsessed with Zetton or Gomora?
Until just the last decade, Gubila is a kaiju who showed up just once back in 1966. Tsuburaya suddenly salvaging him from the Showa era and developing a subsequent fixation on him just seems a bit out of left field. Monsters like Gomora and Zetton left a big impact when they first showed up and built up popularity with the passage of time. So naturally, Tsupro would treat us to such kaiju every now and then to capitalize.

Gubila however, does not seem quite like the same story to me.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:16 pm
Voyager wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:13 pm What makes Tsuburaya “obsessed” with Gubila? Would you say they were obsessed with Zetton or Gomora?
Until just the last decade, Gubila is a kaiju who showed up just once back in 1966. Tsuburaya suddenly salvaging him from the Showa era and developing a subsequent fixation on him just seems a bit out of left field. Monsters like Gomora and Zetton left a big impact when they first showed up and built up popularity with the passage of time. So naturally, Tsupro would treat us to such kaiju every now and then.
Well, I guess that is a bit odd, randomly bringing him back from the grave.
For Emperor and Empire!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Or literally a dozen other Ultraman monsters. They made a new suit, had it available, and it's a very basic monster that doesn't require much explanation of why it might reappear (versus something like Greeza).
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Gubila's got a simplistic/effective design and can have simple reasons why it can appear in a show.

- Disturbed by the activities of mankind.
- Driven out of his territory by another sea monster.
- Looking for food on land.
- Mind controlled by an antagonistic alien.

Or in Trigger's case, A subspecies/variant that has adapted to live on land (Which is pretty cool imo.) chasing after a signal from an ancient relic.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I know he was in Ultraman Saga...was that his first modern appearance? It seems TPC is the master of reuse, and that is fine. But what started with Max, bringing back Showa Kaiju, and expanded on in Mebius has been a solid trend. They also pull out occasional Kaiju from older series such as Nexus it TDG. I think after the Ultra Galaxy movie and it's 100 Kaiju, they kept these suits as best they could to lower the budget. Now most New Age" series that have an average of 25 episodes will only introduce 3 or 4 new Kaiju, with the rest being responses of previous ones..it's a smart strategy, as long as they keep the rotation going, but admittedly, yes some get overused. Bemstar is one of my favorites from RoU. But he has been in popping up quite a bit recently as well.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

You know, the Gubila episode is like the only Ultraman '66 episode I actively dislike.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:15 pm You know, the Gubila episode is like the only Ultraman '66 episode I actively dislike.
I'd seen the entire show when BCI/Mill Creek released their DVD sets. When I was rewatching the series via dubbed YouTube uploads only a few years later, I had absolutely no recollection of that episode; it had totally wiped itself from my memory. I also had to look it up just now because I couldn't remember what "the Gubila episode" is, lol.

I'm not so familiar with the series today that I could definitively say which is my least favorite episode, but that one is a *strong* contender.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ It's a whole lot of waiting around and actors pretending to be underwater.

You get a lot of old scifi shows that fall into that trap of just making time to fill the episode, and Ultraman usually doesn't do that.
Last edited by Angilasman on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Okay, I think this topic has run its course.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.