Wow Wow DAINA! Ultraman Dyna thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Wow Wow DAINA! Ultraman Dyna thread

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I just started Ultraman Dyna and was surprised to find there's no thread for Asuka and his alter-ego!
Only a few episodes in and I dig the show a lot. It's got a tough act to follow with Tiga but I like that it seems to be pulling a lot of inspiration from Return of Ultraman.
I also like that Dyna's base form reminds me of Zone Fighter ๐Ÿ˜…
Anybody else dig Dyna?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: โ†‘Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Wow Wow DAINA! Ultraman Dyna thread

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I may have asked this before, but how would you feel if Dyna was given a "New Generation" counterpart like how Tiga does with Trigger?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:51 pm I know I may have asked this before, but how would you feel if Dyna was given a "New Generation" counterpart like how Tiga does with Trigger?
I really hope it happens.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:06 pm
LegendZilla wrote: โ†‘Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:51 pm I know I may have asked this before, but how would you feel if Dyna was given a "New Generation" counterpart like how Tiga does with Trigger?
I really hope it happens.
What do you think such an Ultra could be like? For example, what do you think a good name for him will be and what will he look like?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I've caught a few of the more important episodes (including the finale & film) and it's quite good. I can't wait to finish everything from the TDG trilogy, but I can safely say this revival of Ultraman era is truly something special. And yeah, Dyna definitely has a stronger Showa vibe to it, for instance the Lieflasher resembles an updated Beta Capsule. I think Dyna possesses a variant of the Ultra Slash as well.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

So I just finished Dyna via the Mill Creek DVD set. Unlike Tiga which I have been familiar with since it first came out in 1996, I had not watched the whole series of Dyna until now. Previously I had only seen the movie, and a few random episodes.

Overall, I liked it more than I expected to. My Tiga bias definitely was strong, but Dyna's series finale especially impressed me, I'd say it's definitely on par with Tiga's. Also, it seems TPC wasn't thinking long term at the time. While each hero is alive a the end of their respective series, it defintely makes any comebacks difficult. As the Ultraman resurgence was new, TPC probably didn't know how long it would last.

As for watching in chronological order, even though the OVA and Film are on the last disc, it seems best to watch the film "Ultraman Tiga & Ultraman Dyna: Warriors of the Star of Light" after episode 34, and watch the OVA "The Return of Hanejiro" after episode 47.

Well it's on to Gaia...Again, I've only seen the movie, and a couple random episodes, and that's it. Will it be better, worse, or just as good as Tiga and Dyna ? (also considering this is a new continuity)... we shall see.
Last edited by o.supreme on Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I started this about two weeks ago, via the Mill Creek DVD and so far, I'm really enjoying it. My only other experience with Dyna, was the two movies he was in, and I barely remember those to be honest. I'm actually starting to like Dyna a little bit more than Tiga but both are amazing shows. Can't wait to get into Gaia, but that probably won't be for another month or two.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Okay, I'm 20+ episodes in and I'm really loving Dyna. It's interesting, Tiga has the more fleshed out characters and occasionally really dramatic episodes, and Dyna is this 180 into goofy characters and a sillier tone but it's just irresistibly charming. There are some excellent episodes of Tiga, and I don't think any Dyna episode so far has hit the highs of a really great Tiga episode, but when you take the cumulative view? I think I enjoy this series more.

Tiga feels like a '90s update on '60s Ultraman and Dyna feels like the '90s update of '70s Ultraman.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^If only Ultraman was prevalent in the 80's.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Been watching more of Dyna, and it really is dynamic as much as it is incredible. Shin Asuka has quickly rose to become one of my top favourite Ultra hosts! Tsuruno is pretty funny on instagram too.

I can't get enough of "Kimi Dake o Mamoritai"! The lyrics reasonate with me and have greatly impacted my understanding of Ultraman, especially in writing this Ultra story I've been working on the past two years.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:26 am Been watching more of Dyna, and it really is dynamic as much as it is incredible. Shin Asuka has quickly rose to become one of my top favourite Ultra hosts! Tsuruno is pretty funny on instagram too.

I can't get enough of "Kimi Dake o Mamoritai"! The lyrics reasonate with me and have greatly impacted my understanding of Ultraman, especially in writing this Ultra story I've been working on the past two years.
You can't just say this and expect no one to notice. Will it be on TK when finished?

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Just finished Dyna last week and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it more than Tiga, not to say Tiga is bad series, this one just resonated with me more for some reason. I really like how Tiga characters showed up throughout the series, that was a nice callback and gave the show some continuity.

I think my only complaint with the show is actually from the movie and that is
Spoiler:
Daigo isn't Tiga in the movie, I really wish they could have brought him back for the film.
On a side note, regarding the movie, I could have sworn I've seen it before but when I rewatched it none of it seemed familiar. I know for a fact I saw the Tiga, Dyna and Gaia movie. That I can't forget because I was watching the night my sister had my niece and we got the call that she was being born right after I finished the movie.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Angilasman wrote: โ†‘Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:42 pm Okay, I'm 20+ episodes in and I'm really loving Dyna. It's interesting, Tiga has the more fleshed out characters and occasionally really dramatic episodes, and Dyna is this 180 into goofy characters and a sillier tone but it's just irresistibly charming. There are some excellent episodes of Tiga, and I don't think any Dyna episode so far has hit the highs of a really great Tiga episode, but when you take the cumulative view? I think I enjoy this series more.

Tiga feels like a '90s update on '60s Ultraman and Dyna feels like the '90s update of '70s Ultraman.
I just watched the two-part story Clarkov, Come to the Surface! (episodes 25 & 26). That is one of the best two-parters I've seen of any Ultra series!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^Yeah, I'm now about 3/5ths of the way through the series (I watch one or two episodes in the morning before work) and my opinion has only improved. It's a straight-up great series.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I dragged my feet there at the end because I was actually bummed about ending it! But I've just finished and I gotta say: Dyna is top tier Ultraman. Can't wait to rewatch it sometime in the future.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Is it better than Tiga would you say?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ There's more obviously impressive stuff in Tiga: continuing plot lines, character focused episodes that really flesh out the cast, and episodes with really strong hooks that differentiate them.

... Dyna has less of all of those, but it's just so likeable and fun. In the end, yeah, I think it's a bit better.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Seeing on social media that the entire Dyna cast just had a reunion at some Japanese convention. They all look adorable in the group photos!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Cryptid_Liker wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:02 pm
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: โ†‘Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:26 am Been watching more of Dyna, and it really is dynamic as much as it is incredible. Shin Asuka has quickly rose to become one of my top favourite Ultra hosts! Tsuruno is pretty funny on instagram too.

You can't just say this and expect no one to notice. Will it be on TK when finished?
Sorry for late response!! My notifications have been swamped. The script has been finished, I'm now tweaking it and waiting on feedback from some close friends. I'd love to share it on TK soon.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just started Dyna...after watching Decker. Looking through the monster gallery, I had no idea half of the monsters from Decker were retreads/reimagining versions of Dyna characters. I'm hoping that watching this after Decker won't sour my experience.

3 episodes into Dyna, everything I've seen so far is promising. The action and suits look good, and there appears to be a big uptick in quality and budget from Tiga. Already we're having things like monsters in space, and interesting use of puppetry. I like that the monster in the third episode is some weird space worm that takes control of another monster. Nice use of puppetry instead of normal suits.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: โ†‘Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.