An American Ultraman Movie: How should we do it?

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: An American Ultraman Movie: How should we do it?

Post by Vakanai »

goji89 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:46 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:45 pm
goji89 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:43 pm
Well you said why would anything have a mouth just for show. Statues have a mouth and are for show.
I think you know I was referencing living organisms specifically, not works of human art and expression.
And I think you should know me better than that and know I'm just busting your balls :lol:
True, I should. :lol:
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

With Shin Ultraman and the animated Netflix film I can honestly go without one for now.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Keep it down to Earth. Take notes from the human element of Ultraman: The Next, don't copy it, but understand why an Ultra host has to keep the promise to defend those he loves. I used that film as an example just because it is really it's own independent story, a great way of going back to "square one."

Don't go overboard with the antagonists, use what is needed, and what works for the overall theme. I'd say look at the TDG era for a good idea on how to have solid stakes that work for nearly all audiences. Or, pick some alien foes from the Showa Era and give them dastardly plans that require the human cast to think outside the box, and maybe weave in some commentary on recent issues. "The Marked Town" from Ultraseven and "The Monster User & The Boy" from Return of Ultraman are excellent examples of aliens that are threatening, or rather humane, respectively.

Now for Ultraman, have this new individual have some subtle details in common with his host, enough to make their eventual complete merger feel earned. The sandbox is nigh endless with possibilities on how to handles this, from if you want them to speak to each other from the beginning, not until they've completely merged, or have the Ultra form a human identity! Plently more ways to explore besides these.

Overall, I'd love an American Ultraman film, but they need to know the story they're telling, and why it matters. Enough to make us feel empowered to help others by being human, and of course, humming the new Ultra song throughout the day. :P
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sat May 29, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:17 pm Although, some new kaiju would be cool, too.
After thinking about this for a bit, I disagree with past me. Under absolutely no circumstances should there be new kaiju? Why? Well, they'd probably just make it either a giant monstrous insect or a multi-armed alien gorilla because those seem to be the only two monster body types American cinema can come up with nowadays.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

tbeasley wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:06 pm With Shin Ultraman and the animated Netflix film I can honestly go without one for now.
That said get Arthur Adams to (re)design heroes and monsters.

Same goes for any future Godzilla or Gamera project.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:34 am That said get Arthur Adams to (re)design heroes and monsters.
For the kaiju, absolutely. The aliens, though, wouldn't fit his style. Aside from Baltan and Zarab, you can't just add realistic textures to Ultraman aliens and make them work.