Netflix CG-animated Ultraman FILM announced!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Netflix CG-animated Ultraman FILM announced!

Post by NSZ »

So, yeah, this got announced today. Unrelated to the anime series.

https://en.tsuburaya-prod.co.jp/news/2629

Synopsis:
Baseball superstar Ken Sato returns to his home country of Japan to pick up the mantle of Earth-defending superhero Ultraman, but quickly finds more than he bargained for when he’s forced to raise the offspring of his greatest foe, a newborn Kaiju. Struggling to balance the roles of teammate and new father, Ken must confront his own ego, his estranged father, and the conniving Kaiju Defense Force to rise up and discover what it truly means to be Ultraman.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Netflix CG-animated Ultraman FILM announced!

Post by Angilasman »

I love this. Tsuburaya is finally doing the thing they've always wanted to do!

And being animated means it doesn't have to conform to live action blockbuster rules/anesthetics. I wouldn't mind an animated Godzilla film!

From what I can suss out from the director's statement: this movie idea started out as an original story inspired by his childhood love of Ultraman which, at some point, morphed into an official Ultraman project.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Angilasman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:39 pm I wouldn't mind an animated Godzilla film!

I'm guessing there's a joke in there about the Monster Planet Trilogy not existing. Even still. Sure, I'd like a more traditional Godzilla animated film as well. 8-)
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I hope the film retains the look of the promo image: wedding CGI and a stylized illustration the way SpiderVerse did.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This sounds really good. By the way, is it just me or does that Ultra look like Tiga?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Ultraman's finally making his big break in the west!

Also, he's raising a kaiju as his son? This is gonna be one weird film.. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Nice! That's an interesting storyline! Although I wasn't the biggest fan of the Netflix series, I'm glad that Tsuburaya - like Toho - is using animation as a space to go further outside the box.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

This sounds very interesting! Great to see more Ultraman projects on the horizon!

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Holy shit! So hyped for this! Ultraman is finally starting to become somewhat popular in the west and i couldn’t be happier!

Really hope that the film is in the art style of the image, because i love it.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JNewbold54
GPN Volunteer

Post by JNewbold54 »

The guys writing and directing this film were also the people who made Kubo and the Two Strings, so they get my vote of confidence.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Some of you guys are talking like Ultraman wasn't popular when it first aired in the States. There's a reason it kept popping up in local syndication for decades.

Perhaps better to say that Ultraman is finally regaining popularity in the West. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

One look at the synopsis and I already strongly prefer this film over all of the past ‘reimaginings’ of the character.

If this and/or Shin don’t suck, Ultraman will be riding high!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The themes and characters in that synopsis seem so in the wheelhouse of the franchise while at the same time being original and not an adaptation of a specific past thing. Good stuff.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I really like what they’re doing with Ultraman lately. Films that are more like resets of the original and a anime show not requiring more knowledge of the franchise.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It seems this is a western production.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 pm It seems this is a western production.
You’d be correct in that assumption.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:40 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:39 pm It seems this is a western production.
In that case, I can only hope this helps Ultraman in becoming more mainstream in the west. Also, in order to distinguish the Ultra featured in this film from the OG Ultraman, what do you think Tsupro will tradmark him as? Maybe Ultraman West?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:42 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:40 pm
In that case, I can only hope this helps Ultraman in becoming more mainstream in the west. Also, in order to distinguish the Ultra featured in this film from the OG Ultraman, what do you think Tsupro will tradmark him as? Maybe Ultraman West?
This new Ultra has a new design, so it’ll definitely be classified differently than the OG, but “Ultraman West” doesn’t have a really great ring to it. “Ultraman N”? for “Ultraman Netflix”, possibly? Or, the most likely option, they just give a new name to this Ultra in the film outright

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Angilasman wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:57 pm I hope the film retains the look of the promo image: wedding CGI and a stylized illustration the way SpiderVerse did.
That's essentially what Godzilla SP is doing; so if you haven't watched that it's well worth your time and attention.

Also, I'm excited, buy goddamn so much Ultraman and Godzilla stuff lately. I'm glad these are on Netflix. They'll make both franchises bigger and more easily accessible.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

On the subject of the main character adopting a baby Kaiju, I wonder if it's a brand new one or an infant of a popular one like Gomora or Red King?