Ultraseven Heisei Movies

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
spookymizu
Ronin

Ultraseven Heisei Movies

Post by spookymizu »

I've just finished up the Ultraseven 1967 series. Wow! I loved it. The vibe was so different than the original Ultraman show. I loved getting to hear the frequent inner dialogue of Dan. The miniature work of the jets I found to be amazing!

So, I am torn between starting to watch the Heisei movies (there's a lot of them!) or starting Return of Ultraman while I'm waiting for the next new show to start. What do y'all think about the Heisei Ultraseven shows?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Ultraseven Heisei Movies

Post by LegendZilla »

I know the Heisei era's over, but I think that TsuPro should try to put out one last entry in this series and maybe even introduce Zero in its continuity.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I haven't yet seen all of 'em, but I've seen enough that I think anyone who loved the original series should absolutely check these out.

I've seen the first 1994 special twice and didn't think much of it either time. The first time was a few years ago, and my ambivalence towards it was enough to keep me from watching the others. I was inspired to try the series again last fall. As stated, I didn't like that first episode a whole lot then either, but fortunately the next episode is a big improvement, feeling more like the original show.

And then they totally nailed it with the 1998 trilogy. Those are fantastic, IMO. TPC perfectly captured the soul of the classic series in those episodes. One of these has the characters poking around this shady factory town looking for disguised aliens, and except for the fact that the new episodes weren't shot on film, it looked, sounded, and felt like an episode of the old show that I'd never seen.

The first 1999 episode is pretty good, too, although it takes the series in a different direction. I keep intending to pick up where I left off but I haven't really been in the mood to do it. Maybe after I finish my current show.
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

spookymizu
Ronin

Post by spookymizu »

Terasawa, now that you mention it, I think I did see that first one back in the 90s,and didn't care for it too much either. Of course, I had only seen the dubbed versions of U7 up to that point.

Looks like I will have to take the plunge! :gigan:

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I’ve seen 11 of the UltraSeven Heisei Era special episodes. I still have the five Evolution specials from 2002 left to watch.

The two 1994 NTV specials are pretty good but the three 1998 30th Anniversary Memorial Trilogy specials are really good, and the six 1999 The Final Chapters specials are freaking awesome, especially the last one.

While it’s fun to see how TPC retconned Seven into one of the Ultra Brothers for their 1970s Ultraman shows, I’m glad that they made these specials a direct sequel to the original UltraSeven and built on the standalone world established in that series. It’s great to see Sandayu Dokumamushi reprise the role of Furuhashi as the new captain of the Ultra Guard, and the way these specials incorporate Koji Moritsugu as Dan is very clever, respectful and compelling.

I agree that these specials totally capture the tone and feel of the original series. Even though they look like they were shot on tape instead of film, they still embody UltraSeven’s spirit of investigative intrigue, scientific wonder and introspective rumination on what it means to exist in the universe.

Between the original UltraSeven series, these Heisei Era specials and the 2007 series UltraSeven X, I have to say that TPC’s UltraSeven output is tops.