Official "Ultraman Leo" thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Starting Leo on Amazon. Cool I didn't know Katsura from Terror of Mechagodzilla was in this show apparently. Gotta say this is probably one of the best openings in the Ultra series thus far. I mean is this the first two part opening in the franchise? The stakes are relatively high and the destruction sequences are rather impressive.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh I didn't know that was Katsura! Fair warning first four episodes are good but it might get formulaic for a bit. Plus this Dan might not be too endearing.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:15 pm Starting Leo on Amazon. Cool I didn't know Katsura from Terror of Mechagodzilla was in this show apparently. Gotta say this is probably one of the best openings in the Ultra series thus far. I mean is this the first two part opening in the franchise? The stakes are relatively high and the destruction sequences are rather impressive.
Ultraman Leo is highly underrated. It cheats a bit to be impactful (you'll see what I mean), but good nonetheless.I might just make a thread for it if you don't. It has a cool mix of monsters, and some really fun and dark plot lines. It stands out from the crowd for sure.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I notice that despite having an attack team they don't really do much. They just kind exist so far to fill the cliche. Plus I can tell the Leo getting defeated, training for a new technique, and winning the second round formula might get a bit stale after awhile.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Official "Ultraman Leo" thread

Post by daveblackeye15 »

They will eventually get over the 'learn a new attack' thing. I do appreciate that the early format does make fighting monsters look really really hard. Apparently this show did really poorly in initial ratings, like the lowest for any Ultra show, so they re-tooled it some.

Shocking to me was learning Return of Ultraman was sort of peetering out at the start and when they did a little less human focused drama did it pick up. A drag since I liked a lot of Return's earlier episodes.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

I’m on my third disc of Ultraman Leo after getting it earlier than expected from Best Buy and I’m really enjoying it so far.

It definitely feels like a follow-up to Seven, not just because Dan is back but because of its sense of tone and the way it’s executed. The art direction and effects work do feel incredibly jank at times, but they’re both easy to overlook thanks to the overall atmosphere. Hell the horror-based episodes are unironically fun to watch in spite of how chintzy the monster suits look.

Also, Toru’s the best kid character in 70s Ultra. No contest.
Last edited by Millenial88 on Tue May 25, 2021 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Although I wont have my set until next week (Thanks Amazon! :mad: ) I've seen the 2 part opening before and was quite impressed. I appreciate a more serious take on Ultraman, although we know Leo doesn't get too serious. Apparently the shift in tone from Taro to Leo wasn't well received with kids in Japan at the time. however I've never been of that mindset, even as a kid. I looked up to heroes (both in comics and in Japanese sci-fi), who are adults, and never had an issue of having "nobody to identify with". Even as a small child myself, in cartoons when a child character was forcefully inserted I hated it. It's the same with characters like X-men, Spider-man etc... I know they started out as teens in the 60's, but when i was reading the comics in the early 80'sm they were all adults, so whenever Marvel or DC turns back the clocks, and reverts a heroes age, I just stop watching/reading.
Last edited by o.supreme on Wed May 26, 2021 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Re: Official "Ultraman Ace" thread

Post by gvamp »

So as I've been watching more of Leo I've noticed that screen shake more. Is that just a style choice for this series? I've noticed it now on Episode 3 a lot, episode 4 and Episode 5. Going to watch episode 6 and 7 tonight
Last edited by gvamp on Wed May 26, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just picked up the BR. I only ever watched this twice fully through, and I'm fairly sure both of those times were without subs so I was just in the dark about what was really going on. First two episodes are as good as I remember, but the series is already started to crawl for me. IIRC, everything is the same for the next dozen or so episodes. Monster shows up. Leo unable to defeat. Undergoes some ridiculous, Jigsaw-esque "training" and then defeats said monster. I remember some episodes being pretty good, but thus far, Leo remains as much of a "blah" series as I remember it being.

Will never understand the love it gets. *shrugs*

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I tried running headfirst into a jeep and I didn't get any stronger, don't try it guys, 3/10 bad idea
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

So I finally got my BRD and started watching it. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I thought Leo was the first ultra series to have an end credits sequence? If so, I wonder why it's not on this set?

*edit* ok Wow! I just watched episode #3. They definitely wanted to separate themselves from Taro in terms of tone didn't they? A father and his two young kids are singing a silly song (that was sung in Taro coincidentally), then he is brutally cut in half by an alien in front of the kids, then the same thing happens later to one of the MAC team members!

I can honestly say, I didn't see that coming. :shock:
Last edited by o.supreme on Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Finished the first disc. I am liking the series so far. My only complaint is the fights are way too short. ( he has 20 less seconds than other Ultras to maintain his giant form). But the many multipart episodes I guess make up for it.

They don't shy away from death and consequences. I see why many people would think Dan/Seven is a jerk in this series, but the culture and period have to be taken into consideration. Still...this show would be complete nightmare fuel for anyone who thinks *toxic masculinity* is an issue :lol:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

About half way through the series and I honestly forgot the series got better as it moved away from the asinine training stuff the first part did. Satan Beetle and Gamelot episodes are probably my favorite thus far.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Interesting... starting with episode 16, there are 4 episodes based on iconic horror characters.

16. Ghosts
17. Werewolf
18. Vampire
19. Gilman/Merman

Grimlock#1
Monsterland Worker

Post by Grimlock#1 »

After watching the first disc, whenever I start watching a new episode the first thing that comes to my mind is "Wonder how Ultraseven is gonna be an asshole to Gen in this episode?" XD
"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
Space Hunter M wrote:Ah, you and your corns. Great. When you and the MUTO meet, be sure you tell him all about your corn problems.
"MECHAGGGGGGGGGGGGG!"

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I get the training thing does get pretty tired after a while. On the one hand it makes fighting monsters look a lot harder. Other hand kinda tiring. Maybe cut it out sooner but it can pop in every once in a while? I mean I guess one other nice thing about it is it kinda cuts back on 'a new power!' to win the day.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Finished disc three last night the first two discs where a slog but I'm starting to get into the series now. I think my favorite episode so far is the one about the alien that falls to Earth. It was a charming well done episode. I also really like "The Werewolf's Bride" episode probably because I'm a huge fan of werewolf movies.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Just started disc 5 (Episode 34), although I am enjoyed the overall tone of Leo mor ethen taro, the monsters themselves are kind of lackluster. Until Now....Ashuran is a pretty cool design with the front/back different aspects of the monster. We get a guest appearance by Go/Jack (Someone asked earlier if the subs would be fixed, I guess on Toku it called him "Returns Ultraman" or something like that), but they do indeed refer to him as Jack, but they incorrectly call him the 5th Ultraman Brother (I'm pretty sure he is the 4th).

Also I feel so foolish :oops: . I have two books (one of them for almost 30 years), that pretty comprehensively cover the Ultraman series and it is only NOW after watching this episode, that I know where Sevenger (who was given a supporting role recently in Ultraman Z) comes from... I guess spiritually speaking, he really is Dan's 4th capsule monster, although they instead call it a Poke' "Monster Ball" ;)

Looks like the next few episodes have some more cameos from other Ultra's, looking forward to it.
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hm they shouldn't calling him Ultraman Jack though in the subtitles. For like 15 years he was just New Ultraman or Ultraman II. Which is kind of weird and clunky. I guess it was more of a practical translation.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Not the first time English subtitles have opted for a more recent trademarked name over a more accurate translation.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.