Official "Ultraman Trigger" Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Official "Ultraman Trigger" Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm making my way through Tiga right now, and I'm thinking about what monsters/aliens from Tiga I'd like to make a come-back. My standards are pretty simple, cool monsters that are underutilized, or concepts that could be more fleshed out. Keep in mind I'm only halfway through so there's still a lot of room to go through.

Naga,Weaponizer 1 and 2 and the Reptile People:

One episode has way too much crammed into it to do everything justice on how insane it is. It's revealed that some Aliens, the Naga, might have kidnapped some evolved dinosaurs and are now trying to trick them into re-capturing earth through the usage of the Weaponizers. The weaponizes are interesting because they are robotic dinosaur cyborgs with neutron bombs strapped to their chest. They never tag team fight Tiga, and it would be cool to see the two return and be more fleshed out. Maybe in addition to the standard "t-rex model", have a "stego model". The reptilians and the Naga need a lot more fleshing out.

Gazort would be cool too. A monster directly eating people has been rare recently. Maybe there could be a martian variant?

Last, the Kyleroids. Aliens but with a really devilish and cultish take. The second episode they appear in is nightmarish with a "gateway to hell" opening that looks really creepy. I felt like that could be elaborated on more, and them "upgrading themselves" has a lot of potential.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Gazort has already confirmed to be returning.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Well I watched the first episode of Trigger and I liked it. However, I do think that Ultraman Zett's first episode was better though.

- Golba was a decent first monster opponent, but.... I would've preferred to see Melba return instead of a fusion with Golza.

- I hope Kengo doesn't do the "Smile, smile!" too often because that'll get old quick....

OrnithopodaistheBest
GPN Volunteer

Post by OrnithopodaistheBest »

Spoiler:
Hmmm. A very solid starting episode. And I truly appreciate how Golba's demise was depicted with a styrofoam model of him getting blown to bits rather than him simply exploding completely.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spoiler:
Toy trademarks mention a Ultraman Ribut hyperkey as well as Trigger having a "Shining Eternal" form.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:37 am
Spoiler:
Toy trademarks mention a Ultraman Ribut hyperkey as well as Trigger having a "Shining Eternal" form.
Spoiler:
Ribut is interesting. I’m going to assume that would be Trigger’s version of Glitter Tiga
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Adding onto Cryptid's post, this thing share's a bit more information of Dark Trigger and the next Ultra Galaxy Fight.. including a certain returning character.
Spoiler:
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:23 pm Adding onto Cryptid's post, this thing share's a bit more information of Dark Trigger and the next Ultra Galaxy Fight.. including a certain returning character.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
So Trigger Dark will be a sort of rage mode? Or is Trigger's backstory as similar to Tiga's as his design is?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Episode 2.

Overall did like this episode more than the last though a bit bummed they're back on Earth. Perhaps a return to Mars at some point?
I wish people would have a normal reaction to Kengo saying stuff like 'I joined GUTS-Select to make people smile!' 'Errr uh okay cool but uh you do know you might be going into combat right?'
Or 'I want Yuna to smile and even you Agito!' 'WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?' Maybe Agito doesn't want to smile, Kengo.
Spoiler:
Seeing them go underwater was pretty neat and yeah strength type is pretty cool. Oh gee wow what a shocker he gets a strength upgrade to fight the strong-based bad guy! That stupid sword getting a claw mode is making it grow on me I must admit.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Spoiler:
Soooo are we gonna talk about the fact Darrgon somehow got trapped in stone upside-down?

Also, Akito revealing to be the one wanting to be Trigger is actually a pretty cool twist!... i wonder if that's setting up something. Like, he's gonna be the Agul to Trigger's Gaia.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

So, I'm just watching episode 2 and holy crap, the CGI vehicles have improved astronomically since that shapeshifting car in X.

Added in 1 minute 32 seconds:
Also, why does Marluru have hands?

Added in 28 minutes 42 seconds:
Spoiler:
I remember the ep 3 leaked synopsis said there would be aliens. I guess that's incorrectly referring to Ignis. Shame, I thought it was gonna be Powered Dada.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Episode 2 was fine, but worrying.

On one hand, the action was fantastic. I liked the brief fight with Gymaira, and the subsequent fights with the Dark Giant. I thought there were some cool moments, like Ultraman Trigger getting pushed through a building and later being thrown over the dark giants back. The fights were big and cinematic, and had a clear flow to them. I liked how the second fight ended up underwater. Other cool things is that even though Ultraman Trigger got two power ups this episode, they didn't mean the end of either fights.

However, I'm very worried about the characters. I'll hold my breath, but I'm getting flashbacks to overly cutesy and annoying "comedy" that Orb, Geed and R/B routinely tried. I understand Ultraman shows have never been really serious, but I was a bit perturbed with how much joking around was going on when Kengo was being introduced to Guts Select. Then Yuna comes in, and Yuna raises a lot of questions. She's wearing what looks to be a middle-school/high-school uniform. I get that she's the leaders daughter, but why on earth would you have a child working at Guts Select? They still could have had her be his daughter (he's old enough), but making her that age just comes off as obnoxious pandering to weirdos. Why not just say she's in college, or something? And then the Alien Metron is just another obnoxious cutesy Moe-type character. Ugh. To be clear, none of this is inherently bad, I just got a really bad first impression from meeting most of the GUTS Select cast. To the shows credit, what they were doing with Akito seems interesting.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Second episode was an improvement over the first, action was real solid and the characters being established was fun, they should be a good cast. Very intrigued to see where the stuff with Akito goes. Again, very much a set-up episode, but it’s good set-up. The Dark Giants kinda not seeming real threatening right now, but maybe that’ll change once all three are present.
Spoiler:
Power Type’s beam just kinda causing explosions around Durramb and not visually hitting him was odd, hoping that was just a one-time thing, maybe just a fuck up with the SFX and/or time constraints. Also, absolutely loved the way Trigger killed Gymaira, and the fact that it also blew him back.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Spoiler:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:43 pm On one hand, the action was fantastic..

And then the Alien Metron is just another obnoxious cutesy Moe-type character. Ugh. To be clear, none of this is inherently bad, I just got a really bad first impression from meeting most of the GUTS Select cast.
I agree, I enjoyed the action a lot this episode, the fight with Durramb was fun to watch.

The alien Metron kid does look off, I originally thought it was some kid in a costume or something, but no I guess it's a real Metron. I'm a bit more concerned with having a lot more characters on the monster team to juggle around and flesh out their characters. But overall I think the introduction of the team was fine.
Spoiler:
GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:16 pm The Dark Giants kinda not seeming real threatening right now, but maybe that’ll change once all three are present.
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a big boss ordering them around or something. If Trigger beats the third giant in the same episode, then I'm guessing they'll become reoccurring villains that won't be much of a threat on their own as Trigger gets stronger and stronger.

Overall I liked it, looking forward to the third episode.

Added in 7 minutes 46 seconds:
Dracosaurian wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:00 pm - I hope Kengo doesn't do the "Smile, smile!" too often because that'll get old quick....
It's already getting kinda old, like the sister from r/b saying "Happy!".
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Seems a little early to be dreading the show being too cute. I like it when we see an alien that we previously saw a more villainous version but now we got a nice one. So I like Marulu so far okay...but Pega is better. Seriously Pega was the most normal person of Geed's cast. Also the team captain Seiya...is gorgeous, no magnificent! So I hope he's good. I mostly just cringed a bit when Kengo met Yuna but y'know I think it'll be fine.
I doubt 'smile smile' will ever grow on me though. But yeah so far I think this show will be better than R/B. But you never know.

Still love Orb, Geed and Z.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Well, episode 2. And well...

The Good:

The Ultra scenes and kaiju stuff are A++. There's so much new and unique stuff being experimented with in this series and I love it. The insane camera angles, the further blending of CGI and suitmation, etc. If anybody was to ask "what if Toho kept using suitmation", TPC is answering the question nicely as being the only major source of "man in monster suits" action. Seeing Gymaira back is always a treat, even if he was pretty much canon fodder here. The way he went out goes back to my original priase. He was taken down by the typical finisher beam, but we never saw a beam get used like that in point blank. And what happens to Trigger following it? Awesome. Amazing scene all around.

The stuff with Darrgon is nice as well, but just doesn't reach that level. Though, the "crater" scene is a dirty look at 2004 Toho "THIS is how you use a meteor scene in a kaiju world!"

The punching through a building and landing back in the crater? Just awesome scene. And Darrgon himself is a nice villain. Not overly serious nor obnoxiously comical.

The Bad: ...

Every.
Human.
Character.

The entire god damn f'n cast is god awful and cringeworthy. The worst is easily the muscle head of the group. Every scene is just so god damn forced. The old guy from the previous episode, I was honestly expecting to like him. But having to see him ham things up with lines like "He fights to put a smile on everyone's face!"... Ugh.

I am getting HUGE R/B vibes from the cast and that is not a good sign at all. While I think every Ultra of the New Generation seems to have this gimmicky, "catchphrase" on why they fight, Trigger's is just the worst. The amount of times "put a smile on everyone's face" is said by the weird, anti-social hero makes him come off as a "rapist of the week" on a new episode of L&O: SVU: Tokyo. Just f'n bad. I hate the host, I hate the girl, I hate the crew... I also hate the f'n Metron. Call me salty for wanting an actual Tiga alien to be the "mascot", but this Metron doesn't even serve a purpose for being an alien. It's not like Pega from Geed no matter how much it tries.

Pega was friendly, comical and rather innocent. The scenes of Pega having to hide from public eye and the Japanese MIB played to his role and kept things interesting.

This Metron just comes off as obnoxious. He could legit just be another obnoxious GUTS Select member and it'd make no difference.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. And I hope this is just a fluke episode and it gets better. My fingers are crossed. But as of now? My money is on the table for this to be either just as bad as R/B... Or worse.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

It isn't the first since I remember Geed did the point blank bast to destroy Galactron MK II in his movie.

But you don't see it very often and it is cool as hell.

Damn some people are harsh on the attack team characters after one episode. I thought everyone else wanted a traditional attack team back and I was the weirdo that liked it when they kind of broke that mold?
Maybe they won't work out but let's give them a chance after a few episodes. No way can Seiya and his magnificent face could be a disappointment at the very least.
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I watched episode 2 and hmmmm..... I'm still not feeling Kengo. Whereas Haruki in Z was could be goofy yet likeable, Kengo so far is just a tad too much. The "Smile, smile!" phrase is just getting annoying. I'm also not feeling the defense team. As it stands, I find Ultraman Z's STORAGE team the superior. (Except Yuka. Didn't like her.)

But things weren't all bad fortunately.

- The fight scenes were once again great.

- I really liked Darrgon and the fight scene with him and Trigger underwater referencing the Tiga movie was awesome.

So far I think we're in the clear when it comes to the action/fight scenes in this series, but the human cast worries me.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone think it's strange that they didn't bother to make this set in the same continuity as Tiga/Dyna and instead make yet another whole new one?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:56 pm Anyone think it's strange that they didn't bother to make this set in the same continuity as Tiga/Dyna and instead make yet another whole new one?
hEY, WE DON'T KNOW THAT YET.