The Bermuda Depths on Blu-Ray from Warner Archive

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

The Bermuda Depths on Blu-Ray from Warner Archive

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Warner Archive has announced the dream-like Rankin-Bass/Tsuburaya co-production The Bermuda Depths on Blu-Ray this coming March.
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=28091
The Bermuda Depths

Synopsis: What secret lurks 20,000 feet below the waves in the paranormal realm called the Bermuda Triangle? That's the question a scientist (Burl Ives), his student (Carl Weathers) and a young man (Leigh McCloskey) haunted by nightmarish memories of his Bermuda childhood ask themselves. The answer involves a beauty (Connie Sellecca) who has sold her soul for eternal youth and a giant sea turtle that leaves death in its wake. Eerie and hypnotic, The Bermuda Depths was produced by Arthur Rankin, Jr. and Jules Bass (The Year Without a Santa Claus), who meld their imaginative fantasy style with the live-action horror genre. Special Features and Technical Specs:
NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM
Includes Both the 1.33:1 US Broadcast Television Version and the 1.85:1 International Theatrical Version
New Audio Commentary by Author/ Film Historian Amanda Reyes (Are You in the House Alone? A TV Movie Compendium: 1964-1999) and Kindertrauma co-founder Lance Vaughan
Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature
Hopefully this means The Last Dinosaur isn't too far behind! Not to mention any sort of release for The Ivory Ape.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: The Bermuda Depths on Blu-Ray from Warner Archive

Post by Angilasman »

Wow, new special features and 2 different presentations of the film? Warner Archive is absolutely killing it lately.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

How good are the giant turtle scenes?
Angilasman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:24 pm Wow, new special features and 2 different presentations of the film? Warner Archive is absolutely killing it lately.
What else have they released lately?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ They release about a half dozen titles each month, old movies and (more recently) classic cartoons. They used to only port over existing extras from previous WB DVD releases, but have now started producing commentary tracks and supplemental features. The big one was Curse if Frankenstein last month: their old DVD was bare bones, but this release presented the film in three different aspect ratios, had a new commentary track, four new featurettes and the trailer.

They've always been good restoring their films, but now with newly produced extras they're becoming equal to any boutique label!

I'm very happy with this as a classic movie fan: WB owns a disproportionate amount of old Hollywood films because they own the classic MGM and RKO film libraries in addition to every WB film.
Last edited by Angilasman on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Now all that has to be released is The Ivory Ape and Warner Archive will have all three Rankin-Bass/Tsuburaya films!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I was actually wrong to call this a Tsuburaya film. While much of its Japanese crew had worked for Tsuburaya Productions, it wasn't actually a co-production between the two studios. Likewise The Ivory Ape.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Yes, I see, but The Ivory Ape needs to be released, and Warner Archive is just the company to do it (that is, if they still exist; I can't even find their website online anymore).
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Not sure how my post seemed to indicate Ivory Ape doesn't deserve a release, but I agree it's overdue for one.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:19 pm Not sure how my post seemed to indicate Ivory Ape doesn't deserve a release, but I agree it's overdue for one.
I was actually acknowledgng that The Ivory Ape wasn't made by Rankin-Bass/Tsuburaya, not that it didn't deserve a release.

Still, said release is long since overdue.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Mar 08, 2022 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.