Ultraman Taro!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Re: Ultraman Taro!

Post by Angilasman »

^ When the first Birdon episode ended on a cliffhanger I thought "Ah, it's an iconic monster, so it makes sense it was introduced in a two-parter." Finished the second episode before work this morning and Birdon still reins undefeated!

Also, this story is a transparent riff on the movie Rodan, which is fun.

Did you realize the Knacle/Black King two-parter is a blatant rip-off of the superior Alien Guts two-parter from Ultraseven?

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

They weren't so great in the '70s at recreating kaiju from previous shows. They tend to look really "off." I have to congratulate Eleking on actually looking like Eleking!

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 am They weren't so great in the '70s at recreating kaiju from previous shows. They tend to look really "off." I have to congratulate Eleking on actually looking like Eleking!
Although his horns didn't spin...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

^ I didn't say it was perfect, just that it managed to resemble the thing it was supposed to be!

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:37 am They weren't so great in the '70s at recreating kaiju from previous shows. They tend to look really "off." I have to congratulate Eleking on actually looking like Eleking!
Yeah Zetton II from RoU was pretty rough, as were any reappearances of previous kaiju in Ace & Taro. Then there were the Jr.s (specifically Baltan and Metron). While the new Red King and Baltans in 80 had their own flare, they definitely looked better. It's nice to see in the modern age (well pretty much since Max) faithful recreations of classic kaiju.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

^ The recreations in 80 are neat. They look close to the originals but have a bit of their own (as you said) stylistic flare.

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

30 episodes in and I have this to say: Ultraman Ace has more great episodes, but Taro is a better show because the quality and tone is consistent and generally good.

eabaker

Post by eabaker »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 pm 30 episodes in and I have this to say: Ultraman Ace has more great episodes, but Taro is a better show because the quality and tone is consistent and generally good.
Yeah, ultimately I think Taro is the better show by most objective/critical standards - more consistent, with a better fleshed-out protagonist and supporting cast - but the vibe of Ace works far, far better for me personally, and when all the pieces do fall into place it absolutely sings.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

o.supreme
EDF Instructor

Post by o.supreme »

Probably the greatest compliment I can give BOTH to Ace and Taro is this... After years of just looking at images of the kaiju in photobooks, and online, and thinking to myself "wow, those suites look awful", or "man that monster looks dumb..." I can say, after watching both shows, they were fun, and I'm glad I own the BRD. I mean the original Ultraman will always be my favorite, and RoU a worthy successor, but Ace and Taro definitely made my 5 year old self smile again. I cannot say the same for some of the modern-era Ultra's. They are not ALL bad, but R/B (for example) was probably one I'll definitely not watch again anytime soon.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Force Personnel

Post by Angilasman »

o.supreme wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:20 pm Probably the greatest compliment I can give BOTH to Ace and Taro is this... After years of just looking at images of the kaiju in photobooks, and online, and thinking to myself "wow, those suites look awful", or "man that monster looks dumb..." I can say, after watching both shows, they were fun, and I'm glad I own the BRD. I mean the original Ultraman will always be my favorite, and RoU a worthy successor, but Ace and Taro definitely made my 5 year old self smile again. I cannot say the same for some of the modern-era Ultra's. They are not ALL bad, but R/B (for example) was probably one I'll definitely not watch again anytime soon.
Even though the monster suits in the '70s got shoddier and shabby looking the overall quality of the effects is still pretty great. Just finished Taro, and there was some great miniature work at the end. They also really used the more cost effective method of having the suit performers fight on what was likely a big empty floor if the soundstage and just make some (likely larger scale) foreground miniatures like a construction site or neighborhood and shoot the entirety of the fight with the camera at ground level essential shooting through those miniatures for scale. It looks good!

Anyway, the last three episodes of Taro were pretty great! A wedding episode with plentiful tokusatsu miniature effects, a Return of Ultraman crossover, and an ending with a nice character-arc completing focus on the protagonist!

Hate that the luitenent was replaced so close to the end (must've got cast in another show), but he at least got name namechecked in the finale and the replacement guy was good and maybe deserved a few more episodes to get fleshed out himself!

Major sssspielberg!
G-Force Personnel

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Wow, I'm really enjoying Taro. The group's camaraderie is a lot of fun so far. Overall the first 13 episodes feel much less cheap than Ace, and there's been a lot of fun stuff with the kaiju. Most importantly it feels more fresh than Ace, which felt like Return 1.5.
Also, the HQ in the middle of town is super cool! I thought ZAT's goofy looking uniforms and vehicles were gonna bother me but they've grown on me a lot! It does make me even more irritated to see the uniforms of MAT, TAC and ZAT in 7 Ultra Brothers vs Hanuman knowing Sompote probably kept them all.
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was going to post this in the general Ultra thread but now it is closed.

I got to say it sure seems like someone REALLY loved Seagorath and wanted to keep bringing him back in some way.
Return of Ultraman: Debut with his mate Seamon. Returned a la stock footage Alien Nackle first part.
Ultraman Ace: Meant to return but Maruchi returned and got torn apart instead. Also appears in the intro I believe.
Ultraman Taro: Makes the head of Tyrant.
Any cameos in Leo or 80? I don't think so.

Major sssspielberg!
G-Force Personnel

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I'm curious if Taro inspired a particular sequence in Gamera 3 with the Christmas episode with Terrorist-Seijin.
Spoiler:
The flashback to Hitomi losing her family during a prior kaiju attack, which happens to feature turtle kaiju seems similar enough that I wouldn't be surprised.
However, it could just be coincidence. I don't know if Kaneko/Ito/Higuchi were still watching Ultraman into the 70s or not.
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien: