Official "Ultraman Great"/"Towards the Future" Thread

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
o.supreme
Futurian

Re: Official "Ultraman Great"/"Towards the Future" Thread

Post by o.supreme »

Although I was in highschool when it came out, I recorded the whole series on VHS (well everything after episode 5 since I had a bootleg VHS "unedited" of 1-5). I also had the SNES game , as previously discussed, and all the Bandai (Dreamworks) toys. In fact, even though I sold them all years later, I still kept (by accident) Bogun and Barrangas, so my son has them now.

I was quite amused at Bob Johnsons story on the kaiju Con Ultraman video because it was very real. In Sacramento, they played the episodes through one time (13 weeks), at 7am on Sundays, and that was it, never aired in re-run. Whereas in the San Francisco Bay Area they aired M-F (2 episodes back-to-back) for at least 2 years, of course this was at like 2 or 3 am. So you could see those whole series every week-and-a half basically. That is how I got episode 11 which I missed because I messed up the program time on my VCR. Ahh... memories LOL!
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I always did like Bogun. It was such an odd kaiju, but that was its main charm. I also enjoyed Degunja and Rugalo. What were some of your favorites?
Last edited by edgaguirus on Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

This is the only Ultraman series I watched from start to finish. Back in the early 90s, I was channel surfing on a day I'd missed school and came across an episode on KCMU-31 at 2:30 pm. It was the first episode, with Bogun. A year or so later, I had skipped church and ended up watching an episode of it at about 11 a.m. I eventually bought the first episode on VHS for 14.95. I never did see any of the other episodes at Suncoast or such.

Then, around 2001, a friend of mine recorded the series onto a VHS to me and sent them to me for 10 bucks. So I binged them and finished the series in two or three days.

I also had the Dark Horse comics--I still seem to have two issues of #1.

I remember the commercials for the toys and seeing them at Toys R Us.

Last edited by H-Man on Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.