Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

Post by shadowgigan »

Just watched the YouTube clip. Can’t wait for this to get some type of subbed release.

Godzillaninja2019
GPN Volunteer

Post by Godzillaninja2019 »

What streaming service will pick up the sub version of shin ultraman do anyone think.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Godzillaninja2019 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:46 pm What streaming service will pick up the sub version of shin ultraman do anyone think.
I can't think of any besides Amazon Prime. But hopefully, it'll release in theaters.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Agreed on the hope for theatrical, but my guess would be Netflix considering Tsuburaya has put out the anime series and the upcoming CGI film. Plus Toho has worked with them on the Godzilla anime trilogy and series.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

My ideal distributor would be GKIDS... I mean, they don't typically do live action, but they work with Anno and there's a bit of anime overlap there and they are the US anime movie distributor - great subtitle translations and dubs, great disc releases. And there's Funimation, which did a decent job with Shin Godzilla. After that? I think the next most likely candidate is Netflix, which, sure, fine - but I want a physical media release and that throws a wrench in that (though if Netflix did release it on streaming I could see Mill Creek releasing a blu-ray a year or two later).

Wild, pie-in-the-sky candidates? Well, there's definite 'Film Twitter' buzz about the movie so what if, what if, I say one of the major indie distributors picks this up? I'm talking A24, Neon or Janus?! How wild would that be? I wouldn't be surprised, though. The genre is on an upswing in respectability, Anno has a big fanbase, Shin Godzilla has accrued a nice cultural cache, heck - one of the main stars if this movie was the lead in a best picture nom a few months ago!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

My money is on Funi. They did right by Shin Godzilla and didn't they handle the Rebuild series? Just seems like the most likely way to go.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Why not Mill Creek?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 6:53 pm My money is on Funi. They did right by Shin Godzilla and didn't they handle the Rebuild series? Just seems like the most likely way to go.
Yeah, but apparently Anno/Studio Khara's relationship with them soured, and the Rebuild movies are now with Amazon Prime and Gkids is now the home video distributor for Evangelion.

I mean, who knows if that would impact the deal for this movie, though?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well technically Funi no longer exists, they've been absorbed by Crunchyroll. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:05 am Well technically Funi no longer exists, they've been absorbed by Crunchyroll. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.
Man, I thought it was the other way around. I could see Shin Ultraman going to Crunchyroll and getting theatrical distribution that way, since Crunchy is owned by Sony.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Shin Ultraman will be screened at FantasiaFest in Montreal July 14th to August 3rd.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:41 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 3:05 am Well technically Funi no longer exists, they've been absorbed by Crunchyroll. Not sure if that would make a difference or not.
Man, I thought it was the other way around. I could see Shin Ultraman going to Crunchyroll and getting theatrical distribution that way, since Crunchy is owned by Sony.
If I were to guess, they won't be doing anything physical-media related, i.e DVD/Blu-Ray.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:34 pm
If I were to guess, they won't be doing anything physical-media related, i.e DVD/Blu-Ray.
Any reason why you think that?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:35 pm

Because Isn't Crunchyroll exclusively a streaming service?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:38 pm
DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:35 pm

Because Isn't Crunchyroll exclusively a streaming service?
They sell DVDs of anime dubbed by them, plus Shin Godzilla is on the page. There's no reason to think if Crunchyroll got the rights to Shin Ultraman that there wouldn't be a DVD release from them.
https://store.crunchyroll.com/collections/home-video
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

They were originally a streaming service but having taken over Funimation very likely increased their ability to do physical releases as well.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

The Shin Ultraman OST released today and lucky for us outside of Japan, Toku Radio has already uploaded it! It's mostly stuff from the original but unlike Shin Godzilla, there are a couple songs that have been re-recorded! And of course, the new stuff is amazing as well. Reminds me more of his work on Bleach than Evangelion or Shin Godzilla.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Aw man it's so jazzy! I love it.
I heard Sagisu wanted to do the same with the classic Ifukube tracks for Shin Godzilla's soundtrack but Toho didn't give them enough time.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Turns out Shin Ultraman technically did use suitmation! However, it... well, just see for yourself.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:13 am Aw man it's so jazzy! I love it.
I heard Sagisu wanted to do the same with the classic Ifukube tracks for Shin Godzilla's soundtrack but Toho didn't give them enough time.
That would've Helped A LOT.