Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

It's going to be an arduous hell, avoiding spoilers for this until it's legitimately released in the States.
Brb, gonna go sacrifice something to somebody in exchange for a theatrical release.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Anno is a troll. That's all until tommorow.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:15 pm Just read/saw a bunch of spoilers about the film and…wow. It sounds amazing.

Only two things I’m going to say:

1. There are a surprising amount of kaiju in the film, and I wonder how exactly they’ll all fit together in the end.

2. The twist sounds wild. Like, totally unexpected. Surprised that Tsubaraya even allowed Higuchi to do it, honestly.
The twist? Pm me? Curious

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I saw the movie, it was good, but it’s not great as Shin Godzilla. Actually, I can’t say that; it’s a little less dramatic, and optimistic. Check the spoiler thread for some cray shit.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:04 am I saw the movie, it was good, but it’s not great as Shin Godzilla. Actually, I can’t say that; it’s a little less dramatic, and optimistic. Check the spoiler thread for some cray poop.
Do you mean it’s less dramatic and less optimistic? Or more optimistic?

Also insert SpongeBob waiting meme for stateside release.
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 6:38 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 3:04 am I saw the movie, it was good, but it’s not great as Shin Godzilla. Actually, I can’t say that; it’s a little less dramatic, and optimistic. Check the spoiler thread for some cray poop.
Do you mean it’s less dramatic and less optimistic? Or more optimistic?

Also insert SpongeBob waiting meme for stateside release.
It’s less dramatic and more optimistic. Tone isn’t so dark.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I see a lot of Japanese fans calling it "uplifting" on Twitter. Then again that's a big part of what Ultraman is about.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:33 am I see a lot of Japanese fans calling it "uplifting" on Twitter. Then again that's a big part of what Ultraman is about.
This, along with LSD’s remarks is pleasant to hear. I’m tired of modern medias desire for any mature story to be overtly nihilistic, we need more optimistic works that are competently made.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Anno and optimism are about as opposite as you can get so this intrigued me more.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Saturndusk wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:55 am Anno and optimism are about as opposite as you can get so this intrigued me more.
I think this is a big misconception. Anno uses a lot of dark and heavy story elements so that when his characters do get their happiness it feels all the more impactful.
NGE for instance, is about coming to love yourself and the value of the connections we make with the people in our lives. Just because a lot of dark, traumatic things happen doesn't make a work inherently unoptimistic.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What if we use spoiler tags in the spoiler section? Will we get into trouble over that?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I’m ever so lightly trying to avoid spoilers (although we’ll see how long that lasts). Anyways I haven’t really been looking anything up for the film though, can anyone tell me how it’s generally being received? How do toku fans, Anno fans, critics, and the like feel about the movie?
He Jock it Made of Steel

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think its generally well received so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:49 am I’m ever so lightly trying to avoid spoilers (although we’ll see how long that lasts). Anyways I haven’t really been looking anything up for the film though, can anyone tell me how it’s generally being received? How do toku fans, Anno fans, critics, and the like feel about the movie?
Well-received.

I need to see it again, but the more I think of it, the more I predict that it’ll be on par with Shin Godzilla, in terms of impacting the franchise and genre. There’s things that it and Shin Godzilla do better and different than one another, but both are pure quality.

The major difference is that Shin G captured lightning in a bottle (addressing the 3/11 Earthquake and Tsunami). Shin Ultraman is quality, but I’m not sure if it’ll win as many awards as it’s more focused on a bit more general themes.

It’s been occupying my mind for the past day and a half. For me that’s a good sign.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Hey, if it makes big money, maybe Funi decides to give it a limited theatrical run! Not holding my breath though. Everything I'm hearing is fantastic.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

How long did it take to hear about a stateside release for sg? I don’t remember
He Jock it Made of Steel

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Jetty_Jags wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 8:46 am How long did it take to hear about a stateside release for sg? I don’t remember
Looks like it was announced about a month after its initial release.
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/ ... e-date?amp
I could see it either way. Americans aren't as aware of Ultraman as they are Godzilla, but on the other hand a few of the Belial movies got released over here a few years back, though well after their initial release (if I remember right). I think awareness has jumped considerably since the pandemic, Netflix series and Mill Creek push. Shin was apparently shown on 440 screens nationwide in the States, that's not too crazy for something that's making the right kinda waves in Japan.
Honestly I wonder if TsuPro has a real gauge on American Ultraman-enjoyers. Might get it here quicker if we made some noise on social media.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sat May 14, 2022 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I'm guessing the international release will probably be around August, 3 months from now. Shin Godzilla reached us around that timeframe.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

I think the more likely thing would to see it pop up to stream on the Ultra Connection Live like Trigger Episode Z. Though I would definitely prefer to see it big screen.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

This is a bit too high profile of a project to just dump on a Super Niche service, especially considering Tsuburaya's trying to grow their presence here...

Stuff like Episode Z are just glorified extended episodes.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"