Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Quick thought: since SU is shaping up to be a more mature take on the original Ultraman and the early Showa series tended to be super violent, will this mean we'll get monster gore? Maybe not on Bardiel-death-territory but some blood and dismemberment?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:30 pm Quick thought: since SU is shaping up to be a more mature take on the original Ultraman and the early Showa series tended to be super violent, will this mean we'll get monster gore? Maybe not on Bardiel-death-territory but some blood and dismemberment?
I don't think we'll get gore, but I wouldn't be surprised if limbs get cut off (cleanly), or horns/other parts get removed. Here's a thought: what if Ultraman gets badly injured, and then recovers? Like first the most part, when ultra man gets hurt, he recovers after a period. What if he loses an arm, or gets gashed up pretty badly?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I do feel like there’s a way or two on how Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman can connect. If the film took place after Shin Godzilla, maybe the film starts off like around 5 years after Shin made landfall. He has made a lasting impact on the Japan and the world. The world prepares for the next monster attack, it happens. One of the worst attacks, at be a government official can hint in Shin Godzilla. For example, “This is one of the worst Kaiju attacks since the 2016 monster attack,” or something like that. Would be a cool reference to Shin Godzilla.

Another way is basically just show an image of frozen Shin Godzilla. Not show him physically but like a brief cameo appearance would really be a nice Easter Egg in my opinion. However these are unlikely to happen. Unless the film surprises us.
Hopefully Shin Ultraman is a standalone with no connection to Shin Godzilla. And Ultraman being one of the fifth Form Godzillas fits in no way to what Ultraman is.
It's a weird but interesting idea.
Technically it doesn’t have to be Ultraman himself. He could still be an alien, maybe arriving to Earth in order to protect it from the inevitable return of Shin Godzilla. I imagine if they were in the same verse, Japan would likely be basically scarred from the attack of Shin Godzilla. For example, Neronga could be one of the surviving humanoids that broke free from Shin Godzilla. Gabora could be the tail itself (Sounds weird but since the tail has jaws, face, and yes even eyes, it does seem likely at one point it would’ve been it’s own living organism). But again, the main problem is the tail has human like jaws and the eyes have blue, not red. So like Neronga he could be a humanoid that survived and further mutated by absorbing radiation. Of course that’s assuming they are in the same verse after all.
Last edited by Denis on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Do you think the postponing of this movie is the reason why they haven’t posted a second trailer yet?

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:21 pm Do you think the postponing of this movie is the reason why they haven’t posted a second trailer yet?
Most likely. I mean they finished shooting for the film. Could be also that the regrading isn’t done yet.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Denis wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:21 pm Do you think the postponing of this movie is the reason why they haven’t posted a second trailer yet?
Most likely. I mean they finished shooting for the film. Could be also that the regrading isn’t done yet.
It would be smart to show this film to a test audience and do re-shoots if it’s not well-liked.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

This is my issue with Ultraman. There’s just too much of it! I’ve already lost interest in collecting the blu rays lol. Projects like Shin Ultraman are fine because it’s a rehash of the original.. but beyond that there’s simply too much to catch up on and is basically impossible.

Added in 6 minutes 26 seconds:
Denis wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:39 pm I do feel like there’s a way or two on how Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman can connect. If the film took place after Shin Godzilla, maybe the film starts off like around 5 years after Shin made landfall. He has made a lasting impact on the Japan and the world. The world prepares for the next monster attack, it happens. One of the worst attacks, at be a government official can hint in Shin Godzilla. For example, “This is one of the worst Kaiju attacks since the 2016 monster attack,” or something like that. Would be a cool reference to Shin Godzilla.

Another way is basically just show an image of frozen Shin Godzilla. Not show him physically but like a brief cameo appearance would really be a nice Easter Egg in my opinion. However these are unlikely to happen. Unless the film surprises us.
Hopefully Shin Ultraman is a standalone with no connection to Shin Godzilla. And Ultraman being one of the fifth Form Godzillas fits in no way to what Ultraman is.
It's a weird but interesting idea.
Technically it doesn’t have to be Ultraman himself. He could still be an alien, maybe arriving to Earth in order to protect it from the inevitable return of Shin Godzilla. I imagine if they were in the same verse, Japan would likely be basically scarred from the attack of Shin Godzilla. For example, Neronga could be one of the surviving humanoids that broke free from Shin Godzilla. Gabora could be the tail itself (Sounds weird but since the tail has jaws, face, and yes even eyes, it does seem likely at one point it would’ve been it’s own living organism). But again, the main problem is the tail has human like jaws and the eyes have blue, not red. So like Neronga he could be a humanoid that survived and further mutated by absorbing radiation. Of course that’s assuming they are in the same verse after all.
I low key want this to be connected to Shin Godzilla. The fact Toho is producing it gives me some kind of hope. It would be something different.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:51 am This is my issue with Ultraman. There’s just too much of it! I’ve already lost interest in collecting the blu rays lol. Projects like Shin Ultraman are fine because it’s a rehash of the original.. but beyond that there’s simply too much to catch up on and is basically impossible.
It's entirely possible to enjoy parts of a long-running franchise without seeing or knowing about all of it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Shin Ultraman could totally have some kaiju gore. Ultraman was gory, Shin Godzilla coughed up blood and even bled when he got bombed.
I for one would love to see some blood. Blood is the most cinematic liquid!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Kaiju gore would be pretty cool. As long as Ultraman only bleeds pure light, I'm fine with him being seriously injured as well.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Gore isn't needed for this movie, but adding it in anyway could be a nice nod to how brutal the Showa Ultraman series' could be, so i wouldn't be complaining!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

eabaker wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:59 am
Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:51 am This is my issue with Ultraman. There’s just too much of it! I’ve already lost interest in collecting the blu rays lol. Projects like Shin Ultraman are fine because it’s a rehash of the original.. but beyond that there’s simply too much to catch up on and is basically impossible.
It's entirely possible to enjoy parts of a long-running franchise without seeing or knowing about all of it.
Parts of it it, for sure. It kind of just gives you a headache trying to watch all of it.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Some cool pics from the making of Anno and Daicon Film's Return of Ultraman.

You can watch the short here if you haven't. It's interesting, aside from the giant Anno at the end, it's quite a serious and sober take on the series with very impressive model and miniature work - it's almost like the pilot episode of a legit series that never happened.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I wonder if Red King will make an appearance. Would be very interesting.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Denis wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:09 pm I wonder if Red King will make an appearance. Would be very interesting.
That'd be cool. I think a likely change if that happened would be longer arms.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:08 am
Denis wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:09 pm I wonder if Red King will make an appearance. Would be very interesting.
That'd be cool. I think a likely change if that happened would be longer arms.
Maybe even have him go on all fours once in a while. Would be interesting to see.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Might not be a surprise to some but new Bandai variants of Gabora and Neronga pretty much confirms Neronga will retain his invisibility powers. Curious to see how its implemented in the film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 pm Might not be a surprise to some but new Bandai variants of Gabora and Neronga pretty much confirms Neronga will retain his invisibility powers. Curious to see how its implemented in the film.
I imagine that early on the film there will be a lot of strange things getting destroyed. Like an electrical plant or cars getting overturned with little warning. This’ll be build up towards a big reveal.

Man, I’m really excited for Shin Ultraman this year, but with everything else going on I can’t deny being a little forgetful about it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:26 pm Might not be a surprise to some but new Bandai variants of Gabora and Neronga pretty much confirms Neronga will retain his invisibility powers. Curious to see how its implemented in the film.
You can see it very briefly in the teaser around the 15 second mark.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:38 pm
I imagine that early on the film there will be a lot of strange things getting destroyed. Like an electrical plant or cars getting overturned with little warning. This’ll be build up towards a big reveal.

Man, I’m really excited for Shin Ultraman this year, but with everything else going on I can’t deny being a little forgetful about it.
Well, if Shin Godzilla is anything to go bye most of us probably won't even get to see it this year - Shin had very limited theatrical showing, nowhere near me had it, and that was clearly in the pre-covid era. So unless Netflix or another streaming makes a deal to show it most of us we'll have to wait for the blu-ray release next year (or earlier if pirating a fansub). So forgetting about it while we're getting a lot of Ultraman content right now for the first/easiest time is understandable.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.