Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:13 am Well, if Shin Godzilla is anything to go bye most of us probably won't even get to see it this year - Shin had very limited theatrical showing, nowhere near me had it, and that was clearly in the pre-covid era. So unless Netflix or another streaming makes a deal to show it most of us we'll have to wait for the blu-ray release next year (or earlier if pirating a fansub).
I mean Netflix has distributed the Ultraman anime, and is also helping Tsuburaya make that upcoming animated film. Them distributing SU wouldn't be that much of a surprise.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Netflix has a previous relationship, and they've picked up international distribution for several Asian blockbusters in the last few years (Japanese, Chinese, and Korean) so I wouldn't be surprised if they got it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Funimation or GKIDS ends up with it.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:47 am
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:13 am Well, if Shin Godzilla is anything to go bye most of us probably won't even get to see it this year - Shin had very limited theatrical showing, nowhere near me had it, and that was clearly in the pre-covid era. So unless Netflix or another streaming makes a deal to show it most of us we'll have to wait for the blu-ray release next year (or earlier if pirating a fansub).
I mean Netflix has distributed the Ultraman anime, and is also helping Tsuburaya make that upcoming animated film. Them distributing SU wouldn't be that much of a surprise.
Oh I wasn't making an argument against it - I merely said that unless that happens - it's certainly possible. Albeit personally I hope they don't - rather not have to wait that much longer to get another Japanese kaiju blu-ray ala the anime trilogy.

Added in 54 seconds:
Angilasman wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:56 am Netflix has a previous relationship, and they've picked up international distribution for several Asian blockbusters in the last few years (Japanese, Chinese, and Korean) so I wouldn't be surprised if they got it.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Funimation or GKIDS ends up with it.
I thought Funimation did good on the last Shin film. Never heard of GKIDS.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:16 pm Never heard of GKIDS.
From what I've heard, they dub Ghibli films.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

When Disney let their rights to release Ghibli films stateside go a few years ago, GKIDS picked it up. They now distribute and produce new dubs. They also work with Shout!Factory to produce physical media releases.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

GKIDS had many of the same people who worked on the Ghibli films at Disney, so the Ghibli library moving to them was pretty natural a transition.

GKIDS has built off the success of their Ghibli distribution to become one of the main anime distributors in the US - but their emphasis has been solely on features, not shows. Recent theatrically released anime in the US like Promare, Lupin III: The First, and Weathering With You are all GKIDS releases... and they are branching into shows: they've nabbed up the home video distribution to the original Evangelion shows and movies (recently Netflix got worldwide streaming rights, remember). It's the Anno connection (I think the relationship with Funimation may have soured after the 3rd Rebuild film?) and the emphasis on features which made me think they'd be a good fit for Shin Ultraman.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:13 am -snip-
I wouldn't worry. Tsubuaraya recently has been on the ball of getting things localized ASAP. For example, Ultraman Z pretty much aired with English subtitles at the same time as the TV release. they know what they're doing. Then, combine that with the recent surplus in popularity of Ultraman around the world, thanks to the aforementioned simulcasts, new home releases and partnerships with Netflix and Marvel. We're also in a drastically different scenario than we were a few years ago; Shin-Godzilla did really well in it's limited theatrical run, and Godzilla vs. Kong was very successful. No doubt, theaters, even indie ones, are going to see a market for showing this film. If not in theaters, then I guarantee ou it'll be online on Netflix relatively quickly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Is it me or does anyone else think we’re finally going to see the main trailer on Ultraman Day during that announced stream?
Last edited by Millenial88 on Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Millenial88 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 pm Is it me or does anyone else think we’re finally going to see the main trailer on Ultraman Day during that announced stream?
I hope so but with COVID having spiked in Japan, who knows.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:06 pm and they are branching into shows: they've nabbed up the home video distribution to the original Evangelion shows and movies
Off-topic, but do we have any idea when they plan to release the original show? I haven't seen any news about that in a while.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

JAGzilla wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 am
Off-topic, but do we have any idea when they plan to release the original show? I haven't seen any news about that in a while.
No word since the initial announcement.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Angilasman wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:07 am
JAGzilla wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:49 am
No word since the initial announcement.
Ah. Well, hopefully not too much longer.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

He must beat those two pretty quickly and the main monster or monsters come later.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Woah, this just got a lot more interesting! Super hyped to see what other kaiju they have in store!
crossing my fingers for Baltan or Zetton
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I wouldn't mind Pagos and Magular for a Baragon family reunion.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

tbeasley wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 am I wouldn't mind Pagos and Magular for a Baragon family reunion.
I'm 50/50 percent sure this'll be what happens.

My other half is thinking we're gonna get some updated looks on Gomora and Red King (C'mon, pretty much the first two things people think of when you say "Ultra-Kaiju") OR, we get some of Godzilla's clones like Gomess or Astron.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I feel like Shin Baltan is a given but other than that, I'd imagine it'd either be the Baragons, some more B-list Ultraman kaiju, or maybe even Kiruan.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 am
tbeasley wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:55 am I wouldn't mind Pagos and Magular for a Baragon family reunion.
I suppose the Baragon-based kaiju will be related in a plot significant way. Clones? A single monster that's consistently upgraded by... bad guy aliens? Mad scientist?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:26 am
Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:02 am
I suppose the Baragon-based kaiju will be related in a plot significant way. Clones? A single monster that's consistently upgraded by... bad guy aliens? Mad scientist?
Maybe the “bad guy alien” that is upgrading the baragon kaiju is Baltan or Zetton ;)
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: