Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Anyone know why I might be having trouble buying the two kaiju vinyls from HLJ? Didn't even realize they're out. I have a new card so don't know if that's an issue. Apologies if this is off topic, but yeah I sent them a message about it as well.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Godzillakuj94 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:16 pm Anyone know why I might be having trouble buying the two kaiju vinyls from HLJ? Didn't even realize they're out. I have a new card so don't know if that's an issue. Apologies if this is off topic, but yeah I sent them a message about it as well.
Think you're on the wrong thread dude.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:33 pm
Godzillakuj94 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:16 pm Anyone know why I might be having trouble buying the two kaiju vinyls from HLJ? Didn't even realize they're out. I have a new card so don't know if that's an issue. Apologies if this is off topic, but yeah I sent them a message about it as well.
Think you're on the wrong thread dude.
🤦‍♂️ Ugh you're right my bad. I definitely thought I was in the merch thread.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

oku wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:47 am You can barely tell it's two movies

vPuDVH2XZQg
wut

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Has anyone else noticed that the Beta Capsule has Ultraman's Travel Sphere inside?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:03 am Has anyone else noticed that the Beta Capsule has Ultraman's Travel Sphere inside?
Wow, nice catch! That's a pretty neat little add on.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:21 am
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:03 am Has anyone else noticed that the Beta Capsule has Ultraman's Travel Sphere inside?
Wow, nice catch! That's a pretty neat little add on.
Makes me wonder if there will be a rise or if the transformation will be more like in The Next.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Is it possible that if this movie spawns a trilogy, perhaps Ultraman Zero could travel to this movie's universe in part 3, using his trans-dimensional armor?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:19 pm Is it possible that if this movie spawns a trilogy, perhaps Ultraman Zero could travel to this movie's universe in part 3, using his trans-dimensional armor?
Don't see why not. It doesn't even need to be more than one film, it could be messed into the main Ultraman series all the same.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:19 pm Is it possible that if this movie spawns a trilogy, perhaps Ultraman Zero could travel to this movie's universe in part 3, using his trans-dimensional armor?
I doubt it. From SciFi Japan:
While few details have been revealed, the filmmakers have stated that SHIN ULTRAMAN will be separate from the main Ultraman continuity, taking place in a modern world where the hero appears for the first time. The goal is to recreate the impact audiences felt when the first ULTRAMAN debuted on TV back in 1966. Toho will distribute the film theatrically in Japan in 2021.
The idea seems to be to create their own Ultra world and characters. So with that in mind, I doubt any Anno/Higuchi Ultraman movies (assuming there will be sequels) will be leading up to a crossover with the main Ultra universes. It's probably more likely that the Shin version of the character will turn up in future TPC works, not the other way around.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:28 pm
I doubt it. From SciFi Japan:
While few details have been revealed, the filmmakers have stated that SHIN ULTRAMAN will be separate from the main Ultraman continuity, taking place in a modern world where the hero appears for the first time. The goal is to recreate the impact audiences felt when the first ULTRAMAN debuted on TV back in 1966. Toho will distribute the film theatrically in Japan in 2021.
The idea seems to be to create their own Ultra world and characters. So with that in mind, I doubt any Anno/Higuchi Ultraman movies (assuming there will be sequels) will be leading up to a crossover with the main Ultra universes. It's probably more likely that the Shin version of the character will turn up in future TPC works, not the other way around.
This is another reason why the Heisei series is Shin Gamera.

Shin Godzilla is the first time Godzilla appeared without going back to 1954 and Shin Ultraman is the first time Ultraman is coming back with no connection to past Ultras at all.

Gamera already did that in 1995.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 pmShin Ultraman is the first time Ultraman is coming back with no connection to past Ultras at all.
There have been quite a few Ultra shows that have had "no connection to past Ultras at all," so unless you're talking about how all past Ultra reboots have been absorbed into TPC's multiverse (or whatever) I'm not sure what you mean. And even then, having, say, Ultraman Cosmos appear in a movie alongside Ultraman ('66) long after both characters' original works had concluded doesn't retroactively erase the separate world the Cosmos series created for itself.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Crossovers are fun, but they've been done to death in the last decade-and-a-half of the franchise. I'm looking forward to something entirely self-contained!

... but, while I think Shin Godzilla feels like a one-and-done story I wouldn't mind if Shin Ultraman became it's own series. Anno and Higuchi could trade directing duties back and forth!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:02 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 pmShin Ultraman is the first time Ultraman is coming back with no connection to past Ultras at all.
There have been quite a few Ultra shows that have had "no connection to past Ultras at all," so unless you're talking about how all past Ultra reboots have been absorbed into TPC's multiverse (or whatever) I'm not sure what you mean. And even then, having, say, Ultraman Cosmos appear in a movie alongside Ultraman ('66) long after both characters' original works had concluded doesn't retroactively erase the separate world the Cosmos series created for itself.

I was talking about OG Hayata Ultraman, my apologies for not being clear. This is the first time they have rebooted him to my knowledge with no previous Ultraman.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ No need to apologize, I gotcha now.

You might be right about that then, but I'll admit I'm unfamiliar with most of what TPC has done with the characters and franchise since the late '90s.
Last edited by Terasawa on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Yeah the Ultraman franchise as a whole is more connected now than it ever has been. It might be the only time I'm interested in a multiverse in any franchise. Nowadays, a good portion of Ultras besides the Ultra Brothers are training the new guys, like Zero & Mebius are considered "masters" now.

I wouldn't be opposed to Shin Ultraman appearing alongside his counterparts later down the line, but we already have several that look like Man that it would be a bit redundant (plus Shin removed some of the looks of being a man in suit), and I'm a big fan of Jack and others. I'd rather this story be about a new version of Man, since he's taken a backseat compared to others from his era like Seven and Taro. Let the OG enjoy some time to himself.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:57 pm (plus Shin removed some of the looks of being a man in suit)
Yeah, I wonder how they'll do his suit once he inevitably gets integrated into the rest of the franchise.

oku
Yojimbo

Post by oku »

The realistic Ultraman film we got befoe Shin was cool:

watch?v=FmqJpHyHv6I

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

oku wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:18 am The realistic Ultraman film we got befoe Shin was cool:

watch?v=FmqJpHyHv6I
Okay, whoever thought of this deserves an award.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I can see the Shin design, from what we've seen of it anyway, being done practically with the right suit and performer... stuff like the lack of eyeholes and back seam are entirely doable. Some details like the metallic sheen to his skin might have to be digital but beyond that...

I still dig the design though, how simple and streamline it is. I haven't seen Ultraman the Next but the bulky armored look doesn't quite do it for me, as much as I can appreciate it being done practically.