Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:49 pm I can hold off on 80 until Bluray but I'm more than willing to buy animation DVD only. I refuse to buy Nexus on DVD however. I'll wait till Bluray for that.
Oh? A fellow Nexus Enjoyer™ I see. Charmed, I'm sure.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Nexus was shot on video, so you're not getting much more than standard def either way - but I'd certainly need The Next in HD. Maybe they could have separate Blu-ray releases for the movies associated with standard def/DVD shows instead of bundling them together on the same format?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle was shot on Video, and I think it looks great on BRD. Whether they've been released on BRD or not by TPC, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get HD releases of any of the modern shows. I think (hope) The Ultraman, and 80 are going to be the exception, more than the norm. Also, since and HD version is being worked on for 80 (about 2/3 completed), does anyone know what the status of "The Ultraman" is? Why no HD material to source from?
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

o.supreme wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:39 amI don't see any reason why we shouldn't get HD releases of any of the modern shows.
Not all video media are the same. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all TPC Ultra productions since the 1980s* have been shot either on video or digitally. Even if any of the footage was shot on film, I think all of it was edited, composited, and finished on video (or, more recently, digitally). I wouldn't be surprised if the native resolution of some of the early Heisei productions (think Tiga through Cosmos, at least) is no more than 480i; in that case, true HD versions are impossible and Blu-rays would only be upscales.

I haven't seen Mega Monster Battle, but if the Blu-ray is truly high definition, my guess it was either shot and finished digitally or on a high definition analog video medium. That wouldn't necessarily be true for the series that preceded it.

*Theatrically-released films, especially before the mid 2000s, were more likely shot and edited on 35mm film.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

While we might dig SD on Blu-ray (and it's awesome) remember that some of the earliest ones by certain anime distributors had some flaws. The tech is tricky. I mean, I don't pretend to know too much about the science, but it seems a certain degree of finesse is required. I like Mill Creek, but I'm not sure I'd ascribe the encoders and bit-raters employed there a ton of finesse!

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:09 am Not all video media are the same. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all TPC Ultra productions since the 1980s* have been shot either on video or digitally. Even if any of the footage was shot on film, I think all of it was edited, composited, and finished on video (or, more recently, digitally). I wouldn't be surprised if the native resolution of some of the early Heisei productions (think Tiga through Cosmos, at least) is no more than 480i; in that case, true HD versions are impossible and Blu-rays would only be upscales.

I haven't seen Mega Monster Battle, but if the Blu-ray is truly high definition, my guess it was either shot and finished digitally or on a high definition analog video medium. That wouldn't necessarily be true for the series that preceded it.

*Theatrically-released films, especially before the mid 2000s, were more likely shot and edited on 35mm film.
Understood. Since TPC didn't really have much going on with Ultraman in the 80's, (Ando Melos was obviously shot on Video, but we don't even know if quality elements of that show exist at all?) So I usually start with Gridman (1993) *which is getting a BRD Release, and go through UGMMB (2008). I believe all those series were shot on Video, yes. Even if they are just upscales, I'd be satisfied with that.

However starting with the *New Age* series in 2013-2020 (Neo Ultra Q-Z). I'm not sure how they are being shot. It doesn't have that "filmed on a video camera" look of the previously mentioned shows, but it doesn't look quite like film either... of course I've been watching a lot of Showa era stuff, so that may be playing tricks on my eyes as well.
Angilasman wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:08 am While we might dig SD on Blu-ray (and it's awesome) remember that some of the earliest ones by certain anime distributors had some flaws. The tech is tricky. I mean, I don't pretend to know too much about the science, but it seems a certain degree of finesse is required. I like Mill Creek, but I'm not sure I'd ascribe the encoders and bit-raters employed there a ton of finesse!
The only company I know that uses it currently is Discotek/Eastern Star. Are there others? I know they did re-releases some series as SDBRD AFTER their initial DVD releases, but I never double-dipped. I am ok with what I have. Also yes I love getting SD on BRD. Having a 50 episode series on 6 DVD , vs 1 SDBRD is a HUGE space saver, I have pretty much every Super-Robot series they have released so far on this format, and haven't encountered any issues yet. Also I know BRD do not scratch easily, but heaven forbid that happens, that is an extensive replacement -_- . Also the fact that they produce these in far less quantities makes the prices go crazy once they go OOP.

I feel bad, but I sold one specific anime series recently for a LOT of money. I don't expect to ever get it back again, unless a new company releases it, but it was for a good cause. I don't let small holes in my media collection keep me up at night, but if the chance to get it back ever does come up, I'm taking it.
Last edited by o.supreme on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ Blu-ray has a pretty rugged scratch coating, so they're safer than DVD in that regard. As for what other companies do SDBR? I think Section 23 or Sentai Fimmworks? Some of the other vintage anime distributors. I know the encode gave the picture a bit of an annoying 'ghosting' in some of those early releases.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

The user giantfraggle at blu-ray.com shared an email response that his friend received from Mill Creek’s quality assurance manager, Lyle Goff, about why The Ultraman and Ultraman 80 are only being released on DVD:
Lyle Goff, Quality Assurance Manager, Mill Creek Entertainment wrote:Unfortunately, there will only be DVD releases for these two titles. The masters are in standard definition and this precludes the titles from having a Blu-ray release.
TPC provided Mill Creek with SD masters for those two shows. Maybe the masters for all of these shows and movies were provided by TPC back in 2019 when Mill Creek first acquired the license. Maybe that was before TPC had remastered 80 in HD.

UltraSeven X was the first of TPC’s Ultra hero TV shows to be shot in either widescreen or high definition, according to SciFi Japan’s series guide. With 80 being the last series shot on film, every show from Tiga through Mebius must only exist in standard definition.

I personally don't mind if Mill Creek releases those SD shows on DVD but I hope they're willing to do mixed-format sets when the occasion calls for it. The Nexus set could include every episode across five DVDs with the movie Ultraman: The Next on a BRD.

Now it makes sense why Mill Creek opted to release the classic Ultra shows chronologically and the most recent shows in more of a reverse order. They’ve been prioritizing the HD content.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:25 pm Maybe the masters for all of these shows and movies were provided by TPC back in 2019 when Mill Creek first acquired the license. Maybe that was before TPC had remastered 80 in HD.
If not that, perhaps the contracts stipulated delivery of SD versions of those shows (possibly because HD masters weren't then available, as you suggested).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Lyle Goff, Quality Assurance Manager, Mill Creek Entertainment wrote:Unfortunately, there will only be DVD releases for these two titles. The masters are in standard definition and this precludes the titles from having a Blu-ray release.
Oh, come on. I don't want dozens of fuck-huge thick-ass DVD cases wasting space on my shelves. Bad enough the Showa Blu-rays are as big as they are. Plus, I don't want my favorite Ultra show (Mebius) on such a bland format.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:25 pmI personally don't mind if Mill Creek releases those SD shows on DVD but I hope they're willing to do mixed-format sets when the occasion calls for it. The Nexus set could include every episode across five DVDs with the movie Ultraman: The Next on a BRD.
That's what I'm hoping. I don't mind SD releases of shot-on-video shows, but I'd definitely want their movie tie-ins (shot on film) in HD.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:25 pm
Oh, come on. I don't want dozens of fuck-huge thick-ass DVD cases wasting space on my shelves. Bad enough the Showa Blu-rays are as big as they are. Plus, I don't want my favorite Ultra show (Mebius) on such a bland format.
There is literally nothing Mill Creek can about it. I'd rather have everything on bluray myself, but if this is how I get to see Ultraman 80 then so be it.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:25 pmOh, come on. I don't want dozens of fuck-huge thick-ass DVD cases wasting space on my shelves. Bad enough the Showa Blu-rays are as big as they are. Plus, I don't want my favorite Ultra show (Mebius) on such a bland format.
Awesome to have a fellow Mebius fan :thumbsup: . As for the formats, I'm not too worried. I think these DVD will be more the exception than the norm. I don't see any reason why anything from 2000 and on should be on DVD, even if it is just an upscale to BRD. If that is the case though, Probably Mebius would be at least a 2 volume set, and Cosmos 3 volumes. But I'm not going to fret about it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Legion1979 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:12 am
There is literally nothing Mill Creek can about it. I'd rather have everything on bluray myself, but if this is how I get to see Ultraman 80 then so be it.
Unless their contract prevents it, they could definitely do an SD Blu-ray release. I favor a DVD release for the SD shows myself, but there are compromises to be made either way.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

o.supreme wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:53 pmHowever starting with the *New Age* series in 2013-2020 (Neo Ultra Q-Z). I'm not sure how they are being shot. It doesn't have that "filmed on a video camera" look of the previously mentioned shows, but it doesn't look quite like film either... of course I've been watching a lot of Showa era stuff, so that may be playing tricks on my eyes as well.
Those would be shot on HD video. Almost everything is shot on digital video of some type nowadays. A lot of the difference is probably in the frame rate -- the newer shows are 24fps, whereas stuff like Gridman and Ultraman Max are 30fps. There are also probably various differences between the formats of the raw footage, especially how they handle color and how they're graded in post, that have a significant effect on the overall look.
Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 am
Unless their contract prevents it, they could definitely do an SD Blu-ray release. I favor a DVD release for the SD shows myself, but there are compromises to be made either way.
This is true, and I can definitely see the benefits of an SD BD release, but it's also a pretty uncommon thing that would probably be unfamiliar to most consumers, and DVDs still sell better than Blu-rays of any type. I also don't know how manufacturing costs compare/scale between multiple DVDs and one Blu-ray disc, but there's that consideration as well. In the end, under the circumstances, it just makes sense commercially to do what they're doing.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

As long as I can watch 80 and scream the theme song at the top of my lungs away from judgement I'll take what I can get.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I'm torn on whether or not to preorder The Ultraman and Ultraman 80 because the way Mill Creek is making it sound is that a HD master of those won't ever exist yet we know that Tsuburaya is currently releasing HD versions of Ultraman 80 for air over in Japan. This is their response to people on FB in regards to the DVD releases of these two shows: That is correct! The series is only available in standard definition due to the way the series was produced and archived. Thank you for helping out So that makes it sound like a HD master is not going to be available. I really don't want to double dip if I don't have to because as we know if it's a contract thing, contracts can always be renegotiated.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

How good are the chances we’ll get an announcement of Taiga and Z getting North America releases
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

0% chance of that. R/B was the newest show completed when the contract was made early in 2019. There has been speculation that once MC has released everything they initially had license to, they may try to negotiate an extension with TPC to get more shows/newer shows, but I believe they want to release everything they have access to first.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Terasawa wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:21 am
I wouldn't be shocked at all if this is similar to how Toho has historically tried to prevent American distributors from putting material on DVD or bluray that isn't already on those formats in Japan.