Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Love to start getting the 90s Ultra shows.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Tiga was just announced for DVD with an October release. Dyna and Gaia to follow

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Got a neat mural thing again!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Hell, yeah!

I understand DVD for SD shows, but I'm happy that they're leaving out the movies from the sets - presumably for Blu-ray releases since they're shot on film.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Great news!

From Mill Creek's Twitter page:

SciFi Japan:
MILL CREEK ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY RELEASE OF ULTRAMAN TIGA ON DVD
The ULTRAMAN TIGA (ウルトラマンティガ, Urutoraman Tiga) series includes 52 episodes along with the special ULTRAMAN TIGA SIDE STORY: REVIVAL OF THE ANCIENT GIANT (ウルトラマンティガ外伝古代に蘇る巨人 Urutoraman Tiga Gaiden Kodai Ni Yomigaeru Kyojin, 2001).

The exciting debut of ULTRAMAN DYNA (ウルトラマンダイナ, Urutoraman Daina, 1997-98) has 51 episodes from season one plus the movie ULTRAMAN TIGA & ULTRAMAN DYNA: WARRIORS OF THE STAR OF LIGHT (ウルトラマンティガ&ウルトラマンダイナ 光の星の戦士たち, Urutoraman Tiga & Urutoraman Daina: Hikari no Hoshi no Senshi-tachi, 1998) and the special ULTRAMAN DYNA: RETURN OF HANEJIRO (ウルトラマンダイナ 帰ってきたハネジロー, Urutoraman Daina Kaettekita Hanejirō, 2001).

Included in the ULTRAMAN GAIA (ウルトラマンガイア, Urutoraman Gaia, 1998-99) series is 51 episodes and the special releases; ULTRAMAN TIGA, ULTRAMAN DYNA & ULTRAMAN GAIA: THE BATTLE IN HYPER SPACE (ウルトラマンティガ ウルトラマンダイナ&ウルトラマンガイア超時空の大決戦, Urutoraman Tiga, Urutoraman Daina & Urutoraman Gaia Chō Jikū no Daikessen, 1999) and ULTRAMAN GAIA: GAIA ONCE AGAIN (ウルトラマンガイア ガイアよ再び, Urutoraman Gaia: Gaia yo Futatabi, 2001).

ULTRAMAN TIGA, a 6-disc DVD collection, will be available October 5, 2021 with an MSRP of $34.99.

ULTRAMAN DYNA, a 6-disc DVD collection, will be available November 2, 2021 with an MSRP of $34.99.

ULTRAMAN GAIA, a 6-disc DVD collection, will be available December 7, 2021 with an MSRP of $34.99.

It sounds like the only thing being left out of these sets is the 2000 film Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey. I wonder if Mill Creek intends to release that on its own or bundle it with something else, maybe Ultraman Neos?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I'm not upset about DVD, but since I already have the Funimation Tiga set, the only reason for me to get Mill Creeks set is the one side story. Also I wonder after these 3 come out if they will just keep moving forward, or go back to release shows Iike Ultraseven X and Mebius? Otherwise Mebius may be the last show released as part of the current deal.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Angilasman wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:05 am Hell, yeah!

I understand DVD for SD shows, but I'm happy that they're leaving out the movies from the sets - presumably for Blu-ray releases since they're shot on film.

Bummer - it turns out that the movies for Dyna and Gaia are included. The Tiga movue has some music rights issues preventing US licensing!

Can't we just strip out the song(s) and pipe in some library tracks?!

Still happy to get these three shows. Gaia is my favorite, so it'll be a great Christmas gift!

-edit-
... and this is the coolest packaging, yet.
Last edited by Angilasman on Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Wow, this'll be an insta buy for me! This is probably my favourite superhero trilogy of all time. Gorgeous art, spectacular mural - and the 2001 specials are a nice touch. All I need is a fancy Tiga: Final Odyssey release!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Any discussion about whether "Take me Higher" is gonna be included as the theme for this particular set?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

No Blu-ray, no buy.

I know it's (mostly) out of Mill Creek's hands but I've no interest in collecting DVDs anymore.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'll never understand that stance. There's nothing Mill Creek can do. Why lose out on some great releases for a reason like that? A DVD. A bluray. They're both physical media that can play on the same machine. I prefer bluray, but I'd never let a preference stop me from experiencing something great.
Last edited by Legion1979 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I'm kinda amazed we're back to the "one release a month" scheduling. I still can't get over this deluge, even 2 years in.

Saw a screenshot of Keith Aiken answering comments (Facebook?) and it clued me into a rather sound bit of reasoning on Mill Creek's part: they don't want to put non-HD transfers on Blu-ray because they're entirely open to re-releasing them on Blu-ray if Tsuburaya eventually has proper HD masters available (Mill Creek's Ultraman licensing agreement is years long, so re-releases are something they're thinking of). They don't want there to be market confusion for a (for example) HD Blu-ray of 80 if they already put out an SD version on Blu-ray.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah the difference between a DVD and blu-ray is less different than a VHS to a DVD or blu-ray.
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:19 pm I'll never understand that stance. There's nothing Mill Creek can do. Why lose out on some great releases for a reason like that? A DVD. A bluray. They're both physical media that can play on the same machine. I prefer bluray, but I'd never let a preference stop me from experiencing something great.
I don't buy DVDs anymore. Simple as that, not difficult to understand in the slightest. I rarely buy TV shows physically anymore as well since I only really watch them on streaming services these days. The package has to be special enough for me to get it and that includes format. I bought all the Mill Creek releases so far because they were on a higher quality format that I personally collected and the packaging + extras like booklets and digital codes sweetened the already nice deal. These new releases are missing content on an outdated format. I'm not "missing out on something great" with these either as if I really was desperate enough to see any of these shows, I'd torrent them. The current offerings are of no use or interest to me.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'm content with streaming these shows as they turn up on Shout! TV / Tubi, but Tiga might be an exception depending on the streaming rights situation. But that's also dependent on whether or not the music has been altered, so...
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Nothing says "release more of this franchise" like automatically boycotting a legitimate, first time release by a rather small company because they don't have the material to release HD versions and publicly announcing you'll just torrent them instead.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

So with Final Odyssey being left out of the Tiga set because of a "Music Rights Issue", I'm guessing it is because "Take Me Higher" is played as the end credits song. Of course they could pull a Sony/Showa Godzilla and just not have end credits to the film, but I guess they are seeking a different solution. If it gets an individual BRD release later in time, that would be cool

That to me strongly suggests that the MC Tiga DVD will have a different opening theme. I am SO glad i have held on to/will me keeping my Funimation DVD's.

Also I know Keith stated that the Tiga DVD will not have the 4Kids English dub (I understand not all episodes were dubbed, they were heavily edited, and even one episode was a combination of 2 Tiga Episodes...yeah I remember actually seeing that on TV and thinking -- what???-- at the time, I have no nostalgia or need for this dub, unlike the original Ultraman). But I was just curious of the Dyna and Gaia movies will have their English Dubs? Again, they are NOT great, but if not, then again, another reason for me to keep the Image release of BOTH of those films for the obscurity they have become.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Blu rays last longer than dvds. That’s sort of my mind set. I’d buy a non hd version of a show/movie on blu ray if hd was not available. A bit disappointed but may still pick these up. They can make it up if they get the rights to Zone Fighter.

Millcreek has been around for a long time. They’re not a “small” company FYI.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:48 pm
Millcreek has been around for a long time. They’re not a “small” company FYI.
Time doesn't equate size. They've been around awhile. They have connections with major studios. They're still a small company.

I'd prefer them on Blu as well, but I understand their reasoning: a) aside from some anime fans, SD on Blu-ray is pretty foreign to most, where generally Blu-ray equals HD and b) they don't want to create confusion if they're able to acquire proper HD versions later. If you already have Ultraman 80 on Blu-ray you may not see the reason for buying it on Blu-ray again, but if it's a DVD to Blu-ray upgrade it's clearer.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

From Mill Creek’s Twitter page:

I got my first DVD just over 20 years ago. It was Godzilla 2000. At no point in the last 20 years have I lost my ability to enjoy watching DVDs.

Many of the movies that I physically own are on DVD. Matango, Rodan, War of the Gargantuas, Dogora, The X From Outer Space, The Mysterians, Goke: Body Snatcher From Hell, This Is Spinal Tap….. The same goes for a lot of the shows that I own. Godzilla: The Series, Reno! 911, MXC, Jackass, the first two seasons of both The Venture Bros. and Metalocalypse, plus the handful of Mystery Science Theater 3000 volumes that I have — all DVD.

Heck, just a few weeks ago I was psyched to finally get BCI’s 2007-2008 DVD sets of the classic Japanese sci-fi shows Iron King and The Super Robot: Red Baron. Of course I’ll be psyched to finally get The Ultraman, Ultraman 80, Ultraman Tiga, Ultraman Dyna and Ultraman Gaia on DVD later this year! What a time to be a fan!

Terasawa wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:57 pm I'm content with streaming these shows as they turn up on Shout! TV / Tubi, but Tiga might be an exception depending on the streaming rights situation. But that's also dependent on whether or not the music has been altered, so...
I’m curious to see if any of these upcoming releases end up streaming on Tubi / Shout TV or airing on TokuSHOUTsu. None of them list digital on the packaging, nor is digital mentioned in Mill Creek’s announcement graphics or the SciFi Japan articles.

It’s a safe bet that none of them will be available to own digitally through Mill Creek’s MovieSpree app. Last month’s Ultra Galaxy and Ultraman Zero sets were the first to lack that digital ownership, and yet the film Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial apparently just premiered on TokuSHOUTsu yesterday, although it isn’t currently available to stream through Tubi or Shout TV.

o.supreme wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 am I was just curious of the Dyna and Gaia movies will have their English Dubs? Again, they are NOT great, but if not, then again, another reason for me to keep the Image release of BOTH of those films for the obscurity they have become.
A year ago, Keith Aiken said that the inclusion of the English dubs for the Dyna and Gaia movies will depend on if the rights are cleared.

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:38 pm Any discussion about whether "Take me Higher" is gonna be included as the theme for this particular set?
o.supreme wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:28 amSo with Final Odyssey being left out of the Tiga set because of a "Music Rights Issue", I'm guessing it is because "Take Me Higher" is played as the end credits song. Of course they could pull a Sony/Showa Godzilla and just not have end credits to the film, but I guess they are seeking a different solution. If it gets an individual BRD release later in time, that would be cool
Unfortunately, Mill Creek can’t seek a different solution for The Final Odyssey's audio because TPC isn’t offering that movie for international licensing at all.

Whether the episodes in this upcoming Tiga set will include the original theme song or an alternate version is unknown at this time.

Here’s some more info from SciFi Japan’s Facebook page: