ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Millenial88 »

I have no problem with this series concept or the Ultra Series expressing its political leanings altogether. It all comes down to how deft the hand is at crafting the whole thing.

Just don’t make another grim-dark reboot out of this idea.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Saturndusk wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:05 am You obviously don’t comprehend the difference between subtlety and beating you over the head with a message which has been my point altogether.
Truly I don't. Perhaps we should destroy an entire planet for the fun of it and enrage its inhabitants to the point they attack us so we learn our lesson like the Ultra Garrison had to in Ultraseven?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Soooo anyway....
Remember when Dan Moroboshi integrated the front end of his Jeep into endurance training?
Now that's how you do cruel tutelage, Pai Mei!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Zoffy has a manga-style suit. Looks about how I expected.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just watched the debut cartoon of Ultraman Ribut. Wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be but the human scenes were still off-putting. Sure, it's a cartoon aimed at very young children but can there at least be an explanation for why one of the children looks like he's 60 years old? Also, there's this one scene with a little girl on a bridge that's so stupid I'm pretty sure even the target audience knows it doesn't make sense. The ending scene was cute, though.

As for the kaiju, they were great. There was some good action and some shots actually conveyed a sense of scale better than a lot of other daikaiju media these days. My favorite kaiju has to be Alien Kilat.Hallintar was good as well but I feel like he's a little too similar to Neronga for him to stand out. Overall, pretty okay.

Added in 48 minutes 37 seconds:
And there's the second one. It looks like Ribut 1 is more of an Ultraman-style episode while 2 is more like the rest of the Upin & Ipin series. The story was a bit of a slog but I think the worst part is how they handle the Ultraman-related scenes. In Ribut 1, it's made very clear that most of the episode was a dream and that Ultraman Ribut is fictional but here, the sci-fi elements keep flip-flopping from being part of Upin and Ipin's imagination and real occurences. It's a very messy plothole, indeed.

As for the giant stuff, it also doesn't match up to the first Ribut episode. The concept of a monster stealing people's souls via their shadows has potential (and honestly, kinda sounds like something you'd find in Ace) but in the end, it's not used as well as it could have been. Also, Bayang's a lot less impressive than the episode builds him up to be. He fucntions more like a Heisei Godzilla monster than one from Ultraman, having to overuse ranged weapons due to a lack of mobility, and his second fight is a few hits above a one-sided beatdown.

Overall, I'd recommend watching the first episode and skipping number 2.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

There's a new Ultra Fight. Not much else that's important since the streaming service is probably a Japan-exclusive product.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Sevenger's time to shine has come with a new series based on the Ultra Fight/Redman format, with co-stars such as Jirahs, Eleking, Dancan, Gandar, Revised Hellzking, Pestar, Alien Icarus, Alien Akumania, Pigmon, Garamon, Pandon, Beam Missile King, Gazort, Oni-on, Alien Kettle, Satan Beetle, Alien Boze, Z Beta Smash and Jugglus Juggler.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

This looks like the most hilarious poop ever lol. So watching!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Dancan? Beam Missile King? If only Tsubaraya Imagination was available to people in America.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Gigantis wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:18 am This looks like the most hilarious poop ever lol. So watching!
The original Ultra Fight this is based off of was to make sure the Ultra series was still in the public mind between Ultraseven and Return of Ultraman. And it gave us such classic moments like when Eleking had a fucking machine gun.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Anyone know what this is?
I sure don't recognize it.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:16 pm Anyone know what this is?
I sure don't recognize it.
Hellzking.
https://ultra.fandom.com/wiki/Hellzking#Revised

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This will likely be the decade in which Ultraman finally makes it big in the west.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Did Saban ever try to localize Ultraman? I know he did Kamen Rider and Metal Heroes.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:03 pm Did Saban ever try to localize Ultraman? I know he did Kamen Rider and Metal Heroes.
There was a plan way back to make a show using footage from Ultraman 80, but I don't think it was Saban who came up with the idea.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:03 pm Did Saban ever try to localize Ultraman? I know he did Kamen Rider and Metal Heroes.
According to August Ragone one of many proposed ideas to break into the US was for a Saban-style show where Tsuburaya would make Ultra/kaiju footage in Japan specifically for the US show without an "original" show to pilfer footage from. Didn't pan out.

Of course, DIC did Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad with Gridman and Ultraman Powered was produced in the US for that market but never actually aired here!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The rules regarding Copyright laws dictate that they expire 70 years after the death of the original author of any given work. Assuming no amendments get made to prolong the expiration date (it's happened before), that means Ultraman could go public domain in the year 2040, 70 years after Eiji Tsuburaya's death -- and only 19 years away.

Do you think the character will still be popular enough that some company might produce their own versions of the show?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Apparently, Powered Pigmon was portrayed by a woman. Does that mean Gyaos wasn't the first kaiju to have a female suit actor?
Resized Image
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:08 pm Apparently, Powered Pigmon was portrayed by a woman. Does that mean Gyaos wasn't the first kaiju to have a female suit actor?
Resized Image
👀 That's a hell of a discovery.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.