Akio Jissoji's Ultraman – Favorite Episodes

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.

You have three (3) options

The Pearl Defense Directive (ft. Gamakugira)
No votes
Terrifying Cosmic Rays (ft. Gavadon)
10%
Overthrow the Surface (ft. Telesdon)
10%
My Home Is the Earth (ft. Jamila)
38%
A Gift from the Sky (ft. Skydon)
24%
The Monster Graveyard (ft. Seabozu)
19%

Total votes: 21

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Akio Jissoji's Ultraman – Favorite Episodes

Post by tbeasley »

The late Akio Jissoji directed six wildly creative episodes of the original Ultraman series. Which ones do you like best?

Your choices are...

- The Pearl Defense Directive (ft. Gamakugira)
- Terrifying Cosmic Rays (ft. Gavadon)
- Overthrow the Surface (ft. Telesdon)
- My Home Is the Earth (ft. Jamila)
- A Gift from the Sky (ft. Skydon)
- The Monster Graveyard (ft. Seabozu)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Akio Jissoji's Ultraman – Favorite Episodes

Post by eabaker »

It's hard to argue with "My Home Is Earth," but personally I have a big soft spot for "The Monster Graveyard[" as well.

I'm also a pretty big fan of "A Gift from the Sky," but it doesn't quite reach the same tier as those first two I listed.

The only one of his I'm not a particular fan of is "The Pearl Defense Directive." It's certainly not a bad episode, but I find it a little generic relative to his others (more down to the script than the direction).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Cosmic Rays and My Home is Earth are my favorites. Favorite Jissojis, favorite Ultraman episodes, - heck - they're two of my favorite episodes of television, period.

If I was programming a kaiju film festival those are the two TV episodes I'd insist must be on the program.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Imagine if Akio Jissoji directed a Godzilla film.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Jissoji also has done a few episodes of Tiga & Max.

When it comes to Jissoji's work on Man, "My Home Is The Earth" & "The Monster Graveyard" really strike the sadness chords and makes the viewer ponder a lot. These two episodes really show the bizarre yet enticing style of shots that feels "wonderfully depressing" at times. Those two would have to be my favourite of his from the original show, but "A Gift From the Sky" is so much fun. I adore seeing the SSSP use everything they got before resorting to using.... a dirty method to kill Skydon :lol: :lol: And Ultraman just failing to defeat Skydon the first time is hilarious, and we can't forget the spoon gag with Hayata.

But my all time favourite Jissoji episode thus far would have to be "The Targeted Town" from Ultraseven. His direction really sells the rageful hysteria the Metrons were deploying into humanity.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Overthrow the Surface has some of my favorite shots out of this list.
It would be cool to rework this list to include all of his Ultra -related works though, because his Tiga episode absolutely slaps, as does Ultra Q the Movie
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I've been slowly getting through the original Ultraman series in bursts of episodes, and "My Home Is Earth" was one I finally got to last night. What an incredible episode. Truly blew me away. I kind of sat there staring at the screen for a few moments to absorb it all. I haven't gotten to Monster Graveyard, from what I've heard I suspect I'll love it, but so far "My Home is Earth" is by far my favorite of this batch.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.