Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

Post by shadowgigan »

Seems like Higuchi is really cementing his place in genre history and redeeming himself after Submersion. Could say the same about Anno as well.

Edit: I shouldn’t say cementing, that was already done after Gamera. Maybe the correct word is elevating? He’s now worked on Gamera, Godzilla, and Ultraman.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sat May 14, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:05 pm Seems like Higuchi is really cementing his place in genre history and redeeming himself after Submersion. Could say the same about Anno as well.

Edit: I shouldn’t say cementing, that was already done after Gamera. Maybe the correct word is elevating? He’s now worked on Gamera, Godzilla, and Ultraman.
Shin Godzilla (ugh we can't just refer to Shin Godzilla as Shin anymore) definitely already did that for me. However, Shin Ultraman proved to me that these guys can just pump out gold and that Shin Godzilla wasn't a fluke.

Added in 5 minutes 12 seconds:
Given how well recent anime/Japanese releases have done statewide in limited runs (Shin Godzilla, Dragonball, Demon Slayer) I know that Shin Ultraman would be worth it to give a limited run. While Ultraman might not be as much of a household name, I feel like through Osmosis and recent branding that people stateside are more familiar with the property than ever. Have a theatrical release, and then dump it on a steaming site.

I hate to say this, but just as you'd want to see Shin Godzilla and Godzilla vs. Kong on a big screen, you'll want to see Shin Ultraman on a big screen. The film takes fantastic usage of size.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Here's hoping. I'm incredibly intrigued by what little I've seen and heard so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:52 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 6:05 pm Seems like Higuchi is really cementing his place in genre history and redeeming himself after Submersion. Could say the same about Anno as well.

Shin Godzilla (ugh we can't just refer to Shin Godzilla as Shin anymore) definitely already did that for me. However, Shin Ultraman proved to me that these guys can just pump out gold and that Shin Godzilla wasn't a fluke.
It's interesting to me because we had consistent staff and innovators throughtout the Showa and Heisei period, which was followed by the Millenium period - much more a revolving door approach. It's almost like watching great man theory in real time, where Anno and Higuchi are exerting an influence over the genre we haven't seen since the likes of...Kawakita...for example. Am I taking too much from this?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think Shunsuke Kaneko with the Heisei Gamera Trilogy and GMK are about a good analogy and what comes close enough. Funnily enough Higuchi has ties to those films, so it’s not as if there isn’t some overlap.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 pm I think Shunsuke Kaneko with the Heisei Gamera Trilogy and GMK are about a good analogy and what comes close enough. Funnily enough Higuchi has ties to those films, so it’s not as if there isn’t some overlap.
Completely agreed. It's awesome to see how passionate Higuchi is for the genre - he's been in the game for over twenty years! I hope to meet him someday.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:58 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 pm I think Shunsuke Kaneko with the Heisei Gamera Trilogy and GMK are about a good analogy and what comes close enough. Funnily enough Higuchi has ties to those films, so it’s not as if there isn’t some overlap.
Completely agreed. It's awesome to see how passionate Higuchi is for the genre - he's been in the game for over twenty years! I hope to meet him someday.
Almost 40 years if you count his work in G84.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 10:07 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:58 pm
Almost 40 years if you count his work in G84.
Very true. What a career.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Shin Ultraman is already the highest grossing theatrical Ultraman film.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:19 pm Shin Ultraman is already the highest grossing theatrical Ultraman film.
Awesome!

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 5:19 pm Shin Ultraman is already the highest grossing theatrical Ultraman film.
Also it apparently has outgrossed and outsold Shin Godzilla’s first three days as well from a blurb I came across.
Last edited by Saturndusk on Mon May 16, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Saturndusk wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 10:57 am
Also it apparently has outgrossed and outsold Shin Godzilla’s first three days as well from a blurb I came across.
No way! That's a great sign!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Good news, Blunova on YouTube shared a tweet from Jeff Gomez over at Ultraman Connection saying that regional releases are on the docket and that we should hear something in the coming months.
Knew it!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Nice! Here's hoping.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think I heard that this movie is the highest-grossing Japanese film of all time.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:06 pm I think I heard that this movie is the highest-grossing Japanese film of all time.
Far from. However, it IS the highest-grossing Ultraman movie and among the highest-grossing foreign films of 2022.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Foreign?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 1:38 am Foreign?
From anywhere other than Hollywood.

On another note, Toho will be releasing the first minute of Shin Ultraman on their YouTube channel tomorrow.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Just watched the first minute on Toho’s YouTube page. Yup. Anno trolled HAARRDD
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

goji1986 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:22 pm Just watched the first minute on Toho’s YouTube page. Yup. Anno trolled HAARRDD
MY EYES CAN'T HANDLE IT ITS SO COOL AND GOOD