Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:57 pm Shin got a limited release in part do to iG14 and Godzilla's previous history in the States in addition to previouslimited releases. Without G14 and other limited releases I don't know if we get Shin subbed, likely a limited dubbed release or a full blown American cut.
It was either a subtitled limited (one week) run from a niche company or straight to DVD. It never would have received any sort of dubbed or re-edited theatrical release in 2016. And I don't think its release had *anything* to do with G14; as I said, the fact that Shin Godzilla was a combined enormous critical and commercial success in Japan is the primary factor for its limited theatrical release in the States.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:25 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:57 pm Shin got a limited release in part do to iG14 and Godzilla's previous history in the States in addition to previouslimited releases. Without G14 and other limited releases I don't know if we get Shin subbed, likely a limited dubbed release or a full blown American cut.
It was either a subtitled limited (one week) run from a niche company or straight to DVD. It never would have received any sort of dubbed or re-edited theatrical release in 2016. And I don't think its release had *anything* to do with G14; as I said, the fact that Shin Godzilla was a combined enormous critical and commercial success in Japan is the primary factor for its limited theatrical release in the States.
G14's success and Godzilla's history in general played a factor in Shin coming over. They didn't just pick a good Japanese film and give it a limited release, Shin was picked because there was enough intreast from fans and potential general audiance to release it.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 pm [snip] Godzilla's history in general played a factor in Shin coming over. They didn't just pick a good Japanese film and give it a limited release, Shin was picked because there was enough intreast from fans and potential general audiance to release it.
OK, I'll agree with that. I still don't think G14 had anything to do with that decision -- if it did, it was a very, very, very minor factor.

That said, there was no chance of a dubbed version in theatrical release. We're lucky the film even got a nationwide limited engagement deal instead of a home video debut.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:12 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:02 pm [snip] Godzilla's history in general played a factor in Shin coming over. They didn't just pick a good Japanese film and give it a limited release, Shin was picked because there was enough intreast from fans and potential general audiance to release it.
OK, I'll agree with that. I still don't think G14 had anything to do with that decision -- if it did, it was a very, very, very minor factor.

That said, there was no chance of a dubbed version in theatrical release. We're lucky the film even got a nationwide limited engagement deal instead of a home video debut.
Considering how limited runs are done now if Ultraman does get one over here I can see it be offered subbed and dubbed especially if Funimation gets the film.

If Amazon gets it we'll get a Sub and Dub prime release.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like in general, since 2016, areas of the United States have become more open to foreign language releases. I've heard a lot about various anime films being released and doing well with limited theatrical releases. Additionally, while Ultraman isn't exactly a household name like Godzilla, various efforts by Tsubuaraya have put it more on the map.

Also, wasn't Shin a runaway hit in America, relative to how much advertising was put into it? I recall that the initial theatrical run in NY was a week or two, but got extended. I'd hope they have a small limited theatrical release in America.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:02 pm I feel like in general, since 2016, areas of the United States have become more open to foreign language releases. I've heard a lot about various anime films being released and doing well with limited theatrical releases. Additionally, while Ultraman isn't exactly a household name like Godzilla, various efforts by Tsubuaraya have put it more on the map.

Also, wasn't Shin a runaway hit in America, relative to how much advertising was put into it? I recall that the initial theatrical run in NY was a week or two, but got extended. I'd hope they have a small limited theatrical release in America.
It made 2 million in 4-5 weeks on a limited release with subbed so I feel that was great.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Jeez, I really hope Amazon doesn't get it's grubby Bezos mitts on Shin Ultra. I was pretty miffed they got Thrice Upon a Time cuz I really wanted to see that in theaters.
I wonder if, say, Funimation was trying to release Shin Ultraman theatrically, would Mill Creek's home media deal complicate things?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:29 am Jeez, I really hope Amazon doesn't get it's grubby Bezos mitts on Shin Ultra. I was pretty miffed they got Thrice Upon a Time cuz I really wanted to see that in theaters.
I wonder if, say, Funimation was trying to release Shin Ultraman theatrically, would Mill Creek's home media deal complicate things?
Considering there is a new variant of COVID that could get out of control and the way the theaters are operating I think a sub and dub streaming release is for the best.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

The designer of Neronga and Gabora has been confirmed as Mahiro Maeda. I expected he was behind them but it's still kinda suprising considering how different their concept art looks from his usual work.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:53 pm From September 10th so sorry if this is old news, but I think we might be getting a 2022 release for this -

Tsuburaya Productions Cancels Event, More Details on Shin Ultraman to Be Revealed Soon
Tsuburaya Productions announced yesterday that they had to cancel their upcoming TSUBURAYA CONVENTION 2021 due to COVID-19 concerns. Alongside this, the official Twitter account for the upcoming Shin Ultraman film, from the team behind Shin Godzilla, announced that more information on the film was set to be released during the event but will now be released another way.
Quick reminder that TsubuCon 2021 was uncanceled and is coming in 10 days.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

New release date and DAMN do I like that Specium Ray shot.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shame it couldn't have come out this year, would've added to the ridiculousness of 2021 and the Kaiju genre explosion, but at the same time I understand why it had to be delayed and I only hope it can be big next year. Definitely really excited for this, and you're right: I love the way the beam looks.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

>sees new Shin Ultraman footage
>Sees new Shin Ultraman release date
>Sees Shin Ultraman Shin Specium Ray

At first I was bummed SU wasn't releasing this year. But hey, we got more than enough kaiju/toku media in '21. Now we got some sauce for '22!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Wow…that Specium Ray shot at the end was incredible! I love how classic it looks and how similar it is to Shin’s beam. Can’t wait to see what Anno’s been cookin’ next year!
Last edited by Jermobooka on Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Holy shit that specium shot looks cool. I really hope we get it in theaters in the U.S. at some point. My dad grew up with the original series when he was a kid and introduced it to me, so getting to see a big budget Ultraman movie based on the original series with my dad would be amazing.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

One stylistic thing I liked about Shin Godzilla that Shin Ultraman seems to be doing is "unfiltered" sound design. While obviously Shin has a lot of music, there's a lot of moments where you just hear the destruction or things fall apart in silence. You totally hear it when Ultraman begins to stand in the trailer.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:26 am Wow…that Specium Ray shot at the end was incredible! I love how classic it looks and how similar it is to Shin’s beam. Can’t wait to see what Anno’s been cookin’ next year!
https://twitter.com/shin_ultraman/statu ... 07681?s=20

Apparently they got Sadao Izuka to do all the beam effects by hand. Izuka is responsible for the beam effects for the original Ultra shows as well as much of Toho's effects films.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

goji1986 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:49 am
Jermobooka wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:26 am Wow…that Specium Ray shot at the end was incredible! I love how classic it looks and how similar it is to Shin’s beam. Can’t wait to see what Anno’s been cookin’ next year!

Apparently they got Sadao Izuka to do all the beam effects by hand. Izuka is responsible for the beam effects for the original Ultra shows as well as much of Toho's effects films.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

goji1986 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:49 am

Damn! That's amazing.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anyone got another link to the new footage? Video wouldn't play for me for some reason.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.