Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by Saturndusk »

This collection should be 19.99 tops. If they went in with it at 14.99 I’d say that would make it an instant buy.

Now the question is will they release more Chronicle series and will that depends on sales of this one?
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I think/hope this was the only chronicle recap series that was part of the initial deal between TPC and MC.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

I suspect the Chronicle show was simply part of the orignal package deal for licensing. It was already available on the TOKU streaming service, just like Gridman was.
If we go by the assumption that everything on TOKU will have a physical release, what remains of this package is Ultraman Neos, Cosmos, Nexus, Max, Mebius, Ultraseven X and Mirrorman.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

KaijusHunter wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:33 am I suspect the Chronicle show was simply part of the orignal package deal for licensing. It was already available on the TOKU streaming service, just like Gridman was.
If we go by the assumption that everything on TOKU will have a physical release, what remains of this package is Ultraman Neos, Cosmos, Nexus, Max, Mebius, Ultraseven X and Mirrorman.
Yes on most of those. As I understand it, Mirrorman is not part of the current deal. (Gridman was the only non-Ultra show, MC picked it up because they already had SSSS) There is also Ultraman Zearth, Ultraman The Next, an Ultraman Kids animated series. Also most of the accompanying OVA and Films with the series you mentioned will be included as well.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

o.supreme wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:54 pm(Gridman was the only non-Ultra show, MC picked it up because they already had SSSS)
Funimation released SSSS, though Mill Creek's licensing of the original show was undeniably to cash in on the success of the anime.

Anyways, I'll probably be passing on the Zero Chronicle set, unless it goes down to like, five bucks. It'd be kind of nice to own Zero Fight for completist's sake, but I doubt I'll ever revisit it anyways.

And I still haven't picked up any of the DVD sets. 80 looks especially disappointing, almost as if they directly ripped the episodes from Crunchyroll, compression and all. If and when the show finally sees a Blu-Ray release in Japan and a certain bootleg provider opts to put English subs over that, I'll be first to spring.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:04 pm
o.supreme wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:54 pm(Gridman was the only non-Ultra show, MC picked it up because they already had SSSS)
Funimation released SSSS,
I think you are getting the live action & Anime confused.

Below is the original SSSS released on 2 DVD volumes by MC. Cookie Jar and Media DHX were sub-lables, but if you look at the spines, they are clearly MC

ImageImage

I am aware that Funimation released the SSSS Gridman anime, but that wasn't what I was talking about. I was talking about just the original SSSS (which was the Americanization of the original live-action Gridman).
Last edited by o.supreme on Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

The SSSS 90s live-action series was produced /Americanized by Dic Entertainment, who was eventually bought out by Cookie Jar Entertainment, who in turn was acquired by DHX Media (now WildBrain). Hence their names on the DVDs.
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't lie.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Just received notification from Amazon that Gaia should arrive 12/9.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

^Awesome, that is good to know. I still haven't received any update from Amazon yet, but it usually takes a few hours longer to get my notifications for some reason. But good to know it's not delayed. I'm only on the 2nd DVD of Dyna, so I'll have plenty to keep me occupied for a while.

edit

Just got my notification that Gaia will be arriving on time from Amazon next Tuesday 12/7 8-)
Last edited by o.supreme on Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Saturndusk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:55 pm Just received notification from Amazon that Gaia should arrive 12/9.
Dope.

Now I'm just hoping the 2 Godzilla art books scheduled for release next week hold!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Angilasman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:47 pm
Saturndusk wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:55 pm Just received notification from Amazon that Gaia should arrive 12/9.
Dope.

Now I'm just hoping the 2 Godzilla art books scheduled for release next week hold!
What is the second book that's due out next week?

I got notification from Amazon that my copy of Gaia will be here on Tuesday as well. Not sure when I'll start it though, I still have to finish Tiga and still have to pick up Dyna. I'll probably pick up Dyna this week since I can get it for a few bucks with Amazon money.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

gvamp wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:41 pm
What is the second book that's due out next week?
The Yuji Kaida book plus the American release of History Formative Arts 1954-2016.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

Gaia arrived today woohoo

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Is it only me or The Ultraman DVDs are heavily, and I mean HEAVILY, subject to aliasing? Each drawing line looks like a staircase to me....
It's really awful, and nobody seems to complain about this.
Same goes for Zeno's Hanuman vs 7 Ultraman, by the way, and I watched those two back to back (not the same DVD zone, so that's not the issue, and I have a lot of Z1 DVDs) so I was starting to think my setup was falling apart.
But I threw in a 15 years old DVD of Tex Avery's cartoons just to see the difference. And the Tex Avery (Warner, Z2) is still wonderful. I just don't get it.
Last edited by Lecontinentperdu on Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, and the only one on earth watching The Ultraman Mill Creek DVD set.

This release doesn't seem to exist anywhere online (saving the sites that sell it, all with barebone c/p infos).
Critics, reviewers, customers: nobody said anything about it since it came out. At least, nobody that I can find.
When it was announced, a lot of people were complaining about the format.
Where are they today, now that we can judge the final product by ourselves?

And as far as thing goes for me (3 episodes in), the final product is very, very, very subpar.
The show itself seems OK, it's basically Ultraman and Ultraseven formulas with not so inspired storylines, basic characters and rather good animation and direction. Too bad that the animation is destroyed by compression artifacts...

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I talked about it quite a bit when it first came out, also there were several Youtube reviews also, around the time of its release. Now granted, I don't have a super-fancy set up, but on an LED 40 inch TV that is about a decade old, played on both a Sony Blu Ray player and a PS4 the presentation of The Ultraman looks fine, not any better/worse than any other DVD I watch at any given time.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

Lecontinentperdu wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:50 am I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone, and the only one on earth watching The Ultraman Mill Creek DVD set.

This release doesn't seem to exist anywhere online (saving the sites that sell it, all with barebone c/p infos).
Critics, reviewers, customers: nobody said anything about it since it came out. At least, nobody that I can find.
When it was announced, a lot of people were complaining about the format.
Where are they today, now that we can judge the final product by ourselves?

And as far as thing goes for me (3 episodes in), the final product is very, very, very subpar.
The show itself seems OK, it's basically Ultraman and Ultraseven formulas with not so inspired storylines, basic characters and rather good animation and direction. Too bad that the animation is destroyed by compression artifacts...
I watched the entire series with the DVD set a month and a half ago. It's probably the most 5/10 Ultra show I've seen. There are some highlights, but overall I found it quite by-the-number. I did really enjoy the episodes with world building from U40 or anything that didn't take place on Earth, but too many episodes are just okay, if not on the boring side.
The infamous left-aligned, almost machine-translated subtitles filled with typos didn't help my enjoyment of the show. It's the bare minimum of ''good enough'' subtitles, and that is probably one of the main reasons why almost nobody online is giving this release attention.
I'll probbaly never watch this show again, unlike the other Showa-era entries which have way more substance and rewatchability value to them.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

I'm afraid that you might be right on the long term. Four episodes in, I'm still curious. But the video quality doesn't bother you ?

Added in 25 minutes 34 seconds:
The ultraman Mill Creek https://imgur.com/gallery/ayA9qjj

Added in 3 minutes 36 seconds:
The ultraman Mill Creek zoom in https://imgur.com/gallery/4t9epaK

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I watched the first couple of episodes of The Ultraman a few months ago and noted the image issues - I just put it away temporarily because I was excited to watched the TDG shows!

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Thank you I was really wondering if my set was dysfonctionnal (it might have been for the best, because now we are stuck with those !)