Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by Saturndusk »

There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I just wanted to have a bit of fun speculating what will come in 2022. I have no inside knowledge of MC plan, other than knowing basically what series/movies they have currently agreed to with TPC, and a *rough" idea of what quality prints are available, so this is basically just a wish list/best scenario/what if for me:

January 2022- I'm leaving this month open for MC either to plan out their upcoming release, or to account for a possible delay in Gaia getting released.

February 2022- Ultraman Zearth Movie set BRD (Movies 1 & 2 together), also Ultraman Neos (2 disc DVD 12 episodes)

March 2022 Ultraman Cosmos (3 film BRD set), and a separate TV Series set (DVD 7 discs 65 episodes)

April 2022 Ultraman Next (BRD Film), and Ultraman Nexus TV Series (DVD 39 episodes on 6 discs)

May 2022 Ultraman Max TV Series (DVD 39 episodes on 6 discs)

June 2022 *leaving open for planning or release delays*

July 2022 a 3rd DeepDiscount exclusive of some kind with additional Ultraman episodes released with the English dub on BRD

August 2022 Ultraman Kids: 30 Million Light Years Looking for Mama TV Series on DVD

September 2022 Ultraman Mebius (50 episodes +3 OVA on 7 disc DVD set)

October 2022 Ultraman Mebius (2 movies on BRD)

November 2022 Ultraseven X (12 episodes on 2 DVD)

and I believe that would complete the list of available series and movies that MC currently has license to. Hopefully by then we will know if they renegotiate to get some of the older films and series not previously available, as well as anything from Taiga-Current.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ That'd be great! There's a lot to look forward to, and hopefully they go after some other shows/movies/specials after exhausting the current license. Other Ultra stuff, sure, but other Tsuburaya productions would be cool, too!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I honestly don't think we'll get the movies for Cosmos on BD considering Mill Creek is releasing the Tiga/Dyna and the Tiga/Dyna/Gaia films on DVD with those sets.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

They could eventually release a box set of the Heisei-era films on Blu-ray. Limiting those to DVD is pretty ridiculous; there's no good reason why the theatrically-released films shouldn't be on Blu-ray.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I honestly wouldn't mind the Tiga upscaled BDs. I recently watched a YouTube video that Tsuburaya put out on the Tiga BD set and I couldn't tell it was an upscale. So hopefully down the line Mill Creek releases those.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I hope we eventually get BRD from MC of Tiga and other shows as well. I have been seeing inexpensive bootleg BRD sets of Tiga in some places. I was initially tempted, but will ultimately pass. I don't know if they are true BRD or just SD on BRD, also I don't know the source/quality of the English subs. Basically when I get MC DVD set I am paying $20+ tax for just the OVA as I already have the Funimaton Tiga DVDs from 2004, and I don't think there will be any difference between those and MC, other than Mill Creek will have an alternate opening theme.
Last edited by o.supreme on Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Even though its an upscale I did notice quite the visual improvement on the Tiga BD from the YouTube video Tsuburaya posted. It just looked cleaner and less fuzzy.

PC Specs

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Apparently, Mill Creek could not acquire the rights to Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey allegedly due to its use of "Take Me Higher" during the end credits (Now why they can't just replace the song like they appear to be doing for the upcoming DVD set is anyone's guess), but it would still be nice to have Tiga & Dyna and Battle in Hyperspace on Blu, perhaps as a double feature like this.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm Apparently, Mill Creek could not acquire the rights to Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey allegedly due to its use of "Take Me Higher" during the end credits (Now why they can't just replace the song like they appear to be doing for the upcoming DVD set is anyone's guess), but it would still be nice to have Tiga & Dyna and Battle in Hyperspace on Blu, perhaps as a double feature like this.
Did getting the rights to "Take me Higher" come at a separate price?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:28 pm(Now why they can't just replace the song like they appear to be doing for the upcoming DVD set is anyone's guess)
Disappointing if true, but not surprising.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

You can see preview clips on MC website now for Tiga and Dyna. Pretty much confirms they replaced the opening song. I wonder though, because an orchestral version of "Take me Hight" occurs all throughout the series. They can't have scrubbed all that could they?

Also in an out of order way, the price for the Gaia pre order on Amazon has dropped to $19.99, but Dyna still has not.

Lastly, although the release date has been October 19 for a while for Tiga, I just got an official update saying it should be delivered that day. We shall see.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Glad I opted to hold on to my Funimation Tiga DVDs (Including the elusive third volume). I'll still get the Mill Creek set eventually, but only to complete the little mural with Dyna and Gaia, and also because my Funimation DVDs are a bit scratched (the third volume was an ex-rental, so it's seen some wear).
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Got my shipping confirmation early this Morning, the MC Tiga DVD will arrive on time tomorrow 8-) . However I am very familiar with this series, having actually owned Bootleg VHS of the first half of the series since late 1996, then watching the dub on Fox in 2001 (again roughly the first 1/2 of the series), then finally getting the Funimation DVD's in 2003/2004. I've seen the OVA a couple of times, but never subbed, and it has been a LONG time, so that will be nice. But I probably wort rewatch the whole series, maybe a few episodes just to compare quality and subs to the old Funimaiton DVD's.

But I am curious, has DVD "quality" improved? I mean if a film itself has been remastered, I can see how one DVD release from another may look better. But I assume the materials TPC gave MC would be the same that they gave Funimation nearly two decades ago. Also while Funimation discs had 6/7 episodes each, the MC ones will have 8/9, so if anything I would think the MC ones would perhaps be able to to look "as good" since hopefully their compression is better, but I don't think they would look "better" than the Funimaiton ones? I guess we will see.

I was shocked at how fast I was able to blaze through 80 and I'm almost done with The Ultraman (one disc left), I thought I'd have plenty to keep me going for another month until Dyna's release, but nope, I'll be done with both by this weekend. Oh well between select Tiga episodes, and other items I'm purchasing, I'm sure I'll have more than enough to keep my free time occupied until Dyna next month. Dyna & Gaia will be mostly new to me. I've only seen a couple random episodes and the films associated with each.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I just popped in Disc 4 of Ultraman 80 last night. I really haven't had time to watch it work has been keeping me super busy that and I've been gaming pretty hardcore the past month so I really haven't had time to watch. Now I'm pretty burnt out on gaming so I'm going to try and power through Ultraman 80 the rest of this week and the weekend. I don't have much time during the week now as I work four 10 hour days but get a three day weekend so that's when I'll get caught up.

Looking forward to revisiting Tiga again as I haven't watched it since the DVDs came out from Funimation. and when I get Dyna and Gaia those will be very new to me as the only thing I've seen for them are the two movies that they're in.

PC Specs

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I'm hoping that by the end of 2022 we'll have all the Ultra series that Mill Creek owns out. Perhaps Tsuburaya will license newer stuff too to them so we can get that out as well. I also wouldn't mind BD versions of 80 and The Ultraman even though I don't really care for The Ultraman. The upscaled BDs of Tiga, Dyna and Gaia would be nice to but the only one that really makes a difference is Tiga.

PC Specs

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

There are several non-Ultraman shows from Tsuburaya Productions, mainly from the 1960's and 1970's, that I hope will become available through this partnership once their Ultraman titles have all been released. Fortunately, TsuPro seems very open about licensing their properties and attracting new people.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I want Operation Mystery!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

KaijusHunter wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:07 pm There are several non-Ultraman shows from Tsuburaya Productions, mainly from the 1960's and 1970's, that I hope will become available through this partnership once their Ultraman titles have all been released. Fortunately, TsuPro seems very open about licensing their properties and attracting new people.
Do you think they will eventually release Mighty Jack?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

One more vote for Operation Mystery here and an additional vote for Horror Theater: Unbalance, please.

Mighty Jack would be awesome too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.