The Hunter's Moon

A place to play and organize role playing games on the forums with others. "Mafia" games welcome.
HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: Jaktarensmane - The Hunter's Moon

Post by HayesAJones »

Reddish, beastly eyes gazed into Rorn's back. "Who is Grimmurgh? Is that the beast we faced?"

Ragnhild glanced at canine footprints. Each was over eight time the size of her own impressive paws.

"It was bigger than even the largest of the garmar," the wolf-headed woman grunted, concern lacing her scratchy voice. "Much bigger."

---

All was darkness.

Brown eyes, small like a child's, yet filled with wit and wisdom, opened, but the darkness did not retreat. No, perhaps it even deepened?

"Hello?" a male voice, deep and rich, asked. It was uncertain, but not timid or frightened. It was curious, even.

"Is someone there?" the voice asked again. He was certain he shared the darkness with something, a presence that did not need eyes or nose or touch to feel. It was something felt deeper, something that touched his very heart, raked his soul itself.

"Hunt," came his answer, echoing not in his ear, but his whole body.

Though there was no sun, no moon, to illuminate it, snow began falling, swirling all around him like a blizzard. No, it was not snow. He felt no wind. He felt no cold. These were not snowflakes; they could not be. No, they were...

Well, he did not know.

Stars? But not the stars he knew. His stars were made of metal and anchored in the heavens. These were free-floating balls of light.

"You must hunt," he was commanded again by the phantom voice.

A spectral beast, bathed in crimson red light, larger than any risi, appeared before him. Its bloody glow made him realize he had no form. He was only a consciousness, with no body to illuminate. It pointed at him, kicking up a cold, fateful wind that enwrapped his very being. Whether due to the realization that he was incorporeal or the strange wind, he felt weightless, a leaf about to be carried away on a breeze.

"You must hunt... alone."

---

A humanoid figure, small and covered with a scarlet cloak, plummeted into the deep snow of Jaktomrader...
Last edited by HayesAJones on Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

Post by Corzak The Mighty »

Having lost track of the creature's footsteps, the bugbear continued his journey through the snow. He still kept his axe at the ready; even though he could not sense it anymore, that did not mean that his foe was no longer stalking him. He lost many comrades to clever beasts back in his home world. He would not be one of the ones to fall.
The great white dragon kicked off from his roost atop the snow-capped mountain. A flurry of powdered snow was scattered from the massive creature's unfurled wings, as a frosty wind followed in the beast's wake. The creature's onyx eyes scanned the frozen earth below, watching as the massive trees swayed from his passage overhead.

The giant could see all kinds of creatures below; some small, like a pack of wolves, and other quite large, like the strange antlered humanoids below. It was curious to see such a wide variety of life in a world so barren and harsh; whatever this place was, it was truly impressive in its scale and majesty. Off in the distance, the icy dragon could see three massive figures: one some sort of living statue, one a great serpent, and one that reminded him of his adoptive sibling back home.

Curious, the white wyrm flew in closer to investigate...
Last edited by Corzak The Mighty on Fri May 08, 2020 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MDK wrote:I wish my movies about dinosaurs brought back to life with mosquitos in amber for a theme park were realistic.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=29237 The Crimson Shadow redux sign-up and discussion thread
Clash of Gods (Shin Gojira vs Legendary Godzilla story, completed)

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Hissing in defense, Jormungandr quickly stood her ground. The white wyvern flew in closer, eventually almost stopping right above her own head. Rising to her full height, she was ready for action, but cautiously this time. Running head first into battle, simply was not a good tactic. Besides, she wasn't even sure if this creature really even wanted to attack them.

Her companions stood beside her, with a similar cautious look on their faces. Perhaps if this creature was nice, they could add one more to the group? Nothing wrong with strength in numbers.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Ramia's eyes widened as she took note of the footprints. Sure enough, they were huge and imposing. Yet, to show cowardice or fear would only be to invite in danger.

"No matter how large it is, we must confront it eventually."

"Why? Why fight it? Can't we just, like, run faster than it?"

Ramia turned to look at Menai. The girl clearly had no clue as to how wild creatures worked, especially those such as wolves.

"Even if we could, this thing would simply track us down until we had to rest. Wolves and their like are endurance hunters, chasing their prey for hours until they collapse from exhaustion, and if this thing is like them... No amount of running will do the trick, nor will trying to evade it."
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Gigarma maintained his defensive stance as he watched the dragon. While not serpentine, this being was a white wyrm just like his old nemesis. It's aura was totally knew to the Stone Giant, making it impossible for him to read. For all that though, it had not attacked them. Meaning it was not a threat or a dishonourable enemy.

Well... there's only one way to find out.

Gigarma lowered his blade. Not completely but enough to open his guard and show that if the creature didn't wish battle, then there wouldn't be one.
Last edited by Monster X on Fri May 08, 2020 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

While both of her comrades braced themselves for a possible attack, Tyberius remained calm. Despite this flying creature clearly being a dragon, the bear perceived no threat in him. Only curiosity. The razor-backed Beast snuffed the air, picking up the scent of the icy creature.

---

"'The Black Ghost of the Woods,' indeed. He is a clever one. He learns. Adapts. Once he chooses his target, he will learn all he can from them... Stalking them from afar... Until he knows how to overtake them. And then he will strike," Rorn explained. "Not that we have a bad relationship with him," he continued. "He seems to respect our skills as hunters. He never preys upon us. But you, the Huntmaster's prey... Grimmurgh likes going after you. You should watch your back."

He then glanced to the other girls.

"No amount of running will save you from that Worg. Try to hide, and he will find you, eventually. He is patient, that one."

---

As the bugbear pressed forward, he found himself stumbling onto the path of the traveling Olgfolk, which Vulfrad journeyed with. The largest Olgfolk of the group stepped before Balar, lantern dimly illuminating the rest of his herd that slowly followed after their leader like antlered ghosts in the blizzard.

Briefly drawing his lantern to cast its warm glow upon the bugbear's face so that he and his herd could take a better look at him, the particularly burly Olgfolk continued to bring his lantern forward, directing it over Balar. In the dim radiance of the light, a massive mammal with long, vicious canines was revealed, the furry beast in the process of slowly and quietly retreating when it was exposed.

"Hey, you," the large Olgfolk called out. "Get out of here."

Whether it was because its ambush was ruined, because it would have to face numerous Olgfolk in a battle it could not win, or because the chieftain's words held that much authority, the sabercat did listen. It snarled, eyes gleaming in the light of the lantern, before turning around and running away into the obscurity of the snowy night.

The lantern was then leveled to Balar again.

"Are you alright, traveler?"
Last edited by Beast Blood on Mon May 11, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

Ragnhild stopped, halting her crimson-heeled steed with her knees. Ramia and Menai, being behind her, were forced to stop as well.

"Then we should attack first," the beast-woman growled, folding her hooked claws into a hairy fist. "Before he has time to study us. I am already entertainment. I will not be prey."

---

A flicker of red interrupted the endless white of a snowstorm raging through the untamed wilds of Jaktomrader. Staggering up, the small, hominid figure in the scarlet cloak struggled from a many-foot deep bank of snow, his light, broad frame helping him tread more easily on the powdery ice. Quick as he could, he scuttled from the snow, finding his footing on a slightly more solid ridge of earth. Wrapping his cloak around himself, he inspected his surroundings.

"Ragnhild?" his surprisingly deep voice echoed, though it did not sound especially hopeful. "Are you here?"

Earthy eyes flickered up, and his tongue clicked.

"Stars are all wrong," he muttered, low and to himself, "and the snow, it's not the time of year for this sort of fall."

The stranger, tiny and alone, gazed about and asked, even knowing there was no one to answer him, "Where am I?"

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

"I am now," the bugbear replied, looking up to the enormous Olgsfolk before him. Just what in the hell was this thing? It was like some sort of giant... was it one of the kami in the legends of Maritus? No, no; it did not fit any of their descriptions at all.

His eyes fell on the form of Vulfrad, who seemed to instinctively clutch his axe tighter in response. The bugbear looked up to the entities. "Thanks. But who exactly are you guys?"

Vulfrad, meanwhile, kept his axe prepared. He was immediately suspicious of the bugbear; in his world, goblins were terrible oppressors. They had waged a destructive war that nearly unleashed a dragon god of unimaginable power. While he doubted this being was of similar stock, he was still distrusting of the goblin on principle...
Descending from a cloud of thick white fog, the pearl-colored dragon landed roughly half a mile away from the assembly of beings. A great serpent, much like his ally Maelstrom back home... a living statue, something usually not seen outside of myth and legend.... and an ursine beast akin to his adoptive sibling. What a strange assembly before him. The dragon stepped forth, his icy talons stepping cautiously along the snow-covered earth. With a flap of his wings, the dragon dispelled the fog his flight had generated, before the beast gnashed its fangs and began to speak.

"Who are you.... and where am I?" the dragon rumbled, its voice like the glacial movements of an iceberg.
MDK wrote:I wish my movies about dinosaurs brought back to life with mosquitos in amber for a theme park were realistic.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=29237 The Crimson Shadow redux sign-up and discussion thread

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

Menai shook her head. "But wait, we can't just attack an elephant sized wolf! That's suicide!"

"Not if we lure it into a trap and ambush it." Ramia replied. "Rorn, is there any place nearby that we can set up for camp that would also be useful to stage an ambush? It's our best way to put this beast down and minimize what it can do in return."

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jormungandr was quite shocked to see that this dragon could talk as if it was a human being, yet also not quite sure of what to do since she, nor her allies, had any way of making a clear response. Tail movements from here would just look silly, and if she ended up spewing the wrong message, she might end up starting another incident.

She turned to Gigarma. The stone statue knows how to make signs in the snow and dirt, and it worked with her. Maybe it can do the same for this dragon?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Here we go again, was the approximation of Gigarma's thoughts while he sheathed his blade. Once again he was going to have to try and communicate. As he had done with Jormungandr, the Stone Giant walked towards the Dragon and stopped at a respectable distance. He bowed in greeting, then proceeded to make the simple drawings in the ground as he had done befor. Once he had finished he stepped back and allowed the newcomer to see his work.

Gigarma also pointed to himself and Jormungandr, then did his best to sign that they could not speak.
Last edited by Monster X on Thu May 21, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Rorn looked back to Raghnild and the girls over his shoulder, smirking.

"You are still within his earshot."

---

"We are Olgfolk. Hirstaang Tribe. I will explain your predicament, but first we should get to safety. Follow us to our lodge if you will," the burly giant answered.

---

Noting her friends' difficulties in attempting to interact with the dragon, Tyberius decided to step in.

"This is Jaktomrader, Realm of the Hunt," she grumbled in return, her own voice like rumbling earthquake. "And I am Tyberius, Bear of the Earth," she said with a small incline of her head.

The bear spoke no further, awaiting the dragon's response.

---

In the trees looming over the tiny new prey, massive, ominous birds watched on with interest. Most thought this new morsel was not going to last long in the Realm of the Hunt, yet there were some who thought there was more to the reason Hraaldstag had brought this diminutive creature here. Perhaps he was more resourceful than he looked. He would either be food or be one of those who would face the Lord of the Hunt himself.

Feathered shadows, the frightening birds followed his every movement with burning eyes.

They would wait and see.
Last edited by Beast Blood on Thu May 28, 2020 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Post by HayesAJones »

"Then he should listen well," Ragnhild growled, gripping the shaft of her axe and lifting it from its holster on her steed's saddle. She held the six-foot weapon high, as if calling for the great warg's attention. Her voice, too, rose, growing as loud as its hushed, timbre tones would let it.

"I am not a trophy. I have met trophy hunters. Some hunt no longer. If this Grimmurgh comes, he will be dealt with the same way."

---

The creaking and crowing of the birds, their perches straining beneath them, drew the tiny person's eyes. His head tilted curiously.

"Vulture-eagles?" he asked himself, voice smooth and sing-song. "Well, maybe not. Never actually seen one close, now that I think about it. Maybe I don't want to. I bet I'd be a tasty scrap to them."

A smile lit up his small, creased face. "But they do give me an idea."

Finding a tree opposite to his feathered observers, the tiny humanoid rubbed his hands together and began climbing up, drawing a knife from his belt and occasionally using it to get a grip better than his long fingers could; this wasn't often, however, as his hands were nimble and strong.

Once he reached a suitably high perch, the dwarf waved to the birds, shouting, "Thanks, boys!" and searched the horizon, looking for anything familiar, anything of interest. Finding a home or city would be ideal. If anyone could help him, it would be locals.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jormungandr's eyes widened in absolute shock. Tyberius could speak the Human language as well!? How many times is this bear going to surprise her!?

Still with shock at the situation she had gotten herself into, she could only watch as the massive ice dragon's eyes seemed to settle on the three of them. She just wanted to get out of this mess, she really did..

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

The bugbear looked over the big moose-like beings, before shrugging. It didn't seem like he had much of a choice here; either he went with them and risked death, or he stayed out here in the cold with limited food and definitely died. The bugbear shot Vulfrad an arrogant smirk, before nodding.

"Alright, big guy. I'll take you up on your offer." the bugbear moved up to the Olgsfolk's side. "Just make sure that guy there keeps out of arm's reach. He doesn't seem to take kindly to my kind."

Vulfrad merely growled in response, before putting his axe away. He did not trust this goblin, but the Olgsfolk seemed to willing to put up with its presence. He would tolerate the bugbear for now.

The two noted the circling birds high above their heads. Clearly there was more to this place than merely ice and fearsome monsters....
The creature seemed amused at the statue and the serpent's difficulties communicating. He had forgotten that many creatures lacked the capacity for human speech; he would need to note this down in the future, as it could make planning with these beings difficult.

His ebony eyes scanned about and fell upon the ursine that introduced herself.

"Curious," the rime-covered dragon spoke. "In my world, a being similar to you was like a sibling to me. It seems history repeats itself."

the dragon offered a slight bow of his head in response. "I am Kori Kahn, Lord of the North and one of the Guardian Monsters of my world."

He returned to his normal posture before continuing. "And what is the nature of this.... 'realm of the hunt'?"
Last edited by Corzak The Mighty on Sat May 30, 2020 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

"So, we can still be heard..." Menai grumbled. "So we can't even make a trap or anything without it knowing."

"Ragnhild is correct. We don't have any other choice even if it knows. In any case, our best bet is to press on until we find a proper place, even if it knows..." Ramia's lance materialized in her free hand, the weapon surged with electricity. "And if it strikes before we find a proper place... then that is where its tomb will be."

Beast Blood
G-Force Personnel

Post by Beast Blood »

Rorn chuckled.

"Your attitude is exactly why the Lord of the Hunt has chosen you, friend Ragnhild."

---

"You are here to be tested," Tyberius explained. "Hraaldstag, the Lord of the Hunt, has chosen you, as well as others, to face him."

The bear snorted.

"Not me. I care for the realm, not for the Hunt."

---

The ravenous fliers observed the diminutive creature from afar, but one from a different tree landed just next to him with a resounding thump of taloned feet on wood.

Then a second one.

And a third.

Whatever the small being was trying to locate, he had to find it fast.

HayesAJones
Keizer

Re: The Hunter's Moon

Post by HayesAJones »

The beast-woman scoffed. "He'll hear the same when I face him. I am not his prize either. Man, beast, or god, none own me."

Reddish eyes looked over the pale landscape, raking its groves and ridges and snowbanks, seeing all the places they could be ambushed from. It was not a short search.

"You know the land. Where is the most suitable place to battle this Grimmurgh?" Ragnhild asked their guides. "We should make camp there and wait for him. We are vulnerable while traveling."

---

A six-foot spear twirled from the small lookie-loo's waist, guided by long, bony, nimble fingers.

"Hey, now," the small humanoid said, motioning it at the birds. "I'm not planning to eat you fellas, so why not return the favor, huh?"

Though he kept a sharp ear out for movements from the winged watcher, his eyes searched the horizon, looking for any landmark or structures he could shelter at. If Ragnhild was here as well, she would be looking for him. And she would expect him to be someplace where he would be easy to find.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

While waiting for the talk between her friend and this still kind of stranger to be sorted out, Jormungandr decided to slither around a bit to make sure there wasn't any other troubles around. She wasn't sure if Tyberius and Kahn noticed her leave, though Gigarma certainly did. He signaled him, saying she wouldn't be gone for very long, and then she headed out.

Besides all these wolf creatures, which either ran away or were gobbled up by her, there wasn't really anyone, which honestly, she figured. Still, she knew that there was some kind of sinister force still sleeping about here, readying itself to be awakened once more. Similar to Tyberius in a way, yet at the same time, quite different.

She then turned back to the wolves. For some reason, they were beginning to remind her of someone she knew. Some other wolf, though it was much more around her size. They only met once, then never again. She wondered if she ever got out of this realm, they would meet again...

Corzak The Mighty
EDF Instructor

Eyes briefly glancing towards Jormungandr, Kori turned his attention back fully to Tyberius and listened to the ursine giant's words.

"So I am here to be another being's plaything..." Kori replied, wings and ears drooping in dejection. "Very well. I guess this is what fate has decided to give to me.

His expression hardened, as his resolve seemed to return to him. "Where do we meet this Hraaldstag?"