Respect Godzilla (IDW Trilogy)

Discuss and analyze various feats!
GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Respect Godzilla (IDW Trilogy)

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

IDW’s initial run of Godzilla comics brought to life varying interpretations of the character, however, three of those comic series did share a continuity. Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters, Godzilla: Ongoing, and Godzilla: Rulers of Earth form a trilogy, with the three sharing certain characters such as Steven Woods and Minette & Mallorie. Yes, Godzilla’s appearance does drastically change between the three, such as looking like Heisei in Ongoing and then like Kiryu Saga in ROE, however this does not mean that it is not the same Godzilla. It is simply a matter of out-of-universe issues than in-universe, so, for this respect thread I will be using feats from all three and treating them as the same Godzilla. If you disagree with this for whatever reason, all three comic series have wildly different art styles, so telling them apart is not an issue. With that out of the way, let us go over the beast that is the IDW Trilogy’s Godzilla.

Strength
Knocks Heisei Mechagodzilla over without seemingly much issue, twice. This Mechagodzilla is not nearly as immobile or easily defeated by melee as the movie version, actually being capable of injuring Godzilla with its own strikes.

Uses one of Keizer Ghidorah’s jaws to sever another of his necks.

Catches Titanosaurus’ punch and breaks his arm.

Grabs Destoroyah by the tail and swings her over his head with ease.

Hurls Zilla with just his mouth.

Lifts Zilla by the neck with one hand.

Tackles Mecha-King Ghidorah to the ground.

Overpowers Gaira and Sanda, the former of which can overpower and lift Varan.

Can swing Anguirus as a weapon with no issue.

Durability

Tanks a nuke and only gets stronger from it.

Can handle being constricted by Manda, who can crush an aircraft carrier.

Withstands getting slammed into a mountain by Biollante and being sprayed with her acid. While he is clearly in pain from the acid it does not actually damage him.

Is able to quickly get back up and continue fighting after being struck with all three of Mecha-King Ghidorah’s beams.

Injured but seemingly not damaged by Hedorah’s acid.

Unaffected by standing in lava.

Able to withstand the firepower of four Showa Mechagodzillas, at one point having missiles fired directly into his mouth, which only knocks him out for a brief moment.

Can handle being hit with Destoroyah’s beam,
which seems to have at least similar power to his own beam, and being chokeslammed into the dirt.

Survived being blasted repeatedly by Keizer Ghidorah, who’s beams were able to overpower his own.

Was dropped from miles in the sky, then had Keizer Ghidorah drop onto him from the same height, only coughed up some blood.

Survived, but was knocked out, by his beam clash with Battra.

Survives a beam clash between himself, SpaceGodzilla, and Monster X which is stated to have leveled New York City.

Survives the Absolute Zero Cannon from Kiryu, which later one-shot Destoroyah and the Baragon-Trilopod. Potentially an outlier, or just an inconsistency regarding the latter point and the AZC that struck Godzilla not being nearly as potent as the one which struck Destoroyah and Trilopod-Baragon.

Was not killed by three nukes and an undersea canyon collapsing on him.

Speed

Reacts to Gigan’s razor discs and uses them to sever his restraints.

Able to catch Rodan mid-flight

Reacts in time to strike Megaguirus with a Nuclear Pulse.

Atomic Ray

Destroys Mt. Rushmore.

Defeats Kiryu in one shot.

Blasts open a volcano enough to let lava rush out.

Destroys SpaceGodzilla’s shoulder crystal and spines.

Blasts clean through Hedorah’s head.

Contributed to the previously described beam clashes.

Lets him fly.

Blasts a Trilopod’s head off.

Godzilla was trapped in a field of “black hole energy”, which he was able to blast his way out of.

Nuclear Pulse

Craters the ground around him.

Incinerates Biollante’s vines.

Shatters a large iceberg.

While Showa Mechagodzilla’s shields can withstand his Atomic Ray, his nuclear pulse disperses their shields.

Causes a colossal explosion in Megaguirus’ hive.

Misc.
Can heal a sizable wound on his chest in a few seconds at most by absorbing more nuclear energy.

Able to fight Manda, Gezora, Titanosaurus, and Destoroyah all at once and hold his own.

No-sells Minette and Mallory’s attempt to control him. They had previously controlled Battra and Rodan.

”Crimson” Godzilla

A form Godzilla attains during the final battle of Rulers of Earth, the specifics of this form are unknown. Comments by Chris Mowry would suggest that this is the result of him being fueled by the life-force of the other kaiju with him, though nothing in the actual book supports this. In fact I have heard that this was the original intent but was shot down by Toho, but I do not know where this comes from. What is clear is that this form is immensely powerful, though at the cost of threatening Godzilla’s own life when used.

Is capable of firing a Red Spiral Ray that injures Magita, who previously ignored the assault of numerous kaiju. Can also catch Magita’s falling claw with his hands, despite it being far larger than even himself. Finally has a colossal nuclear pulse that incinerates Magita.

Conclusion
IDW Godzilla is clearly quite powerful, with the strength to toss around kaiju much larger than him, incredible durability, an Atomic Ray with highly impressive feats, and agility & combat ability to ensure that he can use it all to devastating effect. Whether or not he is more powerful than his live-action fellows… well, that’s for the FMs to decide, is it not? ;)
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Sat May 22, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Respect Godzilla (IDW Trilogy)

Post by Jermobooka »

Ah yes, i remember dumping a huge amount of money for all the issues of the IDW Godzilla trilogy. So damn worth it. Rulers Of Earth has become my favorite comic book series ever (Marvel’s first Darth Vader comic run coming at a close second), so it’s very nice to see some IDW representation in FM’s
Last edited by Jermobooka on Sat May 22, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Injuring Magita might not be much of an accomplishment... didn't Rodan fly straight through Magita at one point during the fight? And ROE Rodan wasn't exactly amazing in his other appearances.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Crimson Godzilla vs Keizer Godzilla when?
For Emperor and Empire!

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 am Injuring Magita might not be much of an accomplishment... didn't Rodan fly straight through Magita at one point during the fight? And ROE Rodan wasn't exactly amazing in his other appearances.
I recall that Rodan’s sonic boom actually severed one of Keizer Ghidorah’s heads.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

TyrantGojira wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:03 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 1:24 am Injuring Magita might not be much of an accomplishment... didn't Rodan fly straight through Magita at one point during the fight? And ROE Rodan wasn't exactly amazing in his other appearances.
I recall that Rodan’s sonic boom actually severed one of Keizer Ghidorah’s heads.
Wow. I haven't read that issue. Well, that would certainly make him a heavy hitter, and might explain the Magita flythrough feat.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

If we are to afford other kaiju the same luxury as Godzilla in assuming that stuff from Kingdom of Monsters and Ongoing applies to ROE, then yes, Rodan can do this.

As well, with flying through Magita, the entry point had just been blasted by Godzilla’s atomic ray, presumably weakening it.

Exiting, well, probably just the same principle of fiction that let the drill missiles in GMK go out of Godzilla’s throat when previously they just broke against his scales. Things are weaker on the inside, even the armored skin, I guess (maybe that has basis in fact, I don’t know).
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Fair enough, I guess. And I want to see Rodan get an ability like that in a movie, though maybe toned down a bit; that's crazy overkill, as-is. :lol:

Also, just to be clear, I'm definitely not knocking ROE Godzilla's capabilities overall. He's a freaking juggernaut most of the time, one of the most powerful incarnations there is.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Someone aught to compile feats for "Hell Walker" Godzilla from Godzilla in Hell and the batshit crazy strong one from Rage Across Time where he solo'd the Greek Pantheon.

Hell, a Dark Horse feat compilation would be nice too. Comic Godzillas are really underrepresented.
Last edited by Breakdown on Wed May 26, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns