LPG nuke survival feats

Discuss and analyze various feats!
Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Re: LPG nuke survival feats

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Godzelda wrote:since G'54 is canon to most of them, I still assume the later incarnations can tank nukes and any other real weapons unless shown otherwise.
G'54 was never shown to tank a nuke either. He was awakened/mutated by radioactive fallout, not sitting on top of one of the bombs when it went off.

And you're ignoring the "unless shown otherwise" part of your own statement. Every single thing that has ever harmed any Godzilla, barring the OD, is less powerful than a nuke. Therefore logic dictates that a nuke would harm him worse.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Godzelda wrote:since G'54 is canon to most of them, I still assume the later incarnations can tank nukes and any other real weapons unless shown otherwise.
G'54 was never shown to tank a nuke either. He was awakened/mutated by radioactive fallout, not sitting on top of one of the bombs when it went off.
Not shown on camera, but film dialogue and Word of God still very strongly imply that he can. And how hypocritical of you to say that he was only awakened/mutated by fallout, when that isn't even implied by dialogue, much less shown; all that was said is that the deep sea cave he was sleeping in was destroyed by H-bomb tests, and the "baptized in the fire of the H-bomb" quote implies that he was within the actual blast radius.

Of course, because nothing was explicitly shown on-screen, it's not a fact that he can or cannot tank nukes, but I'll stick with what was implied by the film and the director rather than what you think, thank you.
Inferno Rodan wrote:And you're ignoring the "unless shown otherwise" part of your own statement. Every single thing that has ever harmed any Godzilla, barring the OD, is less powerful than a nuke. Therefore logic dictates that a nuke would harm him worse.
Uhhh.... are you watching the same Godzilla movies as me? Because I've seen them all, and there are only a few times where he gets hurt by things that are explicitly weaker than nukes. Unless you actually, genuinely think fictional attacks have to cause as much collateral damage as nukes to be as powerful, in which case I guess Superman, the Hulk, Thor, Goku, and countless other characters all can't tank nukes, because they get hurt by punches or energy attacks that don't cause much collateral damage all the time... oh wait, they can.
On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.
-Satoru Iwata (1959-2015)

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Godzelda wrote:Not shown on camera, but film dialogue and Word of God still very strongly imply that he can. And how hypocritical of you to say that he was only awakened/mutated by fallout, when that isn't even implied by dialogue, much less shown; all that was said is that the deep sea cave he was sleeping in was destroyed by H-bomb tests, and the "baptized in the fire of the H-bomb" quote implies that he was within the actual blast radius.
There's the whole thing where, y'know, there were no deep sea nuclear tests anywhere in the vicinity of Japan.
Uhhh.... are you watching the same Godzilla movies as me? Because I've seen them all, and there are only a few times where he gets hurt by things that are explicitly weaker than nukes. Unless you actually, genuinely think fictional attacks have to cause as much collateral damage as nukes to be as powerful, in which case I guess Superman, the Hulk, Thor, Goku, and countless other characters all can't tank nukes, because they get hurt by punches or energy attacks that don't cause much collateral damage all the time... oh wait, they can.
Well you're certainly wrong in saying Goku hasn't tanked attacks that caused more collateral damage than nukes. I have no comment on the others because I have little to no knowledge of them.

But regardless, what on earth makes you think that, say, Spacegodzilla's Corona beam, which penetrated Godzilla's hide on more than one occasion, is more damaging than a nuke on a point-for-point basis? Do note that things like "it's a magical energy beam from a fictional monster" and similar lines of logic are not valid. I want actual evidence for why you think that.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Just want to pop in and say, especially in Goku's case, just because something doesn't have the "show" of a nuke, doesnt mean it doesn't have the force. Also if I were to say get hurt by someone throwing a big punch at me (let's just use this as the "nuke" of this situation) and I take it, albeit a little hurt, but I take it and keep going, that doesn't mean I won't feel lesser punches, that just means that I have the overall pain tolerance or endurance to keep going. I could very well be taken out by several lighter punches as well because at some point they could equal and exceed the big punch and I could not be able to handle it anymore
Resized Image

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Godzelda wrote:Not shown on camera, but film dialogue and Word of God still very strongly imply that he can. And how hypocritical of you to say that he was only awakened/mutated by fallout, when that isn't even implied by dialogue, much less shown; all that was said is that the deep sea cave he was sleeping in was destroyed by H-bomb tests, and the "baptized in the fire of the H-bomb" quote implies that he was within the actual blast radius.
There's the whole thing where, y'know, there were no deep sea nuclear tests anywhere in the vicinity of Japan.
1.) There were no giant atomic dinosaurs, either.
2.) What makes you think it was "in the vicinity of Japan?" All we know is that underwater nuclear tests somewhere disturbed him, and he eventually ended up in the vicinity of Japan.
3.) I seriously hope you're not trying to claim you know better about what happened in the film's universe than the film itself now.
Inferno Rodan wrote:Well you're certainly wrong in saying Goku hasn't tanked attacks that caused more collateral damage than nukes.
...I didn't say that. I don't even understand where you got that idea. I said that he (as well as countless other fictional characters) has tanked attacks that caused more collateral damage than nukes, and has been hurt by attacks that cause next to no collateral damage. Therefore, just because an attack doesn't blow up a whole city doesn't mean it's not as powerful as a nuke.
Inferno Rodan wrote:But regardless, what on earth makes you think that, say, Spacegodzilla's Corona beam, which penetrated Godzilla's hide on more than one occasion, is more damaging than a nuke on a point-for-point basis?
It hurt Godzilla. That's why I think that.
Beef Bigshot wrote:Just want to pop in and say, especially in Goku's case, just because something doesn't have the "show" of a nuke, doesnt mean it doesn't have the force.
Thank you! This guy knows what I'm talking about!
On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.

MM The Destroyer
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MM The Destroyer »

Thanks for that sig quote. Ranks right up there with GXG's old Regeneration = Human Dodging.
I'm Back... for a... Damn it, I lost count!
Godzelda wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:But regardless, what on earth makes you think that, say, Spacegodzilla's Corona beam, which penetrated Godzilla's hide on more than one occasion, is more damaging than a nuke on a point-for-point basis?

TK's #1 most reported, popular, hated, loved, sarcastic kaiju pleb.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Godzelda wrote:1.) There were no giant atomic dinosaurs, either.
2.) What makes you think it was "in the vicinity of Japan?" All we know is that underwater nuclear tests somewhere disturbed him, and he eventually ended up in the vicinity of Japan.
3.) I seriously hope you're not trying to claim you know better about what happened in the film's universe than the film itself now.
1. The monster existing doesn't change known historical events.
2. The fact that Godzilla was a known entity from the lore of the islands around Japan indicates that he lived in the area.
3. Certainly not, but the movie wasn't exactly explicit on the subject anyway.

But y'know what? Let's assume you're right and there was a nuke detonated right next to/on top of the cavern he was sleeping in. That still doesn't mean he was directly exposed to the blast. In deep water, the blast radius is extremely reduced, as is the overall power of the explosion. So it's still not comparable to taking a nuke at the surface. Add onto that the fact that the cavern itself would have shielded him from it further.
But Heisei Godzilla was never hit by a nuke. You have no basis of comparison there.

A nuke can make a crater dozens of feet deep. Hell, a 2000-lb bomb can make a crater 30 feet deep. Even ignoring the width of said craters, I'm fairly certain that's deeper than the Corona beam penetrated the ground. That's what I mean by damage on a point-for-point basis.

MM The Destroyer
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MM The Destroyer »

Guys. Guys, look. Guys.

SpaceGodzilla's beam hit right there.
I'm Back... for a... Damn it, I lost count!
Godzelda wrote:

TK's #1 most reported, popular, hated, loved, sarcastic kaiju pleb.

Gojira tai Mosura
G-Grasper

Post by Gojira tai Mosura »

MM The Destroyer wrote: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/ ... 64x700.jpg

Guys. Guys, look. Guys.

Wait, does this mean that SpaceGodzilla is real?
Gojira Tai Mosura: Clumsiest Toho Kingdom Member Ever.
I disappear for fifteen thousand minutes, come back for two seconds.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Gojira tai Mosura wrote:
MM The Destroyer wrote: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/02/ ... 64x700.jpg

Guys. Guys, look. Guys.

Wait, does this mean that SpaceGodzilla is real?
Yes. Megaguirus is real too, just extinct.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

Inferno Rodan wrote: 1. The monster existing doesn't change known historical events.
The point is: the events of the movie are all fictional. It is not a history documentary. There may not have been nuclear tests near Japan IRL, but that doesn't mean there weren't in the universe of the film.
Inferno Rodan wrote: Let's assume you're right and there was a nuke detonated right next to/on top of the cavern he was sleeping in. That still doesn't mean he was directly exposed to the blast. In deep water, the blast radius is extremely reduced, as is the overall power of the explosion. So it's still not comparable to taking a nuke at the surface. Add onto that the fact that the cavern itself would have shielded him from it further.
Whether or not he did tank a nuke doesn't matter, the idea I got from the dialogue and the themes of the film is that he can. Unless you have some startling new piece of evidence that outweighs that, continuing to point out that we didn't see what happened on-screen won't magically change my mind.
Inferno Rodan wrote: But Heisei Godzilla was never hit by a nuke. You have no basis of comparison there.
*Sigh* Well, I'm not going to explain my reasoning for the... what is it, fourth time? If you'd like, though, I can give some examples more specifically pertaining to Heisei Godzilla.
Inferno Rodan wrote:A nuke can make a crater dozens of feet deep. Hell, a 2000-lb bomb can make a crater 30 feet deep. Even ignoring the width of said craters, I'm fairly certain that's deeper than the Corona beam penetrated the ground. That's what I mean by damage on a point-for-point basis.
Ohhhh... :oops: Sorry, I misunderstood what you meant. As I've explained already, I don't think the damage an attack causes to the environment matters much in determining its power. I think the Corona Beam is more powerful than a nuke because it harms Godzilla while, IMHO, a nuke wouldn't. Not necessarily more overall energy, but enough energy in a concentrated form to do what the omnidirectional burst of a nuke would fail to.

wisper15
Xilien Halfling

Post by wisper15 »

I thought we was talkin' 'bout LPG.

And his nukes.

How did '54 get dragged into this?

*Looks at past three pages* Oh, right.

Yeah, the whole part when the acronym IMHO was used ruined your whole argument. An opinion based on very vague details that one reads far too much into isn't going to validate an argument one bit. I've tried.
TK's resident Taurean

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

Wisper15 wrote:Yeah, the whole part when the acronym IMHO was used ruined your whole argument. An opinion based on very vague details that one reads far too much into isn't going to validate an argument one bit. I've tried.
Well, it IS just my opinion (and the director's, and the composer's...). It may be a shocker to anyone that's used to how people act in this place, but I'm not trying to make everyone think the same as me. I don't give a skreeonk what any of you think, I was just humoring IR since he seemed to care so much about what I think.

Also, understanding the basic themes of the movie ≠ reading far too much into details.
Wisper15 wrote:I thought we was talkin' 'bout LPG.

And his nukes.

How did '54 get dragged into this?
Heh, my fault (partially).

On-topic (FINALLY), LPG was shown taking a nuclear blast at close range on-screen, he was shown to not have any scars from it later, and nothing in the film contradicts it, so I don't see why it shouldn't be considered a legit feat. He can tank nukes, full-stop.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Godzelda wrote:he was shown to not have any scars from it later, and nothing in the film contradicts it,
Except getting his hide punched in by the MUTOS and reacting negatively to artillery fire. It's as much an outliner as Heisei Godzilla traveling under the mantle yet still having his hide blasted all over Tokyo in 1984 by Super X and punctured by an RPG in 1989.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Godzelda wrote:he was shown to not have any scars from it later, and nothing in the film contradicts it,
Except getting his hide punched in by the MUTOS
I already had a whole discussion about this general idea, so I'll just repost what Beef Bigshot said:
Beef Bigshot wrote:Just because something doesn't have the "show" of a nuke, doesnt mean it doesn't have the force.
PopInPicsPresents wrote:and reacting negatively to artillery fire.
I react pretty much the same way when a moth bumps into me repeatedly.
PopInPicsPresents wrote:It's as much an outlier as Heisei Godzilla traveling under the mantle yet still having his hide blasted all over Tokyo in 1984 by Super X and punctured by an RPG in 1989.
Yes, that last one is indeed an outlier. As for the Super X example, its lasers were just powerful enough to do damage to a creature that can survive in the mantle (which isn't even saying much, considering that the upper parts of the mantle are only about as hot as fire).

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Godzelda wrote:Yes, that last one is indeed an outlier. As for the Super X example, its lasers were just powerful enough to do damage to a creature that can survive in the mantle (which isn't even saying much, considering that the upper parts of the mantle are only about as hot as fire).
Heat isn't the problem. It's the pressure. We're talking over 400,000 psi here at the very uppermost reaches of the mantle. It only gets greater deeper down. And that says nothing of the fact that "swimming" in the mantle is just silly anyway, since it's so viscous.

Godzelda
Interpol Agent

Post by Godzelda »

Inferno Rodan wrote:
Godzelda wrote:Yes, that last one is indeed an outlier. As for the Super X example, its lasers were just powerful enough to do damage to a creature that can survive in the mantle (which isn't even saying much, considering that the upper parts of the mantle are only about as hot as fire).
Heat isn't the problem. It's the pressure. We're talking over 400,000 psi here at the very uppermost reaches of the mantle. It only gets greater deeper down. And that says nothing of the fact that "swimming" in the mantle is just silly anyway, since it's so viscous.
Well, yes, but I don't think lasers are generally supposed to do damage with pressure. And, couldn't he just push himself through the mantle if he was strong enough? Or is that not how viscosity works? Skreeonkin' physics, how do they work?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Except getting his hide punched in by the MUTOS and reacting negatively to artillery fire. It's as much an outliner as Heisei Godzilla traveling under the mantle yet still having his hide blasted all over Tokyo in 1984 by Super X and punctured by an RPG in 1989.
I just re watched the movie and Godzilla was not hurt from the military. Godzilla constantly yells period he took the blows and then rammed through the golden gate.

As for the Mutos punching him versus tanking a nuke I can run somebody over in a car and they can get right back up but if I stab them it's going to pierce their body no matter what. Godzilla's armor simply takes heat and blunt force trauma better than stabbing plus the theme of the movies were only the Gods could harm one another. Only Godzilla could beat the mutos and only together could they beat Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image