Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.

Witch godzilla is the face of the reiwa Era

Shin Godzilla
90%
Godzilla Earth from anime trilogy
1%
Godzilla SP
4%
Other design like the godzilla ride design
1%
Future design
3%

Total votes: 93

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Witch godzilla is the face of the reiwa Era

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 pm
Nope, I don't think so. Admittedly Heisei only has the one Godzilla so it's not like we could really debate it. Although we do argue which was the best costume. But it's really just personal preference. I don't think that there's really one that's the face of Heisei more than the others.
That's besides the point. It seems it will always be hip and cool to crap all over the Heisei series as a whole, because that's popular opinion. How is it any different to have an (un)popular opinion and being vocal about it, particularly on a forum?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:23 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 pm
Nope, I don't think so. Admittedly Heisei only has the one Godzilla so it's not like we could really debate it. Although we do argue which was the best costume. But it's really just personal preference. I don't think that there's really one that's the face of Heisei more than the others.
That's besides the point. It seems it will always be hip and cool to crap all over the Heisei series as a whole, because that's popular opinion. How is it any different to have an (un)popular opinion and being vocal about it, particularly on a forum?
I don't crap over the Heisei era, I love that stuff. And it's not really about having an unpopular opinion - hell, this fandom is so divided on Shin I'm not sure which is more popular, liking or hating it. I'm just pointing out that love it or hate it, Shin is clearly the face of the Reiwa era, and will clearly remain so for a number of years at least yet.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Think it is clearly Shin. Both Godzilla Earth and Godzilla Ultima borrow the template of Shin Godzilla in the stoic force of nature/beyond our understanding archetype that has become the norm for the Reiwa era. Ultima especially references Shin iconography note for note in certain scenes just to drive the inspiration home.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I know I’ve said this before, but I would very much prefer it if Shin didn’t have to dictate everything going forward with Godzilla going forward.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:45 pm ^I know I’ve said this before, but I would very much prefer it if Shin didn’t have to dictate everything going forward with Godzilla going forward.
It's still too early to say.
For Emperor and Empire!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Shin is the ideal Reiwa Godzilla. I may not like it, but this is what peak Reiwa looks like.

thank god for the Monsterverse

Added in 53 seconds:
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:52 pm This one, obviously.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Btw, it should be "Which Godzilla is the face of the Reiwa era?".

Just sayin'.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:45 pm ^I know I’ve said this before, but I would very much prefer it if Shin didn’t have to dictate everything going forward with Godzilla going forward.
I mean, Heisei was the same throughout Heisei, Monsterverse ugh is the same. One version dictating what follows is normal. Even the Millennium series was largely similar films despite not sharing continuity, with GMK being kind of the exception.

Only difference is the anime versions haven't executed it well. At least with Reiwa, whatever may follow, the original was a strong film.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

It isn’t. It’s just that people were inspired by it because they loved it as much as I do.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

With a new Arts Spirits figure and the Xplus and Bandai, I'm thinking Toho may be pushing that design from the ride
Last edited by imposterzilla on Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

imposterzilla wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:50 pm With a new Arts Spirits figure and the Xplus and Bandai, I'm thinking Toho may be pushing that design
What design?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:25 am
imposterzilla wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:50 pm With a new Arts Spirits figure and the Xplus and Bandai, I'm thinking Toho may be pushing that design
What design?
The Ride design.

I think ultimately it’s probably a good indicator of where the next film design is heading. But it won’t be an exact copy.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:26 am
What design?
The Ride design.

I think ultimately it’s probably a good indicator of where the next film design is heading. But it won’t be an exact copy.
But.......what are you really going on with this?

The "Reiwa era" consists of one incredibly successful live action film, a mediocre animated trilogy, a Netflix television show and (if one really wants to count it) a theme park ride. Four totally different things and there is absolutely no way of knowing what direction Toho is going next. It could be anything.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

For me it´s Shin because he is the only live-action-face of the Reiwa-era.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:45 pm
It isn’t. It’s just that people were inspired by it because they loved it as much as I do.
I think Singular Point goes well beyond simple inspiration. It flat out rips entire scenes off from Shin. It’s as bad as Battle for Earth was with ripping off the original Mothra… but at least the original Mothra was a 30+ year old film at that point. Shin was barely even five years old.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legion1979 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:50 am
king_ghidorah wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:26 am

What design?
The Ride design.

But.......what are you really going on with this?

The "Reiwa era" consists of one incredibly successful live action film, a mediocre animated trilogy, a Netflix television show and (if one really wants to count it) a theme park ride. Four totally different things and there is absolutely no way of knowing what direction Toho is going next. It could be anything.
Im basing my assumption on the rumor that the same director is making the next Godzilla film and if you look at the Always 2 Godzilla and Godzilla the Ride….they have very similar faces and postures.

That all being said. I agree that everything so far has been a one off. If there’s any definitive Godzilla of this era it’s the Monsterverse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Heisei Godzilla is John Cena. Shin Godzilla is Roman Reigns. Toho is pushing Shin right now he is the face of the Reiwa era easily at this moment but for the face of Godzilla as a whole they don't shy to far away from Heisei and will put him in that role as needed.

Monsterverse Godzilla is the face of the franchise in America and it seems like he and Shin are splitting the duties when Heisei is not around.

I honestly feel we haven't met the true Reiwa Godzilla yet.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

This whole thread does bring up an interesting factoid. Due to Toho making three different Godzilla projects and only one of which being a theatrical live-action film, it is arguable that the face of this Godzilla era has been a western creation in the MonsterVerse Godzilla. Which I don't think anybody back in 2014 could've anticipated.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:54 pm This whole thread does bring up an interesting factoid. Due to Toho making three different Godzilla projects and only one of which being a theatrical live-action film, it is arguable that the face of this Godzilla era has been a western creation in the MonsterVerse Godzilla. Which I don't think anybody back in 2014 could've anticipated.
But this question is being asked specifically about the Japanese "Reiwa" films, so the MV shouldn't be factored into this discussion.

BUT if we're not going to play the nerdy "era" game and just ask what the face of "modern" Godzilla is, then you need to think about what side of the planet you're on.

In the US that's obviously the MV version. How the hell could it not be? But in Japan if you think it's anything other than Shin Godzilla, you're nuts.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:32 am Heisei Godzilla is John Cena. Shin Godzilla is Roman Reigns. Toho is pushing Shin right now he is the face of the Reiwa era easily at this moment but for the face of Godzilla as a whole they don't shy to far away from Heisei and will put him in that role as needed.

Monsterverse Godzilla is the face of the franchise in America and it seems like he and Shin are splitting the duties when Heisei is not around.

I honestly feel we haven't met the true Reiwa Godzilla yet.
Oh hellllll no. Heisei is the Stone Cold Steve Austin. If anything, the edgy spine Godzillas (2K, GXM, GXMG and SOS) are John Cena, where Toho kept trying to force it down our throats to our disapproval by the end. Shin can be Roman though, yes. But don't you dare insult Heisei Godzilla like that again. But we ALL know, there will never be another Stone Cold Steve Godzilla again.

I need more weed for conversations like this.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?