Monster Discussion: MechaGodzilla (Anime Trilogy)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Discussion: MechaGodzilla (Anime Trilogy)

Post by Thatguy4683 »

What are your thoughts and opinions on Mechagodzilla from the Anime Trilogy.
To clear up some things this is a thread for Mechagodzilla, not Mechagodzilla city that will be another topic for another day.

Links:
MechaGodzilla Wikizilla
If you want to take Fan Materials as a consideration here:
Godzilla Earth vs MechaGodzilla MMD Fan Animation
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion: MechaGodzilla (Anime Trilogy)

Post by Showa Gyaos »

When Mechagodzilla is brought up in fan circles, I always forget this one exists. I don't particularly have any thoughts on it that are positive.

It doesn't even resemble the character it's trying to imitate. Like everything the trilogy has to offer, there's nothing memorable or noteworthy about this take on a beloved mecha.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'd be able to make some more clear thoughts on him if he, y'know, was in the movie.

A shame too. The powers they gave him was awesome! Those fan made MMD animations proved that. But no, just replace it with a weird looking power plant city..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

I have been trying to be more charitable towards the anime trilogy recently, but I'm sorry; I really don't think there is anything particularly nice I can say about this one. Its base design is already bad; it's horribly jagged and unshapely, looking more like a pile of vaguely monster shaped scrap metal than anything else. This form only appears on screen for all of two or three scenes though, so it's not as if we have to look at it too much. No, we instead get to... explore the inner workings of a city that Mechagodzilla had been building. Not the worst idea ever, but even then, an AI built city constructed over the course of millennia is not as interesting as it sounds; not in this movie, anyhow. It did get to shine a bit in the final battle, but even then, seeing Godzilla go through some sort of gauntlet isn't as interesting as a plain and simple Godzilla VS Mechagodzilla fight would have been. Not to mention the fact that Godzilla: CotEOB just felt like filler in general.

The closest thing to a compliment I can give to it is that it was a unique idea, but that praise is only getting more faint with time, now that Godzilla is just becoming more willing to experiment across the board. A unique idea is just not that huge of an accomplishment now.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

One of many crimes these movies commit is that they put too much thought into everything while simultaneously not putting enough.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Unironically my 2nd favorite design behind the Showa version. I love how complex and alien it looks, and it's abilities are really unique with the shapeshifting. That MMD animation sold me on how badass this version could have been.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

He wasn't even in the fu**ing movie, so what kind of opinion is there to give, other than I think he has the worst MechaGodzilla design of all time?
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:54 pm He wasn't even in the fu**ing movie, so what kind of opinion is there to give, other than I think he has the worst MechaGodzilla design of all time?
His design would be better fitting for Mogera.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I really like the spikes, they make him seem more menacing in my opinion. I really wish we had seen him in action, even if just for one scene. That being said, I still like the Mechagodzilla City concept, I just wish we had seen the Mechagodzilla in action also.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The design is pretty good and having Mechagodzilla be built from nanometal is a great idea, but man, all the build-up to Mechagodzilla and in the end having it not battle Godzilla is very disappointing. Having the Mechagodzilla head being the source for the nanometal for all their new stuff is cool, but it would've been even better if they actually build a bigger, more powerful Mechagodzilla to fight Godzilla, but they didn't do that. Remember the Convergent Neutron Cannon, Blade Launcher and Hyper Lance that Mechagodzilla had? Pretty cool, right? Well, those abilities were never seen on screen. Mechagodzilla could've just not exist at all and instead have the source of the nanometal just be a large computer or something and barely anything would have changed.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 am The design is pretty good and having Mechagodzilla be built from nanometal is a great idea, but man, all the build-up to Mechagodzilla and in the end having it not battle Godzilla is very disappointing. Having the Mechagodzilla head being the source for the nanometal for all their new stuff is cool, but it would've been even better if they actually build a bigger, more powerful Mechagodzilla to fight Godzilla, but they didn't do that. Remember the Convergent Neutron Cannon, Blade Launcher and Hyper Lance that Mechagodzilla had? Pretty cool, right? Well, those abilities were never seen on screen. Mechagodzilla could've just not exist at all and instead have the source of the nanometal just be a large computer or something and barely anything would have changed.
They didn’t even do something cool with their idea too. Like what if the AI goes rogue on their leaders and ethically attacking his leaders. That would’ve been cool to see but they didn’t do jack

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I would comment on what I liked of Anime Mechagodzilla if we got to see it. But we didn't. Just a skull and then bam a big city, what is what you get. It's design I don't think is that bad but far from my fav among Mechagodzilla but I've got nothing to work with since it itself did nothing.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Nanotech with an MG is a good, original idea that has a lot of potential.

That's where my praise ends.

The design is trash. The whole "city" idea is stupid. The entire defenses of the city are just dumb. There's really no reason I can think of why MG couldn't just impale Godzilla with spears dozens of meters in width through his head, heart, organs, etc. Whatever, and just end it there. But noooo. Gotta' have this whole stupid ass "gauntlet" thing with traps and valleys. Or, why it couldn't just infect Godzilla like it was the cast.

ALL of that I would steadily and easily ignore and chalk up to bad writing if there was any sort of payoff, like a rebuilt, Godzilla Earth-sized MG emerging as the "final boss" of the gauntlet. Even if the design looks dumb, I could have taken it to actually see it in action. But nope.

Trash. Just like everything about the anime trilogy: trash.

And I'm sure there's going to be some pretentious neck beard at some point quoting me saying how I don't understand the depth and science behind it. And you are exactly right: I don't. Because the anime does nothing except talk out its ass the entire time. The dialogue is the equivalent to a science teacher letting out a loud fart in the middle of a lecture and then asking the students for an in-depth description of the audio levels and smells of said fart during a final exam.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

This whole trilogy is to Godzilla as the Star Wars sequel trilogy was to Star Wars.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue May 24, 2022 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I actually liked this design a lot. It's way different than what came before and dripping with originality. I love that his mouth looks like a cannon/railgun.
MV Mechagodzilla is cool but it's basically if Skynet made an endoskeleton of Godzilla. This guy pops.
That's why the second film rubbed me the wrong way. Why even use Mechagodzilla if he's not actually going to see action?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 5:58 am I actually liked this design a lot. It's way different than what came before and dripping with originality. I love that his mouth looks like a cannon/railgun.
MV Mechagodzilla is cool but it's basically if Skynet made an endoskeleton of Godzilla. This guy pops.
That's why the second film rubbed me the wrong way. Why even use Mechagodzilla if he's not actually going to see action?
The head frankly could pass as a Mogera head.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Great concept, but veered WAY too far from Mecha-G to be recognizable. Even the overly-spikey model we saw in merch could have been good to see in action, but the city took full precedence. There's a distinct lack of character to it like the other incarnations, which makes it boring in execution. It being central to the weakest of the trilogy's installments did not help. It's my least favorite depiction of Mechagodzilla to date, and it's a shame they undercooked the concept of a nanometal mecha so much.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

One attribute of praise:

A MechaGodzilla that replaces lifeforms on a molecular level with metal/nanorobots is a terrifying concept. It's like if John Carpenter's The Thing was a machine instead of an organic creature, and its goal was to terraform entire planets into mechanical nightmares. Just imagine something like that spreading through the universe, causing AI apocalypse after AI apocalypse again and again...

Had the writers toyed with the full potential of such a concept while at the same time remaining true to the character of MechaGodzilla, Anime Trilogy MechaGodzilla would've likely become my favorite incarnation of the character. It would've added so much more urgency to Godzilla's battle against Mecha G, and how essential it is that Godzilla—formerly viewed as the greatest threat there is—wins the fight.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:28 am One attribute of praise:

A MechaGodzilla that replaces lifeforms on a molecular level with metal/nanorobots is a terrifying concept. It's like if John Carpenter's The Thing was a machine instead of an organic creature, and its goal was to terraform entire planets into mechanical nightmares. Just imagine something like that spreading through the universe, causing AI apocalypse after AI apocalypse again and again...

Had the writers toyed with the full potential of such a concept while at the same time remaining true to the character of MechaGodzilla, Anime Trilogy MechaGodzilla would've likely become my favorite incarnation of the character. It would've added so much more urgency to Godzilla's battle against Mecha G, and how essential it is that Godzilla—formerly viewed as the greatest threat there is—wins the fight.
It also draws very clear parallels to Godzilla Earth. Godzilla Earth is an avatar of the planet, and his existence has terraformed the planet with new forms of life. The nanometal and Mechagodzilla are a replacement for that, swapping out one terraforming creature for another. Meanwhile, Void Ghidorah represents something different, eradication. The anime trilogy had really good ideas for thematically constrasting and linking Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, and Ghidorah (+Mothra), but fumbled so hard that it ruined some genuinely pretty good ideas.

We never got a proper fight, but the novels imply that MG was one of the only entities that Godzilla feared/viewed as something capable of killing it. The others being Gorath (Godzilla spends a bunch of time gathering energy and blows it up to save the earth), Ghidorah, and maybe Mothra (Mothra technically actually beats Godzilla at the end of anime novels and sucuessfully deters it). Everything and everyone else are basically a curbstomp to blow through, or just taking time for Godzilla to defeat/kill.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:44 pm
The anime trilogy had really good ideas for thematically constrasting and linking Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, and Ghidorah (+Mothra), but fumbled so hard that it ruined some genuinely pretty good ideas.
This is what is so infuriating about the anime trilogy. And it seems like, since it’s already been tried and failed, these concepts cannot be revisited.