Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: New Kaiju Movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:22 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:17 pm Why is that concept random or stupid? I think that could be really cool if done well. A similar idea worked out for Half Century War.
Because it's gimmicky and this isn't a comic series. Assuming this is a Godzilla film, I hope they had a good reason/inspiration to start in this timeframe.

When you start working from a gimmicky perspective, ideas are pigeonholed into a setting that they might not otherwise be. In other words, unless you have a reason to justify it, don't forcibly make a Godzilla film set in the 70's just because it would be fun for a small portion of the fans. Part of the reason why Shin Godzilla was popular in Japan was that it was incredibly contemporary, and din't require you to be nostalgic for Godzilla/Japan in another time frame to be enjoyed.

On top of that, if they make a Godzilla film in the style of another time frame, it'll inevitably be compared to the other films set in that time frame. While maybe it could be good, it's setting up disappointment.
If every idea that crosses my mind comes across as overly gimmicky to almost everyone around here, then I don't now what idea won't be. Literally anything can be bound for failure so long as it lacks a solid context for foundation.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Hey, when X-Men: First Class came out I was excited at the prospect of a "thru the decades" series about the X-Men. I'd love a Godzilla trilogy that takes place over multiple decades; the changing threats of kaiju, evolving defense strategies, maybe even mankind learning to live with Godzilla by the end. That's something I've wanted to see since I was a kid, though Half Century War does a pretty good job with that concept.
If the story is there, it'd be an interesting concept to tackle.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I'd rather Toho not worry about following Godzilla through decades and just focus on him in modern times or if they want a past film just worry about the time line later assuming its one off.

I would personally love a story where the events of 54 and 84 happened. The government could cover up the 54 attack and the 84 Godzilla would be trapped still in Mt Mihara.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:25 am I'd rather Toho not worry about following Godzilla through decades and just focus on him in modern times or if they want a past film just worry about the time line later assuming its one off.

I would personally love a story where the events of 54 and 84 happened. The government could cover up the 54 attack and the 84 Godzilla would be trapped still in Mt Mihara.
I like that... Would be nice if the 40s event is a covered up event and 54 is largely in part ad well. 84 could have just not hit the mainland and Super X could have knocked him into the volcano.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

[Post-War Tokyo is reduced to a smoldering radioactive ruin overnight with hundreds dead & doomed to die]

Japanese govt.: "YEAH, THAT'S A FEATURE!"

Stretching believability here, fellas.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I mean maybe a section of city at night they could probably cover it up as a typhoon. The radiation that is a sticking point, but there were parts of Nevada and New Mexico that were left radioactive and the locals new, but the government swept it under the rug for decades.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

NSZ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:26 pm [Post-War Tokyo is reduced to a smoldering radioactive ruin overnight with hundreds dead & doomed to die]

You say that like a large portion of GMK's story isn't about how the original Godzilla attack is treated as basically a legend among contemporary Japanese society.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Ah, yes, typhoons. Well known for burning cities to the ground.
UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 pm
NSZ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:26 pm [Post-War Tokyo is reduced to a smoldering radioactive ruin overnight with hundreds dead & doomed to die]

You say that like a large portion of GMK's story isn't about how the original Godzilla attack is treated as basically a legend among contemporary Japanese society.
And it was monumentally stupid then, too. :shrug:
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

NSZ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:14 pm And it was monumentally stupid then, too. :shrug:
I dunno, I thought it was a brilliant way to satirize Japanese nationalism and the denial of war crimes during WW2.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:36 pm
NSZ wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:14 pm And it was monumentally stupid then, too. :shrug:
I dunno, I thought it was a brilliant way to satirize Japanese nationalism and the denial of war crimes during WW2.
Goes to show that if a visionary director and/or writer has a a story they want to tell surrounding a particular idea, anything can work.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Which can be more broadly extrapolated to apply to any number of other countries' sweeping their pasts under the rug, which a healthy portion of the population is always perfectly happy to go along with.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I've never looked at it this way. Feels like you've just blown my mind.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Who in the early 50's would believe Godzilla attacked Tokyo if a majority of the witnesses were either dead or dying from radiation sickness and the government was saying there was no Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It needs to be said that we're living in a time where a huge portion of the American public is able to aggressively deny or downplay the existence of a pandemic that's killed millions worldwide, so I would say never underestimate human willingness to sweep away unwanted truths. Especially given that Godzilla was only on land for like a few hours tops, with only a limited number of witnesses that lived to tell the tale.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

You’d be surprised how a large portion of Japan, good and normal people, mostly try to forget WW2, and actually the build up-to it. Nuclear bombings are also pretty similar. It’s why the metaphor works really well in GMK, because it’s the older generation remembering the war that is now forgotten about.

That being said, a prequel where Godzilla appears would still be strange.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:49 am

You’d be surprised how a large portion of Japan, good and normal people, mostly try to forget WW2, and actually the build up-to it. Nuclear bombings are also pretty similar. It’s why the metaphor works really well in GMK, because it’s the older generation remembering the war that is now forgotten about.

That being said, a prequel where Godzilla appears would still be strange.
I want to ask you an honest question. Is it my ideas themselves you find dumb or is it that they lack context and groundwork for a proper execution?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:22 pm
JAGzilla wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:17 pm Why is that concept random or stupid? I think that could be really cool if done well. A similar idea worked out for Half Century War.
Because it's gimmicky and this isn't a comic series. Assuming this is a Godzilla film, I hope they had a good reason/inspiration to start in this timeframe.

When you start working from a gimmicky perspective, ideas are pigeonholed into a setting that they might not otherwise be. In other words, unless you have a reason to justify it, don't forcibly make a Godzilla film set in the 70's just because it would be fun for a small portion of the fans. Part of the reason why Shin Godzilla was popular in Japan was that it was incredibly contemporary, and din't require you to be nostalgic for Godzilla/Japan in another time frame to be enjoyed.

On top of that, if they make a Godzilla film in the style of another time frame, it'll inevitably be compared to the other films set in that time frame. While maybe it could be good, it's setting up disappointment.

I'm going to have to hard disagree that this idea is stupid. For one, it is a very fresh concept that has only been done in a comic and stretching it a bit in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. Every Godzilla film to date has always been set in the contemporary and so it could breathe some new creativity for the franchise. Doing a movie or series of film set in various decades would allow filmmakers to explore new avenues of human catharsis through the ages, question the morals of the past, and ask if the present is about to repeat the same mistakes. Being period pieces of each of the decade also allows trying different styles of photography to capture the tone of the decade. I don't think anyone is suggesting these films be part of the showa (or any other past film series) era continuity.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^I appreciate you backing me up. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:52 pm ^I appreciate you backing me up. ;)
Your welcome. I'm actually surprised that LSD Jellyfish of all people is not supportive of this idea. Usually, Jellyfish (and eabaker) is supportive of new ideas and styles never tried in Godzilla films before. This thought has potential to be another Godzilla vs. Hedorah or Shin Godzilla: a weird experimental one off film that breaths fresh creative blood in the franchise.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:17 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:52 pm ^I appreciate you backing me up. ;)
Your welcome. I'm actually surprised that LSD Jellyfish of all people is not supportive of this idea. Usually, Jellyfish (and eabaker) is supportive of new ideas and styles never tried in Godzilla films before. This thought has potential to be another Godzilla vs. Hedorah or Shin Godzilla: a weird experimental one off film that breaths fresh creative blood in the franchise.
I think that they get distracted by how ideas from someone like me just come out of left field without context or groundwork. Would their response be any different if they had come from a professional writer working in the industry?