Godzilla -1.0 (2023) General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: New Kaiju Movie Directed by Takashi Yamazaki in the Works

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:07 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:17 am
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:52 pm ^I appreciate you backing me up. ;)
Your welcome. I'm actually surprised that LSD Jellyfish of all people is not supportive of this idea. Usually, Jellyfish (and eabaker) is supportive of new ideas and styles never tried in Godzilla films before. This thought has potential to be another Godzilla vs. Hedorah or Shin Godzilla: a weird experimental one off film that breaths fresh creative blood in the franchise.
I think that they get distracted by how ideas from someone like me just come out of left field without context or groundwork. Would their response be any different if they had come from a professional writer working in the industry?
Or they just didn't like the idea and it had nothing to do with you suggesting the idea.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:13 pm

Your welcome. I'm actually surprised that LSD Jellyfish of all people is not supportive of this idea. Usually, Jellyfish (and eabaker) is supportive of new ideas and styles never tried in Godzilla films before. This thought has potential to be another Godzilla vs. Hedorah or Shin Godzilla: a weird experimental one off film that breaths fresh creative blood in the franchise.
I think that they get distracted by how ideas from someone like me just come out of left field without context or groundwork. Would their response be any different if they had come from a professional writer working in the industry?
Or they just didn't like the idea and it had nothing to do with you suggesting the idea.
It's one thing to find an idea unappealing, but they seem to act with contempt towards virtually EVERY idea I can imagine.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:15 pm

It's one thing to find an idea unappealing, but they seem to act with contempt towards virtually EVERY idea I can imagine.
I haven't paid attention to every single idea you may have presented, but Jellyfish from time here doesn't seem like a member that would target one person and crap on their ideas and the same for Eabaker. They've both agreed and disagreed with me in the past but they ways respected me as a memeber here.

I'm almost positive they're aren't trying to crap on every one of your ideas just because it's you.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I hope everyone knows I meant no disrespect to either Jellyfish or Eabaker. Also, I never meant to imply Eabaker liked or disliked the idea as he hasn't commented on the idea of doing various period piece Godzilla films.

My intention was that I made an observation that usually Jellyfish and Eabaker are heavily into intricate storytelling and film writing and typically are supportive of new styles of filmmaking and storytelling, especially when it comes to Godzilla/tokusatsu. My comment was simply that I was surprised that Jellyfish was not at least interested in exploring a period piece since this is new filmmaking territory not explored in the franchise.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I personally think it's time to move on and find some other angle to discuss this project that people literally know nothing about.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:06 pm

I hope everyone knows I meant no disrespect to either Jellyfish or Eabaker. Also, I never meant to imply Eabaker liked or disliked the idea as he hasn't commented on the idea of doing various period piece Godzilla films.

My intention was that I made an observation that usually Jellyfish and Eabaker are heavily into intricate storytelling and film writing and typically are supportive of new styles of filmmaking and storytelling, especially when it comes to Godzilla/tokusatsu. My comment was simply that I was surprised that Jellyfish was not at least interested in exploring a period piece since this is new filmmaking territory not explored in the franchise.
I apologize if my post made you feel you had to explain yourself. I was just trying to get Legendzilla to see that I don't feel anyone is agreeing or disagreeing with his ideas because they are from him, just that we all like different things about Godzilla and we won't all agree.

Shin Godzilla vs KOTM should show how wide the fandom can skew in what they like.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Just because my name has been dropped in this thread a few times, I'll go ahead and weigh in on the idea. I think it has potential, as long as it had a strong thematic/narrative spine, or if it was done as a very loose anthology by different filmmakers who brought unique styles and themes appropriate to each era.

But, of course, at this point we're not even engaged in speculation, we're just imagining and riffing, so we should probably bring the focus back to what we do or do not know (not that we know much).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:30 am Just because my name has been dropped in this thread a few times, I'll go ahead and weigh in on the idea. I think it has potential, as long as it had a strong thematic/narrative spine, or if it was done as a very loose anthology by different filmmakers who brought unique styles and themes appropriate to each era.

But, of course, at this point we're not even engaged in speculation, we're just imagining and riffing, so we should probably bring the focus back to what we do or do not know (not that we know much).
IIRC, LSD Jellyfish of all people stood up for me when I suggested the idea of The Monsterverse crossing over with Pacific Rim a couple years back.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BurningCoolMan
JXSDF Technician

Post by BurningCoolMan »

soooo, nothing new for nearly 2 months?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

BurningCoolMan wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:29 pm soooo, nothing new for nearly 2 months?
Well, the first set photo got leaked but it doesn't show anything new except for... the fact they'll be using blue screens. Shocker, right? No other movie has ever done that before!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

You probably won't here/see anything until the film is formally announced. It's clearly a placeholder for a name, so even if it's not a Godzilla film don't expect much. Likewise, remember that unlike the current Hollywood landscape, Japanese productions are tight lipped. Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman are notoriously tight pre-release (even with the suit leaking) and I predict it'll be silence up until the film is near finished.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I’m guessing we’ll have a confirmation of the true nature of this project by December.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:10 pm You probably won't here/see anything until the film is formally announced. It's clearly a placeholder for a name, so even if it's not a Godzilla film don't expect much. Likewise, remember that unlike the current Hollywood landscape, Japanese productions are tight lipped. Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman are notoriously tight pre-release (even with the suit leaking) and I predict it'll be silence up until the film is near finished.
Honestly I really wish Hollywood productions were more closed off. I think that would be for the best.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

But then how could thousands of online newspapers make money off of half true leaked info? Think of how many fewer clicks that would generate, devastating!
He Jock it Made of Steel

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:54 pm But then how could thousands of online newspapers make money off of half true leaked info? Think of how many fewer clicks that would generate, devastating!
How could Youtubers make clicky and flashy thumbnails for videos that reveal jackshit!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't even have an official announcement correct? As in, all the info we know Is purely based on the one casting call. I think at the earliest, this will be out in late 2023, so get ready to wait, and wait, and wait.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:10 pm You probably won't here/see anything until the film is formally announced. It's clearly a placeholder for a name, so even if it's not a Godzilla film don't expect much. Likewise, remember that unlike the current Hollywood landscape, Japanese productions are tight lipped. Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman are notoriously tight pre-release (even with the suit leaking) and I predict it'll be silence up until the film is near finished.
I wouldn't say Japanese are more tight lipped just that people that do get leaks out share in a tighter, closer knit than Hollywood productions.

Hollywood leaks people want to share so they can look right and make theories that may or may not happen, where if something from Japan leaks its kept closer because it's much easier to find who leaked something and leaks have much harsher punishment I'm Japan.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. The pessimist in me believes it will turn out to be completely unrelated to Godzilla. I guess there's no reason to be too disappointed, it could still be interesting with another monster old or new. Deep down I know I'd prefer yet another Godzilla lol.
Last edited by PuzzledAmphibian on Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'd be totally happy with a brand new non Godzilla kaiju film. I just feel a new Godzilla movie is more likely. You never know though with modern Toho.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:42 pm I'd be totally happy with a brand new non Godzilla kaiju film. I just feel a new Godzilla movie is more likely. You never know though with modern Toho.
Sad part is I find myself wanting to see if Toho could find success with a new monster because I would like to see a new Star eventually go up against Mothra or Godzilla.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

These days I'm anxious for Japan to get going on new live action Godzilla films. So I'm hoping it will new Godzilla film after all.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"