How will you feel about a Godzilla Vs Rodan film?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Re: How will you feel about a Godzilla Vs Rodan film?

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I honestly think that Rodan doesn’t need too many crazy buffs if we pit him against Godzilla. Depending how they tackle this Godzilla, I’d actually like to see Rodan hold a solid advantage over Godzilla when it comes to tactics. Like, he has the strength to lift him and the speed to outrace him, but why not have him also be smart enough to force Godzilla away from the seas to take away his home turf advantage, or spend the fight annoying him until he wastes his energy, giving ample time to start landing some serious damage?

This could also force Godzilla to think strategically too, depending how the story treats him. As much as giving Rodan a bunch of new powers would be, I kinda wanna see if they can do more with less. Maybe a Uranium ray is okay since it’s been a thing in Heisei? But it’s not necessary.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Yes. Personally, I'd actually make the Rodan a solo female. We've never got one in film before. She'd be Godzilla's equal like she deserves to be and for abilities, how about... none! The uranium heat ray was pointless anyways, only being added due to Kawakita and his stupid laser fetish. Rody'll do just fine as a melee combatant. I could imagine she uses the hurricane winds she produces as a weapon against Godzilla while flying. Maybe, she could even throw debris collected by the gusts to block Godzilla's atomic breath. As for who wins, it could really go either way.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I want big Rodan. Bring back big Rodan!
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

That's what I liked about my idea for a Rodan power up via the speed setting the air on fire - that could make Rodan a threat to the world and humanity, but you could easily imagine Godzilla surviving that and just not caring. So it puts urgency to the human plot to slow him/her down, but doesn't seem overpowering against Godzilla.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Well Rodan would need to be buffed to fight Godzilla. Godzilla vs Kong is proof you can do a Godzilla entry focused on Godzilla smashing a lesser opponent, but it sucked awfully and I don't want a hypothetical GvR to suck either. So make Godzilla and Rodan more or less equals. Don't allow Rodan to be like Kong and require silly nonsensical plot armor to take on Godzilla. I guess a good blueprint to follow are the old classic Showa movies where Godzilla and Rodan were more or less equals. Rodan was able to hold his own against Godzilla and not really be defeated by him. He was practically immune to Godzilla's heat ray and use his flight abilities to compensate for his somewhat less raw power than Godzilla to break even with him. So go for something along those lines. Perhaps update Rodan to be faster than he normally is since he was designed to be against dated 50's aircraft. I think at least a beam is necessary too. Godzilla has a beam and to make him seem even he'll need something too.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Lesko wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:19 pm Well Rodan would need to be buffed to fight Godzilla. Godzilla vs Kong is proof you can do a Godzilla entry focused on Godzilla smashing a lesser opponent, but it sucked awfully and I don't want a hypothetical GvR to suck either. So make Godzilla and Rodan more or less equals. Don't allow Rodan to be like Kong and require silly nonsensical plot armor to take on Godzilla. I guess a good blueprint to follow are the old classic Showa movies where Godzilla and Rodan were more or less equals. Rodan was able to hold his own against Godzilla and not really be defeated by him. He was practically immune to Godzilla's heat ray and use his flight abilities to compensate for his somewhat less raw power than Godzilla to break even with him. So go for something along those lines. Perhaps update Rodan to be faster than he normally is since he was designed to be against dated 50's aircraft. I think at least a beam is necessary too. Godzilla has a beam and to make him seem even he'll need something too.
I in the crowd that feels Rodan deserves at least some buffs, but just not overdone. Maybe give him back his Uranium ray at least, but in order to take Godzilla down completely, he will have to cooperate with his mate.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:02 pm
Lesko wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:19 pm Well Rodan would need to be buffed to fight Godzilla. Godzilla vs Kong is proof you can do a Godzilla entry focused on Godzilla smashing a lesser opponent, but it sucked awfully and I don't want a hypothetical GvR to suck either. So make Godzilla and Rodan more or less equals. Don't allow Rodan to be like Kong and require silly nonsensical plot armor to take on Godzilla. I guess a good blueprint to follow are the old classic Showa movies where Godzilla and Rodan were more or less equals. Rodan was able to hold his own against Godzilla and not really be defeated by him. He was practically immune to Godzilla's heat ray and use his flight abilities to compensate for his somewhat less raw power than Godzilla to break even with him. So go for something along those lines. Perhaps update Rodan to be faster than he normally is since he was designed to be against dated 50's aircraft. I think at least a beam is necessary too. Godzilla has a beam and to make him seem even he'll need something too.
I in the crowd that feels Rodan deserves at least some buffs, but just not overdone. Maybe give him back his Uranium ray at least, but in order to take Godzilla down completely, he will have to cooperate with his mate.
Heck, Rodan once even picked Godzilla up in his claws and carried him for a significant distance before finally letting him go and dropping him onto the ground. If that doesn't put him up there in the big leagues, I don't know what will. The fans need a scene like that again.

And you're right, btw; something similar to the uranium heat ray Rodan had once before should be done again as well. At least, it'll put him on an even keel with Godzilla.

And while they're at it, why not let the two of them have a beam lock at one point similar to the one in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, with Rodan shooting out his beam from the sky and Godzilla shooting out his beam from the ground? That'd be every fan's dream come true!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

While I agree that Rodan needs some buffs, I'm actually against him getting a beam again. Beams seem like the lazy upgrade just copying what Godzilla's got. I would prefer to see any other buff over another beam. At some point other monsters need to be shown as a threat to Godzilla without resorting to needing a beam.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Fine. Rodman has always, to me, been a Kaiju with a large personality. This lends itself well to film portrayal. I’ll always welcome Rodman on the big screen.

Edit: Meant Rodan. Though I was a big fan of Rodman when he played for my Pistons.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:20 pm Fine. Rodman has always, to me, been a Kaiju with a large personality. This lends itself well to film portrayal. I’ll always welcome Rodman on the big screen.

Edit: Meant Rodan. Though I was a big fan of Rodman when he played for my Pistons.
Alright this makes my day. Anyone down with the Bad Boys is cool with me.
Godzilla vs Rodman when?!?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Godzilla frankly needs peers again. And ones not just named Ghidorah or sometimes Mechagodzilla. I frankly rather dislike how some Japanese Godzilla media as of late seems to have taken the 'King of the Monsters' title a bit too literally by making him heads and shoulders stronger than anything else that can ever exist.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Desghidorah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:27 pm Godzilla frankly needs peers again. And ones not just named Ghidorah or sometimes Mechagodzilla. I frankly rather dislike how some Japanese Godzilla media as of late seems to have taken the 'King of the Monsters' title a bit too literally by making him heads and shoulders stronger than anything else that can ever exist.
I mean, that's only really been the anime so far - and even there it has been that big a thing. Think about it:
1. Shin doesn't count because there's no other monsters anyways (yet, still dream of a sequel some day...)
2. Earth killed all the other monsters off screen millennia ago and only fights Mechagodzilla City and King Ghidorah on screen. Which gets to your other point about not having peers beyond those two, but still we never see the other monsters.
3. Ultima likewise only fought Rodan (who got one shotted, but Rodan's fallen in status) and Jet Jaguar, and JJ won.

You'd need to include other monsters first before any of them could be peers of Godzilla. But we haven't gotten that because none of the films/series has been versus films in the usual sense of the word. Kaiju vs kaiju action hasn't been the theme or point of the recent content, so we haven't gotten much of Godzilla fighting others largely, which means no one has really had the opportunity to come off as his peer. His biggest threats so far have been Ghiddy and Jet, which is half of all the fights he's had. Toho would have to move from a more character/storytelling mode back to a more vs mode - and considering Legendary has the budgets to entirely outshine them on the CGI monster fights, Toho has no reason to even make that attempt. They have to find a way to tell Godzilla stories outside the classic vs model because they're outmatched on the vs front.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:25 pm
Desghidorah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:27 pm Godzilla frankly needs peers again. And ones not just named Ghidorah or sometimes Mechagodzilla. I frankly rather dislike how some Japanese Godzilla media as of late seems to have taken the 'King of the Monsters' title a bit too literally by making him heads and shoulders stronger than anything else that can ever exist.
I mean, that's only really been the anime so far - and even there it has been that big a thing. Think about it:
1. Shin doesn't count because there's no other monsters anyways (yet, still dream of a sequel some day...)
2. Earth killed all the other monsters off screen millennia ago and only fights Mechagodzilla City and King Ghidorah on screen. Which gets to your other point about not having peers beyond those two, but still we never see the other monsters.
3. Ultima likewise only fought Rodan (who got one shotted, but Rodan's fallen in status) and Jet Jaguar, and JJ won.

You'd need to include other monsters first before any of them could be peers of Godzilla. But we haven't gotten that because none of the films/series has been versus films in the usual sense of the word. Kaiju vs kaiju action hasn't been the theme or point of the recent content, so we haven't gotten much of Godzilla fighting others largely, which means no one has really had the opportunity to come off as his peer. His biggest threats so far have been Ghiddy and Jet, which is half of all the fights he's had. Toho would have to move from a more character/storytelling mode back to a more vs mode - and considering Legendary has the budgets to entirely outshine them on the CGI monster fights, Toho has no reason to even make that attempt. They have to find a way to tell Godzilla stories outside the classic vs model because they're outmatched on the vs front.
Case #2 is pretty much the only thing needed to prove my point, and Ultima curb-stomping every kaiju he goes up against further validated it. I can also point to the theme park rides for further indicators, where both times in a straight fight, soon as he gets a solid atomic breath in Godzilla pretty effectively dispatches even Ghidorah whom was bodying the EVAs and Rodan handily. Besides, in an animated format, budget is much less of a worry. Toho has done Vs. movies with some good character moments and pathos before, some of the early Showa films (Mothra vs. Godzilla) and even some of the Heisei and Millennium films (GvBiollante, Kiryu Saga) pulled it off pretty well. So even if they wish not to edge into with live action; animation can be an avenue. Kaiju battles have been a big draw for the franchise by fans and non-fans alike and their existence wouldn't invalidate storytelling or character. One could also make the argument the "humans vs. Godzilla" plot can only be done so many times while remaining fresh. I'm actually a supporter of the AniGoji trilogy having merit, but I can fully admit the first two films have a few too many repeats even with earnest attempts at storytelling or character beats.

Also while JJ did win that battle, it was mostly only do to the series plot relevant weapon rather than actually besting Godzilla. I know it's a weird distinction to make, but it doesn't feel quite like a solid 'win' to me like it might if Kiryu killed a kaiju with the absolute zero cannon. I'll fully admit this is nitpicky, but I feel the distinction is the fights in SP tended to just be a few hits and it's over.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Desghidorah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:03 pm
Vakanai wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:25 pm

Case #2 is pretty much the only thing needed to prove my point, and Ultima curb-stomping every kaiju he goes up against further validated it. I can also point to the theme park rides for further indicators, where both times in a straight fight, soon as he gets a solid atomic breath in Godzilla pretty effectively dispatches even Ghidorah whom was bodying the EVAs and Rodan handily. Besides, in an animated format, budget is much less of a worry. Toho has done Vs. movies with some good character moments and pathos before, some of the early Showa films (Mothra vs. Godzilla) and even some of the Heisei and Millennium films (GvBiollante, Kiryu Saga) pulled it off pretty well. So even if they wish not to edge into with live action; animation can be an avenue. Kaiju battles have been a big draw for the franchise by fans and non-fans alike and their existence wouldn't invalidate storytelling or character. One could also make the argument the "humans vs. Godzilla" plot can only be done so many times while remaining fresh. I'm actually a supporter of the AniGoji trilogy having merit, but I can fully admit the first two films have a few too many repeats even with earnest attempts at storytelling or character beats.

Also while JJ did win that battle, it was mostly only do to the series plot relevant weapon rather than actually besting Godzilla. I know it's a weird distinction to make, but it doesn't feel quite like a solid 'win' to me like it might if Kiryu killed a kaiju with the absolute zero cannon. I'll fully admit this is nitpicky, but I feel the distinction is the fights in SP tended to just be a few hits and it's over.
Case #2 was literally all off screen because the anime trilogy wasn't about the monster action stuff, and Ultima didn't curb-stomp every kaiju he came across because he only came across two, Rodan and Jet Jaguar, and he only curb-stomped Rodan - JJ won. I'm sorry, but to me the animes are just horrible examples because they're clearly not going for a traditional vs match up. Monster vs monster just isn't the draw of those projects. Until we have a Toho Godzilla where the point is Godzilla fighting again, this argument just doesn't fly in my opinion. It has nothing to do with budget, because these aren't vs series/films. Yes, they could do an excellent vs fight in animation because budgets aren't a worry, but that has nothing to do with your point because they chose not to make it about the vs set up. They wanted to do something different so as to not be compared too much with the very vs-centric MV, for whatever reason.

No one's arguing how often kaiu vs kaiju or kaiju vs human can be done and stay fresh - it isn't about freshness, it's about not doing the same thing Legendary is doing.

Also not sure you can count the film park rides as evidence either - only other kaiju in those is Ghidorah and Rodan, and Godzilla doesn't fight Rodan from what I remember Ghiddy did - and even more importantly, they're rides. There's a limit on how long a fight can go on in a ride, Godzilla has to quickly dispatch Ghidorah in those because the whole thing only has a handful of minutes to play out.

I still consider it a solid win for JJ - it was the computer program's work that eventually became his AI that made it possible anyways, and the series was all plot driven so using the plot to win...it just works. Opinions though may vary. Plot for the anime is more story than action. Until we get something distinctly more towards the action front from Toho (which is a different argument entirely on if they should) this doesn't feel like a problem to me. If we got a more straight forward vs-focused entry and Godzilla just beats them handily, then I'd worry.

Added in 4 minutes 31 seconds:
Basically the point is, you want Toho to make a traditional vs battle, and they're not doing that. It's a different complaint really over the no-peers argument. Considering we're getting the vs content met by the Hollywood films, I can see why Toho is reluctant to make something like that right now. They want to provide something different in contrast. It's just that the different things they're providing is divisive.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

^You're forgetting that Ultima also multi-curbstomps a few Mandas as well.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

As a Reiwa film, you could easily have both monsters be the villains. It's not your usual good kaiju vs bad kaiju; It's mankind trying to fight two monsters that just happen to meet in an epic clash to the death.

Should they try it? Rodan is a popular kaiju, and G3HM showed Rodan as a strong t and c fighter. I think it could be done well with a strong story.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:20 am ^You're forgetting that Ultima also multi-curbstomps a few Mandas as well.
Of course I'm forgetting - the Godzilla scenes were all so short, unimportant to the story, often visibly obscured, and clearly such an after thought it's hard not to forget what little he did. I liked the anime, but Godzilla didn't deserve to be in the title. It should've been called Jet Jaguar: Singular Point (featuring Rodan and Anguirus!).

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:25 pm It should've been called Jet Jaguar: Singular Point (featuring pteranodons and Anguirus!).
Fixed it for you. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Spuro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:28 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:25 pm It should've been called Jet Jaguar: Singular Point (featuring pteranodons and Anguirus!).
Fixed it for you. :P
You're not wrong! :lol:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:25 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:20 am ^You're forgetting that Ultima also multi-curbstomps a few Mandas as well.
Of course I'm forgetting - the Godzilla scenes were all so short, unimportant to the story, often visibly obscured, and clearly such an after thought it's hard not to forget what little he did. I liked the anime, but Godzilla didn't deserve to be in the title. It should've been called Jet Jaguar: Singular Point (featuring Rodan and Anguirus!).
I strongly disagree with a lot of this, but respect your opinion nonetheless.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image