When will Toho make another live action Godzilla film? Or will they?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

When will Toho make another live action Godzilla film? Or will they?

Post by Vakanai »

Will Toho get back into making live action Godzilla movies again this decade? And if so, when do you think we might see something? Or do you think they're planning to just let Legendary handle live action films until the Monsterverse ends who knows when?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: When will Toho make another live action Godzilla film? Or will they?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I mean I don’t know, maybe they’ll put out like one or two live action movies out there but that’s it. It seems like they struck gold with singular point so they might be continuing that universe.

As for solo movies it’s hard to say. But I know one thing, If they ever make another solo movie it’s only going to be about Godzilla. I know it might sound off but really they’re only going to popular Kaiju. I guarantee you we’re not getting another Rodan or Mothra solo movie.
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I am sure Toho is gonna make another live action entry in time. When? Who knows? I think it'll be in a few years but even if it isn't give it a decade or so. I don't see why they wouldn't do so especially after the massive success of Shin Godzilla. Shin Godzilla was made after the first MV entry so it certainly is likely to happen in some way, shape, or form. Whether they make a live action film or not is irrelevant because I am eager to see what Toho does and the MV as well even if I am not too big on the latter.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

When it's most profitable to do so.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I'd wager that we'll find out this year or next

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Lesko wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:07 pm I think it'll be in a few years but even if it isn't give it a decade or so.
Read the opening post - I was asking more about this decade. Clearly they will make another Godzilla film this century, but will we see one in the next five or so years?

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:00 pm I'd wager that we'll find out this year or next
Any idea when this year or next they're most likely to reveal that?
Last edited by Vakanai on Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It might happen sooner than later. Obviously something is going on. Legendary has not officially announced a sequel to GvK yet because they can't. There's certainly probably a lot of talks going on behind the scenes that preventing official announcements from either side. Probably because Toho doesn't want to be limited like they were by the previous contract.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:34 pmProbably because Toho doesn't want to be limited like they were by the previous contract.
I hope you're right. It sucked that they couldn't strike when the iron was hot after Shin was a mega success for them domestically because of the Legendary deal. Hopefully they've worked out something that'll let them make more films going forward.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Depending on how long it takes for the next MonsterVerse Godzilla movie to come, we could very well get one only a couple years from now. After all, the same thing happened with Shin Godzilla.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla SP has been in the pipeworks since 2017, with concept art going that far back.i wouldn’t be surprised if Toho already has a few ideas of what they want to do next, but won’t, because of Legendary and the ongoing corona virus pandemic.

Godzilla is the signature tent pole of Japanese love action movies and Toho’s Treasure. When they stop making films like that, it’s the end of the Japanese film making medium.

Also, let’s not act like Toho isn’t making a live action monster flick now. They’re making Shin ultraman, which unfortunately will probably be delayed due to corona getting very bad in japan currently. It’s easy to imagine that had Toho been in the clear with legendary, that probably it could have been another Godzilla film.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Probably not until late in this decade.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho or Legendary will have a film by 2024. There is no chance the miss the 70th anniversary.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:45 pm Toho or Legendary will have a film by 2024. There is no chance the miss the 70th anniversary.
Agreed. And I guess that will be Toho's spot. Cause every MV Godzilla movies took about 4 to 5 years to be released after their first announcement. In the other hand, Shin Godzilla was able to be released only two years after it had been announced.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:46 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:34 pmProbably because Toho doesn't want to be limited like they were by the previous contract.
I hope you're right. It sucked that they couldn't strike when the iron was hot after Shin was a mega success for them domestically because of the Legendary deal. Hopefully they've worked out something that'll let them make more films going forward.
Well if we're talking just short term I think Toho is going to let Legendary do the live actions. That's not to say they could throw us a curveball but that seems to be what their intentions are now. Whatever they decide to do though I am definitely keeping an eye on.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Lesko wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:32 pm
Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:46 pm
Well if we're talking just short term I think Toho is going to let Legendary do the live actions. That's not to say they could throw us a curveball but that seems to be what their intentions are now. Whatever they decide to do though I am definitely keeping an eye on.
Well, if Toho is leaving it to Legendary for the near future, and if Legendary continues making films in the tone and style of the wildly popular and successful GvK, then I just won't be watching any live action Godzilla for the short term. So I've got my fingers crossed on that curveball then!

Added in 2 minutes 11 seconds:
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:45 pm Toho or Legendary will have a film by 2024. There is no chance the miss the 70th anniversary.
Here's hoping it's Toho then come 2024! If they are aiming to do a Godzilla movie then, then we should expect an announcement with a year probably? Not sure what the most likely dates are to expect news.

Added in 1 minute 34 seconds:
vastatosaurus wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:53 am
Agreed. And I guess that will be Toho's spot. Cause every MV Godzilla movies took about 4 to 5 years to be released after their first announcement. In the other hand, Shin Godzilla was able to be released only two years after it had been announced.
That's good then, gives us a ballpark of when to expect a film should they announce one.

Added in 46 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:32 pm Probably not until late in this decade.
What makes you think that?

Added in 9 minutes 26 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:20 pm Godzilla is the signature tent pole of Japanese love action movies and Toho’s Treasure. When they stop making films like that, it’s the end of the Japanese film making medium.
I wouldn't say that's entirely true - they went about nine years between Terror of Mechagodzilla and The Return of Godzilla, and about 12 between Final Wars and Shin. And Japanese film making continued both times. Plus a film like Godzilla doesn't necessarily mean Godzilla himself.
Also, let’s not act like Toho isn’t making a live action monster flick now. They’re making Shin ultraman, which unfortunately will probably be delayed due to corona getting very bad in japan currently. It’s easy to imagine that had Toho been in the clear with legendary, that probably it could have been another Godzilla film.
Another reason to hope the arrangement between Toho and Legendary has or will change.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:37 pmI wouldn't say that's entirely true - they went about nine years between Terror of Mechagodzilla and The Return of Godzilla, and about 12 between Final Wars and Shin. And Japanese film making continued both times.
The gap between ToMG and RoG bears no relevance to this situation, though. The gap after GFW is more relevant because of its recency but still doesn't necessarily mean anything. The fact is that the Japanese film industry today is exceptionally different than it was in the '70s and '80s and even quite different than it was just 15 years ago.

Let's not forget to consider what effects a global pandemic might have on foreign film production. A lot of countries, including Japan, bank on Hollywood films. Obviously, the pandemic has slowed the production and release of those films; I don't believe Japan's industry is ready to step in to fill the gap. In other words, they're likely hurting far more than even Hollywood has for the past 18 months.

It might seem then that now's the right time for a big Godzilla movie to entice Japanese audiences, but big productions come with big risks, even in the best of times.

My point: The past doesn't really tell us anything valuable about what lies immediately ahead for Godzilla film production at Toho.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’d have some time to think about it and here are my thoughts now

I think due to the success of GvK, They’ll let legendary do more live action movies while Toho work on the animated side, like upcoming seasons of Singular Points
Spoiler:
Even though it’s not confirmed yet but there’s every sign that it will get another season Due to MechaGodzilla being revealed at the end
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:28 pm
Lesko wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:07 pm I think it'll be in a few years but even if it isn't give it a decade or so.
Read the opening post - I was asking more about this decade. Clearly they will make another Godzilla film this century, but will we see one in the next five or so years?

Added in 1 minute 29 seconds:
DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:00 pm I'd wager that we'll find out this year or next
Any idea when this year or next they're most likely to reveal that?
My rough estimation is around November this year but more likely next year but all I can say is that I'm exponentially more excited about a new Toho film than anything else.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Just discussed in another thread, but I feel live action is on the back burner right now because of the pandemic. I think we’ll get a Singular Point S2 and maybe even a Godzilla anime movie announcement. Anime stuff is much safer at the moment, especially in Japan where they’re struggling to get it under control.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If Toho makes another Godzilla film and have him fight a new monster, It's bound to be a virus-creature given the time we're in.