Anime Trilogy: what went wrong?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Anime Trilogy: what went wrong?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

This is a forum about the reasons on why The Anime Trilogy was underwhelming and fail to deliver.

Rule: I know this forum is more on the negative side but please be respectful to other opinions, no name calling and no flame wars

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Anime Trilogy: what went wrong?

Post by Gigantis »

... I'm pretty sure we have a thread like this that already exist.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Gigantis wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:50 pm ... I'm pretty sure we have a thread like this that already exist.
Crap maybe you’re right, i’m started to search on the same subject but i’m not that good of a finder. I’m sorry if a topic like this did exist
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Everything
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Nothing went wrong. Great films.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Anguirus wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:21 pm Nothing went wrong. Great films.
Ah, I see you’ve decided to browse TK now, Gen Orobuchi?
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

There were alot of things I would have done very differently but I can't really say it went "wrong" at least for me. I look at the new era of Godzilla using this analogy: MonsterVerse is Godzilla as a college final project done by a frat boy, shin is a final project done by a political science major, the anime trilogy is a final project done by a philosophy major, and finally sp is a final project done by a stem major.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:51 pm There were alot of things I would have done very differently but I can't really say it went "wrong" at least for me. I look at the new era of Godzilla using this analogy: MonsterVerse is Godzilla as a college final project done by a frat boy, shin is a final project done by a political science major, the anime trilogy is a final project done by a philosophy major, and finally sp is a final project done by a stem major.
You are giving SP and the anime trilogy a lot more credit than they deserve
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:51 pm There were alot of things I would have done very differently but I can't really say it went "wrong" at least for me. I look at the new era of Godzilla using this analogy: MonsterVerse is Godzilla as a college final project done by a frat boy, shin is a final project done by a political science major, the anime trilogy is a final project done by a philosophy major, and finally sp is a final project done by a stem major.
This is a really cool way to look at it. This new era really has been interestingly diverse, so far. Kind of what the Millennium Era billed itself as, but with actual commitment behind it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Fratboy seems unfair to MonsterVerse.
How about uh physical education student?
I'd agree with the fratboy analogy if Monsterverse was Michael Bay level of annoying action, characters, gross jokes and so on.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

I feel like they were more focused on the themes of the trilogy and made everything else an afterthought. They introduce so many ideas and concepts only to underutilize them. Characterization is minimal as most of the cast either add little to the overall narrative and don't develop. And Godzilla feels like a complete afterthought. He lacks any character and feels more like a plot device.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

JAGzilla wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:16 am
This is a really cool way to look at it. This new era really has been interestingly diverse, so far. Kind of what the Millennium Era billed itself as, but with actual commitment behind it.
Yes! I definitely feel like this is the potential we were promised with the Millennium Era and while that era produced some of my favorite films in the series, the films began to run together outside of GMK and GFW.
daveblackeye15 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:48 am Fratboy seems unfair to MonsterVerse.
How about uh physical education student?
I'd agree with the fratboy analogy if Monsterverse was Michael Bay level of annoying action, characters, gross jokes and so on.
Yeah fratboy was a bit unfair to the MV I'm peeved by the reworking of Godzilla's origin specifically how he wasn't woken up or mutated by nuclear weapons or nuclear testing (The one one good thing that Awakening added was that the bombing of Hiroshima is what woke Godzilla up) however on the whole I've greatly enjoyed the MV and GKOTM is probably in my top 5 Godzilla films so I am definitely a fan of the MV.

I'm really glad people like my anlogy!

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

I think the Anime trilogy suffered from not having endearing characters. I couldn't relate to Haruo so much.

I liked the interplay between the different species: Humans had drive and, for lack of a better term, heart; the Exif had devotion and presumed wisdom; the Belisoludo (sp?) had technology. I liked how they built tension between the Exif and Belisoludo's goals for humanity.

While typing this, I just noticed the human race were all victims! Victims of the Exif's agenda, the Belisoludo's technology, and ultimately victims of themselves (hubris and lack of concern for the effects of their development brought the Kaiju).

That's what I find un-relatable. Whenever I fall into a victim mentality, I work to overcome it. Humanity didn't have a chance to overcome their victimhood in this movie. Most Godzilla movies have a message of "Yes humans are deeply flawed, and create their own problems often, but we can learn from our mistakes and grow."

Overall, the thing that leaves a sour experience with the Anime trilogy is the lack of hope.
Last edited by JessIAm on Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I’m almost in a complete opposite opinion.. I think SP made the anime trilogy look better
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cookson wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:01 pm I’m almost in a complete opposite opinion.. I think SP made the anime trilogy look better
I don't really like either of them, and for very, very different reasons. So while I can't confidently say that I agree with this take, I think I will admit that some of the few good things in this trilogy have become more apparent to me since Singular Point's release.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Now we need the Godzilla films that are final projects done by History, Geography, English/Letters, and Theology majors.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Humans were boring and uninteresting. Dropped what the franchise is known for in favour of being "gritty" and "edgy". Wasted concepts that could have been done great in other hands. Ruined MechaGodzilla. Showed us a world that could be very interesting and did nothing with it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

These films were mired with ego-stroking and creative conflict courtesy of the writers from the get go. This is the Star Wars sequel trilogy of Godzilla.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

H-Man wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:35 am
Now we need the Godzilla films that are final projects done by History, Geography, English/Letters, and Theology majors.
That's all I need to pass my Godzilla college courses.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

goji89 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 pm That's all I need to pass my Godzilla college courses.
I herby bestow you an honorary degree in Godzillaology.

I think that's a really good take, at least that the films are varied enough in genre and tone. While I still dislike the nuclear messages in MV I have grown to appreciate how it's mostly consistent with a lot of environmental messages that have been prevalent throughout the franchise.

It's funny because regardless of how one feels about any of the Monsterverse/Reiwa entries, practically NONE of them feel or look the same, even within the Monsterverse. I'd take that variety over anything else.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.