I would really love to see a one off DAM remake

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

I would really love to see a one off DAM remake

Post by miguelnuva »

Wouldn't have to be shot for shot but I believe CGI would cut down some of the problems so that all the monsters could do something this time in the film.

DAM is held as the showa finale and big monster brawl but it feels like it was held back at the time.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Re: I would really love to see a one off DAM remake

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I honestly like the idea of revisiting past continuities and everyone is pretty doing it so I'm game.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I don't really see much of a point TBH. Eventually getting a full on DAM/Final Wars level monster romp again would be awesome, but just doing the same thing again would feel really weird and abrupt considering how Toho's main goal for the franchise at the moment is doing new stuff. Closest thing to a purpose a DAM remake would have is giving some of the other monsters some spotlight and maybe adding some other monsters who missed out the first time, but again.. you could just do that with a different movie.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:28 pm Wouldn't have to be shot for shot but I believe CGI would cut down some of the problems so that all the monsters could do something this time in the film.

DAM is held as the showa finale and big monster brawl but it feels like it was held back at the time.
Star Trek Remastered used CGI to replace all the space shots. They even matched the 1960's stars, which were more fuzzy and large than the stars in the background in Star Wars.

Of course, the classic Doctor Who's "cutting edge at the time but kind of cheesy now" special effects are part of the classic show's charm. I'd love to have the *option* of updated special effects, but still be able to see the original.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I'm gonna quote indie author William Cope on this:
Destroy All Monsters is, unfortunately, the Avengers: Endgame of Godzilla movies.
See cause once you get past the thrill of seeing all these larger than life characters you love come together and kill the biggest bad guy around, you have to realize that there’s not really any emotional resonance to the plot of this movie itself, and any feelings you have come solely from the movies you watched before.
I'm fine to a successor film but it would take a lot of effort that it might as well be a completely new movie with new plot and monster lineup.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dinoskell wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:52 pm I'm gonna quote indie author William Cope on this:
Destroy All Monsters is, unfortunately, the Avengers: Endgame of Godzilla movies.
See cause once you get past the thrill of seeing all these larger than life characters you love come together and kill the biggest bad guy around, you have to realize that there’s not really any emotional resonance to the plot of this movie itself, and any feelings you have come solely from the movies you watched before.
I'm fine to a successor film but it would take a lot of effort that it might as well be a completely new movie with new plot and monster lineup.
That's assuming you were never emotionally invested in the story telling aspects of the series. It's strange how despite coming out in 1967, the Godzilla franchise continued. :P
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Thing is I felt DAM didn't respect what came before: Mothra and Godzilla are locked up just like menaces. And we're shown Godzilla not even allowed to go swimming. Rodan doesn't get to do much, running like a coward. Other monsters going to the wayside makes sense but the big 3 felt disrespected to me.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Dinoskell wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:31 am Thing is I felt DAM didn't respect what came before: Mothra and Godzilla are locked up just like menaces. And we're shown Godzilla not even allowed to go swimming. Rodan doesn't get to do much, running like a coward. Other monsters going to the wayside makes sense but the big 3 felt disrespected to me.
Godzilla is rasing his Son amongst friends and Mothra agreeing to live with Godzilla is a big statment. That means Mothra was OK with leaving her child with her mother's killer.

That's a lot of subtle characters development.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think a DAM remake should be best left for the Monsterverse to handle.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:37 pm I think a DAM remake should be best left for the Monsterverse to handle.
The MV is not going to remake DAM, they'll just be using the name if they go that route.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:59 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:37 pm I think a DAM remake should be best left for the Monsterverse to handle.
The MV is not going to remake DAM, they'll just be using the name if they go that route.
You know what I mean. By remake, I do not mean direct, but rather like how GKOTM can be considered a remake of GTTHM.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:38 pm
You know what I mean. By remake, I do not mean direct, but rather like how GKOTM can be considered a remake of GTTHM.
Kotm is not a remake of GTTHM either. The closest MV film that was a remake is Godzilla vs Kong and that was loose as well.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:51 pm

Kotm is not a remake of GTTHM either. The closest MV film that was a remake is Godzilla vs Kong and that was loose as well.
Godzilla vs. Kong isn't telling remotely the same story as King Kong vs. Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 pmGodzilla vs. Kong isn't telling remotely the same story as King Kong vs. Godzilla.
Monke punch lizard, what else is there to know?
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^ Don't forget monke drink snek.

I would e totally down for a big monster mash movie similar to DAM in the Monsterverse. They have a heap of Titans they could use. Ghidorah would have to come back. I'd like it if they could at least work Anguirus in before that.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:24 pm

Godzilla vs. Kong isn't telling remotely the same story as King Kong vs. Godzilla.
I used loose simply for that fact that Godzilla is fighting Kong in both films.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:45 pm

By that standard, I'd say there's a lot more similarity between GtTHM and KotM '19 than between KKvsG and GvsK (not that I'd call it anything like a direct remake). At least in the case of both Ghidorah movies, the basic thrust of the movies remains "King Ghidorah will destroy the world unless other monsters team up and defeat him."
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 am

By that standard, I'd say there's a lot more similarity between GtTHM and KotM '19 than between KKvsG and GvsK (not that I'd call it anything like a direct remake). At least in the case of both Ghidorah movies, the basic thrust of the movies remains "King Ghidorah will destroy the world unless other monsters team up and defeat him."
That's any Godzilla movie where he fights Ghidorah. Kotm is as lose of a remake of GTTHM as it is Godzilla vs Gigan.

I don't consider any of the MV films remakes at all I was just telling LegendZilla the closest one you could probably say is Godzilla vs Kong because its the two if them fighting.

The whole argument is moot though because as I said none of them are remakes in the slightest.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:59 am
eabaker wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:01 am

That's any Godzilla movie where he fights Ghidorah. Kotm is as lose of a remake of GTTHM as it is Godzilla vs Gigan.

I don't consider any of the MV films remakes at all I was just telling LegendZilla the closest one you could probably say is Godzilla vs Kong because its the two if them fighting.

The whole argument is moot though because as I said none of them are remakes in the slightest.
Yeah, agreed that none of them are remakes in any meaningful sense. I'm just saying I'd place GvsK even farther from KKvsG than I would KotM from GtTHM because the characters' and the monsters' motivations and the overall theme are more distantly removed from those in the earlier work.

But, yeah, basically a moot argument. "Which of these is the more tenuous comparison" is not a very useful debate. ;)
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.