Should future Godzilla media explore the multiverse?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Should future Godzilla media explore the multiverse?

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:05 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:02 pm That means they can't talk or have relatable chemistry with one another to provide for a compelling story to work.
Well there's this too. It's easy to imagine plenty of different versions of Spider-Man and Batman meeting up and talking with each other, but when it comes to kaiju, body language can still only take you so far in a situation like this. And again, balancing all of them at once is a problem.
For what such a story may lack in the kaiju department for reasons I have stated, you can always make up for it in chemistry between human characters of different realities. There's a gold mine for potential chemistry for different people based on how they perceive and understand kaiju depending on what reality they're from.

For example, how will someone from the GMK Universe react to Ghidorah being a malevolent destroyer of worlds in every other reality? Or, how would someone like Miki Saegusa, the ultimate Godzilla sympathizer have a debate over handling Godzilla with let's say Akane from the Kiryu saga? Heck, what would G-Force personal from the Heisei timeline do if they encountered Goro Ibuki? Whatever chemistry between kaiju and their interdimensional counterparts that does work will just be the cherry on top.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I’d be down with a Godzillaverse styled event. I don’t think it needs every incarnation to be involved, but a couple major ones that could play off each other well (70’s, Heisei, Monsterverse or one of the Milleniums, Shin/Ultima), I feel something good can be done. Plus, the interest in the human interaction as mentioned before!
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

A Mothra multiverse event might be easier to build a storyline around I feel for some reason, with Godzilla guest starring just to being so important to each timeline.
...though I have proposed in the past the Hanna Barbara timeline might be the "good timeline" where Godzilla didn't get nuked and has a natural heat ray similar to Baragon uncorrupted by radiation.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

If Toho wants to use a multiverse as a marketing strategy, coming up with logos and branding for toys and other merchandise. Maybe do a tie in Manga where characters travel between realties with Godzilla, witness key events, interact with characters from previous films, maybe have a few of them join and travel with them. That could be interesting. But basing the whole franchise future around trying to create a multiverse out of everything done in the past is not going to end up well. You really can't do new films that will capture the look and feel of what came before.

Kamen Rider has done well with grouping it's riders into eras for cross over events, same with Sentai. They will bring up the past for nostalgia, but never try to recreate an old series, they always moving the brand forward. Ultraman has taken a diffrent approach where the Land of Light is kind of it's own unique place in a multiverse and the Ultramen can travel to different realties, so each show can take place on an Earth where all the other shows haven't happened, but can crossover when needed. Grouping the Ultraman into generations that help train and guide the newer generation of Ultramen. ​

I think as fans we would all love a series based on the wackiness of the closing credits of Godzilla SP. But I do like how Godzilla SP mines the nostalgia of the Godzilla franchise but bringing us something new.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

szmigiel wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:34 am But basing the whole franchise future around trying to create a multiverse out of everything done in the past is not going to end up well. You really can't do new films that will capture the look and feel of what came before.
Not to mention you'd be trying to hang your future on something that would become basically impenetrable to casual viewers after one or two entries.

If it were ever done as a movie, it would need to be a one-shot.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I would honestly prefer something like a game where it explores an alternate multiverse or something.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I respect that the Godzilla series thusfar hasn't really dipped into the multiverse well. Most multiverse stories are the same, just an excuse for cheap fanservice and manufactured excitement. I'd rather see the movies be good structurally before worrying about "ZOMG it's LEGENDARY GODZILLA teaming up with SHIN GODZILLA to fight an ARMY OF ZILLAS because the XILIENS are MESSING with the DIMENSIONAL RIFT!!!!!!!" or whatever.
The last thing I want or need to see is "Into the Godzillaverse."
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

If ya had to do it, I'd suggest looking at "The Star of Ultra" episode from Ultraman Tiga. Keep it very meta, but heartwarming. Nothing too literal, and keep the team-up brief. While that episode focused on Eiji Tsuburaya, Hajime Tsuburaya, & Tetsuo Kinjo, I can see a so-called "Godzilla Version" being about Ishiro Honda or Shinichi Sekizawa.

Since that Tiga episode blatantly said Godzilla & Mothra's name, well it wouldn't hurt to bring up Ultraman. :-P

Godzilla games & other media already feature different versions of characters meeting one another in the hands of a fan's own enjoyment. So I wouldn't waste time trying to make a multiverse "cohesive" (if the concept ever was in the start hahaha).

Instead, pay homage to the guys who created Godzilla beyond focusing on '54. Afterall, Showa Godzilla laid the groundwork that all Godzillas after him share a quality or G-trope with. Have a fun, imaginative reason for Showa Godzilla to appear and help whoever's the brand new Godzilla with the baddie. A team-up battle isn't necessary, just let the two take down the villain with a shared atomic breath attack. That alone would speak for itself.

Sure, Showa G had some pretty silly moments, but I think it'd be quite mature to acknowledge the hard work and passion that went into creating his 21-year legacy, as weird as it got. Having a meta story about guys like Sekizawa, Nakajima, and of course Honda would make the eventual shared scene of Newest Godziller & Showa G that much better. Sekizawa himself always put meta ideas into his Godzilla work anyway....KKvG, MvG, GvG....

Yeah, I feel like a literal multiverse isn't the way to go. For instance the ending credits of Singular Point is just a homage for fun.
Spoiler:
But I do suggest having Showa G throw a peace sign at the other Godzilla before he leaves ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:10 pm If ya had to do it, I'd suggest looking at "The Star of Ultra" episode from Ultraman Tiga. Keep it very meta, but heartwarming. Nothing too literal, and keep the team-up brief. While that episode focused on Eiji Tsuburaya, Hajime Tsuburaya, & Tetsuo Kinjo, I can see a so-called "Godzilla Version" being about Ishiro Honda or Shinichi Sekizawa.

Since that Tiga episode blatantly said Godzilla & Mothra's name, well it wouldn't hurt to bring up Ultraman. :-P

Godzilla games & other media already feature different versions of characters meeting one another in the hands of a fan's own enjoyment. So I wouldn't waste time trying to make a multiverse "cohesive" (if the concept ever was in the start hahaha).

Instead, pay homage to the guys who created Godzilla beyond focusing on '54. Afterall, Showa Godzilla laid the groundwork that all Godzillas after him share a quality or G-trope with. Have a fun, imaginative reason for Showa Godzilla to appear and help whoever's the brand new Godzilla with the baddie. A team-up battle isn't necessary, just let the two take down the villain with a shared atomic breath attack. That alone would speak for itself.

Sure, Showa G had some pretty silly moments, but I think it'd be quite mature to acknowledge the hard work and passion that went into creating his 21-year legacy, as weird as it got. Having a meta story about guys like Sekizawa, Nakajima, and of course Honda would make the eventual shared scene of Newest Godziller & Showa G that much better. Sekizawa himself always put meta ideas into his Godzilla work anyway....KKvG, MvG, GvG....

Yeah, I feel like a literal multiverse isn't the way to go. For instance the ending credits of Singular Point is just a homage for fun.
Spoiler:
But I do suggest having Showa G throw a peace sign at the other Godzilla before he leaves ;)
That gives me an idea. Since the Tiga episode you mentioned paved way for the Ultraman franchise going full multiverse, it did not happen immediately. Maybe the same thing could apply for Singular Point in which references to different realities start out as mere winks to the audience and over a course of several years, newer entries could take baby steps towards embracing the whole multiverse angle going forward.

Doing it all at once will come across as forced and is bound to turn a lot of people off.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I would say yes. I am sure other Godzilla media can do the multiverse stuff and make it more entertaining than the SP technobabble. It is also the perfect place to inject Spacegodzilla. In fact I was very disappointed with the anime trilogy not having Spacegodzilla because it hinted at many Godzillas and even Ghidorah himself was Godzilla at one point.