Godzilla: SP's Technobabble - Yay or Nay

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla: SP's Technobabble - Yay or Nay

Post by Cosbydaf »

It's the worst approach to "science talk" I've ever seen in a movie or tv show. I've never seen anything with this much exposition that left me feeling like I understood things *less* after the characters were done talking.
It made SP a chore to watch, and it didn't make up for it in other areas.

For people who say Season 2 would have less of this - Why would you assume that?
Last edited by Cosbydaf on Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Cosbydaf wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:33 am It's the worst approach to "science talk" I've ever seen in a movie or tv show. I've never seen anything with this much exposition that left me feeling like I understood things *less* after the characters were done talking.
It made SP a chore to watch, and it didn't make up for it in other areas.

For people who say Season 2 would have less of this - Why would you assume that?
Primarily because it was to set up this world but I personally don't think they're gonna do away with it because there's still some unexplained stuff that we didn't get a clear answer on.

bessantj
Ronin

Post by bessantj »

It was fine. It sounded mostly like gobbledy gook but t was entertaining enough gobbledy gook. In a TV series with a radioactive giant monster I can obviously suspend my disbelief so I'm fine with it.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

It was hit or miss for me. I was fine with the technobabble in of itself when it was used for major plot points and emphasized multiple times. However when they just did these one-off expository rants that are rarely or never touched upon again then no. It's like you are just given rapid fire technical information and don't even have time to process it and it's relevance to the plot until we move to the next plot segment.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Regarding specifically the literal walls of texting, I'm just glad they made it relevant in the end being the information conveyed in the song. While there is more than a fine argument that a better solution all around could have been made, but I think I would have a bigger issue with the texting scenes if they only ended up being purely exposition dumps. I feel that singular point is actually pretty good with bringing back seemingly meaningless plot points/elements/what have you, and making them narratively significant. That doesn't mean there aren't those that could be better, or aren't perfect, but considering how dense this show is I'm impressed. If anything, I do kind of wish this was spread out to a 26 episode season so we could have a little more time to breath and interact with these clearly interesting characters (or at the very least personalities).
He Jock it Made of Steel

Your Boy Leroy
Monsterland Worker

Post by Your Boy Leroy »

I’m on episode 10 or 11 right now, and I’ve no idea what’s what in this series. Granted, I don’t care very much for anime in general and its narrative style, and I wasn’t paying too much attention to what was going on when the monsters weren’t on screen. But oddly enough, all the techno-science bullshit hasn’t pissed me off. Bored me a little, yeah, but it hasn’t irritated me. The monsters are cool.

I’m one of the few on this board who hasn’t lavished praise upon Godzilla vs. Kong, and I’m probably one of the only ones here who really hates the film (not proud of it, either). So while I think that film is just way too dumbed down for its own good, I think this series is way too damn complicated for me to really enjoy. One I catch heat for expecting Citizen Kane (apparently), and one I’ll probably get called out for just “not understanding it”.

Didn’t mean to rant, and I’m not trying to start anything. I just…I don’t even know, man 😅

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

More thinking on it, and the more reasons I think I really don't mind SP's technobabble is because it really does remind me so much of 1950's monster movies. The constant throwing around of scientific nonsense is very reminiscent of films like Tarantula, Kronos and the Giant Claw, which did anything and everything they could to explain what was going on in a blank face, scientific "matter of fact" means. I guess if one isn't too used to this, it can be a turn away. But for myself (and I might be alone in this), it just felt very reminiscent of those films but taken even further due to the series being longer and needing more to explain than those films. Its still just a bunch of scientific nonsense and mumbo-jumbo for the sake of it, but the more I look back at it, the more I'm realizing that's the reason I'm 100% fine with it.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

The big problem I feel is it was was too spaced out so you forget previous points. And Mei doesn't ask questions that would make sense in order to delay surprises.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Well....as long as it's really important to the story, then I'm fine with it. But I guess they should have tone it down a bit.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Big BIG ol' YAY from me, the technobabble science was fantastic and among my favorite parts. It's complicated, but not hard to follow the logic of it - it's mind-bendy in all the ways I like. ^_^

GrandKingGidorah2001
Ronin

Post by GrandKingGidorah2001 »

Big YAY from me, I personally don't have a problem with it and I can say I actually loved the "technobable" part of the show.

But I get where others who don't get it or like it are coming from, I honestly hope they listen to that criticism for season 2, maybe tone it down a bit, or add more Kaiju action to even out the "technobable" to Kaiju action ratio. Or add a new everyman character who asks questions and has stuff explained in layman's terms, I initially thought Haberu would be this since he looks like the stereotypical "dumb" buff guy, but I was pleasantly surprised he was also smart, not super freaky smart like our two protagonists but still smart. And while I appreciate they subverted exceptions and tropes of the buff weight lifter being dumb, I can't help but think that if they did have him be the "dumb" everyman character who was a audience surrogate and has everything explained in basic "dumbed down" terms, the technobable complaints wouldn't be as common.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think the one dude, can't remember his name, the assistant dude could be that character in the future.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If there’s a season 2 they really need to tone it back a bit. Like the world is set up, now explain everything more clear in season 2. Make it about the red dust simply being that portal for these monsters….

I don’t mind it, but they do bounce around a bit too much from a basic scene followed up with a confusing science fictiony trying to explain scene. I love that Toho is trying different things, but man let’s settle it down and explain it more easily “for dummies”(thats not a diss) in season two.

My wife is watching this and enjoys the monster scenes and all that but as soon as they start talking science fictiony I can tell it takes her out of the story a bit.
Last edited by Cookson on Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Excelsior
GPN Volunteer

Post by Excelsior »

A bit of babble is expected in a series like this, but SP drowned in it by the end. They could have trimmed it down significantly and lost no ground. I found the Otaki personnel to be far more interesting than the Archetype researchers, and I hope they're fleshed out further in season 2.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:29 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:24 pm I think it’s alright. If this is the direction SP is going in they should definitely tone it all down for a potential second season.

Also, the “pseudoscience” isn’t actually pseudoscience. It may sound like it a helluva lot, but it’s not. Hell, I’m pretty sure the science in the series is a simplified version.
It's as "simplified" as radiation = mutation and mutation = giant monsters. It may have a footing in actual theoretical physics, but I'm 100% sure NONE of those theories has anything to do with a giant, evolving monster that spews death rays and is flanked by flocks of flying reptiles, sea monsters, ogres and spider things.
I say Yay, BTW.

All the stuff about archetypes and singular points boils down to: Magical red dust that allows animals to be the size of Kaiju with the abilities of Godzilla. The magical red dust arrives in our 3d physical reality through singular points (which comprise of one small vein of ore in Japan, and Kaiju).

From a mathematical point of view, Singular Points in hyperspace actually make sense.

I have a degree in math and another degree in computer science, so I may be biased.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

It made the show better. But still as in the anime trilogy Godzilla was replaceable.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

When you have so much exposition you have to relegate some of it to scenes of the characters texting each other for minutes on end, something has gone horribly wrong and you need to go back to the drawing board.

There are so many entertaining ways to get scientific concepts across to the audience that doesn’t involve the characters blabbing about it for 6 hours. Remember when DNA was a foreign concept to 99% of people back in the 90’s, but then Jurassic park explained it within a minute using Mr DNA? And how Loki is using Mrs Minutes to explain alternate reality time stuff in really short amounts of time?

Brevity is the soul of wit and Singular Point isn’t very witty.
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:22 pm
Moth wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:03 pm Wow, this thread is totally not made to bait people into arguments and disputes over this hot topic issue! We totally need more discourse in this fandom! /s
Or it was made to bait people into a debate and voice their opinion...? It is the internet, my man.
Posting positive opinions about SP = discussion
Posting negative opinions about SP = baiting and toxicity

We’ve had several threads on the MV forum that were a lot more toxic than this one was, be grateful you guys don’t have to deal with threads like “I never wanna see Toho do Godzilla ever again” or “I want the Reiwa era cancelled”
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:28 pm
We’ve had several threads on the MV forum that were a lot more toxic than this one was, be grateful you guys don’t have to deal with threads like “I never wanna see Toho do Godzilla ever again” or “I want the Reiwa era cancelled”
Well duh. Toho can do no wrong and is free to experiment and mess with the character to points it changes everything the character stood for in 1954. But as soon as another company does it or changes something... Hell fire and brimstone. That's why its okay for 70s Godzilla to be a nuclear powered guardian (virtual superhero) that defends the Earth from threats but its not okay for MV Godzilla to be a nuclear powered guardian (that's not a virtual super hero) that defends the Earth from threats.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:01 am That's why its okay for 70s Godzilla to be a nuclear powered guardian (virtual superhero) that defends the Earth from threats but its not okay for MV Godzilla to be a nuclear powered guardian (that's not a virtual super hero) that defends the Earth from threats.
No, the problem with KotM has always been that the filmmakers allow their characters to use a nuclear weapon for good. It's not even treated as a necessary evil.

That has never happened in a Toho Godzilla film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Terasawa wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:21 am No, the problem with KotM has always been that the filmmakers allow their characters to use a nuclear weapon for good. It's not even treated as a necessary evil.

That has never happened in a Toho Godzilla film.
Yeah, instead we get "Oh no, a couple bombs only hurt Godzilla instead of killing him. Guess it's time to nuke Tokyo." Which is just as bad in the complete opposite direction.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma