Singular Point - Kaiju Design Discussion Thread (FULL SPOILERS!)

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Singular Point - Kaiju Design Discussion Thread (FULL SPOILERS!)

Post by Shenanigans »

Open the floodgates!

Also, FULL SPOILERS IN THIS THREAD! Nothing off-limits. You've been warned...

Now that Singular Point's first season has officially wrapped up, I figured now's as good a time as any to create a thread specifically to discuss the kaiju and their designs in the series. This has already proven to be a lively topic in other threads, and I'm curious to know what others think of all the kaiju designs now that we've had a chance to see how they are executed in the series itself. For instance, I was skeptical of the Jet Jaguar Prototype design at first, but I've absolutely fallen in love upon seeing it in action, so I want to know if others have had similar changes of heart or if first impressions have stuck. Did some of them win you over or are they GINO-level quality?

Our final roster looks something like this, might be some mistakes and quite a few of these guys have different forms. Mods, feel free to edit this list, I haven't watched the full series yet.

Most have profiles on the site.

- Godzilla Ultima (Aquatilis, Amphibia, Terrestris)
- Jet Jaguar (Prototype, Beta)
- Rodan (Juvenile, Adult)
- Anguirus
- Manda
- Salunga
- Kumonga (Kamanga, Hanenga, Zenbunga)
- Meganulon
- Mechagodzilla

So as I mentioned, I haven't seen the series in its entirety yet, but I have seen roughly the first half and some of the later episodes. Based on what I've seen, though, here are some thoughts -

Jet Jaguar – The "Prototype" Jet Jaguar didn't really hit home for me when Bandai's figure was revealed. The stubby legs and gangly, floppy-looking arms just threw me for a loop given how humanoid his 1973 design was. Yet, seeing it in motion made me realize how utterly perfect it is for a character as campy as Jet. That "awkwardness" that initially turned me off is a highlight that wonderfully fits this take on the character, especially since he moves as awkwardly as he looks, bobbing around a bit. Not to mention his “Beta” upgrade miraculously makes him look more badass, more akin to his original design, and retains some of that awkwardness. I could probably gush over the design and the execution of the character for hours here; I’ve always loved Jet Jaguar and wanted a return, and I must say, I could not be happier with how the series handled him. I always felt he was worth of being a main character. They positively nailed it.

Godzilla – I'm not a big fan of his earlier forms, both in designs and the overall idea behind them. I must admit that it was rather surreal for them to turn Godzilla into a big fish that gradually evolves - and that was in 2016. Certainly wasn't prepared to see it twice. It was unique and fascinating then - not sure I feel the same way again. As for the designs themselves, they’re not bad, per say, they’re just a bit too “out there”. Terrestris in particular looks really bleh to me (yet looks much better in the profile artwork). I also don’t care much for taking unique attributes of other separate, memorable Godzilla characters (Titanosaurus, Varan, Gorosaurus) and slapping them onto Godzillas. You can argue it’s a neat way to pay homage to those characters, but I'd argue that a better way to do that would be to actually do something new with the actual characters in question. All that being said, Ultima has actually grown on me a lot more than I would've thought. It certainly will not be making my list of favorite Godzilla designs by any means, but its not as awful as some of those earlier pics made it look. Works well in context, I think. Still, the mouth has taken (and is still taking?) some getting used to.

Rodan – No.

Anguirus – Yes! Kickass design, and there doesn't seem to be mush disagreement there. After Rodan you’d think they’d turn Angy into a big Ankylosaur, but instead created the best Anguirus design since 1968. I love the giant spikes, I love the little “flaps” near his back legs that pay homage to the flaps the 1955 design was supposed to have. Beautiful design and my favorite aside from Jet Jaguar. I only wish he lasted longer…

Manda – I actually like Manda. I can actually appreciate the idea of trying to make him more than the Eastern dragon/snake he usually is by adding various fish-like attributes. It works because its still relatively simple, like it could almost be a real sea creature - a weird one, but there's no shortage of weird-ass fish in the ocean. Solid redesign in my book.

Salunga – Another winner. I truly love this guy, he looks badass. The eyes are truly creepy, as is his utter refusal to die. My main gripe is the name, as he should’ve been called “Gabara”. For an “original kaiju”, he simply borrows too many elements from Gabara and Baragon for my tastes; take those elements away and there isn’t much left. But it seems that they’re trying to establish him as a sort of “successor” to Gabara, especially since I hear they gave him electricity powers, so its not exactly like they're trying to really distinguish him from Gabara. Names issues aside, the design itself as a kaiju is pretty freakin' sweet.

Kumonga (Kamanga/Hanenga/Zenbunga) – Meh. They're a bit overdesigned; arguably, most of the kaiju in the series are, but Kumonga in particular feels a bit too over-the-top. Like the Godzilla forms, they also “borrowed” unique elements from other kaiju - perhaps too many. For starters, there's probably more Megalon elements than Kumonga. Not to mention the Hedorah-goo in them. They are creepy, I'll give 'em that, but I still prefer the big ol' spider from the movies. Of course, you can make my Manda argument and say giving him all these new elements makes the design stand out more, which I won’t deny. But it works for Manda in a way that doesn’t for Kumonga. Kumonga just feels too "busy".

Can't judge the finale characters yet. But ultimately I find myself liking more designs than not. Jet Jaguar, Manda, and Ultima won me over despite some initial reservations, but not all of them could do the same. What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Shenanigans on Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: Singular Point - Kaiju Design Discussion Thread (FULL SPOILERS!)

Post by Jermobooka »

Jet Jaguar- Love it in its entirety, especially the upgraded version(s). SP JJ being based off of older anime mecha (I.E. Mazinger Z and Tetsujin 28-Go) instead of a toku hero or a modern real robot is very creative and fits damn well.

Godzilla- Aqualitus I don’t give a shit about, and neither Amphibia. Terrestris is pretty neat. Now, Ultima has breached my top five favorite Godzilla designs list. It’s incredibly unique, creative, and badass all at the same time. Especially love the red accents on his spines.

Rodan- bruh

Anguirus- Best Anguirus design ever and none of you can change my mind. It’s so. Damn. Good. Hope Angy returns for the potential Season 2!

Manda- Pretty near reimagining. Can’t really say much because, well, I don’t really give a damn about Manda

Salunga- Yet another fantastic design. Combining Gabara, Baragon, and Mandrill features into one great kaiju was something I never knew I needed.

Kumonga- I actually really love how Kumonga is a fusion between Kumonga and Megalon (+ Gigan). Makes for very unique takes on the, admittedly, very bland kaiju.

Meganulon- as lame as ever

Mechagodzilla- From what we’ve seen so far? Pretty great. Though I can’t really judge it all that well as of now.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Godzilla: not a huge fan of Aquatilis or Amphibia as we don't see them a whole lot and are moreso there for the fan service. The Terrestrial (Gorosaurus) design goes towards the right direction as it reminded me of Showa Goji or of Godzillasaurus in the Heisei era. Ultima is y far the best Godzilla design here. To mean it looks like a combination of Heisei Godzilla with Shin proportions. Not my favorite design but solid.

Anguirus: very solid design especially when Anguirus is in motion. Reminds me a lot of the concept art for the draft phase of GMK. Gives Anguirus a stance more in line with an Ankylosaurus than say a lizard.

Rodan: pretty ugly design reminiscent of Heisei Rodan. Didn't wow me like the design of 2019 Rodan.

Salunga: fantastic redesign of Gabara. My favorite design in this series by far.

Jet Jaguar: second favorite redesign behind Gabara. First few forms a little awkward but by the end of the show they really nailed it. Great thing for Jet Jaguar fans.

Manda: no real comments. Follows FW Manda with some minor alterations.

Kumonga: same as Manda

Meganulon: kept it to the OG. Passable.

Mechagodzilla: very excited to see this design in motion come Season 2.

Exciting things are coming!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I actually like all Godzilla's forms though Aquatilis is arguably the weakest. Terrestris I thought was an interesting design but he's even better executed in the show itself. Same goes for Ultima actually. He really needs to be seen in action to be fully appreciated. Ultima isn't a top 5 favorite design or anything but the anime sold him much better than the promo art ever could.

As for Manda and Kumonga I can understand some of the criticisms but at the same time I respect their attempts at making them stand out and be a bit more unique, as they're pretty simple characters in concept. A little too simple some could argue. Manda comes off a bit better as he's technically a sea serpent at heart and SP simply took the concept and ran with it. The Kumonga could have easily been its own character and few would have complained. Not sure why they just didn't.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Moth
Gotengo Officer

Post by Moth »

Salunga takes a dump on every "new" monster since Biollante as a better design than any of them. Sorry gorilla with a mammoth head, we have this absolute CHAD.

Rodan.... Has grown on me a ton, but it's not a favorite unlike Anguirus' design.

Jet's design slaps, I adore it to death.

I appreciate Manda too, I just don't have much to say on it.

Ultima is the best Godzilla has looked since 1999.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Godzilla Ultima: Honestly, I'm not a big fan. The dinosaur feet, tiny torso, and shovel jaw ruin it. The only parts I really like are the upper head and tail.
Godzilla Aquatilis: He looks great but he should've just been called Titanosaurus.
Godzilla Amphibia: Unlike his predecessor, Amphibia looks just different enough from Varan to be forgivable.
Godzilla Terrestris: My personal favorite of the Godzilla forms. I like his texture, proportions, and face much more than Ultima's.

Jet Jaguar: I like the more mechanical direction they went here. I wish they kept the Harvey waist design for Beta/Z/PP, though.
Rodan: The pterosaur-like design didn't appeal to me at first but they've grown on me quite a bit, especially the second-form.
Anguirus: I absolutely adore this design and consider it the best Anguirus. Only nitpick is that the fangs could be a bit longer.
Salunga: Like Aquatilis, I find his design to be great but not befitting of having a new design.
Manda: I'm of mixed opinion. The idea of the redesign is neat and I like how they did the body but I'm not the biggest fan of how its head looks.
Kumonga: They really should've been called Megalon. The variants are cool but I wish Kamanga's claws were just a bit smaller.
"Giant silkworm moths": I think they might be my favorite Mothra design put on the screen. Not sure if they beat the Mothra vs Bagan concept art, though.
Mechagodzilla: I love what they've shown so far. The knuckle missiles are a nice touch and the bones sticking out looks cool.

Game2021
Young Farmer

Post by Game2021 »

People are saying Terrestris looks like Gorosaurus, and while I can see why, I think that form looks more like Zilla.

And Meganulon's bio should be up next week, right?
Last edited by Game2021 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Game2021 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:22 pm People are saying Terrestris looks like Gorosaurus, and while I can see why, I think that form looks more like Zilla.

And Meganulon's bio should be up next week, right?
Maybe. It would be a bit strange to give an entire slot to a monster that appears for a few seconds in the last episode and doesn't have much impact on the plot.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Eel221
GPN Volunteer

Post by Eel221 »

Can't really say anything about Rodans. Pterosaurs be pterosaurs. Same with Anguirus, he's just spiky and cool. Meganulon is just a more "realistic" take on the showa design, that's also cool.

Jet Jaguar - while his first form's design was meh, the second and third forms were an improvement. JJ's second form was interesting due to his tripod stance on wheels.

Salunga's design is really solid, but it looks like Gabara a little bit too much. I really like how he can lift his lips in a gelada-esque matter, made him look really pissed off in the scene where he broke into Shiva. Wish we saw Sarnga fighting other monsters, cause in movement this design shines.

Not really a fan of Manda's insectoid legs and shark-like face. Still a refreshing design.

There was no real reason in making Godzilla's forms look like pre-existing monsters, except for selling toys. Oh well, too late to whine about that. Certainly not a fan of Aquatilis' and Amphibia's pot bellies. Aquatilis could've benefited from a more smooth body shape and a proper dorsal fin, like something that OG Titanosaurus or marlins have.

Terristris could have been a very great design, but his swollen shoulders and weird eye placement make him look simply good. Doesn't help that during his screentime they were rather stiff. With closed mouth his weird eye placement doesn't look so bad, even awesome in this scene:

At first I was sceptical about Ultima's design, especially his legs, as if Toho forgot how to give Godzilla decent legs. But with time passing and me seeing Ultima in action, I grew fond of his design.

Kumonga's new design is rather strange, as if someone sadistic multitated a pack of Megalon and glued them back together as this spider entity. It doesn't really look like Kumonga and it doesn't really look like Megalon, it looks like a transitional form between them. A form of mimicry perhaps? Still an interesting design, repeating my words above.

Can't say i'm impressed with Hanenga, Kamanga and Zenbunga, due to them being just copypastes of Kumonga with different claws, some having wings and some having both of those accessories. But it's a colonial insect monster, it would make sense for them to look simliar. Perhaps they even have a queen... also why they have hedorahs inside? :)

Mechagodzilla seems to be promising

Conclusion - Singular Point is a very experimental series, both story and design wise. So far no design has disappointed me, just... confused.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:54 pm He really needs to be seen in action to be fully appreciated.
Will have to disagree. All he's done is walk around and fire his atomic breath, like usual for the Reiwa era.

Added in 1 minute 3 seconds:
Also, the CG model looks worse than Yuji Kaneko's reveal art. Same with Manda, really.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

In no particular order..

Rodan: Sucks. Seriously, he's the only redesign in this entire thing i don't like, and might honestly be the biggest negative point in this entire show. He's too tiny, to much like an actual Pteranadon to stand out as something really Rodan looking, and is just plain ugly. The Tengu variant is.. better but not too much on an improvement.

Anguirus: I'll admit they could've toned down the spikes with him a tad, but beyond that, he looks great! I love how well the red brown and yellow colors mixes together on him and he has a really menacing face.

Manda: This honestly might be my favorite version of the character, no joke. It's just perfect in every way, and a nice update for a monster we haven't seen since 2004. I especially like his red highlights and the tone of green he has on his skin, all very lovely. Looks like something to actually be scared of compared to the other versions, which, to be honest, aren't the menacing.

The Arachnid Cinco (Kumonga, Kamanga, Hanega and Zenbunga): Decided to put all these guys into one category. Putting Megalon's face on top of Kumonga was kinda weird, but i like him overall. Making him taller made him more of a threat, and the blue Hedorah goop was a pretty good tribute. Can't say much on KMZ other than they look fine too.

Jet Jaguar: I didn't like him at first with his rather tiny legs, but WOOO BOY his constant updates made up for it! I still prefer his original Showa version but this turned out to be a really great update on the character after too long on an absence. Also, the glowing blue eye's is awesome.

Salunga: Scaley Monke.. but seriously, he's amazing. I do think they could've done a tad better job of making him stand out from Gabara like maybe changing his skin from green to blue or something, but i don't really even care about that, he's AMAZING. I think a huge chunk of that has to do with his teeth. Stuff like him makes me wish other monkey's and apes were used for monsters in fiction, not just gorilla's, because then we'd have more stuff like this!

Godzilla Aquatilis: Meh. He's fine enough, but i don't really care much about him. He's a neat nod to Titanosaurus, but he's not much beyond that really.

Godzilla Amphibia: That last part of his name still reminds me of the Disney cartoon.. anyway, he's my least favorite of the four Godzilla's. Again, nice nod to Varan but.. his face looks weird. At certain angles he looks less like a reptile and more like a decaying elephant seal. His ice vapor ray is cool though.

Godzilla Terrestilis: Second favorite of the bunch! Everything about his design just screams "awesome", and is also a really good shout out to Gorosaurus (and Zilla?) to boot. Also, something about those eye's are.. really creepy. In that good Shin Godzilla way.

Godzilla Ultima: I was iffy on him at first.. oh man, i'm totally in love with him now. I don't really even care if he's the chunkiest Godzilla next to Earth, he's far and away the best Godzilla design in the entire Reiwa Era so far, and one of my favorites in general. I especially love his Biollante esc. mouth (maybe that and the plants are some hint of foreshadowing..) and how much he reminds me of the Millennium designs. Best design in the entire show next to Salunga!

Mechagodzilla: I'm gonna need to see more of him, but i like it so far. Looks like they're trying to update the Showa design for him, and they're doing it in a good way.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla – Ugly, but at least respectful to the character. In his fourth form anyway. (3/10)

Titanosaurus - I guess he's Godzilla now? You're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one. Either Godzilla looks like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid for some dumbass reason, or Titanosaurus is now an ugly mosasaur that barely resembles the character. (1/10)

Varan - See Titanosaurus. The same problems apply. (1/10)

Gorosaurus - See Varan and Titanosaurus. The same problems apply. (1/10)

Rodan - I think Land Before Time's Petrie the Flyer was a more faithful redesign of Rodan than this lazy fucking mess. (Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit, but it still sucks.) (1/10, for the juvenile) (2/10, for the adult)

Jet Jaguar - Hey, finally a redesign that's actually decent! Well... the upgraded version, anyway. (6/10)

Anguirus - Another okay redesign, albeit one that's a bit overdesigned and takes way too many ideas from Deviant Art. Still, could be worse. (7/10)

Gabera- oh, sorry, I mean, Salunga - If it's a new monster, then he's alright. If it's Gabera then... he's alright? I would have preferred a flatter face and some orange fur, but it's not like the original Gabera had a great design anyway. (5/10)

Manda - I'm stilled pissed off at what they did to Manda, but comparing him to some of the other awful redesigns, he could be worse, I guess. Maybe I'm just at the "bargaining" stage in the five stages of grief, I dunno. Fuck this show, man. Fuck this show... (4/10)

The Unholy Abomination Born From Kumonga, Kamacurus, Megalon, Gigan and Hedorah's Orgy Night - Fuck this. (0/10)

Mechagodzilla - What kind of bizarro timeline am I living in where the Singular Point incarnation is good but the Monsterverse version isn't? :dizzy: (8/10)
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

it seems a lot of people don't like the Rodan design. I think it's fine.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Spuro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:59 am

Anguirus - Another okay redesign, albeit one that's a bit overdesigned and takes way too many ideas from Deviant Art. Still, could be worse. (7/10)
What do you mean by taking ideas from deviantart? If overdesigned it looks like the type of overdesigning you'd see in a high-quality videogame...but deviantart does have a lot of high quality portfolios by people who work on that stuff.

Anyway.. to my thoughts. Rodan I feel wasn't weird enough in hindsight, and should have added more features that make you go "wait a minute" if you know pterosaurs. I used to love the designs for it, but growing more cold.

I like how Anguirus homaged old suitmation. The front and back feet being so different was an homage to how the feet were different on the original suit. And the waving

The Kumonga....why are they different species rather than castes? If they were different species they should likely be fighting eachother. I felt the overuse of Megalon elements was confusing and wish Toho hadn't likely forced references in. Still it is way more a Kumonga than a Megalon, so they picked the right name between the two .
The Gigan homage ones, I feel their hammer claws were too large.
I don't understand including structures that look like drills or saws if they don't get to use them as such.
Still this does open the door for more fun Kumonga redesigns in the future! Perhaps an aquatic Kumonga like the diving bell spider.

I'm honestly getting a little tired of arthropod monster legs ending in points rather than feet like you know, actual insects have. But that's an industry wide problem.

I LOVE the centipede influence for Manda, and would like a more conventional reptilian Manda to have a similar silhouette/bodyplan. The osteoderms are also cool.

Inferno Rodan
Futurian

Post by Inferno Rodan »

Godzilla - I hate all of them. I hate Ultima less than the other three, but his lower jaw being wider than his head looks really goofy and his leg proportions are utterly ridiculous. I adore Heisei Godzilla's thiccness and even I think Ultima's thighs are absurd. I also just hate the entire concept of Godzilla evolving like a Pokémon, so there's that too.

Jet Jaguar - Prototype with the stubby legs looked awful, but once it got proper legs it looked good. The arms and hands are a bit wonky, but I can live with them.

Rodan - I despise everything about this Rodan. It's bad enough that the designs themselves for both forms are incredibly lazy, but the fact that they basically just turned Rodan into a Heisei Gyaos knockoff in terms of behavior just makes it 10x worse. And then they add insult to injury by finally having a single, giant Rodan show up... only to get instantly killed in literally like 10 seconds without doing anything at all.

Anguirus - I LOVE this Anguirus. He looks freaking awesome, and is pretty much exactly what I wanted to see out of a modern, not-restricted-by-suitmation version of the character. A shame they killed him off even though he did literally nothing wrong.

Manda - It's okay. I'd like it a lot more if not for a weird insectoid arms.

Salunga - Very cool. I like the idea of essentially blending other kaiju together to make a new one, and Salunga pulls it off very nicely.

Kumonga - Ugh. I'm so torn on this one. Purely on the design alone, I absolutely love it. But then they had to call it Kumonga, which ruins it for me. If they'd pulled a Salunga and made it be its own new kaiju instead, it would probably be my favorite monster in the series.

Meganulon - Looks fine I guess. From what we can see during their miniscule screentime, they basically look the same as the Showa version. So yeah.

Mechagodzilla - I dig it.
"The rantings of an upjumped zealot make for tedious listening." - Grigori, Dragon's Dogma

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Godzilla: I'm not sold on the protoforms still (idk if I just don't like the fusion aspect or the designs themselves but they're ok. Terrestrias is my favorite because it's more of its own weird Godzilla then just Gorozilla) but I LOVE Ultima. It looks like MosuGoji and Shin fused and as someone who lists those in his favorite Godzilla designs, I adore it.

Rodan: hm. I don't actually mind the new swarm role, mostly because I love the "swarm of smaller ravenous kaiju" trope but none of those forms have been my fave. I do like the Juvenile though.

Jet Jaguar: literally flawless. From intentionally dumpy to legitimately cool, I love this remake, especially combined with his character.

Salunga: eh? I think he's a very cool kaiju but I'm still not sold on him, for some reason. After that finale, I'm definitely liking him more.

Anguirus: THE BEST BOY GETS THE BEST REDESIGN, HE BETTER BE BACK FOR SEASON 2.

Manda: my least favorite. Not weird enough to be a memorable take on Manda and not traditional enough to be am accurate retool. It also doesn't help they do fuck and all in the show.

Kumonga and his extended family: delightfully horrific, I think this might be my fave gonzo take on a kaiju SP has given us. I really hope Kamanga takes off after this, I'd love to see more of her, she's a legitimate threat (and I know we have no pronouns but fuck it, I decide)

Mothra: adorable and beautiful. Wish they went all the way and finally did my idea of a Shin Mothra that's a whole swarm of moths acting as one individual

Meganulon: ironically the least changed design. Nice to see them as someone who loves these weird bugs, especially the parasite route they go with.

Mechagodzilla: Toho really had to flex on Legendary after they redesigned Mechagodzilla by PEFECTLY updating the 70s look, huh? I love it, King shit.

RIP Evan.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Singular Point’s designs are some of my favorites for all of the kaiju involved, except Rodan, but I still like SP Rodan’s design. Watching the actual show made me like them a lot.

Ultima’s in my top 10, maybe 5, favorite Godzilla designs.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Godzilla Ultima 9/10
- Incredible. I think the first full-body image of this design threw a lot of people off, with its dinosaur-like stance. To me, this Godzilla is very faithful and is extremely interesting to look at, even if it moves similarly to Shin and 54. I LOVE the coloration, fangs, and foreword-facing dorsal fins. The ONE thing I don't like is the "I-just-got-my-wisdom-teeth-removed-and-my-lower-cheeks-are-swollen-bottom-jaw".
(Aquatilis (6/10), Amphibia (9/10), Terrestris (7/10))
- I love all of these designs. Some people cannot grasp the fact that these designs are not meant to be new iterations of past characters, and are their own stand alone things (like Salunga and the whole Gabara thingy, but I'll get to that later). I feel that by making these designs have traits from a few other monsters makes them more interesting an appealing to look at. For me, they only get cooler to look at as they evolve. Am I disappointed that the monsters that these forms are based off of may not make it into the show? Yes. Do I love them anyways, accept that they aren't who they look like, and find them interesting? Yuppers!
Jet Jaguar (Prototype (6/10), Beta (8/10))
- I think both designs are solid updates to the character, but I find them to be a bit too clunky for my taste.
Rodan (Juvenile (7/10), Adult (8/10))
- For the J-form, I kinda find it a bit too goofy looking, and that's such a shame because I love the vibrant color scheme. I wish we had wayyyyy more vibrantly coloured kaiju. As for the adult form, idk why but I love seeing Rodan as both a pterosaur, and a suit-like creature, so since this design took inspiration from both kinds, I really love it.
Anguirus (7/10)
- I don't have much to say for this guy, it's surly Anguirus, and I think it looks super cool! I think the back-spines could've been toned down abit, but thats such a nitpick to me that it doesn't really effect my thoughts.
Manda (9/10)
- Manda, for me, is kinda in a similar spot as Rodan. I love past incarnations, and even with this one's changes, I love this one too. Theres something about making the design more bug-like that makes Manda super interesting to me (I'm starting to see a trend here lol). Simply put, I love my sea-snake, and I love my sea-bug-snake.
Salunga (8/10)
- Alright, we're at the thingy. When Salunga was confirmed as a new monster, I was abit confused. The creators have stated that they injected bits of Baragon and Gabara into their design, and I think it honestly works. Salunga's design is still imposing to me, especially when its lips are curled up. I suppose the designs does loose some originality points for me, as does Godzilla's forms, but I still don't take issue with the obvious snatching of characteristics. I wouldn't say the creators "ripped-off" Gabara or Baragon as that seems harsh, but they definitely borrowed alot. That fact is unavoidable.
Kumonga (Kamanga, Hanenga, Zenbunga) (All 7/10)
- Okay, okay, okay.... S.P Kumonga looks NOTHING like our friendly neighborhood spider, and for some reason I'm totally okay with it. I feel like this design is both super interesting, and I have fun when pointing out and realizing all of the little nuances and references hidden within the design. I find the fact that its essentially a hybrid between Kumonga, Gigan, Kamacuras, and a hint of Hedorah, pretty neat. While it may not be the Kumonga we all know and possibly love, I think seeing something super different is pretty cool, especially when the monster at hand boils down to something so simple... "giant spider". The new complexity of the design is very exciting to me.
Meganulon (???)
Currently... idk what to rank this design. Its just the Showa Meganulon design, which I love, but I find it hard to rank a new design of something if it's not really a "new design". I'll just say that I like it, and I'll move on for now.
Mechagodzilla (6/10)
- I just gotta see it fully completed. I love the Showa MG design, so my hopes are high.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Titanosaurus - I guess he's Godzilla now? You're kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place with this one. Either Godzilla looks like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid for some dumbass reason, or Titanosaurus is now an ugly mosasaur that barely resembles the character. (1/10)

Nope, no rock and a hard place here. Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus aren't in the show. Godzilla, in its first form, does in fact look like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid. For a creative reason. Whether this reason is "creative (as in its good)" is up to whomever's opinion, but the choice its self was just a creative decision. They just chose to make it that way.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

phillipw1954 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:35 pm

Nope, no rock and a hard place here. Titanosaurus, Varan, and Gorosaurus aren't in the show. Godzilla, in its first form, does in fact look like a fish/Titanosaurus hybrid. For a creative reason. Whether this reason is "creative (as in its good)" is up to whomever's opinion, but the choice its self was just a creative decision. They just chose to make it that way.
Okay, so instead of a shitty Titanosaurus/Varan/Gorosaurus design that barely resembles the character, it’s a shitty Godzilla design that doesn’t remotely resemble the character (minus Gorozilla). That isn’t an improvement. Arguably it’s worse.

Which was the rock and hard place I’m referring to. They can’t win with those designs unless they make them new monsters entirely (though Gorozilla would make an okay Minilla/Jr type of character).
phillipw1954 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:49 pm
Spuro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:34 am
eMJayHaych wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:12 am

They certainly looked like the showa Meganulon at least! Hopefully they get to keep the name too.
Talking about the supposed Kumonga in Singular Point. ;)
They still turned out to be our lovable spider kaiju. The design doesn't matter here, they're supposed to be good ole Kumonga.

Do you consider this to be Kumonga too? Because they’re almost the exact same design.
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.