Boss Coffee Commercial/Commercials Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Boss Coffee Commercial/Commercials Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Right now we'll just call this the Boss Coffee Commercial Thread, but in the future if there's more Godzilla Commercials we can just place them here.

Recently there's been another commercial utilizing Godzilla. You get a cool shot of 54 using a blue beam at the end:
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Boss Coffee Commercial/Commercials Thread

Post by GigaBowserG »

Seeing the recreated G1954 suit running around, however briefly, felt extremely nostalgic. It hurts a little bit knowing the man in suit style is not something to expect from future Godzilla movies, seeing it combined with modern special effects like this would be magical.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GigaBowserG wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:05 am Seeing the recreated G1954 suit running around, however briefly, felt extremely nostalgic. It hurts a little bit knowing the man in suit style is not something to expect from future Godzilla movies, seeing it combined with modern special effects like this would be magical.
I mean, there's always the Ultraman television stuff, not Godzilla but still. And the Goji CG stuff is looking pretty good.

I wouldn't rule film out entirely, although yeah I wouldn't bet on it.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Yeah, just seeing these ads as well as seeing what Kiyotaka Taguchi is capable of with the low budgets of an Ultraman TV show demonstrate just how incredible an interesting combination of classic tokusatsu and digital effects can look. If only a studio would commit to making a whole movie this way.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I dunno, I think it's within reason we could get a 'throwback' Godzilla movie with practical FX. There seems to be a burgeoning movement around preserving man-in-suit techniques, I think these awesome Boss commercials attest to that, not to mention all the work Hideki Anno's done these past few years.
How gorgeous is that Shodai suit in action though?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Guy, that's boss!

Resized Image
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Very interesting. Having Godzilla in a coffee commercial is very random but this isn't the first random commercial and certainly won't be the last.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 am I dunno, I think it's within reason we could get a 'throwback' Godzilla movie with practical FX. There seems to be a burgeoning movement around preserving man-in-suit techniques, I think these awesome Boss commercials attest to that, not to mention all the work Hideki Anno's done these past few years.
Do you have anything to support this?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:43 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:29 am I dunno, I think it's within reason we could get a 'throwback' Godzilla movie with practical FX. There seems to be a burgeoning movement around preserving man-in-suit techniques, I think these awesome Boss commercials attest to that, not to mention all the work Hideki Anno's done these past few years.
Why are you so against the idea of toku coming back for Godzilla, Vakanai? Or should I say, hesistant with?

He's a Japanese character, and an Ultra brother from another mother, it's a no-brainer to think they'll be some toku magic in 'ol Godziller's future. I don't care if CGI is "the norm," a little imagination with toku goes a long way.

Yeah major sssspielberg, that Shodai suit is gorgeous. I would love to see other Showa suits return.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sat May 29, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I feel like eventually Godzilla coming back in suit form is an eventuality. It might not be the next film or the one after that, but it's easy to imagine Toho explicitly showcasing and advertising "look the movie has suits!" again and it being a throwback. It's easy to forget, but Shin was very close to being made with suits.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:13 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:43 pm
Why are you so against the idea of toku coming back for Godzilla, Vakanai? Or should I say, hesistant with?

He's a Japanese character, and an Ultra brother from another mother, it's a no-brainer to think they'll be some toku magic in 'ol Godziller's future. I don't care if CGI is "the norm," a little imagination with toku goes a long way.

Yeah major sssspielberg, that Shodai suit is gorgeous. I would love to see other Showa suits return.
I think you misread me - I'm not arguing against it coming back, I'm not against toku coming back, I'm only 1.) hesitant in making blanket assumptions that it's coming back just because we fans want it too - that a little evidence needs to be provided to support anything more substantial than "I hope"; you say it's a "no-brainer" only because it's Japanese and similar to Ultraman, but I don't think that's a good assumption. And of course my secret reason 2.) is that I was also kind of fishing for some sort of wave of kaiju fan films or petitions or things a burgeoning movement would be producing. Actually reason 2.) was probably like 60-65% of the reason for my post. What? I'm bored and have already gone through most of the easy-ish to find obscure kaiju stuff, I gotta find out new titles some damn how...

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:43 pm Do you have anything to support this?
Just look up Anno's Tokusatsu Museum. That's a good place to start. There's been a few tours of suits and props as well, not to mention the project that new ShodaiGoji was built for. I'm sorry, I'm having an incredibly rough weekend so I don't have it in me to dig through the web atm, but I wouldn't say something if I didn't have a good reason to have that impression. There's a similar push for practical FX going on over here in the West, if you're familiar with projects such as Psycho Goreman or that one antarctic The Thing inspired movies from 5 or 6 years ago. CG has been around long enough that some people just want to preserve the old ways of special effects.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:57 am
Just look up Anno's Tokusatsu Museum. That's a good place to start. There's been a few tours of suits and props as well, not to mention the project that new ShodaiGoji was built for. I'm sorry, I'm having an incredibly rough weekend so I don't have it in me to dig through the web atm, but I wouldn't say something if I didn't have a good reason to have that impression. There's a similar push for practical FX going on over here in the West, if you're familiar with projects such as Psycho Goreman or that one antarctic The Thing inspired movies from 5 or 6 years ago. CG has been around long enough that some people just want to preserve the old ways of special effects.
I think that makes a good argument for smaller tokusatsu films, but not necessarily a good argument for a return for a toku Godzilla. Like you mention Psycho Goreman, and I think that's a very apt comparison. It's a small budget non-theatrical B movie. A very well made ambitious one (I have it, enjoyed it, but it was kind of mixed for me - flawed, but neat), but clearly not intended as a big budget blockbuster. And Godzilla is a big budget blockbuster for Japanese made films. Like what Psycho Goreman is to Hollywood movies, I see the push for toku winding up in a similar sort of niche eventually - CGI for the big movies like Godzilla and Gamera, toku for things like Reigo and Raiga. Which honestly, wouldn't be that bad.

The only The Thing inspired movie I'm aware of is the CGI remake?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm The only The Thing inspired movie I'm aware of is the CGI remake?
Harbinger Down.

Sadly, a very forgettable movie, but it does show off some pretty impressive practical effects... and that was nearly 6 years ago!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm The only The Thing inspired movie I'm aware of is the CGI remake?
I had to look it up, it's called Harbinger Down. It's kinda like P.G., doesn't really wow you but it's cool to see the weird alien creatures brought to life by practical means. Worth a watch once.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_Down
As far as Godzilla, I don't think we're gonna get a whole series of films done traditional, but I think it's totally feasible that Toho would greenlight a one-off suits-and-miniatures Godzilla film. Take a look at Joker- Warner Brothers let Todd Phillips tell his Scorsese-fanfic story by way of the Batman brand, separate from anything else, and it resonated. Toho could do the same thing, if the filmmakers were there. A "throwback" Godzilla has more of an inherent built in audience than "Taxi Driver but with Da Jokah, babee" in my opinion. They've been taking some risks with Godzilla these last couple years.
(Edit: scooped! :lol: thanks GBG! Way to make me feel old!)
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun May 30, 2021 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:24 pm
Harbinger Down.

Sadly, a very forgettable movie, but it does show off some pretty impressive practical effects... and that was nearly 6 years ago!
Looks cool, practical effects wise. Not sure I'm up for another forgettable movie for a while though.

Added in 6 minutes 11 seconds:
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:26 pm
I had to look it up, it's called Harbinger Down. It's kinda like P.G., doesn't really wow you but it's cool to see the weird alien creatures brought to life by practical means. Worth a watch once.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbinger_Down
As far as Godzilla, I don't think we're gonna get a whole series of films done traditional, but I think it's totally feasible that Toho would greenlight a one-off suits-and-miniatures Godzilla film. Take a look at Joker- Warner Brothers let Todd Phillips tell his Scorsese-fanfic story by way of the Batman brand, separate from anything else, and it resonated. Toho could do the same thing, if the filmmakers were there. A "throwback" Godzilla has more of an inherent built in audience than "Taxi Driver but with Da Jokah, babee" in my opinion. They've been taking some risks with Godzilla these last couple years.
(Edit: scooped! :lol: thanks GBG! Way to make me feel old!)
See, I wouldn't really paint a "back to practical toku" Godzilla as a Joker type risk that could be okayed on an antagonist that the studio kind of throws out there during a year with guaranteed blockbuster superhero movies like Aquaman - WB got lucky with Joker, they really kind of tried to dissuade Phillips with the low low budget. No, a more appropriate comparison would be if Toho were to do a low budget melancholy dark toku Rodan movie during a year with a big flashy CGI Mothra film also coming out. Definitely not something they'd do with Godzilla himself however - he's their Batman.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm
I think that makes a good argument for smaller tokusatsu films, but not necessarily a good argument for a return for a toku Godzilla. Like you mention Psycho Goreman, and I think that's a very apt comparison. It's a small budget non-theatrical B movie. A very well made ambitious one (I have it, enjoyed it, but it was kind of mixed for me - flawed, but neat), but clearly not intended as a big budget blockbuster. And Godzilla is a big budget blockbuster for Japanese made films. Like what Psycho Goreman is to Hollywood movies, I see the push for toku winding up in a similar sort of niche eventually - CGI for the big movies like Godzilla and Gamera, toku for things like Reigo and Raiga. Which honestly, wouldn't be that bad.

Here's the thing though: by purely modern budgetary standards the Heisei Gamera films had tiny budgets - and these days look at what Kiyotaka Taguchi is able to accomplish in the paltry budget/time-crunch in Ultraman episodes.

A fantastic tokusatsu kaiju movie could be done for fairly little, you just need the right talent, the time and space and enough money to do it. I think it's totally feasible, whether someone somewhere will ever greenlight it is the question.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Angilasman wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:38 amHere's the thing though: by purely modern budgetary standards the Heisei Gamera films had tiny budgets - and these days look at what Kiyotaka Taguchi is able to accomplish in the paltry budget/time-crunch in Ultraman episodes.

A fantastic tokusatsu kaiju movie could be done for fairly little, you just need the right talent, the time and space and enough money to do it. I think it's totally feasible, whether someone somewhere will ever greenlight it is the question.
I wasn't arguing about the budget, I was arguing about someone giving the greenlight. Toho views Godzilla like WB views Batman, you're not going to get a relatively small budget risky film like Joker was greenlit for Godzilla - it has to be one of his foes or another kaiju.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Vakanai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 4:50 pm

Actually, the CGI film was a prequel to Carpenter's original, telling what happened before the first film started.

The prequel's title, though, is confusing if you don't know this. A better title, I think, would've been The Thing: Origins, but that's just me, I guess.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Vakanai wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:25 am I wasn't arguing about the budget, I was arguing about someone giving the greenlight. Toho views Godzilla like WB views Batman, you're not going to get a relatively small budget risky film like Joker was greenlit for Godzilla - it has to be one of his foes or another kaiju.
My feeling is that if someone goes this route it'll be an non-franchise original idea - and if a project like that makes waves? Then I can see Toho considering it.

Of course, internet short films or something minor is a route I could see Toho taking for a traditional effects showcase. Honestly, a drama about Tsuburaya or the making of Godzilla '54 seems like a no-brainer as well!