How Could Past Monsters Be Revisited in the Reiwa Era?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Re: Reiwa Mechagodzilla: How do you want him?

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

I want them to incorporate elements of Transforming Mechagodzilla.

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Re: Reiwa Ghidorah: How do you want him?

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

I want it to be based on GMK. With the Reiwa Godzilla being evil and all, it makes sense having Ghidorah be a guardian monster.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

The tri colored gravity beam goes WAY back and it has a nice habit of cropping up every generation or so. Finally deserves to get it's chance. Could take it a step further and make each beam do something different.

Yellow from the middle. Can have it work similarly to Keizers as well.
Blue from the left head. Blue saps heat from the target which can cause flash freezing and severe frost bite. Can counter Godzilla's regeneration.
Red from the right head. Red generates intense heat and is hard to look at. A bright flash heralds the beam and where ever it hits erupts in a sea of flames almost as if the air itself is igniting (it is).

Build upon his alien nature some more, give him that freaky split mouth from the Grand King Ghidorah concept, unique horns for each head and Void Ghidorah's weird multi eyes for the middle head. Some lore about how Ghidorah evolved the way he did by extreme natural selection on hostile planets he visits to the point where he became a supreme cosmic apex predator. The other 2 heads are younger and lack the originals multi eye (mutation he gained) but the right head has Shin's flash membrane for sure.

Vomited my head canon for a Ghidorah there - but basically I'd like to see another alien Ghidorah. Either a biological weapon used by aliens or just a cosmic super monster looking to start some.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Re: Reiwa Rodan: How do you want him?

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I hope Bear Mccreary come to do the soundtrack for this guy, the soundtrack was great

Cough*Mick Gordon*cough huh, who said that?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Well... I can now say I don't want him to have giant gorilla arms and focus mostly on melee combat. He certainly should have the ability to hang in CQB, but he needs to remain a distance fighter with a diverse arsenal of ranged options first and foremost.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I'd kind of want to see them take another swing at a nanotech-based MechaGodzilla like the anime trilogy, except with a more recognizable design and have it actually do something. I'd also really like an alien MG with the gnarly techno-organic aspects the early Kiryu designs had.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

LegendZilla
Sazer

Reiwa Jet Jaguar : How should he be done?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey everyone, LegendZilla here making my first post with my brand-new laptop. As we all know, it has been firmly established that Jet Jaguar will make his long awaited-return in the Singular Point Anime series on Netflix. That has got me wondering something... Does JJ have a chance at actually returning in a live-action film done by Toho themselves? If so, please let me know what ideas you have as to how you think the character should be updated for modern times.

I would turn him into a transforming robot who has both a humanoid battle-mode and mechanical jaguar mode to help him live up to his name. Like his Showa counterpart, he will be controlled with a voice-command system and he will also have an AI implemented into his main CPU which will eventually cause him to gain free-will. Do you think I have a cool idea? If so, inform me.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Re: Reiwa Jet Jaguar : How should he be done?

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I am a shameless plug for LSD's Jet Jaguar Salary Man idea. Just brilliant. That is my greatest JJ hope, and I don't think it will ever come true. But hey, I got JJ in an anime coming up, really can't complain.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I could totally see it happening. Especially if SP does really well and the fan response in Japan to JJ is hugely positive. There was that hooplah a couple years ago when someone at Toho said he'd like to see Jet Jaguar make a return (maybe that's why JJ is in this anime?) but of course most people in America have never heard of JJ so thought he was talking about Pac Rim's Jaegers. That was funny, and probably illustrates why JJ will never appear in the MV. But JJ is still loved in Japan and by Toho, especially in our modern era which is experiencing a big nostalgia kick right now.

My only hope is they play him a bit more serious like this anime seems to be doing rather than going full camp/comedy with him. I do not like LSD's Jet Jaguar Salary Man idea. Luckily from this anime Toho doesn't view JJ as a gag or joke character.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Jet Jaguar should never be a "serious military" robot in my opinion. A proof-of-concept prototype never intended for combat? A search and rescue human-sized android? Those sound good to me. I feel Jet Jaguar has a very particular vibe that making them a full-on military weapon would fail to capture.
If you want him to fight on kaiju terms without the "ridiculousness" of size changing , bring in some nanometal ala Mechagodzilla city and have him take it over to build a giant mobile armor in his own image.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dinoskell wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:49 pm Jet Jaguar should never be a "serious military" robot in my opinion. A proof-of-concept prototype never intended for combat? A search and rescue human-sized android? Those sound good to me. I feel Jet Jaguar has a very particular vibe that making them a full-on military weapon would fail to capture.
If you want him to fight on kaiju terms without the "ridiculousness" of size changing , bring in some nanometal ala Mechagodzilla city and have him take it over to build a giant mobile armor in his own image.
As long as he doesn't look like a fucking Boss Borot comic relief-type mech (looking at you Singular Point) I'll be fine. Just make him look badass and cool, plain and simple.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I actually had an idea for JJ in a Kiryu saga type reimagining

“J-J73” would be a G-Force task-bot (basically a robot helper) reprogrammed by Goro Ibuki to defend their base from smaller, aggressive monsters after the “Aftermath” happened (basically all kaiju attacking all cities and retaking the world after Goji is killed by the OD, creating a “world of monsters”, if you will). He gets retrofitted with scrappy, more combat ready armor and gets the ability for his hands to turn into drills (which is what inspires Kiryu’s hand drills later down the line in this timelime).

After JJ and the survivors are found due to broadcasting their S.O.S. signal, JJ is repaired and modified to help the G-Force task force because of his unique qualities (smarter A.I., actual combat programming). Eventually, G-Force builds a giant mech for JJ to help out in the final battle, with jet boosters, shoulder cannons, wrist rockets, and the ability to transfer his A.I. from the mecha to his original body and vice-versa, emulating his signature “size-change” aspect
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Dinoskell wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:49 pm Jet Jaguar should never be a "serious military" robot in my opinion. A proof-of-concept prototype never intended for combat? A search and rescue human-sized android? Those sound good to me. I feel Jet Jaguar has a very particular vibe that making them a full-on military weapon would fail to capture.
This. I'm against going full camp or comedy with him, but he's not a serious militaristic robot ala some versions of Mechagodzilla. He's a scifi superhero robot. I'd like them to take the robot superhero angle and just play it straight. Japanese superhero shows like Ultraman, Super Sentai (Power Rangers), and Kamen Rider are still going strong. That's the mold JJ was intended to fit in.

Added in 59 seconds:
LegendZilla wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:17 pm
As long as he doesn't look like a skreeonking Boss Borot comic relief-type mech (looking at you Singular Point) I'll be fine. Just make him look badass and cool, plain and simple.
...what the heck is Boss Borot?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I'm fine with Jet Jaguar looking a little goofy in an unrefined way, I mean the original was built by a toymaker and and the eyes of Showa take were in-universe made using parts taken from News-cameras. That's why I suggested the prototype take, and actually love how Singular Point is made out of industrial equipment.
Unrelated, I like the idea of Jet Jaguar still having to learn martial arts because honestly, even machines need to learn largely by trial and error. Even if Jet can master the form easily, the application and knowing what move to use when would take time to learn.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:46 pm
As long as he doesn't look like a skreeonking Boss Borot comic relief-type mech (looking at you Singular Point) I'll be fine. Just make him look badass and cool, plain and simple.

...what the heck is Boss Borot?
Boss Borot is a comic relief mech from Mazinger Z.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

I’d be interested in seeing an artificial Ghidorah made by mankind in order to attack Godzilla.

Or alternatively an early ally of Godzilla’s, a goody-two-shoes who eventually decides Godzilla’s too much of a threat to the Earth.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm I’d be interested in seeing an artificial Ghidorah made by mankind in order to attack Godzilla.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:09 pm
VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:04 pm I’d be interested in seeing an artificial Ghidorah made by mankind in order to attack Godzilla.
Yes, but I always thought Heisei Ghidorah was lacking something. This guy may very well go rogue, and become an even bigger threat.

And I think Ghidorah can be reinvented, and frankly should. Alien takes are great, but Toho shouldn’t feel limited to one version of the Ghids.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:17 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Yes, but I always thought Heisei Ghidorah was lacking something. This guy may very well go rogue, and become an even bigger threat.

And I think Ghidorah can be reinvented, and frankly should. Alien takes are great, but Toho shouldn’t feel limited to one version of the Ghids.
How funny, that just two days ago I came up with the idea of a Ghidorah that's actually a combination of several other monsters based on the anatomy drawings over the year, feeding their DNA into a supercomputer. Anguirus for the "multiple brains" . Godzilla for radiation processing. Battra and Rodan for flight and other energy utilization and sensory organs. Mothra for, ironically against her motif, poisons. Varan for additional durability. Maybe Megalon or Gabara for further energy storage and generation.

That's actually an interesting idea: Ghidora as a sort of memetic invader that get civilizations to create a version of it in realspace that destroys a planet and perishes with it or recreates it in own image from the wreckage. ...wait I just copied that Movie Species there didn't I?

Anyway, I feel the glassy-eyed look of Showa Ghidorah is underrated. I know we like expressive Ghidorah's eyes or demonic looking, but I feel an vacant stare has a horror of its own.

Going back to Heisei Ghidorah
I think one way to do an new take for Ghidorah would be to base them on Marvel's Man-Thing: a monster that can sense others fear and feels pain from it so attacks violently. Given the dorats ability to feel emotion , that feels like it could have been what Heisei Ghidorah was missing. For a recently created Ghidorah ala Heisei it could be a sympathetic explanation for actions. For a space monster, it as long morphed into a form of sadism against all other life that hurts Ghidorah by daring to exist.

Changing topics again
Interestingly enough I've found anatomy books stated Ghidorah can spray from heads and tails gas that either is disorienting or causes insanity, both are plausible translations. That sounds like a Zonefighter type special effect oddly enough. But is it an attack or is it a way for Ghidorah to change the atmosphere?
Last edited by Dinoskell on Fri May 21, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Don't use the theme park design.