Godzilla vs Ghidorah theme park ride at Seibu-en

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Denis
Monsterland Worker

Re: Godzilla vs Ghidorah theme park ride at Seibu-en

Post by Denis »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 pm
Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 pm
phillipw1954 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:00 pm Didn't TOHO have to wait until GVK was released to make a new live-action Godzilla film? I swear there was something in their contract with Legendary, and that's why TOHO pumped out the Anime Trilogy and SP. That, and wanting to exercise Godzilla in new forms of media. Hopefully we'll get an announcement or something regarding the "World of Godzilla" they were planning on doing soon. Hopefully we can get the MV, SP, and the WOG all running at the same time, assuming there will be more MV films and SP seasons.
That would be amazing tbh. SP, WoG, and MV coexisting would be very interesting.
Once again, "World of Godzilla" is not any sort of planned cinematic universe by Toho. It's the name of a marketing strategy designed to establish the Godzilla brand in different countries around the world. There is no plans from Toho at the moment to do any sort of live-action movie or movie series.

Anyway, the ride looks...okay. It kind of fails at any attempt at immersion, at least from what I can see. The video itself is awesome and I'd love to experience it, but it also seems to fall into the all-too-familiar modern theme park ride category of "just a screen with some slight motion simulation". No real attempt at hiding the screen edges or immersing people into the world via the vehicle or any set dressing. I understand that it probably couldn't have Universal Studios or DisneySea-levels of budget, but it still kinda disappoints me a bit.
It actually depends which translation your using. Some translations got World of Godzilla for the shared universe, either way they said in the future, their going to do a shared universe with Godzilla, Mothra etc. But yeah, I do somewhat agree about the ride.
Last edited by Denis on Tue May 25, 2021 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:58 pm Damn does Ghidorah have the powers to extend his necks? I can't think of any other reason why he somehow managed to almost snatch up the passengers like that.

Also, there's a lot of KOTM refrences in this.
I think it just felt like that since we only saw the heads coming right at us, but I think it's reasonable that since he was running behind the heads could reach no rubber necking required.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

phillipw1954
Samurai

Post by phillipw1954 »

Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:49 pm
phillipw1954 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:00 pm
Vakanai wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:06 pm

Do we really have to wait three years for the next movie? I don't mind getting a film in 2023 and just like a neat little short or something for 2024...
I know, I'm impatient, but it's been 5 years already since we last had a live action kaiju film from Toho, and while getting kaiju stuff from Hollywood is cool it's also just not the same.
Didn't TOHO have to wait until GVK was released to make a new live-action Godzilla film? I swear there was something in their contract with Legendary, and that's why TOHO pumped out the Anime Trilogy and SP. That, and wanting to exercise Godzilla in new forms of media. Hopefully we'll get an announcement or something regarding the "World of Godzilla" they were planning on doing soon. Hopefully we can get the MV, SP, and the WOG all running at the same time, assuming there will be more MV films and SP seasons.
Yes, but I imagine that they've had a few scripts and things waiting in the wings to swoop in and start making something as soon as GvK was over - and now we're in that time. I mean it's still too soon after GvK to announce anything, and they probably want to let SP have more time as the only big Toho Goji news for a bit, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear Toho making new movie news within the year. And if they've already done all the scripting and possible concept art secretly behind the scenes, and with how quick they can churn out a movie, them having something for 2023 is possible. But they'll probably want to wait to release it for the 2024 anniversary, yeah...

There's definitely going to be more MV films, and though I'm fine with that after the huge tonal shift and change of KotM and even more so GvK my interest in the MV is pretty much dead unless things change back to going less dumb on writing, but I doubt that'll happen (I refuse to watch anything on the same level of "quality" writing of GvK again). So my only prayer as a fan right now is praying and hoping that the whole Toho making their own Godzilla films at the same time as MV thing does indeed happen. God please let Toho start making their own Godzilla films again. Until then...well, I am eagerly anticipating watching SP on Netflix next month!

Added in 8 minutes 3 seconds:
GigaBowserG wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:54 pm Get it while it's hot!
To Toho, in regards to making movies with this level of CGI and character designs: Shut up and take my money!
I bet if anything we'll get more films like GVK. GVK seems to be the most critically accepted MV film, and it also MIGHT be the most profitable one (or it would have that the potential to be if COVID didn't come and screw everything up). I doubt Legendary would want to change course now

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 pm It actually depends which translation your using. Some translations got World of Godzilla for the shared universe, either way they said in the future, their going to do a shared universe with Godzilla, Mothra etc. But yeah, I do somewhat agree about the ride.
No, it doesn't. The World of Godzilla name was officially linked to the marketing strategy via a PDF on Toho's website, it was never once given to any kind of planned universe. The shared universe link was a mistranslation/combination of two separate stories. It's not happening, it doesn't exist as so many people think it does, so let's try not to continue spreading false information.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 pm
Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:27 pm
phillipw1954 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 4:00 pm Didn't TOHO have to wait until GVK was released to make a new live-action Godzilla film? I swear there was something in their contract with Legendary, and that's why TOHO pumped out the Anime Trilogy and SP. That, and wanting to exercise Godzilla in new forms of media. Hopefully we'll get an announcement or something regarding the "World of Godzilla" they were planning on doing soon. Hopefully we can get the MV, SP, and the WOG all running at the same time, assuming there will be more MV films and SP seasons.
That would be amazing tbh. SP, WoG, and MV coexisting would be very interesting.
Once again, "World of Godzilla" is not any sort of planned cinematic universe by Toho. It's the name of a marketing strategy designed to establish the Godzilla brand in different countries around the world. There is no plans from Toho at the moment to do any sort of live-action movie or movie series.
I kind of doubt that. I mean, yes, WoG isn't a cinematic universe, and yes there's no official news on a live-action film forthcoming currently, but I think we can agree that there's still a high likelihood that after the success of Shin Toho still has an interest in making their own live action films, and now that GvK is over there's a big chance that they'll take this opportunity between now and any possible yet unconfirmed MV Godzilla sequel to churn out a film or two of their own.

Added in 4 minutes 32 seconds:
phillipw1954 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 pm I bet if anything we'll get more films like GVK. GVK seems to be the most critically accepted MV film, and it also MIGHT be the most profitable one (or it would have that the potential to be if COVID didn't come and screw everything up). I doubt Legendary would want to change course now
Agreed - as I said, this is why my interest in the MV is now basically dead and buried and I'm hoping that much more strongly that Toho returns in this space. I've no other live action Godzilla content to look forward to otherwise, because I absolutely hated the dumbing down that happened in GvK and don't expect it to get better than that going forward. I found this short shakey video of a ride to be a better personal experience than watching GvK. So yeah, here's hoping Toho makes a movie again...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 pm
Denis wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:52 pm It actually depends which translation your using. Some translations got World of Godzilla for the shared universe, either way they said in the future, their going to do a shared universe with Godzilla, Mothra etc. But yeah, I do somewhat agree about the ride.
No, it doesn't. The World of Godzilla name was officially linked to the marketing strategy via a PDF on Toho's website, it was never once given to any kind of planned universe. The shared universe link was a mistranslation/combination of two separate stories. It's not happening, it doesn't exist as so many people think it does, so let's try not to continue spreading false information.
Are you guys talking about this article?
https://style.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO ... 000?page=2
It does sound like the "chief executive of Godzilla" person saying they are interested in some kind of shared universe of Godzilla movies, similar to MCU. And that they are planning to release godzilla movies every year.

So is this the one are you saying that is a combination of seperate stories?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Rodan is the new Angurius lol. Ride was awesome as a tease.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

Honestly... I can't say that I was impressed by this. I'm not really a big fan of Evangelion, but that ride was way better than this one imo. This one just felt...off.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

Completely loved this. I want a new Toho movie they actually created CGI designs that wasn't stiff. Here's to hoping they announce a new film this year or next year.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

I see where you are coming from, but the original link actually suggest doing a shared universe, I already went through multiple translate sites and they all say the same thing, a shared universe. I can give you a link if you want.
Last edited by Denis on Wed May 26, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Denis wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 5:55 am
I see where you are coming from, but the original link actually suggest doing a shared universe, I already went through multiple translate sites and they all say the same thing, a shared universe. I can give you a link if you want.
If Toho's website doesn't say WoG is a shared universe but DOES say it's a marketing strategy, there's a good chance that whatever 2nd or 3rd party news site reported WoG as a "shared universe" has it wrong

IIRC one of those articles mistranslated Jet Jaguar as "Jaeger" and started a bunch of unwarranted PacRim-Godzilla hype too
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

World of Godzilla might include a shared universe set of films but World.of Godzilla is not just a shared universe of films.

The shared universe was just one aspect of what Toho would like to do with the WOG plan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Godzilla the Ride: Great Kaiju Decisive Dominance Battle Bandai Movie Monsters Godzilla and King Ghidorah are live on the Godzilla store website about $40 a piece.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:41 pm Godzilla the Ride: Great Kaiju Decisive Dominance Battle Bandai Movie Monsters Godzilla and King Ghidorah are live on the Godzilla store website about $40 a piece.
Good thing I just got a job
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

OGMechaMothra wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 7:41 pm Godzilla the Ride: Great Kaiju Decisive Dominance Battle Bandai Movie Monsters Godzilla and King Ghidorah are live on the Godzilla store website about $40 a piece.
Ghidorah is 50$, which is a bit crazy, but hey.

Basically it being on the Godzilla store gauntness it won't become some elusive and scalped item. It'll still be absolutely expensive after a few years, but you don't have to panic.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 pm...the ride looks...okay. It kind of fails at any attempt at immersion, at least from what I can see. The video itself is awesome and I'd love to experience it, but it also seems to fall into the all-too-familiar modern theme park ride category of "just a screen with some slight motion simulation". No real attempt at hiding the screen edges or immersing people into the world via the vehicle or any set dressing. I understand that it probably couldn't have Universal Studios or DisneySea-levels of budget, but it still kinda disappoints me a bit.
There's a YouTube entry showing the entire ride. That entry shows the ride video was being projected onto a curved screen that wrapped 180° around the viewer, encompassing their peripheral vision. Am I allowed to link to it here?
Last edited by G1985 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

G1985 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:18 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 6:20 pm...the ride looks...okay. It kind of fails at any attempt at immersion, at least from what I can see. The video itself is awesome and I'd love to experience it, but it also seems to fall into the all-too-familiar modern theme park ride category of "just a screen with some slight motion simulation". No real attempt at hiding the screen edges or immersing people into the world via the vehicle or any set dressing. I understand that it probably couldn't have Universal Studios or DisneySea-levels of budget, but it still kinda disappoints me a bit.
There's a YouTube entry showing the entire ride. That entry shows the ride video was being projected onto a curved screen that wrapped 180° around the viewer, encompassing their peripheral vision. Am I allowed to link to it here?
Yeah, of course.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:06 am
G1985 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:18 am There's a YouTube entry showing the entire ride. That entry shows the ride video was being projected onto a curved screen that wrapped 180° around the viewer, encompassing their peripheral vision. Am I allowed to link to it here?
Yeah, of course.
Here's the whole ride, probably recorded on someone's phone. Enjoy!

Last edited by G1985 on Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Oh yeah, that's the video I watched already. The screen may be 180 degrees around but the top seams of it especially are very blatantly seen at multiple points and there's really no attempt at all to try and "imagineer" any sort of environment into it. As bad as it is, at least Skull Island: The Reign of Kong at Universal Orlando has a thematic queue and outside area and an animatronic Kong at the end. This is a cool video and all but it's not a very impressive theme park attraction.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Why does Ghidorah have pecs?