Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:17 pm So was Otashis research a witch hunt to nothing? Was everything he did just a sham to get people confused and FAIL? It actually seems he WANTED the catastrophe to happen?

Can someone explain the science “for dummies”? What exactly is a singular point? What did time travel have to do with anything(though we do see Otaahi in the end credits). Are the Kaiju showing up through portals from another reality? Or just showing up? That kind of stuff is really confusing as I don’t think it was explained very clearly.
Otashi? Who's Otashi?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:16 pm Godzilla is inmortal and manifesting himself again after originally appearing in the 1950s and being killed to become the skeleton that's causing all the chaos.

He's not evolving INTO the skeleton's form, that's always what he was going to become
The skeleton and the current Godzilla are two different individuals was the impression I was getting.

Even so if the bones are his future self appearing in the past he is still evolving to become Ultima, it just means there is only one Godzilla period and not 2 like I thought.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:45 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:16 pm Godzilla is inmortal and manifesting himself again after originally appearing in the 1950s and being killed to become the skeleton that's causing all the chaos.

He's not evolving INTO the skeleton's form, that's always what he was going to become
The skeleton and the current Godzilla are two different individuals was the impression I was getting.

Even so if the bones are his future self appearing in the past he is still evolving to become Ultima, it just means there is only one Godzilla period and not 2 like I thought.
Yeah, two Godzillas would make sense (especially given the series track record) but from everything I've seen, it's the same Godzilla.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:45 pm

It explains pretty clearly that the first Godzilla appeared and attacked a fishing village in the past. If we look at the work ‘Tametomo Escapes a Crocodile-Shark and is Saved from Suicide by Tengu’ by Utagawa Kuniyoshi, to which the print of Godzilla is based on in SP on, than we can infer that event happened around 1850 (1851 was when the original print was made). The monster appeared and was killed, and the skeleton was saved and hidden away, while the events were long forgotten about. The skeleton is preserved and the research facility is invented to research it by Ashihara. In the conversation in the ramen shop, it's explained that Ashihara somehow inherited it in the 1950's. Perhaps in the 1970's there's some big development, based on the slide projection of Ashihara that Sato finds. It's also clear that there's something up with Ashihara and his age. Sato states that Ashihara's age might not make sense, and that he'd have to be over 100. Whether this is because of archetype, or black hole company aliens remains to be seen. In any case, all of this appears to have been planned well in advance, and hopefully season 2 will address all this and focus more explicitly on the skeleton. We don't know Ashihara's goals yet, or even if the group is evil.

It's safe to assume that this Godzilla (the skeleton) is a separate individual. The bones in some capacity are still alive (though perhaps not in the conventional sense).

Added in 46 seconds:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:04 pm Yeah, two Godzillas would make sense (especially given the series track record) but from everything I've seen, it's the same Godzilla.
Wait, what do you mean the same? I'm pretty sure Ultima and the skeleton are two separate individuals. Was there something I missed?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mechabrozilla
Ronin

Post by Mechabrozilla »

As a massive fan of the Showa MG design I think Singular Point might be tied for 2nd alongside the Monsterverse Mecha. It looks genuinely cool - and its neat how they merged it with Kiryu's design.

Someone also pointed out the uniforms some of the mechanics are wearing look a lot like the Mysterians.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Cookson wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:17 pm Can someone explain the science “for dummies”? What exactly is a singular point? What did time travel have to do with anything (though we do see Otaahi in the end credits). Are the Kaiju showing up through portals from another reality? Or just showing up? That kind of stuff is really confusing as I don’t think it was explained very clearly.
Singular Points:
In mathematics, a singular point is: 1) where a function crosses itself, or 2) where it radically changes direction.

In GSP, the singular points seem to refer to archetypes - they can cross time (from our point of view), or apparently defy physics.
Most math we do in school uses X and Y coordinates (both of them are distance). The fancy math way of putting it for distance is Function(x) or F(x).
One math trick is to use time instead of distance. For using time instead of distance it's x = Function(time) or x = F(t).
A singular point for a function of time would loop back on itself, meaning two different time values result in the same x value:
For example: 0 = F(6 seconds) and 0 = F(360 seconds) means: if x is distance, it would look to us like a boat travelling to the right on the horizon is at 0 km at 6 seconds, but also at 360 seconds, even though it is only travelling left to right. That would make 0 km a singular point for that function.
This can only happen normally in our 3d world if the point we are watching from is on an island, and the boat is travelling a circle around the island. Archetypes would let this happen if we weren't on the island (it would appear to us as if the boat went to, say 6 km, then skipped back to 0 km).

Kaiju:
Think of archetypes as a brand new elements, that have magical properties. Things built from these new elements can have magical properties as well. The properties of archetypes allow the biology of the animals made from archetypes to defy the physics of our world. For example, physical laws of an animals size are determined by the surface area of the animal's skin in relation to the animals volume (called the squared cubed law). In our world, the Elephant is the largest animal size for land animals. Kaiju can defy the squared cubed law, but because they are made of archetypes (the red dust in GSP).

Portals:
Wherever the archetypes, or whatever is made from them, first appear in our 3d world might seem like a portal where they first appear. I don't know if I can describe it well after describing the above.
Last edited by JessIAm on Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:33 pm This may be the first Godzilla with no connection to nuclear power.
The news reports in episode 2 mentions "The radioactive element, radon, was discovered ..." when discussing the rodan.
In episode 7 at about 12m 30s, the blond guy from SHIVA approaches the Godzilla bones in the basement with what looks like a Geiger counter. The count reads higher values as he approaches the bones.

Other than those two references, and the submarine that is presumably nuclear (it looks like a USNavy submarine from the outside), are there any other references to nuclear power or nuclear bombs?

From a thematic point of view, is the modern fear of a rogue scientist producing something world destroying in a lab more prevalent than nuclear radiation?
Last edited by JessIAm on Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Spoiler:
I can't see the 1950's bones coming from the 2030's Godzilla.

The statements of people talking about the 1950's Godzilla mention it was killed when it attacked the fishing village Ashihara was born in. If the 2030's Godzilla and the 1950's Godzilla are the same animal, it would have had to die twice.

In addition: The 2030's military couldn't stop the 2030 Godzilla without the Orthogonal Diagonalizer. If the 1950's Godzilla is supposed to be the 2030 Godzilla going back in time, I can't see the 1950's military being able to stop it.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

miguelnuva wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:09 pm
Cookson wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:51 pm I’ll be honest… I don’t understand the ending at all. They’re trying to get the code to only find out it doesn’t exist? Then jet Jaguar remembers he’s invincible or something? They really should have done a basic Godzilla end of the world scenario. The pseudo science makes no sense to me in this world. Seems absolutely pointless.

If someone can really break it down that would be great. I’m trying to understand what they’re going for but don’t get it.
I think Jet Jaguar was the code they were looking for. The AI finds out there isn't one so Jet just made one. The ending confused me to.
Everything inside a computer is a number, even programs. They are arranged as bytes, but they are still numbers.
Spoiler:
If you string all the bytes of Jet Jaguar's AI program together, it's a huge number. I take Jet Jaguar's statement that he was the code itself to be the entire AI program of Jet Jaguar, expressed as a number, being the code. As the code, Jet Jaguar became a singular point, and was able to fight Godzilla physically.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Is it possible that Godzilla's beam attack is actually Archetype instead of radiation? Maybe, it's a phase after the blue crystals.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:14 am Is it possible that Godzilla's beam attack is actually Archetype instead of radiation? Maybe, it's a phase after the blue crystals.
If so,
Spoiler:
it's the only archetype shown that can melt not just metal, but concrete and glass as well.

I doubt the Big G's breath is archetype. In her presentation, Dr. Li showed the archetypes generating energy continuously until the apparatus made from archetypes exploded.

I think Big G, in all his forms is made of archetype of probably more than one phase. That's probably true of all the kaiju from Rodan on, since Rodan seemed to emit Red Dust (aka archetype phase 1).

If a human made apparatus could generate energy until it they explode, a biological creature evolved to live off archetypes could manage and channel the energy archetypes produced.

My hunch is Big G is archetype fueled, and generates archetypes in the form of red dust when dead, but Godzilla's beam attack wouldn't be made of archetype, just highly concentrated "normal" energy.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

This is a response to a post in the Non Spoiler Thread. I'm re-posting it here:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 am SP kept my attention but went too hard on the how's and why's, yet didn't show enough of how and why they applied to the monsters themselves.
I think SP showed
Spoiler:
the connection of the archetypes (aka Red Dust - Archetype Phase 1 according to Doctor Li) and monsters when the second wave of Rodan started emitting Red Dust after they died.
Also, the Godzilla bones in the basement emitted Red Dust.

In a later episode, a plant like organism growing over buildings in Tokyo was shown under a microscope living off the Red Dust. Plants we see on earth's surface live off of light using photosynthesis. Organisms have been found living on chemicals emitted from volcanic vents using chemo-synthesis. The monster plant growing over Tokyo buildings would be living off of archetype-synthesis (or Red Dust synthesis).

Since archetypes are shown to break the laws of physics by apparently creating energy, any organisms living off archetypes would have abilities and sizes impossible to achieve with our real world chemistry.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

JessIAm wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:05 pm This is a response to a post in the Non Spoiler Thread. I'm re-posting it here:
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:08 am SP kept my attention but went too hard on the how's and why's, yet didn't show enough of how and why they applied to the monsters themselves.
I think SP showed
Spoiler:
the connection of the archetypes (aka Red Dust - Archetype Phase 1 according to Doctor Li) and monsters when the second wave of Rodan started emitting Red Dust after they died.

In a later episode, a plant like organism growing over buildings in Tokyo was shown under a microscope living off the Red Dust. Plants we see on earth's surface live off of light using photosynthesis. Organisms have been found living on chemicals emitted from volcanic vents using chemo-synthesis. The monster plant growing over Tokyo buildings would be living off of archetype-synthesis (or Red Dust synthesis).

Since archetypes are shown to break the laws of physics by apparently creating energy, any organisms living off archetypes would have abilities and sizes impossible to achieve with our real world chemistry.
Yeah, I can totally see the connection between the dust and the creatures, but were there any connections between the red dust and the wonky Time Rift/Singular Point stuff?

Like how did this red dust originate on each of the creatures, making them grow? Are they from alternate dimensions? Universes even? Is the dust just residue from universes colliding?

It gets complex :lol:
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:43 pm
JessIAm wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:05 pm This is a response to a post in the Non Spoiler Thread. I'm re-posting it here:
I think SP showed
Spoiler:

Yeah, I can totally see the connection between the dust and the creatures, but were there any connections between the red dust and the wonky Time Rift/Singular Point stuff?

Like how did this red dust originate on each of the creatures, making them grow? Are they from alternate dimensions? Universes even? Is the dust just residue from universes colliding?

It gets complex :lol:

Totally a connection between Singular Points and Red Dust:
Spoiler:
Whenever anyone looks at the Godzilla bones in the basement, they are surrounded by a slight distortion. This distortion is a subtle purple haze on the left and right edges of the characters. This distortion is similar to the time distortions around SHIVA when the catastrophe is starting. Other flashbacks in the series have a slight visual change, but nothing like the basement bones distortion.

Yun says in a later episode that the Godzilla bones are a singular point. Before the ascension of Jet Jaguar, Red Dust was shown to gather around the Godzilla bones. First time the bones appear (in the 1st episode), there's some Red Dust on the ground under the bones. Second time the bones appear, when Sato finds the Rodan toy on the ground, the floor is covered with Red Dust from wall to wall (much more than in previous scenes). This shows the Godzilla bones, a singular point, are producing the Red Dust.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

So I'm only just delving into the spoiler threads, but I legitimately think this may be my favorite piece of Godzilla media in recent years. It's smart like Shin Gojira, but it's fun like the Legendary movies. I seriously enjoyed it.

As a scientist, often when media tries to be smart with science they skirt accuracy, but fail to truly achieve it. SP made it's own rules and it was so fun to learn what those rules were. Never did I think "Oh that's dumb", which I really liked.

I'll need to rewatch to catch all of the meaning, but I really had great fun with it.

Also I was originally upset when they revealed "Titanosaurus" and "Varan" to just be forms of Godzilla, but having seen it now it still seems to be the intent of the creators that those monsters are what they are, just repurposed. It's like hiring an actor to play a younger version of another actor. Say, Alden Ehrenreich and Harrison Ford have really good chemistry and you want to see them act together, so you get disappointed when you learn that Ehrenreich will be playing Han Solo and they won't be in any scenes together. Then Ehrenreich does a great job of embodying the character, and you're satisfied.

Don't know if that analogy makes sense, but it worked for me.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Forgive me if this has been posited before, but I wonder if the red dust is a related to the red plastic button from Seatopia in Vs Megalon? Random shower thought for today :lol:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

JessIAm
Samurai

Post by JessIAm »

I was rewatching the series and noticed:
Spoiler:
Yun is like the Chekhov of this series. The "Chekhov Treatment" in Star Trek refers to the way the character Chekhov is the most often hurt character who doesn't die. Yun faces down kaiju more than any other character, and deals with falling off the bike most! You could almost make a drinking game out of it! LOL!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:50 am Forgive me if this has been posited before, but I wonder if the red dust is a related to the red plastic button from Seatopia in Vs Megalon? Random shower thought for today :lol:
That's really stupid, but I could see it being a vague inspiration or reference. The red button/dust in megaton is a really random plot point that doesn't serve any real uniqueness. Nice catch.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

The Singular Point Guidebook is out. They posted a quick little "flip through" video on Twitter, looks like a colorful book. Probably better for Japanese fans though, I imagine its a lot of recapping and explaining, not to mention details of production/cast & crew interviews.

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_SP/status/ ... 2022429703

Some pics also out there, including this page that appears to detail easter eggs. I'm curious about the Meganulon one down there, as we technically haven't gotten a proper name for the creatures yet (Wikizilla merely calls them "Godzilla Parasites") and I wonder if they give it a name here.

Last edited by Shenanigans on Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shenanigans wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:46 pm The Singular Point Guidebook is out. They posted a quick little "flip through" video on Twitter, looks like a colorful book. Probably better for Japanese fans though, I imagine its a lot of recapping and explaining, not to mention details of production/cast & crew interviews.

https://twitter.com/GODZILLA_SP/status/ ... 2022429703

Some pics also out there, including this page that appears to detail easter eggs. I'm curious about the Meganulon one down there, as we technically haven't gotten a proper name for the creatures yet (Wikizilla merely calls them "Godzilla Parasites") and I wonder if they give it a name here.

Thanks for the reminder. I just ordered a copy and it should arrive tomorrow. I'll look it over for anything of note.