Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

According to the MONSTROSITIES video about the history of SP, not only had it been in development while the Earth Trilogy was being created but the original pitch from the director was for Godzilla to battle samurais. I can definitely see trace elements of that in the final product in the mural, and I always figured Jet Jaguar was supposed to be that lone samurai in said mural.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 pm
KByrd wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:32 pm
2. What's Salunga's deal? Why does he want to destroy the computer? There's a reference to a genie and a lamp, so perhaps he "wants" it, but WHY? And why can't he die?
2. Good questions. I have a feeling it'll be developed or explained in season 2. It might be that Sarunga sensed that whatever calculation Shiva was running would lead to it's demise. Sarunga is very odd and I don't think it'll be the last of him.
(Very) late to the party, but I finally finished the series last night--I've been busy on other watching-and-writing projects. While watching the final episodes, I had the impression that Ashihara discovered the Singular Point in the cave in India, and that it was sort of a "portal to Hell" type of thing. Like a dimensional portal that wanted to suck our own universe into it. The Super Computer was built to both study it, contain it, and prevent that scenario from happening. Salunga understood that, so it attacked the computer so that the Singular Point would no longer be contained...or closed. That's what I thought, at least.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know I've said it before, but this show's version of JJ looks like Boss Borot from Mazinger Z

The designs of the kaiju in this show are one reason why I am still as of now reluctant to watch this show.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm The designs of the kaiju in this show are one reason why I am still as of now reluctant to watch this show.
Designs aside, you're not missing much. I honestly wouldn't rate it much higher than the anime trilogy.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Spuro wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:24 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm The designs of the kaiju in this show are one reason why I am still as of now reluctant to watch this show.
Designs aside, you're not missing much. I honestly wouldn't rate it much higher than the anime trilogy.
Explain why?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:25 pm
Explain why?
The show leans heavily into science and there's quite a lot of exposition sprinkled throughout. While I personally think they pulled it off, many others don't. Also notably, Godzilla doesn't appear properly until the second half.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:25 pm
Explain why?
My review from back when I watched it:
viewtopic.php?p=1843163#p1843163

TL/DR Version:

- Too much poorly explained psuedoscience and exposition delivered by characters rapid-fire texting each other. Rarely took advantage of the visual medium to explain its science.
- Shallow attempts to sound profound with random and unnecessary literary quotes. Extremely pretentious.
- Very poor pacing. The same things people give G14 shit over, Singular Point does tenfold. I hate to be the one to say "Not enuf Godzilla!" but there was, indeed, not enough Godzilla.
- Weak characters devoid of personality, aside from Mei, Goro, and the AI. But I hated the AI, unfortunately.
- Kaiju are regularly slain in droves by ordinary gun fire. After the fandom's reaction to G98, you'd think there'd be more of an outcry...
- Entire scenes are ripped off almost shot-for-shot from Shin Godzilla, leading to the Godzilla scenes to feel creatively bankrupt.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Spuro wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:46 pm
- Kaiju are regularly slain in droves by ordinary gun fire. After the fandom's reaction to G98, you'd think there'd be more of an outcry...
Because far fewer people give a rats ass for Manda and Rodan, especially when we already got a more traditional Rodan in the Monsterverse. With G98, it was meant to be Godzilla's big theatrical break into the west, the movie that would finally break him into the public mainstream... and what we got was vastly below expectations for something so monumental and important. In contrast, Singular Point is just one animated Godzilla series in a decent sized pool of Godzilla animated series, in a time with plenty of Godzilla stuff going around. So far fewer people care about the kaiju being gunned down by standard military weaponry here than G98 getting blasted open by missiles. And again, the fact it's either kaiju no one gives a rats ass about (Manda) or we just got a much more traditional portrayal of (Rodan) helps this out. And then there's Salunga who just never fucking dies...

And before you bring up Anguirus, remember he went down to a harpoon gun meant to kill giant whales, whales much bigger than Anguirus in Singular Point.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Giratina93 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:56 pm And again, the fact it's either kaiju no one gives a rats ass about (Manda)
Hey.

I give a rat's ass about that cool dragon. :(

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

The conventional weaponry killing the small Kaiju honestly isn’t that bad seeing as the important Kaiju are clearly displayed as much tougher. Godzilla doesn’t get that badly injured by any sort of conventional assault.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Besides they're also all still very much evolving. We already saw a hint of what Rodan might be evolving into. Besides I also think it was done for Godzilla to seem that much more powerful. The "GMK effect" if you will. I doubt this is the last we'll see of them.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kai heavily implied that the Angurius was a baby in how it was randomly running around when hey were searching for it originally. That and it quickly grew a bunch in a short span. There’s some information in the guide book I have that confirms this as well.

Don’t forget: it wasn’t just a harpoon gun, it was a harpoon gun mounted to a robot with precision aim(and later a mathematical genius saying when to fire).

I really hope that season 2 lives up to expectations, and delivers us some big monster brawls. Also, in retrospect, I’m fine with how the Rodan were handled. They were never individually a large threat, but the way they reappeared throughout the series and caused mayhem, rampaging in the small town, nyc, and repeated throughout made them really cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm I know I've said it before, but this show's version of JJ looks like Boss Borot from Mazinger Z

The designs of the kaiju in this show are one reason why I am still as of now reluctant to watch this show.
You should watch it anyways. Just so you can give your own thoughts on it.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:55 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:46 pm I know I've said it before, but this show's version of JJ looks like Boss Borot from Mazinger Z

You should watch it anyways. Just so you can give your own thoughts on it.
Doesn’t make the design itself any less shitty. Not that I won’t ever get around to watching the show when I feel like the time’s right.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Hey, regardless of whether it's a good show or not, take your time, Legendzilla. I STILL haven't gotten around to Camp Cretaceous yet. :lol:

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spuro wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:20 am Hey, regardless of whether it's a good show or not, take your time, Legendzilla. I STILL haven't gotten around to Camp Cretaceous yet. :lol:
Oh, dear… … … -_-
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Started episode one on Netflix last night to see how it looked on my TV, just now stopped on episode 8.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

A cool behind-the-scenes video popped up in my recommended on how they made the kaiju models for the show. It's really cool to see some of these models without the toon shader:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV-cV5vMvqA

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Singular Point is one of the six finalists for the Nihon SF Taisho Award (basically the Nebula Award of Japan).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:50 am Singular Point is one of the six finalists for the Nihon SF Taisho Award (basically the Nebula Award of Japan).
What are the other contenders?

Also, the same channel that posted the models also posted the deleted scenes that we saw in trailers. A lot of them looked really cool, and while I wish they were included it takes a moment to realize why they were cut: many of them don't make sense in the internal logic of the series. Still, there was one great one of Godzilla running forward, and man he looked scary!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.