Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
phillipw1954
Samurai

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 8)

Post by phillipw1954 »

Honestly I'm starting to wonder when we'll actually get to see Godzilla Ultima after EvaGhidorah01's find. I wonder if the show will play out like the previous leaks but instead of there being this form that "puts Shin Godzilla to shame" it'll just be Godzilla Ultima after this new "Form C". It'd be weird for Toho to reveal the final form before the episode aired but they did it with Shin back when that was releasing. They hid the first two forms yet Shin Godzilla's fourth form was everywhere. So far Toho had hidden Aquilitas and Amphibia but have showcased Ultima pretty freely (which I think does make some since as they'd want to put "Godzilla" at the forefront of marketing). Honestly as long as the story for the next few episodes is great then I kinda don't care if they save Ultima for the final ep or so. I'm all down for more forms.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

based on the rate they go through transformations, I'm willing to bet we have Godzilla C for episode 9 and maybe 10, with ultima showing up at the end of 10.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I love the show even though I don’t understand a word of what they’re saying about the multi-verse or something, and I strangely love it

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Alright, we are at the halfway point so I guess I'll post my thoughts on the actual show and not just the dumbass decisions they've made with the kaiju.

If I had to describe Singular Point in one word: Generic. It's not a bad show, but it isn't anything special, everything about it is just average and generic. Every character is an archetype I've seen in a thousand other anime (done better most of the time). The dialogue is mostly just technobabble and that really hurts the show and reminds me a lot of the polygon trilogy. I saw someone on twitter claiming that this anime is getting negative reviews, and given how anybody who watches a lot of anime has seen everything in this but done better, it wouldn't shock me at all if this is true.

Now we haven't seen much of Godzilla himself, but from what we have seen they are just repeating shin Godzilla again. He evolves from phase to phase, his attacks look very similar to shin's and he even overheats himself while evolving or whatever. I didn't like it with Shin, but I could at least appreciate that it was an original take. Now that they are taking away that originality by just repeating themselves I don't like anything about it.

I may or may not finish the series when it's all out. It's way better than the polygon trilogy, but I can't take much more of "Oh I've seen this trope before" before I go insane.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:28 pmEvery character is an archetype
funny
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I am still loving this. While the technical dialogue and evolving Godzilla is kinda reminiscent of Shin Godzilla I still find this much more fresh and original than the mediocre slog that is the monsterverse. These kaiju redesigns are still top notch. I loved seeing the Kumonga show up as well as Amphibia's ice breath. Godzilla never has really had an association with ice before. At least not in his own movies/shows. All I know of is Snow Godzilla, which of course was also pretty cool despite being more of a cameo. Anyway it is not perfect there are a few things I have against it, mainly the lack of actual Godzilla, but still I find this to be very enjoyable and it only gets better each episode. If that supposed Godzilla final form thing is legit than I just plain can't wait to see it!

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:28 pm The dialogue is mostly just technobabble and that really hurts the show and reminds me a lot of the polygon trilogy.
Technobabble's probably the wrong term here. SP's actually based in real physics, especially in how it uses Archetype (even if scientific concepts are occasionally mildly fudged/simplified for the sake of the show).

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:28 pm If I had to describe Singular Point in one word: Generic. It's not a bad show, but it isn't anything special, everything about it is just average and generic. Every character is an archetype I've seen in a thousand other anime (done better most of the time).
Can you give an actual example? Anyone could say X or Y is generic, it's a meaningless term here. I'll be blunt when I say I've seen probably just as much anime as you, but have no clue what you're talking about. In the context of Godzilla series, having a focus on a Graduate Student and a programmer is pretty unique. In the first few episodes I think Mei's background in imaginary and fantastical creatures is something I've never seen addressed or discussed often in SF in general, and when she begins to interact with Pelops 2 and Li an interesting game of cat and mouse plays out. Yun and Havel have a unique back and forth, with Yun being reserved, and Havel being a little dumber (but not to the point of flanderization). The two of them have an interesting philosophical talk in episode 7 while they're walking to the bus. Ootaki is an old man, but he isn't a stereotypical pervert or some old wise master. He's a crazy conspiracy theorist who spent his life fortune on trying to save the world, and is gung-ho. I haven't seen a Godzilla product, or anime that's focused on a whacky electric company; I'm sure there might be one out there but hey. I like a lot of the relationships between the characters, and resolving things through communication. This is before getting into the character designs themselves which are stellar all around.

I've seen a lot of anime and I just disagree with this post. I just am clueless as what you're talking about. Please list supposed better anime where this is done better.

If you want to get technical, the animation and colors are very visually distinct from other anime. On one hand it's "realistic" but it still manages to be very colorful and visually distinct. Minus a very few select moments, the 3D in the show has been executed near perfectly and is very easy to follow. This is before saying that I predict the last 5 episodes will have more action than the first few.

Just the locations in the show (Mishakako, The Sea Louse Nest, Shiva Pit, Ootaki Factory etc...) are all also visually distinct enough to stand out.
The dialogue is mostly just technobabble and that really hurts the show and reminds me a lot of the polygon trilogy. I saw someone on twitter claiming that this anime is getting negative reviews, and given how anybody who watches a lot of anime has seen everything in this but done better, it wouldn't shock me at all if this is true.
Someone above me addresses this, but it's more than just "technobabble". It's fine if you find it boring, really that's cool. I also hard disagree about it being similar to the polygon trilogy. That more focused on making stuff up to explain critical plot elements, such as why the earth changed and why it's hard to kill Godzilla. This seems to be doing the reverse, and using those elements in service of the plot. But again, what anime has it been done better in?

This entire post reads as you preemptively deciding to hate on something, and are continuing to do so in order to confirm your own biases. I could be wrong, but your post also reads as though you haven't actually watched the series and are just basing your beliefs on what someone else said on twitter due to some inconsistencies between your post and the show.

I'll say this, but I think that while although the series borrows heavily from Shin, it's a bit crazy criticizing a Godzilla movie for being "too much like the previous Godzilla", especially since most people would consider that a positive. I also disagree it's exactly like Shin, because where Shin was rooted in grounded reality in order to provide a political satire and a disaster film, SP is mostly a hard SF series with mysteries, monsters and action.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun May 16, 2021 8:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I just look at Amphiba's render, Toho is cold hearted for making him look that much like Varan. At least Aquatils looked different enough people argued it wasn't a Titano redesign but that is clearly Varan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

https://youtu.be/RG0mSIerEsI

Megalon and Gigan are mentioned in this preview. Kamanga/Hanega is not the name of the spiders? If anyone can give context or clarify what's being said, please I'm really curious if that's actually the right takeaway here
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:54 am https://youtu.be/RG0mSIerEsI

Megalon and Gigan are mentioned in this preview. Kamanga/Hanega is not the name of the spiders? If anyone can give context or clarify what's being said, please I'm really curious if that's actually the right takeaway here
That dialogue is not from the episode. It's just Pero 2's voice actor explaining some trivia and a brief rundown of Gigan and Megalon.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Lesko wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 pm I am still loving this. While the technical dialogue and evolving Godzilla is kinda reminiscent of Shin Godzilla I still find this much more fresh and original than the mediocre slog that is the monsterverse. These kaiju redesigns are still top notch. I loved seeing the Kumonga show up as well as Amphibia's ice breath. Godzilla never has really had an association with ice before. At least not in his own movies/shows. All I know of is Snow Godzilla, which of course was also pretty cool despite being more of a cameo. Anyway it is not perfect there are a few things I have against it, mainly the lack of actual Godzilla, but still I find this to be very enjoyable and it only gets better each episode. If that supposed Godzilla final form thing is legit than I just plain can't wait to see it!
I don’t like how they make Godzilla from SP have self mutation. Imo, just takes the uniqueness of Shin Godzilla away. I would’ve preferred if he was more like Legendary Godzilla, being awoken when humanity starts using the archetype, now that might be the case here, but I would’ve preferred it without self mutation.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Denis wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 am
Lesko wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:47 pm I am still loving this. While the technical dialogue and evolving Godzilla is kinda reminiscent of Shin Godzilla I still find this much more fresh and original than the mediocre slog that is the monsterverse. These kaiju redesigns are still top notch. I loved seeing the Kumonga show up as well as Amphibia's ice breath. Godzilla never has really had an association with ice before. At least not in his own movies/shows. All I know of is Snow Godzilla, which of course was also pretty cool despite being more of a cameo. Anyway it is not perfect there are a few things I have against it, mainly the lack of actual Godzilla, but still I find this to be very enjoyable and it only gets better each episode. If that supposed Godzilla final form thing is legit than I just plain can't wait to see it!
I don’t like how they make Godzilla from SP have self mutation. Imo, just takes the uniqueness of Shin Godzilla away. I would’ve preferred if he was more like Legendary Godzilla, being awoken when humanity starts using the archetype, now that might be the case here, but I would’ve preferred it without self mutation.
Well, to be fair, we don't really know what's going on with Godzilla as of now-He might just be "maturing" like a frog growing from a tadpole as opposed to Shin's self-controlled mutation at will. I think it's a neat way of referencing little-known kaiju that were based off of Godzilla in the past.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

I think what's happening to Godzilla is pretty similar to BB's explanation of the different archetype forms, where different positionings of the actual archetype through linear time result in different shapes and materials. Each form of Godzilla probably represents a different form/tier of archetype, with godzilla likely trying to reach higher tiers in order to better impose his reality on us. Aquitalis, Amphibia, the unnamed one, and Ultima aren't evolutions so much as they are different reflections of the singular point.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

I hope we see Godzilla C in today's episode. And then Godzilla Ultima in next week. Or hopefully in today's cliff hanger ending.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

vastatosaurus wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:44 pm I hope we see Godzilla C in today's episode. And then Godzilla Ultima in next week. Or hopefully in today's cliff hanger ending.
I feel like Godzilla Ultima will appear in the cliffhanger. I predict Godzilla C will appear in the opening stinger/sequence, and the rest of the episode will focus on it, Jet Jaguar and maybe Sarunga. Time to get the ball rolling. I feel like since Godzilla Ultima is a big deal, it'll be a cliff hanger.

Any other predictions? DAMN I'm excited!

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:18 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 6:44 pm I hope we see Godzilla C in today's episode. And then Godzilla Ultima in next week. Or hopefully in today's cliff hanger ending.
I feel like Godzilla Ultima will appear in the cliffhanger. I predict Godzilla C will appear in the opening stinger/sequence, and the rest of the episode will focus on it, Jet Jaguar and maybe Sarunga. Time to get the ball rolling. I feel like since Godzilla Ultima is a big deal, it'll be a cliff hanger.

Any other predictions? DAMN I'm excited!
Definitely something more about the bugs from the last episode. Maybe we might see the other types?
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Really hoping there's some good time spent with Godzilla C this episode.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojira2K wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:54 pm Definitely something more about the bugs from the last episode. Maybe we might see the other types?
I noticed that some more accurately have Gigan claws in the trailer, as well as wings.
I assume that this episode 9 and episode 8 will sort of be a one and done thing with those monsters (maybe I'm wrong), and the monsters will reveal something about archetype or some sort of problem we aren't privy too.

I'd be happy pacing wise if:
-Sarunga Escapes
-Godzilla C is born and goes on a small proper rampage (it's about time for some proper destruction)
-Ootaki and JJ fight the insect creatures
-Minimal expository scenes with Mei (just a few cutaways would be fine enough)
-Maybe something with the skeleton?