Godzilla Singular Point FULL SPOILERS AHEAD

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Godzilla S.P. Weekly Spoiler Thread (Episode 1 to 8)

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Moth wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:02 am
shadowgigan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am Rewatching the series from the beginning, I never saw those Hedorah drawings in the first scene of the first episode.

Please don’t set up Ghidorah as a big bad. Yes I love the character but am kind of burnt out on Ghiddy.
How are they setting him up? I've watched all the episodes so far and haven't seen anything.

Also if Jet Jaguar dies, we riot.
Robots don't really die.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

shadowgigan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:59 am
TyrantGojira wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:51 am
shadowgigan wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:35 am Rewatching the series from the beginning, I never saw those Hedorah drawings in the first scene of the first episode.

Please don’t set up Ghidorah as a big bad. Yes I love the character but am kind of burnt out on Ghiddy.
We all are at this point.
I'm hoping, if not Sarunga, then its either a kaiju we haven't seen in years or a completely new monster.
I wouldn’t worry. The CGWorld article specifically lists them trying to use “minor” or less well-known monsters in the series. Ghidorah would be the dumb easy way out, and they’ve shown some interest in making new designs, concepts and creatures.

Added in 34 minutes 51 seconds:
Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:46 am There are some people on the Godzilla subreddit hailing that “leak” as 100% true despite a lot of its aspects one could easily inference from the OP alone, and some parts not even making any sense (how could the Rodan with Godzilla spines not be related to Godzilla at all???)

Seeing how gullible this fandom is makes me want to pull my eyeballs out :lol:
Semi-agreed here, but the appearance of the mask changes everything. I'm not interesting in debating whether a "leak" is right or wrong, and it hasn't really revealed to us anything other than, "oh shit Sarunga is a big deal", or will become a big deal. I saw what you're referring to on reddit, and it's strange that people are taking "Varan" as evidence. You made it clear, but yeah people instantly made out Varan's outline in the intro and then surmised that it would be a Godzilla form.

Also, here's the "new monster":
Spoiler:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 12, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:46 am There are some people on the Godzilla subreddit hailing that “leak” as 100% true despite a lot of its aspects one could easily inference from the OP alone, and some parts not even making any sense (how could the Rodan with Godzilla spines not be related to Godzilla at all???)

Semi-agreed here, but the appearance of the mask changes everything. I'm not interesting in debating whether a "leak" is right or wrong, and it hasn't really revealed to us anything other than, "oh shit Sarunga is a big deal", or will become a big deal. I saw what you're referring to on reddit, and it's strange that people are taking "Varan" as evidence. You made it clear, but yeah people instantly made out Varan's outline in the intro and then surmised that it would be a Godzilla form
I believe Jerm's referring to a different leak that made its way onto the subreddit, one that's been thoroughly debunked since it was posted.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm honestly gonna be kinda upset if Ultima and Salunga don't throw down sometime in the future.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

NSZ wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:24 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 pm

Semi-agreed here, but the appearance of the mask changes everything. I'm not interesting in debating whether a "leak" is right or wrong, and it hasn't really revealed to us anything other than, "oh poop Sarunga is a big deal", or will become a big deal. I saw what you're referring to on reddit, and it's strange that people are taking "Varan" as evidence. You made it clear, but yeah people instantly made out Varan's outline in the intro and then surmised that it would be a Godzilla form
I believe Jerm's referring to a different leak that made its way onto the subreddit, one that's been thoroughly debunked since it was posted.
I think so too.
LSD is talking about the recent leak posted by Stefano, which I don't know if it's real or not yet.

The leak Jermobooka is talking about is much more spurious.

Someone at G subreddit tried to disprove this leak. Check it out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... chan_leak/

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:28 pm I'm honestly gonna be kinda upset if Ultima and Salunga don't throw down sometime in the future.
Sarunga got those big hands for a reason!

I'll be upset too. I like the series so far, and I'm fine with it aping Shin, but if it's gonna do that it better deliver in ways that shin didn't. It also needs to stop reserving most of the Godzilla action to the first 2 mins of the episode. I loved the brief scene with Amphibia in this episode but damn, I wanna see more!

Also, one big thing:
Both Aquatalis and Amphibia are names on the toys. They're not referred to as such, including in press materials. Aquatalis is referred to as an underwater monster, and isn't actually given a name. Amphibia is just called Godzilla.

I was a bit upset that Aquatalis didn't get much screen time, but he did a lot!:
-Sank a sub
-Killed multiple Manda, one on screen and the one from episode 8 that washes up

Amphibia while brief:
-Super Durability
-Can release some cooling vapor that seems to be super combustible.
-Can self destruct like a miniature nuclear bomb

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
vastatosaurus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:33 pm I think so too.
LSD is talking about the recent leak posted by Stefano, which I don't know if it's real or not yet.

The leak Jermobooka is talking about is much more spurious.

Someone at G subreddit tried to disprove this leak. Check it out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... chan_leak/
Got it. Calling Salunga "Gabara" is evidence within itself the leak is fake. The CG World Article I posted, and the concept art make it abundantly clear that Sarunga was never Gabara, and that rather they incorporated elements of Baragon and Gabara to be more monstrous.

However, the other leak, the one that Mr. Stefano posted, instantly gave credibility with the lion mane.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 12, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Points of interest in the recent episode:

- It seems that Ashihara's research was about predicting/calculating the future, using some kind of super calculator. In theory, this calculator should have worked perfectly; but as it seems, the further he tried to look in the future, the more uneven the results would get. Every time he ran the calculator, the answer would be different. This seemingly inevitable phenomenon has been termed the Ashihara disintegration point.
So Mei is trying to figure out the reason to this error and how to avoid it. She flips through Ashihara's notes and discovers his sketch of what looks like a myriad of eyes (the drawing that is briefly shown when the opening theme plays). Apparently, each of the eyes represent the super calculator. Multiple calculators co-exist in competition with each other and produce conflicting results, which is the reason that every time a calculation was run, the results would be different.
Initially, Mei presumed that this calculator was some kind of giant Archetype, but she starts to figure out that the calculators are actually singularities (or singular points) themselves, and each of the "eyes" represent the universe. The eye shape represents time bending around each singular point.

So basically, it seems that there are multiple universes and multiple singular points existing in some sort of network...?

- Godzilla Amphibia's breath attack is incredibly bizarre. It looks a lot like Shin's explosive gas attack (which I assume to be an intentional homage) but it's different. He lets loose a stream of freezing gas from his mouth, which "absorbs" the fire from nearby artillery shell explosions. Godzilla then rapidly heats up, drawing in the Red Dust from around him, and then causes a large explosion which decimates the nearby area. The explosion produces intense heat and is powerful enough to decimate the surrounding area, but it's not Shin-level in terms of destruction (as of yet).
In the aftermath of the explosion, the Red Dust settles down like snow. And for some reason, some street lamp posts that were in the epicenter of the explosion have been geometrically "warped"; not by the heat, but by some funky physics which may be related to the Red dust.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vandarker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:32 pm Points of interest in the recent episode:

- It seems that Ashihara's research was about predicting/calculating the future, using some kind of super calculator. In theory, this calculator should have worked perfectly; but as it seems, the further he tried to look in the future, the more uneven the results would get. Every time he ran the calculator, the answer would be different. This seemingly inevitable phenomenon has been termed the Ashihara disintegration point.
So Mei is trying to figure out the reason to this error and how to avoid it. She flips through Ashihara's notes and discovers his sketch of what looks like a myriad of eyes (the drawing that is briefly shown when the opening theme plays). Apparently, each of the eyes represent the super calculator. Multiple calculators co-exist in competition with each other and produce conflicting results, which is the reason that every time a calculation was run, the results would be different.
Initially, Mei presumed that this calculator was some kind of giant Archetype, but she starts to figure out that the calculators are actually singularities (or singular points) themselves, and each of the "eyes" represent the universe. The eye shape represents time bending around each singular point.

So basically, it seems that there are multiple universes and multiple singular points existing in some sort of network...?

- Godzilla Amphibia's breath attack is incredibly bizarre. It looks a lot like Shin's explosive gas attack (which I assume to be an intentional homage) but it's different. He lets loose a stream of freezing gas from his mouth, which "absorbs" the fire from nearby artillery shell explosions. Godzilla then rapidly heats up, drawing in the Red Dust from around him, and then causes a large explosion which decimates the nearby area. The explosion produces intense heat and is powerful enough to decimate the surrounding area, but it's not Shin-level in terms of destruction (as of yet).
In the aftermath of the explosion, the Red Dust settles down like snow. And for some reason, some street lamp posts that were in the epicenter of the explosion have been geometrically "warped"; not by the heat, but by some funky physics which may be related to the Red dust.
Yeah, all of this is very interesting. I hope they give some plausible explanations to it all. Also, notice that JJ playing with the kids sort of parallels the theme of predicting the future. I don't think time travel is necessarily at play here (thankfully), but more the idea that you can make enough predicts to see the future. I just also hope this all connects with Godzilla nicely.

Pelops 2 discusses "competition" between archetypes and futures; is it possible Godzilla and Sarunga are just physical avatars of those networks/singular points?

I'm really curious about the bugs though. I noticed they directly attack humans and are presumably eating them. How does this all click together? I need to know!

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:50 pm Pelops 2 discusses "competition" between archetypes and futures; is it possible Godzilla and Sarunga are just physical avatars of those networks/singular points?
...does this imply that Godzilla and Salunga are living manifestations of black holes?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I admit, might just be the subs, but last few episodes what's going on has kinda started to get lost on me. Can someone summarize?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Desghidorah wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 6:19 pm I admit, might just be the subs, but last few episodes what's going on has kinda started to get lost on me. Can someone summarize?
It's not "the subs"; they're great imo especially for explaining such a big and complex thing. Okay, here we go:

Ashihara discovered a new material that he dubbed "archetype" in jellyfish. A trace amount of it existed, and from there he began to experiment with medical applications of it. However, I think he realized that something greater could have been discovered from it, and set out to research it, and founded the Shiva Consortium. Presumably, Li and BB were part of this, assisted him later down the line or adapted his research in his own way. Tilda and Micheal Stevens come in later, and it seems Stevens is more interested in Archetype as an energy source, not some world ending thing.

Ashihara, due to a trigger we have not been able to surmise, seems to uncovered something larger. The raw archetype (the red dust) is a primitive form of archetype, but it can be changed and altered. BB explains that the molecules of Archetype don't change, but rather our realities interpretation of it changes (this makes sense through a visualization of a Rubik's cube and shadow in episode 8.

Presumably, Li or Ashihara was able to turn the raw dust into the Archetype we see in episode 4, the one that refracts light differently. Because of this strange reaction to light it's possible to see the future. This is all sort of speculative fiction, but basically our eyes and reality are interpreted by light and the movement of it, and humans have evolved living in a world of light moving forward. However, if that were to change, and all things sort of already existed, you'd be able to see the future by merely being able to see the light ahead; this is what Angurius seems to do. Mei theorizes this on the plane scene with Li in episode 7, indicating that if light is consistent and is "hitting reality" at the same time, then despite human perceptions, everything is simultaneously existing at once (I might be wrong on this part). There are multiple realities/worlds existing at once, in addition to that initial timeline.

The Easter eggs are Easter eggs, but also possible evidence of the SP reality being a different interpretation of other Godzilla timelines. While this is sort of dumb, if you want to think of it like this, SP essentially opens a doorway for all Godzilla incarnations and series to exist in one larger multi-verse: Ie it connects: Showa, Heisei, Millennium, Reiwa, Monsterverse, 1998's timeline, the comics, etc...into one easy package. It also explains why monsters change appearance and demeanor from Godzilla entry to entry. I'm glad though that the narrative doesn't focus on this, it's just a byproduct of what's being established.

The OD, I believe, is just a crude weapon created from a loose understanding of Archetype. You can make the red dust reshape into a solid mass that causes massive damage. Similar to the Oxygen Destroyer, it's sort of like how in Godzilla vs. Destoroyah micro oxygen could have vast scientific applications but was used to make a weapon.

Somehow, Ashihara seems to have invented a machine or device that was able to interpret the future, or not really the future, but sort of a map of reality. Something changed however. The reality that we are witnessing, seems to have been intercepted by something, a "rival" as Pelops 2 puts it.

We also know that Archetype is not "natural" to this reality, or at least to the public world, because of the scientists in episode 2 and 3 stating the red dust found in Rodan's body is not found anywhere else. The Rodan need that to survive, as shown by the fact that they start to die off once they're outside it. It's their food. The Rodan also lack a lot of genes and other things that are "natural" to Earth's living creatures. Rodan's roars also release radio waves that at this series can generate energy. They're drawn to radio waves.

Regarding the monsters, it appears that they're either from another dimension full of Archetype, where Godzilla, or other bigger monsters, produce crude archetype, red dust (I think). I believe the "strange beam" that gets fired by Godzilla Amphibia in episode 8, is Godzilla consuming his version of archetype, one that we cannot see or perceive. I don't think it's a cooling wave, but rather the energy being absorbed from the air. Sarunga was shown in episode 7 to be able to control archetype by pushing it upwards to mask it's presence from BB and his team so they couldn't easily fire on it.

The Rodan seem to be like birds that follow Godzilla around. Godzilla and Sarunga release crude archetype as waste. As long as the Rodan have that they're alright. They're said to have "gills", which function as a way of getting the crude archetype. It also explains how they can exist both underwater (end of episode 2) and in the air.

At first, I thought that Angurius was different from Rodan and the other monsters, because it eats a Rodan corpse, but then I realized the Rodan still have archetype in them. Angurius needs the archetype to survive too, it's its food. Manda is strange. I presume they are like big Tuna fish and/or are like Godzilla and can produce crude archetype (not as much as Godzilla). It seems like Godzilla Aquatalis was eating them to get more archetype.

No clue about the bug monsters and Hedorah.

No clue about the Godzilla skeleton.

Could be wrong on all this, but this is as best as I understand it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed May 12, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

To add to the above, we know that the song from the first episode came from the Godzilla skeleton, and that Kai (the Journalist) is somehow involved with that.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Due to character designs and what I initially believed the direction was going to be for this series, I wasn't expecting much beyond a generic anime series I'd drop after two episodes.

Needless to say? I was proven heavily wrong.

While I have more than a few issues with a cutesier art style in animated series for stories that would benefit having a more detailed approach, Godzilla: Singular Point so far is definitely one of the best series I've seen in 2021. It has the bones and heart of the better films of the franchise, and compounded with the spoilerish Easter eggs in its ED? It's really raised my expectations. Once I get more into the series, I believe I can expect more from it.

The human drama is spot on. The writing actualyl makes me care about the characters versus being fodder until we can enjoy the fights. It's surprisingly grounded and believable that truly lends to making the world feel more lived in and believable. The fact I can care about even the sketchier characters like Mr. Yamamoto feels like a plus. It really lends to itself in episode 3 where we finally see the stakes of a kaiju interaction, where Yun and Goro helped fight off a Rodan with Jet Jaguar. Even at their best, their current machine can't handle one small Rodan. It'd die with that swarm and basically stomped or ignored by anything like in the classic Toho iterations.

Seeing some actual stakes that can't be resolved right away with some convenient plot device was what truly sold the show to me, if it wasn't the fact it has focused so much plot and details on the human element of the series. I was fulyl expecting the monsters to be the primary focus while the character development suffered, but I actually care about them unlike the characters in Kong vs. Godzilla for the most part. A really enjoyable movie, a person on Reddit compared the human scenes to Revenge of the Fallen, and I had to agree. Here? At least the characters feel like they're a part of the actual plot than being cardboard cutouts for the box office. I skipped King of the Monsters 2019 due to word of mouth, aside from Gareth Edwards not doing it.

It really feels like the best Godzilla-related media I've seen since Shin Godzilla and 2014.

That said, I really have softer spot for eccentric genius characters, and Goro's hilarity really humanizes him. He's not as comedic as say, Maurice from Beauty and the Beast [ like a cross between him and Old Man McGucket once he regained his sanity], but Goro definitely knows his stuff. I also love the character interactions between Yun, Mei and Haberu. I haven't quite seen younger characters in the franchise having such decent interactions since GMK or 1984. There's no contrived love triangles so far, they feel like actual people, and their relation to each other feels far more natural than a series of trumped up conveniences like in Kong vs Godzilla.

Three episodes in, Godzilla's skeleton is a really interesting thing to think of when it comes to Kiryu in the ending credits,given in Godzilla x MechaGodzilla, the skeleton was Kiryu's origin story. Especially Biollante, given there's another more seaworthy Godzilla variation out there as well that I glimpsed before watching the show. The fact this organization has Godzilla's skeleton makes me believe Kiryu will likely build off Jet Jaguar unless Godzilla regrows his flesh somehow.

Then there's the Rodan Tengu and kaiju in history. It clearly happened before with many of the monsters. But Yokai Hedorah? I love that concept. it feels like such a no-brainer but I love that version. I wonder if turning fully into Fire Rodan is how that massive version is created.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

The pseudo-science in this damn show is mind boggling. You’d need a PHD to understand what the fuck is going on without an English dub :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GojiSquid wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:12 pm To add to the above, we know that the song from the first episode came from the Godzilla skeleton, and that Kai (the Journalist) is somehow involved with that.
Yes. Also, the big question is where Angurius (and the other monsters) came from. I realized that Kai conveniently shows up right where Angurius is, as though he has somehow lured them there. I think it's easy to say that he's not a journalist (an excuse that would also give him easy explanations for why he is in certain areas/where some of the monsters are from. I don't suspect BB, Tilda or Micheal of being evil but Kai is definitely the most suspicious. I suspect he knows more than anyone, and might be from another reality or where the catastrophe has already occurred. The Spear of Angurius is vital to defeating or stopping all this.

Also, I'm watching the trailer, and wow, we have pretty much seen everything in the first three trailers, except for the weird Rodan, and Godzilla Ultima. I think from here on out a lot will happen that we weren't previously privy to. Would not be surprised if there's some secret monsters (an adult Angurius for example) or stuff they're saving. I won't be disappointed if Angurius doesn't come back, but I like the implication that the one they fought was a baby and that there's a giant more ferocious one with presumably more control of it's time seeing abilities.

Added in 1 minute 5 seconds:
Bigdog wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:17 pm-snip-
Pretty much agreed with everything state here, so long as we get some big action in the final stretch. Long rampages and some big fights etc...

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

While everybody's talking about the 'Big Bad' of the series, I don't think there will be any, not necesarily. It's either Godzilla himself or there's none in particular.
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed May 12, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:30 pm The pseudo-science in this damn show is mind boggling. You’d need a PHD to understand what the skreeonk is going on without an English dub :lol:
Did you steal my post and repost it on Reddit :evil:
Spoiler:
whatever :JetJaguar:

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:46 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:30 pm The pseudo-science in this damn show is mind boggling. You’d need a PHD to understand what the skreeonk is going on without an English dub :lol:
Did you steal my post and repost it on Reddit :evil:
Spoiler:
whatever :JetJaguar:
yes

I wanna see how people would react to that huge wall of text :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: