Could Godzilla Vs Ultraman ever happen?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Could Godzilla Vs Ultraman ever happen?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hello once again, LegendZilla here. For years, a very popular dream match among fans of the Kaiju genre has been that of Godzilla Vs Ultraman, along with the idea of Godzilla Vs Gamera. Someone brought this up in another thread, but do any of you think that such a film has a chance of actually coming out in our lifetime?

Many of you are surely skeptics and naysayers to this idea, but if we live in a world in which Godzilla will finally get a rematch with Kong, I’d say anything’s possible. Given that Toho themselves are producing Shin Ultraman with Tsuburaya productions, I would say that increases the likelihood as well. At the end of the day, what is your stance on Godzilla and Ultraman having a cinematic face off? Do you like it, or do you think it’s a mere pipe dream and should remain that way?

For those of you who actually do support the idea, what do you think should happen in the film? What do you imagine the premise being like and what other monsters could appear? I would appreciate if you could all refrain from bringing up Jiras.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Re: Could Godzilla Vs Ultraman ever happen?

Post by kaijukurt »

I think a Godzilla/Ultraman crossover is way more plausible than a Godzilla vs Gamera crossover, given the greater popularity/iconic status (and potential $$$) of Ultraman. Plus you have the Shin Ultraman connection like you mentioned.

If not a movie, then maybe merchandise crossovers like the Godzilla/Evangelion stuff.

If it ever happened, I’d definitely be excited for it! I guess it’d be more of a story with Godzilla mysteriously appearing in the Ultraverse. A Godzilla vs Red King match up would be neat too.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I think they already made one back in the 70s, called Zone Fighter.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I can see Shin Ultraman's marketing campaign featuring some Shin Godzilla crossover (or maybe some Evangelion crossover instead idk) an actual crossover though? Eh.. not sure. I doubt Shin G and Shin U are connected, and Tsuburaya doesn't really do actual, full on crossovers.
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

I mean the fact that both films seem to be going for similar approaches does help make the idea possible. For crying out loud we were able to get an Evangelion and Shin Godzilla crossover in the form of a ride at Universal so it's certainly possible.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

kaijuguy19 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:44 am I mean the fact that both films seem to be going for similar approaches does help make the idea possible. For crying out loud we were able to get an Evangelion and Shin Godzilla crossover in the form of a ride at Universal so it's certainly possible.
Oh, damn, that could totally work. Just do another 4D ride.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

I don't see it happened but I wholly support it!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:51 am I think they already made one back in the 70s, called Zone Fighter.
And before that...
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:56 amI would appreciate if you could all refrain from bringing up Jiras.
Oh.
Last edited by tbeasley on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

You'd be better off banking on the mentioned merch and 4D ride collabs.
A film or something? ...maybe
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:56 amI would appreciate if you could all refrain from bringing up Jiras.
The phrasing of this is really hilarious, you're acting like Jirass is an abusive ex or something.

Denis
Monsterland Worker

Post by Denis »

Maybe like a 4D ride. Like Shin Godzilla vs Shin Ultraman ride or something. A film though, would be somewhat interesting. If it does happen, it’s going to make a lot of money.
Last edited by Denis on Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Denis wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:13 am Maybe like a 4D ride. Like Shin Godzilla vs Shin Ultraman ride or something. A film though, would be somewhat interesting. If it does happen, it’s going to make a lot of money.
You know what, that's not a bad idea! That should definitely happen! Would be an easy excuse to throw in an extra Ultraman alien, just like they did with Eva.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

For real though I can see it happening in some capacity, especially post Shin Godzilla/Ultraman, similar to the Godzilla vs. Evangelion ride. As for an actual film, it's probably more likely than Godzilla vs Gamera ever will.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I mean, 10 years ago I'd have said Godzilla vs. Eva would never happen so, who knows?

I don't think it be a full length feature film as much as it is a short film.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I would love for it to happen

The most plausible way to do it would be to do a Shin Godzilla/Shin Ultraman cross promotion Vs. ride or something like that given just how damn popular Shin has become
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I believe it'll happen one day, the franchises are destined to. Now, I hope the first crossover is in tokusatsu, mainly to honor Eiji Tsuburaya's hand in crafting these two icons of Japan.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 am I believe it'll happen one day, the franchises are destined to. Now, I hope the first crossover is in tokusatsu, mainly to honor Eiji Tsuburaya's hand in crafting these two icons of Japan.
I don't see Godzilla going back to suitmation. Especially not in a movie. So movie Godzilla vs movie Ultraman, it's going to be CGI. You can hope what you want, but it'd be hope wasted.

Also, I don't think it's destined either. I mean, I'd like for it to happen, and it certainly could happen, but it's no done deal. As with most things, guarantees aren't being offered. They're own by two different competing studios. It's like saying Batman and Spider-Man will crossover on the big screen in the next few decades, I don't think WB or Disney would play nice. Now, are Toho and Tsuburaya Productions like WB and Disney? I have no clue. They may be willing to collaborate more. But we can't assume that they will or must.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:56 am I would appreciate if you could all refrain from bringing up Jiras.
Got a grudge against Jirahs? Did he harm you?
For Emperor and Empire!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Vakanai wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:16 am
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:55 am I believe it'll happen one day, the franchises are destined to. Now, I hope the first crossover is in tokusatsu, mainly to honor Eiji Tsuburaya's hand in crafting these two icons of Japan.
I don't see Godzilla going back to suitmation. Especially not in a movie. So movie Godzilla vs movie Ultraman, it's going to be CGI. You can hope what you want, but it'd be hope wasted.

Also, I don't think it's destined either. I mean, I'd like for it to happen, and it certainly could happen, but it's no done deal. As with most things, guarantees aren't being offered. They're own by two different competing studios. It's like saying Batman and Spider-Man will crossover on the big screen in the next few decades, I don't think WB or Disney would play nice. Now, are Toho and Tsuburaya Productions like WB and Disney? I have no clue. They may be willing to collaborate more. But we can't assume that they will or must.
I'd want Godzilla to only go back to suitmation for this particular crossover, the new Ultra shows and projects use toku and they look great. Nah, I don't think it's hope wasted. Especially in a Japanese project, a battle between Godzilla & Ultras is bound to have one encounter be in tokusatsu. Be it a special event, or an actual film. Every other main Godzilla project can remain CGI.

Not destined? Godzilla fought the Evas of all things, who would've saw that coming were it not for Anno's work in the Godzilla franchise? Sure, Godzilla and Ultraman are from two different studios, but they share a same creator. That's my whole reason :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:39 am
LegendZilla wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:56 am I would appreciate if you could all refrain from bringing up Jiras.
Got a grudge against Jirahs? Did he harm you?
Keep your snarky remarks to yourself. What I am saying is that cheap knockoffs don’t count.