Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:26 pm Apparently Godzilla's mouth and jaws were inspired by looking at a Smilodon skull.
Not that I don’t believe you, but what’s the source on that? The CG world article?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

If anything Godzilla's mouth and jaw looks to be more Oni inspired especially when you're looking at his face from the front angle.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:02 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:26 pm Apparently Godzilla's mouth and jaws were inspired by looking at a Smilodon skull.
Not that I don’t believe you, but what’s the source on that? The CG world article?
Yeah I believe so. Monstrosities mentioned it in their Kaiju of Singular Point video.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I'd believe it on account of all the monsters being very clearly prehistoric inspired. Or at least animal inspired.

Salunga looks very synapsid, Manda has prehistoric fish and sea invertebrate traits, Rodan is straight up a Pteranodon, etc.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:12 pmKojima loves Singular Point
goated
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:12 pm Kojima loves Singular Point. :lol:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/intere ... nt/.173562
This Hideo Kojima guy has some shit taste, yo.
Spoiler:
:P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

So, what seems to be the consensus for Singular Point so far?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Anguirus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 pm So, what seems to be the consensus for Singular Point so far?
Most people seem to agree that while it has it's flaws, it's still a mostly enjoyable anime and still way better than what the heck Polygon churned out a few years ago

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:58 pm
Anguirus wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:53 pm So, what seems to be the consensus for Singular Point so far?
Most people seem to agree that while it has it's flaws, it's still a mostly enjoyable anime and still way better than what the heck Polygon churned out a few years ago
Real question - if I hated GvK last month, would I still like this?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:18 pm Real question - if I hated GvK last month, would I still like this?
*Shrugs* hard to really even compare the two, they're almost nothing alike besides the fact they include Godzilla

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I think my complaint are somethings drag a little bit too long,and certain points of the story gets a little bit confusing, other than that I I like this series so far, i’m excited for what’s the come in the next 2 episodes
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:58 pm
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gigantis wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:23 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:18 pm Real question - if I hated GvK last month, would I still like this?
*Shrugs* hard to really even compare the two, they're almost nothing alike besides the fact they include Godzilla
Nothing like GvK is very good!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Singular Point owes a lot to Shin Godzilla but with a larger focus on the science. If you got anything out of Shin Godzilla you'll probably enjoy SP.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:28 pmSingular Point owes a lot to Shin Godzilla
Shin is essentially the 1954 film for the new era. I expect a lot to be inspired by Shin from here on out, though I don't consider SP to be a "spiritual successor"
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Without saying too much, Godzilla Singular Point delivered hard. I think a lot of worries and concerns of what people see prior to release are going to be alleviated. If anyone reading this still doesn't like the series, or has any major complaints, I'll accept them and I have criticisms of my own. But if you were on the fence of whether to watch this or not, I suggest having an open mind. You'll probably like it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Saw a couple of slight spoilers and now I just need to know HOW! I've got so many questions! :lol:

Added in 5 minutes 26 seconds:
Spoiler:
I know Jet Jaguar growing to massive proportions is part of his character but I'm really curious to see how they justify it in-universe.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:25 pm Saw a couple of slight spoilers and now I just need to know HOW! I've got so many questions! :lol:

Added in 5 minutes 26 seconds:
Spoiler:
I know Jet Jaguar growing to massive proportions is part of his character but I'm really curious to see how they justify it in-universe.
Spoiler:
The code for the OD to defeat Godzilla is actually a code that makes the OD use archetype to make JJ grow, and then I think he detonates himself to stop Godzilla.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Ok that was interesting. Still so confused. Animation was a huge step up though. Some glorious shots of Salunga in particular.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.