Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm
Smuggers wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:11 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:51 pm Heads up: While SP is still only out in japan, Japanese Netflix now has English subs for episodes 1-7!
Episode 8 is out now, right? Does it have English subs too? Considering switching over to Netflix because the fansubs being a week behind is frustrating.
Yeah episode 8 has the English subs too!
Hopefully the subs being done means an early June release is in the cards.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:19 pm Yeah episode 8 has the English subs too!
Alright, time to sort out my vpn lol
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

8 episodes in, I feel comfortable writing an early spoiler-free review based on what we have seen so far, in order to entice those that haven't seen any of it yet to get on board:

To summarize: Godzilla SP is sort of thematically and visually a cross between the Late Showa Era and Shin Godzilla; which sounds strange but it works. There is a sense of rising tension throughout the narrative, but slightly goofy characters that try to change and save the world, without having to resort to excessive immature humor. For an anime, the characters are not typical shonen archetypes, so those worried about excessive fan service and hollow shonen tropes don't worry. The characters would fit in right alongside those in Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon.

Speaking of the characters, everyone is excellently designed and decently fleshed out. The Ootaki crew is a group full of fun weirdos, that play off each other very well. Mr. Ootaki is a stand out character that I think will become a fan favorite. It's not a total farce, as their strangeness is balanced out by Mei, a relatively serious grad student, who is balanced out by a cutesy AI (that is surprisingly not annoying). There's other characters like BB, who can be serious, but also have their very distinct personalities. Of course, there's some characters that are just their to deliver dialogue or function as the military, but everything is well rounded.

For the most part, the animation is really good. It doesn't have that trashy "weeaboo design", and is visually distinct from other anime. The 3D animation, because of the way it is stylized and colored, surprisingly fits in well. The action when it kicks off is really exciting, and it's never hard to tell what is going on. There are a FEW brief moments where some of the monsters can look a bit stiff, but for the most part everything is very well animated and integrated.

The make or break of this though for some people, is how much the series focuses on science and jargony stuff. Similar to Shin, a large part of the show involves trying to solve a mystery and it can get super technical. I can imagine that this will be frustrating to some viewers, but to me it's very interesting.

The show is also really good structurally. Stakes gradually ramp up, and as the series progresses the monster action grows and grows. There's no filler.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

7 and 8 are online now for those who can't afford to pay for a VPN.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:43 pm 7 and 8 are online now for those who can't afford to pay for a VPN.
online where? or do you mean, like, on shady websites in general?
Idk if you mean an official place.
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Fri May 14, 2021 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:08 am
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:43 pm 7 and 8 are online now for those who can't afford to pay for a VPN.
online where? or do you mean, like, on shady websites in general?
Idk if you mean an official place.
Both. Episode 7 and 8 have released on animekisa and the official Japanese Netflix, both with English subs
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not positive but from watching Monstrosities review of episode 8 and the one I watched online the new one appears to be a straight rip of the Netflix subs so likely they'll just use those for the rest of the series.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

kaijuguy19 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:16 am Is it ever explained by the showrunners why both Salunga and the Titanosaurus like Godzilla creature aren't new takes on Gabara and the actual Titanosaurus despite them looking clearly like the latter?
Because they went too far and made the Titanosaurus one a mosasaur?
I mean, it'd be Titanosaurus in name only.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 pm
kaijuguy19 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:16 am Is it ever explained by the showrunners why both Salunga and the Titanosaurus like Godzilla creature aren't new takes on Gabara and the actual Titanosaurus despite them looking clearly like the latter?
I dunno if this really counts as a spoiler, but i’ll spoiler it anyways
Spoiler:
Salunga was always meant to be an original, monkey like kaiju specifically for SP, but got changed by the designer to incorporate design elements of Gabara and Baragon. Titanosaurus-Godzilla’s design is just a reference and nod to Titano, nothing less and nothing more
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

IMO this is a new form of edgy, the likes of which we have not seen. *ITS THE OLD CHARACTERS BUT ITS REALLY NEW CHARACTERS DISGUISED AS THE OLD CHARACERS* lol too much for me but still enjoy the story.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:59 pm *ITS THE OLD CHARACTERS BUT ITS REALLY NEW CHARACTERS DISGUISED AS THE OLD CHARACERS*
Yeah, pretty much :lol:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 10:55 pm
I dunno if this really counts as a spoiler, but i’ll spoiler it anyways
Spoiler:
Salunga was always meant to be an original, monkey like kaiju specifically for SP, but got changed by the designer to incorporate design elements of Gabara and Baragon. Titanosaurus-Godzilla’s design is just a reference and nod to Titano, nothing less and nothing more
Well, it works as a reference and a nod - I'm just glad it's not Titano, because I was not a fan of making him a mosasaur.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spoiler:
There might be a reason for choosing Titano, Varan and presumably Gorosaurus. They needed forms to make a comeback, and chose monsters that would make sense. Amphibian looks way more like classic Varan than Aquatalis looks like titano.

The CG world article talked a lot about their design choices for Sarunga, Rodan etc...but didn’t spoil anything about Godzilla. It referred to Aquatalis as “underwater kaiju” and in series neither Aquatalis or Amphibia are used as names”. Despite not really interacting with other monsters as much, it’s easy to imagine how Aquatalis and Amphibia would work as their own incarnations of Varan and Titanosaurus.

Also, did anyone notice that before the explosion, the military speculated that Godzilla will fly? It’s probably the same theory as the throwaway line in shin but it’s funny that they keep teasing one day having a flying Godzilla.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun May 16, 2021 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I hope they go the batshit crazy route and have this literally be another dimension parallel to the other films. That would be so insane. Of course I don't expect that to happen.

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

Spoiler:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:27 am There might be a reason for choosing Titano, Varan and presumably Gorosaurus. They needed forms to make a comeback, and chose monsters that would make sense. Amphibian looks way more like classic Varan than Aquatalis looks like titano.

The CG world article talked a lot about their design choices for Sarunga, Rodan etc...but didn’t spoil anything about Godzilla. It referred to Aquatalis as “underwater kaiju” and in series neither Aquatalis or Amphibia are used as names”. Despite not really interacting with other monsters as much, it’s easy to imagine how Aquatalis and Amphibia would work as their own incarnations of Varan and Titanosaurus.

Also, did anyone notice that before the explosion, the military speculated that Godzilla will fly? It’s probably the same theory as the throwaway line in shin but it’s funny that they keep teasing one day having a flying Godzilla.
I would actually be down to see a flying Godzilla in this.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun May 16, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Hey sorry, I accidentally posted one of the above posts thinking we were in the other spoiler thread, and noticed a few other members are doing that too. I added spoiler tags to those but let’s please be careful!

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:41 am Hey sorry, I accidentally posted one of the above posts thinking we were in the other spoiler thread, and noticed a few other members are doing that too. I added spoiler tags to those but let’s please be careful!
I did not realize this was the spoiler-free thread either. I need to pay attention.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Hi!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

YES

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Ooh! Just a little over a month away, my hype is palpable!
And nice picture of SP Goji doing his blast, can't wait to see it in animation!